Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

the talk around is that if Fedor really wants his legend to be solidified he has to go to the UFC..

that's not just talk bro, it's fact. To be the best you have to fight the best, and all the best fighters are with the UFC. He'll just be fed cans in K1

dammit Dana do something!

confirmed n yan sir!.... :thumbsupsmiley:

i'll bet tim will get another humiliating loss!....

Sure na naman si The Truth dito... that will happen in the title fight of Silva and Franklin, titled "Hostile Territory"... But it all depends on the health of the fighters, pwede pa mapalitan yan, may UFC 75 and 76 pa.

Edited by hardtohandle
Couture said he wanted to fight Fedor Emelyanenko, who established himself as the world's top heavyweight while working for the Japanese-based PRIDE promotion. White and Emelyanenko's representatives are reportedly slated to meet this week in hopes of finalizing a deal.

If those talks fall through, former PRIDE standout Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira seems like the most worthy contender for Couture to defend his UFC crown against in early 2008.

Not bad!!!

White and the Nevada State Athletic Commission weren't the only ones upset by Renato "Babalu" Sobral's decision to keep David Heath in a chokehold for several seconds after a submission victory at UFC 74.

Word from backstage is that a slew of fighters were irate over Sobral's actions and the lack of sportsmanship it showed.

Sobral — who said his actions stemmed from Heath insulting him during a pre-fight weigh-in — faces a possible fine and/or suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Until the matter is resolved, $25,000 of Sobral's purse is being withheld. It's also fair to wonder whether White will opt to book Sobral again, especially since two prior losses severely damaged his standing in the light-heavyweight division.

Several MMA fans have asked me what is the difference between Sobral's action and when B.J. Penn kept a chokehold on opponent Jens Pulver several seconds after the latter had submitted in the main event of the Ultimate Fighter 5 season finale in June. Penn wasn't reprimanded for his actions, which were generated by animosity built toward Pulver over the course of the Ultimate Fighter season.

But Penn didn't brag in the ring about trying to teach his opponent "respect" like Sobral did. Instead, Penn refused post-fight comment on television and told fans to instead check out his web site, which promptly crashed without any message ever posted by the self-proclaimed "Prodigy."

Well, I just hope he gets a lengthy suspension, but I want Sobral to appear again in the Octagon...

How to handle Lesnar's UFC introduction

Sure na naman si The Truth dito... that will happen in the title fight of Silva and Franklin, titled "Hostile Territory"... But it all depends on the health of the fighters, pwede pa mapalitan yan, may UFC 75 and 76 pa.

sylvia's ass is gonna get kicked again. this time he tastes filipino ass-spanking. :lol: i think sylvia is an overrated fighter. i think he wins just because sometimes he overwhelms his lesser opponents with his size. but good fighters like randy and vera know how to take away the size advantage. just my two cents...

well, if Lesnar's gonna appear in TUF 7, the viewers (if they've been viewing Spike since 2002) won't have any trouble recognizing him.. it's just awkward to have a relative novice in MMA as a coach, although in true WWE fashion the UFC can make a story of how he rises from relative obscurity.. as the contestants progress in their game so does their coach, & the Zuffa Hype Machine can tweak that story til forever...

that's not just talk bro, it's fact. To be the best you have to fight the best, and all the best fighters are with the UFC. He'll just be fed cans in K1

dammit Dana do something!

onga... Fedor can't always fight Matt Lindland and Zuluzinho... :lol:

the only remaining marquee name FA's are Barnett & Mark Hunt... so yeah, everybody else is a can...

^ LOL

last i heard Randelman was arrested in Vegas for DUI and resisting arrest...

an official statement from Renato "Babalu" Sobral:

To My Family, Friends, Fans and Sponsors:

Since UFC 74, I have wanted to speak publicly about my fight with David Heath. I waited to do so, however, out of respect for the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Zuffa, Inc. and Dana White. After all, it is their efforts that have legitimized Mixed Martial Arts in the sports world and I realize that my conduct has unintentionally hindered those efforts. For that, among other things, I am deeply sorry.

I have been fighting professionally since 1998. Prior to my fight with David Heath, my professional record was twenty-seven wins with seven losses. Fourteen of my victories came by way of submission. Not once was I ever accused of holding a choke or submission too long. If anything, there has always been and continues to be a great camaraderie between my opponents and I after the fight. Being a professional mixed martial artist is more than a career to me. It is my livelihood and my way of life. Consequently, I am deeply sorry for any embarrassment that has been brought upon the sport, other mixed martial artists (especially David Heath), my Academy and most importantly, my family.

As if the embarrassment were not enough, my actions during the fight with David and my comments afterwards, have already resulted in severe financial loss to my family because as you know, in addition to my win bonus still being withheld, yesterday I was released from my contract with the UFC.

There has been much talk about things that may have been said to me by David Heath at the weigh-in. What David said to me at the weigh-in didn’t matter then and doesn’t matter now. What matters are my comments after the fight. And, regardless of what you may read by so called MMA experts on the internet, I never said that I purposefully choked-out David Heath. In short, my post-fight comments, while inappropriate, were not intended to be comments about the choke. Rather, they were intended to be comments about the aggressive performance that I put in.

I did not intentionally choke out David Heath. The first that I realized that David had tapped was when people told me that he did after the fight. When I finally had the chance to view the tape, I see that he did. When David tapped, I did not feel it. I wish I did for I would have let it go. Instead, I continued to hold it. Not because I was upset or wanted him to lose consciousness. I held it because I didn’t know he tapped and I was intent on winning the fight. Holding on to a choke a little long is not an uncommon mistake made in training, and never in my career have I witnessed or heard of an injury resulting from it.

When I had the choke, I was not looking the referee in the eyes as one commentator erroneously observed. Nor did I hear the referee issue any verbal command to release the hold. Instead, my head was down to strengthen the move and my eyes closed with focus. As a result, I did not feel the referee tap me the first time either. It was not until he put his hands on my right shoulder that I felt him trying to separate us. When I felt this, I immediately released the choke.

After this morning’s hearing I traveled to the UFC’s office to meet with Dana White. Contrary to recent reports in the media, this meeting was not to discuss my being released from the UFC. In fact, this meeting was arranged prior to my even being released from the contract. The purpose of the meeting was for me to personally apologize to Dana while at the same time thank him for all the opportunities that the UFC has given to my family and I. Unfortunately, I was unable to meet with Dana due to a calendaring error Nevertheless, thanks Dana and my apologies.

I am a professional fighter. This is what I do for a living. I do not hold a day job and then train at night to fight. I know nothing else but how to fight. This is how I support my family.

On behalf of my family and friends, I appreciate the support that you have given me over the years, not to mention in the recent week, and I am hopeful that I will have the opportunity to fight again in the State of Nevada.

Thank you.

RENATO “BABALU” SOBRAL

the difference between the Babalu incident and the BJ Penn incident is that BJ is a darling of the UFC, a poster boy like Chuck Liddell. Babalu is Babalu. That's why this happened.

FEDOR STILL UNSIGNED

Fedor Emelianenko is universally regarded as the top heavyweight, if not the top overall, fighter in the mixed martial arts world. Ever since the purchase of Pride FC by Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta, who’s Zuffa, LLC, also owns the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Fedor has also become the most highly sought after fighter on the planet.

The longtime heavyweight champion in Pride, the promotion’s demise has left Fedor with no other choice but to look elsewhere for employment. The popular assumption of course is that he will end up in the UFC fold along with most of the other top fighters from the Pride organization.

With Fedor’s management team reportedly having met with UFC officials earlier this week, the widespread speculation has been that terms were reached and that it was all but a done deal that Fedor would soon fight in the Octagon.

According to a report by Sherdog.com’s Josh Gross, that is not necessarily so. Fedor’s management team said that while the UFC offer is the most lucrative offer that the MMAWeekly.com #1 ranked heavyweight has received, there are still several sticking points that have kept them from recommending their client sign with the sport’s largest promotion in the world.

As has long been speculated, Apy Echteld, one of Fedor’s managers, confirmed that the UFC’s requirement of exclusivity is still one of the reasons that the deal has not been approved, as well as the contract not being guaranteed. These are very important points to Fedor and several other organizations vying for his services are willing to concede them according to Echteld.

Babalu fired from UFC:

Renato “Babalu” Sobral has been released from his UFC contract after his behavior in the recent fight with David Heath as confirmed by UFC president Dana White during a media conference call earlier today.

Much speculation has gone into the possible punishment for Sobral after his actions in which he held onto a fight ending choke even after referee Steve Mazzagatti tried to get the fighter to release the hold.

Babalu may have sunk himself in an even deeper hole by making his post fight comments in which he stated he wanted to “teach him a lesson,” referring to Heath and their heated verbal exchange at the weigh-ins the day prior.

MMAWeekly spoke to Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer on Monday and he confirmed that at that time they had held up Babalu’s fight purse of $25,000 pending the investigation into the incident.

Kizer stated that he planned on re-watching the bout between Sobral and Heath and then would make a decision whether or not to file a complaint against Babalu at that point.

MMAWeekly spoke to Kizer about Babalu's situation on Thursday afternoon and the Executive Director advised that Babalu and his management would be speaking in front of the commission during a meeting on Friday.

During that meeting, Babalu will have the chance to tell his side of the story, so to speak, to the commission and then at that point they will make a final decision as to whether or not to hold a disciplinary meeting to discuss punishment for Sobral.

Kizer also advised the possibility of the commission simply reprimanding Babalu for his actions and releasing his fight purse.

The final decision on the next step of action will come on Friday when Babalu appears in front of the commission.

This news comes on the heels of White’s original statement at the UFC 74 post fight press conference in which he stated, “I am not happy about it. If you have an arm or leg of somebody in a submission where somebody seriously injures somebody, you'll never be back in UFC again.”

Word from Heath’s camp on Monday was that the fighter was okay physically and was more upset about his own performance than anything surrounding the controversy at the end of the fight.

Babalu’s release sets a precedent in the UFC that actions that could potentially harm another fighter, especially when they are as blatant as what Sobral did and then said, can cause a fighter to be let go from a UFC contract.

White did follow up by not ruling out the possibility of Babalu returning to the UFC in the future, but did say the Brazilian fighter made a huge mistake with his actions last Saturday night.

No word has come out of Babalu’s camp since the dismissal from the UFC.

Stamp of approval

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

LAS VEGAS – He’s been playing “What would’ve been?” for most of the month, and sometime Sunday night Kobe Bryant will have to return his Team USA toys on the Strip, including Jason Kidd, and rejoin the Bynum and Bailey Circus with the Lakers.

No more Pilates in his hotel room with the Nets point guard.

“I wore out his ass,” Kobe bragged.

No more clowning with Carmelo Anthony on the bench.

“He’s a fool,” Kobe kidded.

No more playing with a cast of teammates straight out of his wildest dreams, out of Mitch Kupchak’s reach.

“We’re all spoiled,” Kobe sighed.

If Bryant wasn’t the most dominant player in the United States' devastating 135-91 semifinal victory over Puerto Rico on Saturday, he sure has been it in these FIBA Americas Championships. Behind Bryant, the United States didn’t just use this tournament to qualify for the 2008 Olympics, but reaffirm itself as the gold standard in Beijing next summer.

As much as anyone, Bryant could live in this Vegas fantasy forever. Once the gold medal game against Argentina is over Sunday, Team USA’s players go home with NBA training camps starting within the month. Milwaukee’s Michael Redd, back to a lottery team of his own, confessed, “We’re going to have low tolerance for our teams when we get back to camp.”

http://www.yahoo.com/s/666678

Stamp of approval

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

LAS VEGAS – He’s been playing “What would’ve been?” for most of the month, and sometime Sunday night Kobe Bryant will have to return his Team USA toys on the Strip, including Jason Kidd, and rejoin the Bynum and Bailey Circus with the Lakers.

No more Pilates in his hotel room with the Nets point guard.

“I wore out his ass,” Kobe bragged.

No more clowning with Carmelo Anthony on the bench.

“He’s a fool,” Kobe kidded.

No more playing with a cast of teammates straight out of his wildest dreams, out of Mitch Kupchak’s reach.

“We’re all spoiled,” Kobe sighed.

If Bryant wasn’t the most dominant player in the United States' devastating 135-91 semifinal victory over Puerto Rico on Saturday, he sure has been it in these FIBA Americas Championships. Behind Bryant, the United States didn’t just use this tournament to qualify for the 2008 Olympics, but reaffirm itself as the gold standard in Beijing next summer.

As much as anyone, Bryant could live in this Vegas fantasy forever. Once the gold medal game against Argentina is over Sunday, Team USA’s players go home with NBA training camps starting within the month. Milwaukee’s Michael Redd, back to a lottery team of his own, confessed, “We’re going to have low tolerance for our teams when we get back to camp.”

http://www.yahoo.com/s/666678

waaah pls erase my previous 2 post what I meant to say to this topic was:

I miss posting here, I've been on a sabatical leave for my pc because now I'm back.. hehehe

With all that has happened in the world of MMA, esp the one at the last UFC.. Randy Couture proved once again he is elite.. Now hopefully Dan Henderson gives the world one hell of a show in Sunday..

next week pa ang UFC 75... speaking of NBA...

NBA's Cuban Pursuing Fedor Emelianenko

Mark Cuban, the energetic and controversial owner of the National Basketball Association's Dallas Mavericks, is negotiating for the services of Russian mixed martial arts star Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures), Sherdog.com confirmed Sunday.

"I am in ongoing discussions with some of his people," Cuban revealed in an e-mail interview that will be published on Sherdog.com later this week.

Cuban's interest in Emelianenko has everything to do with HDNet, currently available in 6 million homes, nearing a major uptick in the amount of MMA programming on the HD network.

"I plan on making a significant investment in MMA with the goal of promoting it as a professional sport with professional athletes," said the 49-year-old Cuban, whose net worth was listed by Forbes in 2007 to be $2.3 billion. Cuban purchased the Mavericks in 2000 after selling Broadcast.com to Yahoo! for $5.7 billion in stock. "There is no reason that a fighter in an undercard match should be treated any differently than how I treat our players on the Mavs."

In Emelianenko -- the longtime PRIDE heavyweight champion who became a free agent after Zuffa purchased the PRIDE Fighting Championships in March -- Cuban would have his fighting Dirk Nowitzki.

"We would work with his promoters to place him in fights from affiliated promoters or in fights we promote ourselves," said Cuban, who plans on partnering with established MMA organizations to fill the weekly quota of bouts HDNet would need for its successful Friday Fight Night series.

"It's the highest rated sports programming by far [on HDNet]," Cuban said. "Our MMA programming on HDNet beats networks that have five times or more the carriage that we do. So it's been a big winner for us and we expect it to get even better."