Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

BREAKING NEWS: Jon Jones removed from UFC 200 for possible doping violation

LAS VEGAS -- Interim UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been pulled from his title unification bout against Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 on Saturday, after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency informed Jones of a potential doping violation on Wednesday.

UFC president Dana White announced the move during an impromptu news conference at MGM Grand Hotel.

Jones tested positive for a banned substance in an out-of-competition sample taken June 16 by USADA, said Jeff Novitzky, UFC's vice president of athlete health and performance. USADA administers the UFC's anti-drug policy.

"It is important to note that under the UFC anti-doping policy, there's a full, fair legal-review process that is afforded to all athletes before any sanctions are imposed," Novitzky said.

Novitzky added that there wasn't time for a "full review before the scheduled bout."

"Therefore the fight has been removed from the fight card," Novitzky said.

White said he has not spoken to Jones yet and that he wasn't aware whether the substance in question was a performance-enhancing drug.

A heavyweight fight between Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt will now headline UFC 200, which takes place on Saturday at T-Mobile Arena.

Jones has the right to appeal any positive test. He has never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, but did test positive for traces of cocaine prior to a fight against Cormier in January 2015.

Jones also served a suspension from April to October after his involvement in a hit-and-run accident.

Under the UFC's anti-doping program, which is administered by USADA and went into effect last July, a positive test for a performance-enhancing drug carries a standard 2-year suspension.

White said he'd like to find Cormier, the defending light heavyweight champion, a new opponent, but that would be difficult given the timing.

"I've trained hard and long," Cormier said. "If anybody would fight, I would fight. Why not? I understand the difficult task it would be to find me a fight on two days. I'm willing to fight up, put on some weight, 225, 220 (pounds). I'll fight. It doesn't matter. I just can't fight a really big guy, because I've been shrinking my body."

Cormier, who appeared next to White during the news conference, said he'd put in the effort and would accept a new fight if the UFC could find one that "made sense."

"I've worked really hard to prepare for this," Cormier said. "You take care of what you need to take care of, that's what I did. More than anything, it's really disappointing.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6O9L32K4tY

this guy is just an embarrassment to the sport. I was actually wishing him well for a triumphant return and now he serves us this. I am still optimistic that he will get his sh!t together and save his career. He is too talented to be doing something else other than fighting.

i was just surprised just as anybody. My phone just started ringing so many times. this just happened about an hour or so ago when Dana White held the press conference announcing Jones' removal from the card. I thought it was a prank when i checked ESPN it was really true.

Jones can't get his shi.t together. Such a waste of a talent

Don't know if Cormier will take another fight this close to the event. If i'm him ill pack it up and let Dana figure out a fight on 201

Edited by hahnz

I think the UFC have given Jones one chance too many at redemption because at his age, he still has a lot to give the fans. He gave us a lot of good fights and came out stronger each time he won. With what he is doing now, 2012 looks like a lifetime ago. He may be talented and all but he is not someone who would represent your company and the sport. He thinks he is always above the rules. He has Uncle Dana to clean up his mess. I am still hopeful though, we always heard of Cinderella stories and hope that he turns it around. If Dana White never gave up on this fool, then why should I? Or is it fans like me that are being played for fools?

As for DC, I am not seeing anyone at 205 who is ready to fight at less than a week's notice. Bless any brave soul who will since I know the guy is pissed after missing a big paycheck. Not one person at HW will also cut to his request of 220 lbs. He is indeed better off taking his time and wait for UFC 201.

Edited by startoffbeat

Jon Jones Breaks Down In Tears UFC 200 Full Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py-Hdp4AH6g

Jon, i know you're crying and all that but, i can't really show you any symphathy. You've been given so many chances to get yourself right but there's only so many chances you are given before people stop believing in you. Sorry but this crying bit isn't going to win you any forgiveness.

You are in danger of being suspended for 2 years if you are found positive for any illegal substances in your test. If you are found positive for PED's you will be suspended for 2 years

Edited by hahnz

Cut this guy some slack and let him cry but he must serve his 2 years or more off the cage. Diaz was suspended 5 years for MJ metabolites, this fool deserves more than 5 years suspension. It should be a lifetime ban on all sanctioned events. Unless he shows genuine remorse for all the infractions he incurred, then he should stay banned.

my phone just rang like crazy just now when ESPN broke the story literally minutes ago Dana White has decided who Cormier will fight on UFC 200 BREAKING NEWS: Anderson Silva named Daniel Cormier's new opponent in UFC 200

post-481684-0-81167700-1467950487_thumb.jpg

LAS VEGAS -- Daniel Cormier will remain on the UFC 200 card and fight former middleweight champion Anderson Silva in a non-title light heavyweight fight.

UFC president Dana White confirmed the news to ESPN on Thursday evening. Cormier, the light heavyweight champion, was originally scheduled to fight Jon Jones at UFC 200, but that fight fell through on Wednesday, when Jones was informed of a potential anti-doping violation.

The new booking comes just one day before official weigh-ins for UFC 200. Silva, 41, does require final medical clearance by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, but the UFC expects Silva to be cleared.

Additionally, a female bantamweight title fight between Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes has been elevated to the UFC 200 main event. White told ESPN.com that after further consideration, the promotion felt Tate deserved the headlining role. A heavyweight fight between Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt will serve as co-headliner.

Silva (33-7) hasn't fought since he suffered a decision loss to Michael Bisping in February. He was scheduled to fight Uriah Hall at UFC 198 in May, but was forced to pull out the week of the fight when he experienced abdominal pain.

Silva was taken to a hospital and underwent surgery to remove his gall bladder later in the week. Although that was less than two months ago, Silva said his desire to help the UFC in a time of need prompted him to ask for the fight.

Silva is winless since October 2012, when he defeated Stephan Bonnar in a non-title fight at UFC 153. He defeated Nick Diaz at UFC 183 in January 2015, but that result was overturned when Silva failed multiple drug tests for steroids. Arguably the greatest fighter of all time, Silva holds the UFC record for consecutive title defenses with 10.

According to White, three options were considered to fight Cormier. Silva, Gegard Mousasi and Dan Henderson. Mousasi is already scheduled to fight on the card and White said the promotion has other plans for Henderson.

what an amazing turn of events. white and the fertitas must not have slept over the past 24 hours to come up with a replacement for jones. silva should be entertaining enough whether he decides to fight seriously or act like a monkey inside the cage. I am not even sure why I am complaining since I get to watch the cards free on hyper HD. hehehe pasensya na sa plug.

peace!

UFC FIGHT NIGHT LAS VEGAS: POST-FIGHT PRESS CONFERENCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LyZj68rowQ

in this press conference Anderson Silva answers question on asking and getting the Go-ahead to fight Daniel Cormier on short notice. Bit of a disadvantage, Cormier has been training for Jon Jones while Anderson is coming off gall bladder surgery and hasn't been training at all coming into this fight on 2 days notice

The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale

Main Card (Fox Sports 1)

Women's Strawweight Joanna Jędrzejczyk © def. Cláudia Gadelha Decision (unanimous) (48-46, 48-45, 48-46) 5 5:00

Light Heavyweight Andrew Sanchez def. Khalil Rountree Decision (unanimous) (30-25, 30-25, 30-26) 3 5:00

Women's Strawweight Tatiana Suarez def. Amanda Cooper Submission (D'Arce choke) 1 3:43

Lightweight Will Brooks def. Ross Pearson Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00

Featherweight Doo Ho Choi def. Thiago Tavares KO (punches) 1 2:42

Lightweight Joaquim Silva def. Andrew Holbrook KO (punches) 1 0:34

Edited by hahnz

i never bought into Miesha Tate holding on to the belt too long. She barely got by Holly Holm, she almost got knocked out in that fight if it weren't for Holly not preparing enough for her takedowns she could have taken Miesha out. Same thing with Nunes, who is known for her heavy striking. Miesha's weakness is against heavy handed fighters and it showed in this fight.

I'm looking for Holly to look to fight for the belt again after hopefully beating Valentina Shevchenko on July 23.

Mark Hunt got beat with the takedowns by Brock. If he could have defended the takedowns well he could have beaten Brock. It's just too bad Brock outworked him on the ground where he's really good at.

USADA: Testing of Jon Jones' 'B' sample confirms initial findings

UFC President Dana White compared the odds of Jon Jones’ “B” sample coming back clean after a positive drug test conducted by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency found banned substances to winning the lottery. USADA today confirmed Jones did not, in fact, hit it big.

In a brief statement provided to MMAjunkie, a USADA spokesperson confirmed results of testing for the same banned substances in Jones’ (22-1 MMA, 16-1 UFC) “B” sample.

“I can confirm that Mr. Jones’ B sample results have been reported by the laboratory, and that the results confirm the findings of the A sample,” the statement reads.

Jones’ test failure cost him his spot atop Saturday’s mega-UFC 200 pay-per-view card. Light-heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier (17-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) now fights late replacement Anderson Silva (33-7 MMA, 16-3 UFC) in a non-title bout that no longer headlines the milestone show at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena.

Jones faces a potential two-year suspension.

Great weekend for MMA, or the UFC, even without Jon Jones. Best performace I saw was Joanna Jeywafchek(I can't even spell or pronounce her name). 200+ strikes in 25 minutes, this is subjective. Those are boxing-like stastics. Those fists are going to be sore for a week. but Claudia's face is going to be sore for a lot longer. Tate can bounce around as long as she wants. Those TUF finalists are going to have a long road ahead of them. Sanchez, by the way, is a fighter that give wrestlers a bad rep and keyboard warriors are going to bash GSP again. Jones can keep on snorting his crack or whatever substance he is into. Brock can take his time. Alvarez deserves the title. Connor better start thinking about fighting at 145 again. Hoping boxing promotions can come up with something worth talking about.