Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Matt Hamill vs. Brandon Vera in the works for UFC 101 in Philadelphia

A light heavyweight bout between "The Ultimate Fighter 3" fan favorite Matt Hamill (6-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) and former heavyweight Brandon Vera (10-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) could be added to the upcoming UFC 101 card.

A source close to the bout told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) both fighters have been approached about the fight but that negotiations "remain in the preliminary stages."

MMAMadness.com first reported the possibility of the fight on Sunday.

Although not officially announced, UFC 101 is expected to take place Aug. 8 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia.

Hamill last fought in March in front of a hometown crowd at UFC 96 in Columbus, Ohio. Facing former NCAA Division I national wrestling champion Mark Munoz, Hamill scored a dramatic first-round TKO via head kick. It was Hamill's third victory in four fights, and his fifth knockout in six career victories.

He could now face Vera, a former top heavyweight contender who's found some success at light heavyweight. After back-to-back losses to heavyweights Tim Sylvia and Fabricio Werdum, Vera made the drop to 205 pounds and defeated Reese Andy via lackluster unanimous decision. He then suffered a split decision loss to Keith Jardine but rebounded at UFC 96 for a dominant second-round TKO over Michael Patt via leg kicks.

Either fighter could enter the fringe of the light-heavyweight division's title picture with a victory.

di ba ung last fight ni vera, panalo sya via decision?

nope chief, he won via stoppage due to sustained leg kicks

iniiwas na nga nung kalaban nya yung binti nya sa mga sipa ni Brandon

buti na lang na stop na kasi baka mabali na yung paa nya sa kaka sipa ni Brandon ^_^

Hamill should've fought Vera first and Munoz should've fought Vera's opponent last time, but that's all finished, and igaganti nga tayo ni Vera hehehe ^_^

Yup! He won his last fight but via TKO! Ayos! Vera vs. Hamill! Makakabawi tayo nito! KO ni Hamill si Munoz eh, igaganti nalang tayo ni Vera! War Vera! :thumbsupsmiley:

Not so fast... Hamill is no pushover, Vera will definitely have his hands full and we maybe in for a surprise... Baka magulpi pa si Brandon dyan...

tall order for brandon!

Not so fast... Hamill is no pushover, Vera will definitely have his hands full and we maybe in for a surprise... Baka magulpi pa si Brandon dyan...

Indeed a tall order for vera,this is a make or break situation...to determine if vera should stay in UFC...hopefully he will come on top besting hamill. In this case vera has to study carefully how he can be succesfull on his next match. Talk about strategy....

For the meant time Im looking forward to Novers fight, and the evans vs machida...Hopefully machida and nover will win their respective fight.

hirap nga na matchup vera vs hamill, both great strikers, vera should take hamill & school him in the ground with great jujitsu :)

take hamill to the mat? that's easier said than done against a division 3 NCAA Wrestling Champion like Matt Hamill. Munoz supposedly had even better wrestling credentials than Hamill but was not even able to take him down even once. Unless Brandon decides to pull guard on the guy I really don't see this happening. I mean I don't think he wants Hamill on top of him whether inside his guard or not.

Brandon's advantage really here is up on the feet. He is by far the more superior technical standup fighter. He is no slouch in wrestling either but the way I see it he ought to use his wrestling just to keep the fight on the feet and fend off the Hammer's takedowns.

Indeed a tall order for vera,this is a make or break situation...to determine if vera should stay in UFC...hopefully he will come on top besting hamill. In this case vera has to study carefully how he can be succesfull on his next match. Talk about strategy....

For the meant time Im looking forward to Novers fight, and the evans vs machida...Hopefully machida and nover will win their respective fight.

What will happen to Vera if he loses? Will he get fired from UFC?

What will happen to Vera if he loses? Will he get fired from UFC?

He will still be in the UFC should he lose to Hamill, he is a crowd-pleaser and an exciting fighter... but he will probably get the John Fitch treatment...

Also, Houston Alexander is still in the UFC. So, if you compare Houston and Brandon, there is no reason for Vera to get the boot...

Edited by hardtohandle

Even in defeat Rafael Dos Anjos impresses the hell out of me. His two fights in the UFC just shows how good he is. The shoulder crucifix of Jeremy Stephens and then the leg torque of Tyson Griffin... Man, those are awesome moves.

Just hope UFC don't cut him. He was winning his fight with Stephens before he got knocked out and IMO he won that fight with Tyson Griffin.. :cool:

Edited by G_sKiLLz
take hamill to the mat? that's easier said than done against a division 3 NCAA Wrestling Champion like Matt Hamill. Munoz supposedly had even better wrestling credentials than Hamill but was not even able to take him down even once. Unless Brandon decides to pull guard on the guy I really don't see this happening. I mean I don't think he wants Hamill on top of him whether inside his guard or not.

Brandon's advantage really here is up on the feet. He is by far the more superior technical standup fighter. He is no slouch in wrestling either but the way I see it he ought to use his wrestling just to keep the fight on the feet and fend off the Hammer's takedowns.

yep, sprawl and brawl and kicks those legs of Hamill

i don't wanna see Brandon pulling guard against Hamill, he'll just get GnPed by the Hammer...

pinaka exciting na JiuJitsu Warrior para sakin si Damien Maya. Pag natalo nya si Nate magkakatitle shot na din sya^^

not a title shot yet even if Maia wins against Marquardt, he should beat Ace or Hendo first ^_^

i just heard ed folayang wasted his international opponent.

pwede na sa UFC si Folayang, sana may maka diskubre sa kanya at dalhin siya sa DREAM o kaya sa SENGOKU