Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Nice find on the youth pics. Diaz brothers bata pa lang mukhang pang labanan na eh!

Go Brandon Vera. I hope he gets a KO win.

Sayang talaga pride. I'm not much that into the Pride vs. UFC fighter thing pero Pride shows were definitely a spectacle. Sa music and entrances, video presentations, ultimo announcers (haha, astig nga yung babae na announcer kasi talagang sigaw na nakakagulat pagka deliver eh) tumitindig balahibo ko habang nanonood.

Tsaka may pagka WWE factor sila in hyping up matches, complete with staredowns, calling out sa ring. Anyway, I hope the UFC adopts some of the better aspects of pride to make their events even more exciting, tutal asa kanila na halos lahat ng best fighters ngayon. (Sana mag sign na si Fedor soon! Kahit hindi UFC basta lumaban na ulit!!!)

if brandon vera id still at the very least still as good as he was........he would win over tim sylvia

one big question is how good does he take a punch???.....we have never really seen him been hit hard

two things i like about pride is bas rutten.....i really like his insights because viewers can learn from him....as fro joe rogan, he mostly repeats the fighters credentials....randy couture doesn't talk much and the tall guy ( mark goldberg???) just asks questions

the number one reason i prefer pride is that all bouts are main events......no under cards....they always pit two good fighters that are popular

if brandon vera id still at the very least still as good as he was........he would win over tim sylvia

one big question is how good does he take a punch???.....we have never really seen him been hit hard

two things i like about pride is bas rutten.....i really like his insights because viewers can learn from him....as fro joe rogan, he mostly repeats the fighters credentials....randy couture doesn't talk much and the tall guy ( mark goldberg???) just asks questions

the number one reason i prefer pride is that all bouts are main events......no under cards....they always pit two good fighters that are popular

Tim Sylvia winning by brutal KO in the 1st round.

^ i'd crack a different joke on this one, but i'd now say that the chances of this one happening is like Fedor finally signing with the UFC.

and, speaking of Fedor:

FEDOR COMMITS TO M-1

PRIDE Heavyweight Champion To Headline First Show Under New Ownership

By Loretta Hunt (loretta@thefightnetwork.com)

PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko has committed exclusively to the new ownership of M-1 Mix-Fight Championship, which has been purchased outright by an undisclosed American entertainment-related company, according to a source close to the deal who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Established in 1997, the St. Petersburg-based M-1 held over 30 events under the ownership of Russian businessman Vadim Finkelstein, also the long-time manager of the much-sought-after Emelianenko. Finkelstein is also the proprietor of the Red Devil Sports Club, a facility and team that houses numerous Russian fighters, including PRIDE veteran Roman Zentsov and former UFC middleweight Andrei Semenov.

The source confirmed the new ownership has infused a substantial amount of capital into the organization. Finkelstein and others will stay on to assist in running the company, which will continue to promote under a variation of the M-1 name. The new M-1 will take more of a global stance, and Emelianenko (26-1) will headline its inaugural event as early as January or February, possibly in the U.S., the source said.

On March 27, Ultimate Fighting Championship majority owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta bought the assets of PRIDE, only to discover Emelianenko had previously signed a non-exclusive, non-transferable contract with its former owners, Dream Stage Entertainment.

As late as September, UFC president Dana White had insisted a deal with Emelianenko was imminent, though repeated negotiations between Finkelstein, colleague Apy Echteld and the Las Vegas outlet could not produce an agreement to bring the Stary Oskol resident to the famed Octagon. A major point of contention was White’s insistence Emelianenko sign an exclusive contract with the American promotion, which would exclude Emelianenko’s participation in Sambo competitions. Emelianenko is a three-time World Combat Sambo champion and ambassador for the sport in his homeland.

Undefeated in 24 fights (including one no contest), Emelianenko is widely received as the world’s top pound-for-pound fighter. The 31-year-old former Army firefighter rose to the top of PRIDE’s ranks by besting standouts like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (30-4-1) and Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (22-6-2). Emelianenko submitted 2000 Olympic Greco-Roman silver medallist Matt Lindland (20-5) at Bodog Fight “Clash of the Nations” on April 14 in St. Petersburg, Russia. He has not competed since.

A formal announcement of the purchase, as well as plans for the new organization’s first event, is expected by the end of this month.

Andrei Arlovski on Jerry Springer show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4qyLrwgM0c

Fedor signs with M-1:

Top-ranked fighter and PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (26-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) — the most sought-after free agent in mixed-martial arts — has reportedly inked a new deal with the Russian-based M-1 Mix-Fight Championship promotion.

News of the possible signing was first reported by Frank Trigg as part of his TAGG Radio program earlier this month, and The Fight Network today reportedly confirmed the signing with an anonymous source close to the deal.

If the reports prove true, the UFC has seen perhaps the biggest name in MMA slip through its fingers.

Trigg broke news of the contract on Oct. 4 (which, ironically, was the same day I was a guest on the show) and said Emelianenko was offered a contract from M-1 worth $10 million.

According to today’s report from The Fight Network, M-1 was recently purchased by an “American entertainment-related company” that pumped additional funds into the 10-year-old promotion. M-1 had been owned by Russian businessman Vadim Finkelstein, who also serves as manager of Emelianenko and his Red Devil Sports Club teammates.

The news will come as a disappointment to UFC fans who were hopeful that current UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture would next defend his title against Emelianenko at a Feb. 2 show in Las Vegas. Fight fans had been teased by the possible matchup for much of 2007.

Soon after UFC officials announced they had purchased PRIDE earlier this year, the organization began negotiations to sign Emelianenko when it was learned his contract was non-transferable. In less than a year, the UFC had taken one of its weakest divisions and stocked it with a stable of world-class heavyweights, including Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovoc, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Fabricio Werdum and — thanks to an unimaginable return from retirement — Couture. However, the heavyweight division was lacking the world’s consensus No. 1 fighter.

Earlier this year, a source inside the UFC told MMAjunkie.com that the general consensus among staffers was that the Emelianenko signing was “inevitable.” UFC President Dana White has said as much during the past few months, though he admitted that one sticking point of his proposed contract — that Emelianenko would not be permitted to fight outside the UFC — was met with resistance.

Tim Sylvia winning by brutal KO in the 1st round.

LOL

this fight is gonna be close for sure but I don't think Big Tim can finish Brandon in that way

Brandon is the real deal, how you ask?

Excellent on the ground:

- Brandon competed in ADCC...as a blue belt. Not many BJJ practitioners can compete at Purple let alone Blue, but Brandon was good enough to compete while still at Blue.

- I've read he was ranked 6th in the US at Greco-Roman, and he wrestled for Div 1 school Old Dominion, before joining the Air Force where he wrestled too.

- he was once Pan-Am BJJ Champ

- He trained at the US Olympic Training Center where the basic requirements for entry is that you have to be at least in the top 8 in your sport/division.

Excellent on his feet

- he was once WKA Amateur Muay Thai Champion and at one point was contracted to fight in K1

- Trains with Rob Kaman

- Has had numerous KO victories in MMA, particularly in the UFC.

IMO he's the first truly hybrid fighter in MMA today. He just doesn't know how to survive in any of the 4 ranges, he can be a FORCE in any of the four and dominate you anywhere. Vera's one of the few that can actually bring all the disciplines together, and use them to dominate you in any way he wants.

he'll be champ someday, and I'm saying this not because I'm Pinoy but because I'm an MMA fan, and I haven't seen anyone that's as complete as Vera today.

check out this highlight:

Dailymotion-Brandon Vera Highlight

Edited by Larry

I agree with Larry.

Most MMA fighters have their specialty and a little of the rest. Vera can dominate as a striker and as a submission fighter. Tim Sylvia's size would just be a disadvantage against Vera's speed. I just hope the long break did not make him rusty.

No prediction on how but Vera will win. :thumbsupsmiley:

BREAKING NEWS: RANDY COUTURE QUITS UFC, RELINQUISHES HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE

from The Fight Network

By Brian Knapp

At the height of its power and popularity, the Ultimate Fighting Championship today lost the man many recognize as the face of mixed martial arts. UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture announced his resignation from the Las Vegas-based promotion, leaving two contracted fights, his job as an on-air analyst and his heavyweight crown on the table.

In South Africa shooting scenes for his lead role in the upcoming feature film “The Scorpion King – Rise of the Akkadian,” Couture made the announcement official in a letter to UFC president Dana White. The UFC’s inability to land PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko played a prominent role in the decision to walk away, according to Couture.

“I appreciate this opportunity the sport of MMA and the UFC has given me,” the UFC Hall-of-Famer said. “However, I’m tired of swimming upstream at this stage with the management of the UFC. It only makes sense at this point in my career to fight Fedor Emelianenko, and since he’s now signed with another organization, I feel like it’s time to resign and focus on my other endeavors.”

================================================================================

===========

all i can say is, THANK YOU DANA WHITE FOR THIS HUGE PIECE OF MONKEY CRAP.

BREAKING NEWS: RANDY COUTURE QUITS UFC, RELINQUISHES HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE

from The Fight Network

By Brian Knapp

At the height of its power and popularity, the Ultimate Fighting Championship today lost the man many recognize as the face of mixed martial arts. UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture announced his resignation from the Las Vegas-based promotion, leaving two contracted fights, his job as an on-air analyst and his heavyweight crown on the table.

In South Africa shooting scenes for his lead role in the upcoming feature film “The Scorpion King – Rise of the Akkadian,” Couture made the announcement official in a letter to UFC president Dana White. The UFC’s inability to land PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko played a prominent role in the decision to walk away, according to Couture.

“I appreciate this opportunity the sport of MMA and the UFC has given me,” the UFC Hall-of-Famer said. “However, I’m tired of swimming upstream at this stage with the management of the UFC. It only makes sense at this point in my career to fight Fedor Emelianenko, and since he’s now signed with another organization, I feel like it’s time to resign and focus on my other endeavors.”

================================================================================

===========

all i can say is, THANK YOU DANA WHITE FOR THIS HUGE PIECE OF MONKEY CRAP.

damn s@%t! that is a sad new to all mma fans...

UFC 79: Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva verbally agree to fight:

The mega bout between former champions Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva for which mixed martial arts fans have clamored for years is going to go down at UFC 79 on December 29, according to a report from Dave Meltzer at WrestlingObserver.com.

Both light heavyweights have apparently verbally agreed in principle to clash at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on New Year’s Eve weekend.

Here’s the actual snip:

“Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva is now verbally agreed upon by both sides to take place on 12/29 in Las Vegas.”

Meltzer is usually dead-on with his inside information. In addition, this report echoes recent statements from John Hackleman that his fighter is penciled in to face the “Axe Murderer” once and for all.

Nothing, of course, is set in stone until the bout agreements are signed and an official announcement comes from the Zuffa front office.

But this looks pretty much looks like a done deal.

Rejoice.

UFC 79: Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva verbally agree to fight:

The mega bout between former champions Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva for which mixed martial arts fans have clamored for years is going to go down at UFC 79 on December 29, according to a report from Dave Meltzer at WrestlingObserver.com.

Both light heavyweights have apparently verbally agreed in principle to clash at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on New Year’s Eve weekend.

Here’s the actual snip:

“Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva is now verbally agreed upon by both sides to take place on 12/29 in Las Vegas.”

Meltzer is usually dead-on with his inside information. In addition, this report echoes recent statements from John Hackleman that his fighter is penciled in to face the “Axe Murderer” once and for all.

Nothing, of course, is set in stone until the bout agreements are signed and an official announcement comes from the Zuffa front office.

But this looks pretty much looks like a done deal.

Rejoice.

that would be a great way to end the year!!!

STATEMENT FROM DANA WHITE, UFC PRESIDENT, REGARDING COUTURE

“I’m not surprised at all by Randy’s decision. I talked to Randy several weeks ago and he said that if he couldn’t fight Fedor, then he has nothing left to prove in the sport of mixed martial arts.

He has been doing a lot of acting, and I know he is in South Africa right now filming a movie. I think it’s a great move for Randy’s acting career to retire from fighting while he is on top.

As we all know, Randy retired before. The landscape in MMA changes every day. So when he is ready to come out of retirement again, he is still under contract with me, and I’m ready to promote him.”

Sayang tlga di na-sign ng UFC si Fedor tsk tsk tsk sayang, i was really looking to Randy squaring off with Fedor in the cage..I hope if ever UFC signs Fedor, as soon as possible i hope, Randy comes back & fights him to just find out who is the best heavyweight in the world..

wow Vanderlei vs Chuck..i hope Chuck can come back & win this fight, even though Vanderlei is the favorite to win this match..

with the UFC HW championship vacant, this is the chance for Brandon Vera to go for the belt, i hope he can beat Tim Sylvia and go for a title shot, if he shows good in the octagon he might even get Randy to return :)..

from what i've read about the Couture situation, basing from reports from Sherdog, MMAWeekly, MMANews, & the Wrestling Observer, it's more than just the Fedor fight that sealed the deal. Couture contests the fact that he's paid less than most guys in the UFC (i can remember Chuck Liddell netting $500K last time out), & the fact that Fedor, if he was signed, has much more financial consideration than most. he also says that he's "tired of being taken advantage of & swimming against the upstream within management", which i think he didn't elaborate much. he just says that "he doesn't get the respect he deserves from management", which is really tough to argue.

i can personally blame a lot of people for this, including Couture. i can blame Dana White for being as hard headed as Fedor's agents, this despite the fact that he re-signed Tito Ortiz after a lackluster tail end of his contract (plus all the animosity between Ortiz & White). i can blame those "rumor mongers" that White blamed for Couture's decision, people including "clueless Hollywood agents, the so-called insiders, & the internet media outlets". he was pointing out the disparity in purses that newswires such as MMAWeekly & Sherdog publish days after a PPV. for example, Couture earned $250K base pay plus a percentage of PPV revenue in UFC 74, whereas UFC newcomer Mauricio "Shogun" Rua got $150K base pay outright. other fighters churning out Fight Of The Year performances earn significantly less. i guess on the money issue Couture felt disrespected by it because they (the UFC pioneers) weren't being compensated as much as they deserve, and to think it was reported in the UK publication Inside Sports that the UFC as a company earned $1 billion last year.

i can point out a ton of factors (links included) with the whole deal, but the only person that can clear this up is Randy Couture. if it was solely the Fedor factor that drove him to resign (not retire, resign), then i can't blame him. i'd certainly blame White first, because he made the simple negatives of Fedor's contract outweigh the overwhelming positives of it. but the whole money thing & the "swimming against the upstream" deal, that's still kinda clouded in my mind. i'd have to backtrack on that one, & see if his claims are indeed true.

if anything good comes out of this one, Brandon Vera just might be the next UFC Heavyweight Champion.