Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

my unforgettable UFC 75 quote:

Mike Goldberg & Joe Rogan (simultaneously): inside left kick!

Mike Goldberg: Sometimes, we say things at the same time...

^ awwww... :wub:

back to the card:

whoever was saying that Hendo was a fluke should watch Hendo rip up PRIDE & the top flight competition he destroyed there, including Wanderlei Silva. also, he should watch Quinton Jackson in PRIDE & compare it to the Quinton Jackson of the UFC. a universe of difference if you ask me (and everybody else here for that matter).

props for both Rampage & Hendo for an awesome, very competitive fight.

also, props for Juanito Ibarra. looks like Greg Jackson ain't the only good trainer anymore in MMA. just look at what happened to Cheick Kongo.

and yes Larry, Bisping is an a**. i had it 3 rounds for Hamill.

btw, i've said this before, Houston Alexander should fight Sokodjou. both underdogs in their first 2 fights & they completely destroyed their opponents. more so with Sokodjou, he destroyed the 2 of the top guys from BTT!

a two-time wrestling olympian is never a fluke my friend.

I don't think he knows what "fluke" means.

also, props for Juanito Ibarra.

yep Juanito is a good trainer, and puts together a really good training camp. From what I know he used to be a boxing trainer that transitioned into the MMA scene. He really knows fight strategy and coming up with a good game plan. Good thing our boy Brandon was in Big Bear at that time too.

Houston Alexander should fight Sokodjou.

Soko/Alexander should be great, but I'll have to give it to Soko if it ever happens because he's been up against real name fighters as opposed to Jardine and Sakara for Alexander (Arona and Lil Nog for Soko) plus he has that Judo background to fall back on. Alexander has shown no signs of a decent ground game yet.

But what I really want to see is Bisping vs. Alexander next. Houston should be able to deliver the beat down that Bisping deserves. (Actually Bisping/Wanderlei with pride rules i.e. head stomps and knees to he head, sounds like a better idea)

and the guy below me is another noob

Edited by Larry
watch out for Houston Alexander then....he's 35 years old now, almost the same age as when Randy started.

I wont count on it. Sure he is overwhelming but Randy Couture was already one of the elite when he was 35... Siguro magandang panapat itong si Houston Alexander sa mga current contenders ng 205 lbs., but he has to demolish Liddell and/or Rua first to get to the top...

it was either he was injured (bruised rib, etc.) or he expended too much at the start as he always tends to do.

Anyone who's seen Hendo fight before has seen that look on his face when you can tell that he's overextended himself in the first. The thing with that is that he remains very expressionless during the course of the fight, and you really can't tell that he's gassed just by looking at him, you'll just know because he just seems to be reacting to the fight.

I don't think he's old, rampage is just that good now. Let Hendo fight at 185, he''ll tear that sh1t right up.

I saw his fights in PRIDE... Iba yung conditioning nya dun... You can clearly see from his shoulders that he was so spent in that fight with Jackson. But that is the very same Hendo that we know, nakikipagsabayan kahit na ubos na sya after round 2... Maybe, its the conditioning... Or he is just old to withstand a rampaging 29 year old monster.

randy started fighting at 34

he was good but wasn't elite yet

yep Juanito is a good trainer, and puts together a really good training camp. From what I know he used to be a boxing trainer that transitioned into the MMA scene. He really knows fight strategy and coming up with a good game plan. Good thing our boy Brandon was in Big Bear at that time too.

^ and, not all guys who were in their early to late 30's fighting were as successful as Couture. i dunno if i'll count Ken Shamrock here since he went to WWE, then fought in PRIDE, then went to TNA Wrestling, then returned to the UFC, then re-appeared for a while in TNA Wrestling again, then re-appeared in the UFC, until finally retiring as an active fighter. Couture is just on a totally different universe.

i was also surprised when i saw footage of Juanito's training camp. i mean, Bisping was there, Kongo, Brandon Vera, plus the usual crew of Juanito & his boys. that was what was lacking in Quinton's game when he was still with Colin Oyama. i'd say it was the Ken Shamrock Syndrome, training with the same crew hoping for a good result.

Magandang Araw! Sino po sa palagay nyo ang magandang match kay Fedor?

^ Couture's the logical choice, since Fedor has beaten most of the top 10 guys in the division. but i'd like to see Fedor kick Tim Sylvia's a** because he called Fedor out.

He can fight a real silverback gorilla. Or Bigfoot. That's gonna sell PPV's. :lol:

LOL!!! no wonder your pick loss...

^ ...and here my friends is a perfect specimen of a Generation TUF fan, or what others would describe as a bandwagon driver. what he really is is a keyboard warrior. tell me, kid. kung nanalo si Hendo sasabihin mo na tama din yung pick mo?

that was what was lacking in Quinton's game when he was still with Colin Oyama. i'd say it was the Ken Shamrock Syndrome, training with the same crew hoping for a good result.

exactly

Training in a camp, with a really good head trainer really means a world of difference. Maybe that's what crocop should have done too, get into a good camp, with good fighters, that would push his game, and not bring in training partners that he picked personally.

I'm seeing big money in Juanito's future

He can fight a real silverback gorilla.

Fedor vs. Gorilla, DANA MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Fedor doesn't need to fight Tank, Cabbage, or any other paper fighters in the UFC roster, he's beaten Cro-Cop, Big Nog, Herring, Fujita, Arona, and a slew of other top caliber fighters under the more brutal pride rules. He needs to fight Randy, while Randy is still on his A-game.

Fedor has been the top HW for a few years, but unfortunately, TUF/American MMA fans/noobs have no idea as to who he is and what he's accomplished. He needs to fight Randy to shut up the doubters out there and cement his status as top dog of MMA HW's.

@randor - Tank has been out of the fight game for a while.

Who I want to see in the Octagon:

Roman Zentsov - The Russian Hammer (and teammate of Fedor) has been on a roll lately, KO'ing people left and right...I have some of his fights from Pride and Bodog, he's really heavy handed AND has some good defense and ground game too!

Gilbert Yvel - I want this guy to beat on the so-called "world class strikers" the UFC has. Actually the UFC has a lot of tomato cans (i.e. overhyped and underqualified fighters) in their roster like Keith Jardine, Stephan Bonnar, Forrest Griffin (yes I said it! Overrated!)...I want the Hurricane to KTFO of them!!!

Akihiro Gono - This guy puts on a show in and out of the ring! Just check him out on youtube to see what I mean. Not only does he have fun entrances, he backs it up with good striking and excellent submissions.

before i forgot, it was funny how joe rogan can't seem to find his praises to bisping because he knows it was home cooking!

and bisping definitely got his brit ass kicked, damn it!

on to UFC76: I still don't think Jardine can hang-out with the big boys, such as Chuck. Not yet, at least.

Yup. This is a warm-up fight for Chuck for a possible rematch with Quentin.

OH, I think that Shogun should have a surprisingly competetive match against Forrest Griffin because he can't use his usual tools to win (stomps, soccer kicks to the head) and Forrest has learned to run and hit a little while striking. I still think Shogun takes it, unless we get another BS decison ala Hammill vs Bisping...Republic of the Phils vs Jinggoy...

shogun next big thing!

im actually waiting for wandy to debut at ufc.. never was a big fun of him..."he wants to f#&k chuck" haha

FEDOR? im a fan... i wanted to see CC vs fedor 2 since the frst match i think was a tie? well seeing as to how cc's performing... blah(against fedor)

i think Nog vs Congo would be a great matchup then the winner could face Couture.

not a bad idea

but in case Congo wins by some stroke of luck, I don't think he's ready for a championship match yet.

there's only one person right now that I hope the UFC gets:

Kid Yamamoto - pound for pound the best fighter in MMA right now.

i think Nog vs Congo would be a great matchup then the winner could face Couture. what do you think guys?

^ too easy for Big Nog.. Kongo's ground game is horrible...

Fedor doesn't need to fight Tank, Cabbage, or any other paper fighters in the UFC roster, he's beaten Cro-Cop, Big Nog, Herring, Fujita, Arona, and a slew of other top caliber fighters under the more brutal pride rules. He needs to fight Randy, while Randy is still on his A-game.

Fedor has been the top HW for a few years, but unfortunately, TUF/American MMA fans/noobs have no idea as to who he is and what he's accomplished. He needs to fight Randy to shut up the doubters out there and cement his status as top dog of MMA HW's.

@randor - Tank has been out of the fight game for a while.

Who I want to see in the Octagon:

Roman Zentsov - The Russian Hammer (and teammate of Fedor) has been on a roll lately, KO'ing people left and right...I have some of his fights from Pride and Bodog, he's really heavy handed AND has some good defense and ground game too!

Gilbert Yvel - I want this guy to beat on the so-called "world class strikers" the UFC has. Actually the UFC has a lot of tomato cans (i.e. overhyped and underqualified fighters) in their roster like Keith Jardine, Stephan Bonnar, Forrest Griffin (yes I said it! Overrated!)...I want the Hurricane to KTFO of them!!!

Akihiro Gono - This guy puts on a show in and out of the ring! Just check him out on youtube to see what I mean. Not only does he have fun entrances, he backs it up with good striking and excellent submissions.

^ maybe Fedor does need to slap the monkey crap off some can just for the Generation TUF kids to get a taste of Fedor. if Dana rushed Fedor into a title shot against Randy (ala Dan Henderson) it's gonna be UFC 75 all over again: somewhat great for the diehards, a "bleh" moment for the noobs.

and i agree with Zentsov & Gono, they are both studs who can bang. Yvel has had his run-ins with the bad side of the tracks (i.e. eye poking against Don Frye), but he is a phenomenal striker.

FEDOR? im a fan... i wanted to see CC vs fedor 2 since the frst match i think was a tie? well seeing as to how cc's performing... blah(against fedor)

^ that was a unanimous decision loss for the PRIDE Heavyweight Title back in Final Conflict 2005. good rematch, but seeing how Cro Cop is now he needs to reevaluate his strategies.

I always hear that name but I have not seen a single fight of that man... How good is he?

^ he is damn good (15-1-1 MMA). great grappler (he tried out for the olympics), great striker too. he is so good, he KO'd Kazuyuki Miyata in 4 SECONDS

on a somewhat intriguing side note, Mark Cuban has made significant moves to enter the MMA scene, partnering with Steele Cage Promotions and Guy Mezger's Art Of War promotion. He has been talking to Fedor's US reps, and is now also talking to other free agents for his HDNet Fights project.

the intrigung part of this story is the fact that he has talked to the McMahon family with regard to them co-producing events. Vince & Shane McMahon has seriously considered entering the MMA market before, and with the success of the UFC which simply can't be ignored, those rumors are starting to make significant noise again.

World Wrestling Entertainment may soon be stepping into the world of Mixed Martial Arts. At a stockholder's meeting in May, Vince McMahon said WWE had previously explored the idea of a WWE-branded MMA product. Vince said the recent explosion in popularity of the sport is undeniable and that MMA is a natural expansion for them.

Billionare Marc Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, has come out and revealed that he's been talking with WWE executives about creating a mixed martial arts organization to compete with UFC.

Here's what Marc Cuban had to say:

"We've been in discussions with the WWE, Vince and Linda McMahon and Shane about doing some cross promotions under the HDNet Fights banner. Since they do a great job of putting together events, within some of the restraints that I talked about, the no ring girls and obviously the events have to be straight up, there’s no scripted anything, but they want to get into that side of the business. They realize that if they just brand it as WWE, that people aren’t going to believe that it’s not scripted, but if they work with Mark Cuban and HDNet Fights and the Dallas Mavericks approach, then people will trust it.”

Shane McMahon is said to be a huge mixed martial arts fan and has pushed for WWE to consider starting a legit MMA brand.

Edited by SevenZeroFive

Mcmahon + MMA = worked fights

I'd much rather see Cuban partner with bodog, than the McMahons - the fact that the McMahon's are involved would taint the legitimacy of the sport.

I don't see the point of partnering with the McMahons, Cuban certainly doesn't need the money.

but it's great that Cuban is seriously considering involvement in the MMA scene, more serious competition for the UFC is good for MMA fans.

I always hear that name but I have not seen a single fight of that man... How good is he?

to add to 705's reply

Kid Yamamoto is considerably one of the smaller lightweights in the fight game. He fights at 155lbs but his normal weight is around 145. The fact that he throws around and KOs guys that are notably bigger than he is a sure sign of his skill.

He has also beaten reknowned fighters Caol Uno, Genki Sudo, and a Gracie (I forgot which one though, there's so many of them)

IMHO, if you make this kid a few inches taller and about 50lbs heavier but leave his other physical attributes proportionately the same (speed, power, and MMA knowledge) he can take Fedor.