Back To The 70's

Movie premieres were big during the 70s, especially after martial law. It was only during the premiere that the entire movie could be shown uncut.

The premieres I attended/watched:

"The Man with the Golden Gun"

"The Pacific Connection" (with Roland Dantes, promoting Arnis)

What we called our friends then: pare, brad, tol, parj. No one called another person "dude." That was just too American, and during the 70s it was good (it was "in") to be Pinoy, from the Juan de la Cruz band to Banyuhay, from Florante to Sampaguita to Freddie Aguilar. You were admired if you could use the local language well. In music, there were practically no English language compositions from Filipino artists. No way, dude.

There are some English language songs though like

'Show me your smile' by APO

'Dyin to tell you' by Hot Dog

but most hits were written in Taglish

You're a 70's person if you know the meaning of sward.

Alam ko yan, pareng storm. Ayoko lang sabihin! Ikaw na magsabi. Di ba yan ang tawag mo kay Richard Chamberlain na bida sa "The Thorn Birds"? Yun nga lang, e, ibang term ang gamit mo noon. Yung term ba ma naiintindihan ng mga younger MTC folks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by jt2003
Alam ko yan, pareng storm. Ayoko lang sabihin! Ikaw na magsabi. Di ba yan ang tawag mo kay Richard Chamberlain na bida sa "The Thorn Birds"? Yun nga lang, e, ibang term ang gamit mo noon. Yung term ba ma naiintindihan ng mga younger MTC folks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the 70's, the sward language was born. Plus the 'f' and 'h' words.

Ano fi? Fafa. :D :lol:

Fafunta na ko.

Beh boteh nga.

Hanu name moh? Jhun or Pheter or Jhennie or Mharithess, or Yohleeh, whathever

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nakhakhakihlabhot sa kabhadhuyahn.

Whiz koh ma take. Vavu. Fafasok na ko.

BADAF, badaf forever. Ang Charing.

Because of pareng Anaheim doon sa dead celebrities thread, I remembered "Baltic and Company." So 70s!

I don't remember if Prospero Luna was the first Baltic or if he was the replacement. What I do know is that the first Baltic died of a heart attack. But Bert Marcelo couldn't get along with the replacement. So Pugak came into the picture. The Pugak character (I can't remember his name) was introduced in the Bulletin cartoon, but I don't know if the character has remained in the cartoon.

Aside from Bert Marcelo, who played Dyani, the other performers were:

Prospero Luna (Baltic)

Angelo Castro Jr. (sino nga ba siya doon? now an ABS-CBN biggie)

Menchu Genato, now Menchu Jenson (Bebs)

________ Manalo (Tom)

Mely Tagasa (Miss Tapia)

The original Baltic (???)

I can't remember who played Mr. Golem. But he looked a bit like Eddie Gil.

I also wonder if Roni Santiago ever got compensated for the use of "Miss Tapia" in "Iskul Bukol."

You know you're from the 70s when ... YOU ACTUALLY BEGIN READING OBITUARIES.

No kidding.

You look for former bosses, revered mentors, old friends, people you haven't heard from for a long time, former girlfriends, long lost people, etc.

When my former boss told me about this (reading obituaries) many years ago, I thought it was a joke. How wrong I was.

the seventies brought about 'biggies' in showbiz

prospero luna as baltic in baltic and company

cecille inigo as dabiana, she as actually chosen in a nationwide search for the lead character for a series of movies

mong - forgot the guy who played the part (carvajal?) a bano basketball player who stood 8 feet tall

Because of pareng Anaheim doon sa dead celebrities thread, I remembered "Baltic and Company." So 70s!

I don't remember if Prospero Luna was the first Baltic or if he was the replacement. What I do know is that the first Baltic died of a heart attack. But Bert Marcelo couldn't get along with the replacement. So Pugak came into the picture. The Pugak character (I can't remember his name) was introduced in the Bulletin cartoon, but I don't know if the character has remained in the cartoon.

Prospero Luna (Baltic)

________ Manalo (Tom)

Mely Tagasa (Miss Tapia)

I also wonder if Roni Santiago ever got compensated for the use of "Miss Tapia" in "Iskul Bukol."

Mely Tagasa was a guest at Bubble Gang last friday as Miss Tapia. She was touched (almost teary-eyed) by members of the bubble gang cast when was "honored" for her role as miss tapia. she had played miss tapia half of her life...nagpahaging pa sya kung puede ba raw i-revive yung miss tapia role niya sa bubble gang.

yup, naalala ko nga yung unang mr baltic na kamukha rin ni prospero luna...biglang naging si prospero luna na nga ang sumunod na gumanap....can't remember the original's name. can't remember angelo castro, jr's name character but I do know anak siya ni Pugak in real life.

hahha...oo kamukha ni eddie gil yung mr golem na maliit.

I recommend the movie STARSKY AND HUTCH (2004) starring Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. it got the 70s look. meron pang cameo ng original starsky and hutch - paul michael glaser and david soul. it's a hilarious movie ...very 70s yung mga music....that's the way i like it (kc and the sunshine band), love will keep us together (captain and tenille), my eyes adored you, afternoon delight, we've only just begun (carpenters). there's even a scene where Owen Wilson sang "Don't Give up on us" (david soul original)

post-52-1087819908.jpg

I recommend the movie STARSKY AND HUTCH (2004) starring Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. it got the 70s look. meron pang cameo ng original starsky and hutch - paul michael glaser and david soul. it's a hilarious movie ...very 70s yung mga music....that's the way i like it (kc and the sunshine band), love will keep us together (captain and tenille), my eyes adored you, afternoon delight, we've only just begun (carpenters). there's even a scene where Owen Wilson sang "Don't Give up on us" (david soul original)

I haven't seen it yet (I'll just wait for it to appear on HBO), but one thing they really got right was the tumbling. During the first year of "Starsky & Hutch," before the producers and the network had to deal with the anti-violence movement, "Starsky & Hutch" was really a bang-bang show. And I don't think an episode passed without Starsky or Hutch doing that tumbling bit. I tried it when I was still very young. Ang sakit!!

And how about that pilot, which had Hutch jumping on to the top of his car and landing on his behind (and feeling no pain!!!!).

Prospero Luna (Baltic)

________ Manalo (Tom)

Mely Tagasa (Miss Tapia)

pareng jt, fill in ko lang yung blanks. the first mr. baltic was mamerto ________ (can't recall the surname). yes, he died of a heart attack. si angelo castro was bong, yung lumiligaw kay babes. tom was ricky manalo, a great actor and comedian. he succumbed to kidney failure.

cecille inigo as dabiana, she as actually chosen in a nationwide search for the lead character for a series of movies

mong - forgot the guy who played the part (carvajal?) a bano basketball player who stood 8 feet tall

pareng robbie, si mong was 6'8 bonnie de jesus at ang partner niya si melanie marquez. i think he played briefly sa pba pero medyo lampa. si ed carvajal was 6'6 and played for crispa kasabay nila guidaben and hubalde. he died after hitting his head sa wall. si bonnie ata passed away na rin.

speaking of comic strips, do you guys remember nonoy marcelo's tisoy? some of the characters.

jimmy morato - tisoy

mely tagasa - miss tapia din ata

veronica palileo - pomposa

clip - _________

tiquio - bert marcelo???

maribubut - pilar pilapil??

some words, expressions and abbreviations

yeba! (ex-manila mayor villegas' expression)

yoyo (relo)

canu (constabulary anti-narcotics unit)

asso (arrest, search and seizure order)

mogs, ekis, tikoy, corex, shake (favored drugs)

sibat (leave)

haaay...really miss the 70's

speaking of comic strips, do you guys remember nonoy marcelo's tisoy? some of the characters.

jimmy morato - tisoy

clip - _________

tiquio - bert marcelo???

Don't forget Moody Diaz - she played and was a dead ringer for Aling Otik..Also, I vaguely remember Joey "Pepe" Smith in the cast. I may be mistaken but wasn't he the one who had the role of Tisoy?

You know you're from the 70s when ... YOU ACTUALLY BEGIN READING OBITUARIES.

No kidding.

You look for former bosses, revered mentors, old friends, people you haven't heard from for a long time, former girlfriends, long lost people, etc.

When my former boss told me about this (reading obituaries) many years ago, I thought it was a joke. How wrong I was.

Yeah, you're right.

I saw the sister of my ex-gf and siempre I asked how is she? She was so surprised that I didn't know that her sister is dead. She died last year, and it was published in the obituaries of both The Bulletin and The Inquirer. They didn't know how to reach me. It was an awkward moment. Sad and awkward.

Please add Dely Atay-atayan. The mother-in-law of Dolphy's John in John & Marsha.

She always had the last say in that sitcom --- "Kaya ikaw John, magtsumikap ka ng hindi..... etc., etc," :D

And si Dolphy ang nagpauso ng mahabang shorts na uso pa hanggang ngayon ---

PURUNTONG shorts.

Puruntong being John's surname. :lol: :lol:

turning 44 sa sept

Tol, post ka rin dun sa 36 and above ni Kyut sa MTC groups and chapters.

Mga tols,

Nung 1978, una kong narinig yung term na 'eyeball'. That was the time the CB or citizen band radio was the craze among young people. Pinasikat ito ng movie Smokey and the Bandit if my memory serves me right.

Kailan kaya magkaka-eyeball ang mga posters dito?

Eyeball tayo? 10-4?

jimmy morato - tisoy

clip - _________

tiquio - bert marcelo???

some words, expressions and abbreviations

yeba! (ex-manila mayor villegas' expression)

yoyo (relo)

canu (constabulary anti-narcotics unit)

asso (arrest, search and seizure order)

mogs, ekis, tikoy, corex, shake (favored drugs)

sibat (leave)

haaay...really miss the 70's

Hindi ba 60's pa yang Tisoy?

Nonoy Marcelo is dead. He's a kababayan from Malabon. A friend of my dad.

I had him signed my Ikabod book pero nawawala na ngayon. Sayang.