Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

hahah! shogun who?!

the pride boys are getting their ass kicked in the octagon

well, except for rampage

shogun's conditioning is really bad. 2nd round palang and he's already that tired

bye silva vs liddell! hahah

Oo nga. Disappointed si Silva na natalo si Lidell. Ako din :thumbsdownsmiley:

c'mon guys, don't dismiss Shogun that fast.. naging matagal ang layoff nya inbetween this fight and his last, around 7 months after he fought Alistair Overeem.. training is waaay different than the actual fight, the pace of the entire thing is waay different, & ring rust really got into Shogun.. kung titignan nyo ung timeframes nung mga gap inbetween his fights ang matagal lang before the Overeem fight is when he got injured during his fight with Coleman (around 7 months din) & after he defeated Akihiro Gono (mga around 8 months).. normally around 2 months lang ang pagitan inbetween fights, & for someone to be inactive for longer than that is really tough.. sana lang hindi idismiss kaagad si Shogun kasi after that loss he's still there in the top 10, & i'm sure makakabawi din yan pagbalik nya..

not taking away from Forrest though, he's vastly improved after losing to Jardine..

after UFC 76, Tyson Griffin reminds me now of Roger Huerta. puro biased decisions IMO. that's two consecutive now, after "beating" Clay Guda. i had Tavares on AT LEAST a split decision.

well, nangyari nga ang sitwasyon na nabanggit ko: Iceman got Nyquil'd! :lol: dissapointed si WAND, pero there's always Tito Ortiz diba...

and somewhere in the States, Mr. Kos is screaming:

19 AND TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by SevenZeroFive
hahah! shogun who?!

the pride boys are getting their ass kicked in the octagon

^ Shogun Rua, who broke Quinton Jackson's ribs and KO'd him. c'mon, don't diss on him this early, he'll be back after he adjusts.

and don't generalize about the PRIDE boys. Anderson Silva came from PRIDE, & he's the Middleweight champion. Big Nog is a former PRIDE Heavyweight Champ, & he won against Herring. just because Cro Cop wasn't successful doesn't mean that all PRIDE fighters won't be. Wanderlei did fight for the UFC Light Heavyweight Title before, so there's at least one dude who knows his way around the octagon.

i haven't seen the fight yet. will just torrent it. :)

^ if you can DL the whole card, do so. really good card top to bottom, & that's 2 in a row now that the UFC has delivered a great card (including Ultimate Fight Night 11 couple of weeks ago). the only boring fight was the Nakamura - Machida fight, but everything else was really good. will post links for fight clips if i get them. :thumbsupsmiley:

i was on the road & was taking a look back on the Liddell - Jardine fight, & despite the word from the street that Chuck did have a great training camp it seemed to me that he wasn't able to adapt well to Jardine's style enough to sustain it for 3 rounds. round 1 was close with both guys connecting, but rounds 2 & 3 showed no adjustments in Chuck, kinda like Diego Sanchez when he fought Koscheck. the pattern of attack was already there, but Chuck really didn't make any adjustments at all inbetween rounds. he didn't check the kicks, he wasn't able to push the pace, & he let Jardine control the tempo of the fight. maybe Chuck forgot that he was a pure-bred kickboxer that knows how to check low kicks.

just read an article on Yahoo! Sports on how PRIDE made myths out of its fighters but then those fighters faltered when they shifted to the UFC. for those considering that idea, don't. please. it's a whole different scenario when these fighters jumped into the UFC. it's unfortunate what happened to Cro Cop, but for every PRIDE fighter who fails on their first try in the UFC, being compared immediately to Cro Cop is unfair. trust me, give Shogun time to adjust to the octagon & he'll be back on the winners' circle in no time. and for those who will dismiss Wanderlei Silva at this moment because of what has happened to all those PRIDE fighters that have stepped on the octagon & failed, look at Anderson Silva & Big Nog. and remember, WAND did fight for the UFC Light Heavyweight Title before, so he knows his way around the UFC.

Maybe if Shogun didnt have that long lay off and of course the adjustment to octagon rules and stuff like that(and another thing his cardio didnt fail him) we will be seeing Forrest sitting in a gym crying..

Tyson Griffin irritates me, he stole one against Clay then he stole another one against Huerta..

Jardine in my opinion played a very tactical striking match, Jardine took advantage of kicks, he wasn't agressive.. Susundot sya ng mga body kicks then mga left or right hands sa head..

*Jon Fitch is for real!! :) damn, was he good beating down Diego "the nightmare" Sanchez, he countered everything this kid could do, from the stand-up up to the ground, he neutralized submissions from the jujitsu expert with ease, he controlled the fight from start to finish, i was really surprised to hear the commentators (esp. joe rogan) saying that sanchez was partly winning the fight due to his numerous submission attempts that were countered by Fitch, it was a deserved win for Jon Fitch & i'm excited to see his future matches in the UFC. The question is what's next for Diego Sanchez, after losing two matches consecutively.

*As earlier posts have said, don't count Shogun Rua out just yet, he had a long lay-off in between fights & he is new to the UFC, i'm excited to watch his future fights in the UFC once he gets the hang of it. I was very disappointed with Shogun's conditioning for the match, Griffin was the more prepared fighter, he deserved the win, i think Shogun also underestimated Griffin, Forrest showed that he wasn't just for show, he was the real thing :)..

*Following the disappointing performance of Rua, I got depressed watching the Liddell-Jardine fight. Liddell is one of my favorite fighters in the UFC and watching him get beat by Jardine was just depressing, not taking anything away from Jardine, he fought a great fight, but i think Liddell lost something after his defeat to Jackson, I don't quite know what that is, the psychological advantage i guess he had against his opponents, he has become beatable now, some might say he is past his prime after reigning the light heavyweight division for 4 years. I'm just hoping he can get his groove back just like Couture did when he came back, i just hope the disappointment and the shame of failing twice in a row was not enough to falter the Iceman's comeback to the UFC..

Next up..UFC 77 HOSTILE TERRITORY (OCT. 20, 2007)

RICH FRANKLIN VS ANDERSON SILVA

TIM SYLVIA VS BRANDON VERA

I'm rooting for Anderson "the spider" Silva & our own kababayan, Brandon Vera to win their respective matches..:)

Don't forget to consider that Chute Boxe loses half of their patented arsenal with UFC rules.

As for the Iceman, I think he needs more and better training partners. Perhaps teaming up with Franklin, Vera or even Arlovski may do wonders.

As for Chute Boxe, they need two things:

1 a good boxing coach. Their hand techniques are horrible

2. Conditioning coach. Perhaps Teaming up with Randy's camp which Wand started may be a good thing

Well, Liddell is more of a one-hit wonder type of fighter, either he knocks down his opponent or he gets knocked. He looked like a one-dimensional fighter because he never let his opponent take the game into the ground. His takedown defense is legendary, to say the least. Not even Randy Couture capitalized on his ground and pound game in their three fights...

So when's the replay?

^^I don't think Liddell is one dimensional. He has great wrestling background, mas naaemphasize lang yung stand because he likes to brawl. And mostly he has a reach advantage sa kalaban nya. Kaya mas pinipili nyang mag stand up.

Kung one dimensional fightter si Liddell pano nya na counter ang mga takedown ng mga world class wrestler example the 2nd and 3rd fight with Couture. It takes a little a more than a know how in the ground game to do that.

BAka nawala lang talaga yung psychological advantage nya. Pati sabi nga nila nagpabaya lang talaga sya. Or nagstep up lang talaga si Jardine

chuck liddell = mirko crocop. LOL!!! :thumbsdownsmiley:

they both lost 2 straight, with round 1 KO and decision loss.

Chuck escapes Silva's grasp once again. Does Chuck have nothing else, but fists? You'd think after not being able to connect cleanly after two rounds, and being dropped himself, he might try something new.

watch silva's reaction before and after liddell lost...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j253/Okkun/mma/mayhem_lurking.gif

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x136/ILLTU/wanderleimayhem.gif

eto muna, since someone requested for links...

Thiago Tavares vs Tyson Griffin (UFC 76)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FRK3JC27

or

http://rapidshare.com/files/57598919/Thiag...in__UFC_76_.asf

Jon Fitch vs Diego Sanchez (UFC 76)

http://rapidshare.com/files/57605750/Jon_F...ez__UFC_76_.asf

or

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YS5SMIU3

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs Forrest Griffin (UFC 76)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X951LRNA

or

http://rapidshare.com/files/57609369/Mauri...in__UFC_76_.asf

Chuck Liddell vs Keith Jardine (UFC 76)

http://rapidshare.com/files/57613953/Chuck...ne__UFC_76_.asf

or

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R2C9UZK0

more from the undercard soon as it's available :cool:

Edited by SevenZeroFive

very interesting discussion regarding Chuck i must say.. i guess i can draw parallelisms to what happened to Vitor Belfort, although it's obvious that Liddell enjoyed far more success than Belfort. Vitor came in with so much hype, a 19 year old BJJ black belt under Carlson Gracie with lightning quick hands the likes never been seen before in the SEG-era UFC. then he gets methodically beaten by Randy Couture, & suddenly Vitor was in a downward spiral. he never really recovered from that loss, save for an impressive TKO over Marvin Eastman (i'm not counting his title reign as UFC Light Heavyweight Champion because Couture got seriously injured during that fight). same might be said about Liddell, who was being billed as the greatest light heavyweight in the history of the UFC (which i completely disagree; i rank Couture & Frank Shamrock higher than Liddell) after stopping Couture for a 2nd time. so much hype (media coverage, cameos in Entourage, etc.), and as Smokin' Joe Rogan said during UFC 76, Chuck was living the rockstar lifestyle. then he gets stopped by Quinton Jackson, & now he has been decisively beaten by a fighter who was, along with his fellow TUF alums, dismissed as "manufactured TV stars".

as far as styles go, Chuck's is too predictable at this point in time. he's got a great skill set, world class striking with an awesome sprawl, but his striking stance leaves him open for counters & gives him little room for attack. throwing looping punches takes longer than throwing inside the pocket, & i think Greg Jackson & Jardine saw that as an opportunity for them to formulate counters and methods of attack, & it proved to be successful. and yes, he has forgotten the kicks. being a kickboxer at heart, he should've been more than able to at least check those low kicks.

the only way Chuck Liddell can bounce back is when something (or someone) lights a fire under his a** so hot he's gonna burn his next opponent. at the UFC 76 post-event presscon he said he'll "think about it" when he was asked if the loss to Jardine marks the end of the Ice Age. he can't go out like that. maybe Wanderlei Silva needs to tell Chuck again that he wants to f*** him. :lol:

(btw, despite Liddell's loss, i still think the proposed Liddell-Silva fight for 12/29 should still continue. the angles are perfect for a big money PPV: two fighters enduring their respective 2-fight losing streaks & are both on a crossroads. it will still be an intriguing matchup.)

Jon Fitch has been under the radar for so long because the welterweight division is so stacked. imagine being in the same weight class as GSP, Hughes, BJ, Serra, plus the TUF guys & some imports. Fitch has a solid camp behind him (training at American Kickboxing Academy with Mike Swick & Mr. Kos), & he is a NCAA Div. 1 All-American at Purdue with really solid BJJ & striking. he is that good, & Diego recognized that after he lost. he should be next in line for the winner of GSP-Serra 2.

what i also saw in the Fitch-Sanchez fight is that Diego has shrugged off the dissapointment of the loss to Mr. Kos. his performance in that fight, albeit in a losing effort, was one of the best performances i've seen from him in the entire time i've seen him in the UFC. he retained his ultra-aggressive pace while looking to finish the fight with submissions, and that shows that Diego is learning new things from his new camp in City Boxing (Brandon Vera's former training camp). if i can speak to Diego, i'd say to him that he should forget his first "destiny" of being undefeated. with the 2 losses he has suffered he has nothing but good things ahead, because he is that driven to succeed. and that should be his next destiny, to be the first TUF alumnus to become UFC champion.

Wand calls out Forrest

This is taken from Wanderlei's web site -

Wanderlei says he would like to fight with Forrest Griffin

Wanderlei Silva was an outstanding personality at UFC 76, taken place on September 22. Wanderlei was invited by Dana White to attend the event and challenge Chuck Lidell, in case the latter won. But it was a sad night for both Lidell and the Brazilian Shogun, who lost their fights.

What Wanderlei has to say about the event: “UFC took place in a very good gymnasium, very large; here these events have been growing continuously. This week I worked a lot on the event advertising making use of my popularity that is big here. Just to give an idea, we had an autograph session that gathered about 500 people, on a huge line. The warmth of my fans was very nice. I realize that everyone is anxious about my first fight, including myself. I’ve been training very hard, every day, with a lot of focus. My responsibility towards Brazilians has grown a lot due to the results of the last fights. This is also very motivating to me. It is important for the sport to bring joy to the fans and this becomes the fighters’ responsibility.

Lidell’s fight had a direct relationship with me because Dana White had said I would challenge him if he won. I was disappointed with the defeat because Lidell’s opponent is good, he has his merit but was not so qualified to defeat him. I believed Lidell was going to win and I was disappointed with the result. I hoped to perform against him in December and now I will have to wait for another name. It was a balanced, hard fight; I think Lidell should have prepared better in view of the importance of this combat.

As to Shogun, I didn’t manage to see him; I only watched the fight. I was very sad, both as a Brazilian and as a personal friend; I was cheering a lot for him. I was very frustrated with the defeat, it was unexpected. I thought it would be an easy fight for him. I hope he comes back, training hard and next time show his potential. MMA has greatly evolved and we should be tuned to such innovations, realizing that this sport is more and more specific and scientific. It does not take only a heart to win a fight any longer. Shogun has the talent and it all depends exclusively upon him. He will figure out what went wrong and will not make the same mistakes next time. Yesterday he was not the Shogun who I know. I hope he continues bringing joy to this fans including myself, for I am also his fan.

As to a name to face in December: “I’d like, in view of the last event and also as a vengeance for my friend, to fight with this Forrest Griffin. I guess it could be a good name for me.”

Chuck Liddell Ponders Retirement (Story from Yahoo! Sports)

UFC president Dana White said Sunday that after a lengthy conversation with The Iceman Chuck Liddell Saturday, he would not be surprised if Liddell retires from mixed martial arts competition.

Liddell, a former UFC light heavyweight champion and its biggest drawing card, lost his second fight in a row on Saturday when he dropped a split decision to Keith Jardine at UFC 76 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, who knocked Liddell out in the first round of a May 26 bout in Las Vegas to lift the light heavyweight title from him, speculated that Liddell may have been gun-shy.

But White, Liddell’s former manager and a close personal friend, speculated that Liddell may simply no longer have the passion to fight. White said he didn’t see the fire that Liddell used to exhibit and that it resulted in a flat performance. At the post-fight news conference, Liddell deferred questions about his future. He said he would go home and think about whether he would fight again, which in and of itself was newsworthy since he’d never had given an indication before that he was remotely considering that option.

But White said he spoke with Liddell in the locker room and they had a frank discussion.

“There’s a hunger thing that you have to have to be an elite fighter and I just didn’t see a Chuck Liddell who was as hungry as he used to be,” White said Sunday. “Chuck has made a lot of money in this business and he’s done a lot of things, but he wasn’t the Chuck of old.

“Chuck was never a guy who fought for money; he fought because he loved to fight. He’d just as soon go out and fight in the back yard for free as fight before 20,000 people on a card he was making a ton of money because he just loved to fight.“

Jackson said he wasn’t sure Liddell was willing to stand in the pocket and trade blows, hallmarks of a career that will soon land Liddell in the UFC’s Hall of Fame.

Jackson couldn’t pinpoint why, but suggested some fighters have difficulty overcoming a knockout loss. “I think Chuck was probably a little gun-shy,” Jackson said. “I went through it when I lost to Wanderlei (Silva) and so I know what it’s like. I could see it. Jardine was, too, but not as gun-shy as Chuck.

“It depends on the person and how strong they are for how long it takes to get that out of you.“

Liddell dismissed the notion, saying “I don’t feel it affected me.“

White sided with Liddell on that issue and pointed to the way Liddell came out quickly at the start of the fight. He landed a right hand early that raised a welt on Jardine’s bald head, though Jardine joked after the fight that “Sometimes, I start bleeding when I walk into the cage.“

White said he thought Liddell became fatigued and discussed Liddell’s training habits with him. Liddell is a night owl who likes to attend clubs even in the nights before he fights.

But White said Sunday that Liddell told him that he had taken good care of himself and wasn’t club-hopping.

“He said he was getting his sleep and he was eating the right things and that he wasn’t going out at all,” White said. “I don’t know. Chuck just wasn’t Chuck. That’s not the kind of a fight I’m going to remember Chuck for when he eventually does quit. “Chuck was a guy with that killer instinct. Remember the way he went right after Tito (Ortiz) in their first fight? That’s kind of the perfect example of who Chuck Liddell was as a fighter, but I didn’t see those same things last night.“

When asked about the pressure to win in order to fight Wanderlei Silva Liddell replied "Honestly man, I don't think I can bang with him, I want to, but physically I just can't do it. He is a big strong guy and hits hard."

If Liddell retires, the UFC will lose its top drawing card. Liddell was the main drawing card in the three biggest live gates in the company’s history and in North American mixed martial arts history. His Dec. 30 rematch with Ortiz at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas brought in a record live gate of $5.39 million.

But White said the UFC will survive even if Liddell opts to retire.

“At the end of the day, we have so many talented fighters in the UFC that we’ll be fine,” White said. “We’re not a one-trick pony, that’s for sure. Chuck is always going to be a part of the UFC, whether he’s fighting or not, but we’re definitely not going to be in any kind of trouble if he quits.

“He needs to do what’s right for him and not worry about us. This isn’t the kind of sport you can be in half-heartedly. If you don’t have the passion for it, it’s time to get out. Only Chuck really knows how he feels, but you wonder because he hasn’t looked the same, fire-wise, in either of these last two fights.“

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j253/Okkun/mma/mayhem_lurking.gif

LMAO @ MayheM!

saw the replay last night. (saw only 2 fights, griffin/tavares and shogun/griffin)

first off the griffin/tavares fight was a really close one. both guys really brought it last night, and griffin's sub defense is excellent. Joe Rogan said it best when he said that the 10point scoring system might not be enough for that fight, and it really wasn't. The UFC really should think about a new scoring system to take into account all the facets of an MMA fight and not just boxing. I have personally found it absurd to have boxing judges do the scoring.

shogun wasn't the shogun I knew. It looks like he took the fight lightly and didn't train as hard as he should have. Forest isn't that good (really he isn't) but this kid's got heart and he can be really really dangerous if he smells blood, because he doesn't stop until he pounds the snot out of you, even if his face gets pounded in the same way. But admittedly Forest really got better since the last time I saw him fight. Shogun will be back, once he gets the hang of the octagon, trains smart and develops a game plan against his opponent, he will be a force.

I don't want to say it but I think Chuck is through.

He's 37 years old, and he parties hard. Not everyone is as disciplined as Randy Couture and go on to fight when their into their 40s.

Chuck isn't really one dimensional, although he doesn't have a grappling/wrestling pedigree like Randy or Wand, he's developed a takedown defense that suits his overall fighting style. The only reason you don't see his ground game, is he never lets the fight get to the ground. But the thing with Chuck, he really leans on that 1 punch KO of his, he throws very few combinations, and just sort of waits for that perfect moment.

again LOL @ MayheM

eto muna, since someone requested for links...

Thiago Tavares vs Tyson Griffin (UFC 76)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FRK3JC27

or

http://rapidshare.com/files/57598919/Thiag...in__UFC_76_.asf

Jon Fitch vs Diego Sanchez (UFC 76)

http://rapidshare.com/files/57605750/Jon_F...ez__UFC_76_.asf

or

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YS5SMIU3

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs Forrest Griffin (UFC 76)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X951LRNA

or

http://rapidshare.com/files/57609369/Mauri...in__UFC_76_.asf

Chuck Liddell vs Keith Jardine (UFC 76)

http://rapidshare.com/files/57613953/Chuck...ne__UFC_76_.asf

or

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R2C9UZK0

more from the undercard soon as it's available :cool:

file not found