Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Anderson Silva pondering retirement?

By Maggie Hendricks

Anderson Silva is saying that he is going to retire:

"I'll retire next year, I already gave my all. I don't need to prove anything for anyone and within one year I'll put my gloves aside."

To say that I'm shocked is an understatement. Silva currently sits atop the Yahoo! Sports pound-for-pound rankings, and is one of the best fighters in MMA's short history. His well-rounded game has forced other fighters to advance their technique to merely attempt to compete with him. His retirement, if he actually follows through, would leave a definite hole in the sport.

So what does that mean for the year? Are his next fights going to be the Anderson Silva farewell tour? His next fight is against Patrick Cote at UFC 90 on October 25 in Chicago. If he is serious about retiring, Silva could make it official there.

He has talked in the past about getting in the boxing ring and could bring a cadre of fans with him. Though he has been a UFC company man, doing whatever Dana White asked of him, Silva's possible entry into the ranks of the sweet science could be a dream-come-true for the Affliction/Golden Boy partnership. Of course, he could also truly put his gloves aside, sit back, relax and enjoy some golf. I hear that's what other retired athletes like to do.

I think he's too young and it's too early for him to retire, there are still alot of great fighters out there.

Maybe he can stay at the LHW division madami siyang makakalaban dun which can be a challenge to him.

Every Fighter Comes to a point when they think they've done enough. More so these guys at the top of the heap who have been fighting for a very long time. The training and conditioning (physically and mentally and otherwise) required to be a top notch MMA fighter can sometimes be quite draining.

I just think the Spider maybe a bit burned out. He maybe pondering retirement but perhaps not a "permanent" retirement.

I'm in constant communication thru ym with 6-0 undefeated former URCC heavyweight champ TJ Tiu who did declare his retirement from the sport 2 years ago and has since moved on to the states. And as what he says he really misses being in the the ring and mixing it up and wishes he could go back to fighting.

It's like what Apollo Creed said to Rocky Balboa in Rocky 4. Fighters have this killer instinct you just don't turn off. They might feel tired or bored (or both) but the competitive spirit is always there.

Anderson is too young to retire anyway. I think all he really needs is a long and well deserved break.

Every Fighter Comes to a point when they think they've done enough. More so these guys at the top of the heap who have been fighting for a very long time. The training and conditioning (physically and mentally and otherwise) required to be a top notch MMA fighter can sometimes be quite draining.

I just think the Spider maybe a bit burned out. He maybe pondering retirement but perhaps not a "permanent" retirement.

I'm in constant communication thru ym with 6-0 undefeated former URCC heavyweight champ TJ Tiu who did declare his retirement from the sport 2 years ago and has since moved on to the states. And as what he says he really misses being in the the ring and mixing it up and wishes he could go back to fighting.

It's like what Apollo Creed said to Rocky Balboa in Rocky 4. Fighters have this killer instinct you just don't turn off. They might feel tired or bored (or both) but the competitive spirit is always there.

Anderson is too young to retire anyway. I think all he really needs is a long and well deserved break.

Or a loss....Might be impossible but I hope Cote gets the 'Lucky Punch' then maybe Spider will think twice about retirement. Hope him and GSP or Penn will meet up in weight...then will see some intelligent MMA!

Or a loss....Might be impossible but I hope Cote gets the 'Lucky Punch' then maybe Spider will think twice about retirement. Hope him and GSP or Penn will meet up in weight...then will see some intelligent MMA!

Well Patrick Cote is no bloke. He is a good fighter don't get me wrong but I don't think he has the tools to deal with an Anderson Silva. Both Standing up and on the ground (Cote has no 'offensive' ground game as we have seen during his previous fights).

I'd actually rather pick Micheal Bisping or even Yushin Okami over him to be the one to finally place a mark on the Spider's UFC loss column.

Well Patrick Cote is no bloke. He is a good fighter don't get me wrong but I don't think he has the tools to deal with an Anderson Silva. Both Standing up and on the ground (Cote has no 'offensive' ground game as we have seen during his previous fights).

I'd actually rather pick Micheal Bisping or even Yushin Okami over him to be the one to finally place a mark on the Spider's UFC loss column.

+1 on Bisping

Really? You guys think that Bisping can beat The Spider? That guy's been on a strict tomato can diet since he started fighting in the UFC. I know I shouldn't do MMAth but his striking is not even at par with Franklin and we all know how far Ace Ventura's arsenal took him in his two outings with Anderson. I still think a 100 percent Hendo is the man to do the job.

This is not really an argument. I want a practitioner's point of view as to how can Bisping possibly beat Silva. Please elaborate.

Really? You guys think that Bisping can beat The Spider? That guy's been on a strict tomato can diet since he started fighting in the UFC. I know I shouldn't do MMAth but his striking is not even at par with Franklin and we all know how far Ace Ventura's arsenal took him in his two outings with Anderson. I still think a 100 percent Hendo is the man to do the job.

This is not really an argument. I want a practitioner's point of view as to how can Bisping possibly beat Silva. Please elaborate.

Well what I said was I would pick Bisping over Cote (in response to another post) in terms of who I think could 'better' beat (or perform well against) the Spider.

I don't know if you guys have noticed but Anderson Silva likes to 'measure'. He will actually let an opponent hit him a couple of times before engaging him cause he likes to figure out the range, power and the overall quality of a guy's striking. Franklin tried to measure Anderson Silva himself during their last two meetings and wound up unsuccessful. In my opinion Bisping's 'fast starting', agressive, brawling style might actually serve him well against a methodical Anderson Silva.

You may argue that Chris the Crippler Leben actually used the same strategy against Silva and lost. Well let me just say that Bisping and Leben are two different fighters. Bisping has better defense, head movement and Octagon Control than Leben (due to his training with Juanito Ibarra) and has that ability to "explode" on an opponent with a barrage of strikes that Leben doesn't have. (Leben IMHO is much like a Caloy Baduria who will just try to hit you as hard as he can each time till he has you beat even to the point that he has defenses down just to deliver that killer shot). It was actually that "hit as hard and often as you can" approach which landed Leben in trouble because he was open to counter strikes from the Spider. I don't think Bisping would have the same problem cause compared to the Crippler his striking is more sound technically.

Apart from that he is a big strong fighter at 185 so Anderson might have trouble with his size (and his base as what we saw in his fight with Jason Day) if it hits the mat and he ends up in guard. Remember Travis Lutter nearly had Anderson beat had he not tried that lazy armbar and had just stuck to good old GNP.

Don't get me wrong though being a wrestler myself I also think Hendo stylistically is the worst style matchup for Anderson Silva. Given his wrestling ability,base and his chin.

I just didn't pick him cause they just fought and he had just lost to the him.

Edited by geneticfreak

Personally, the best way someone can beat the spider is if he can Silva down, keep him there and GNP or submit him. Most of his losses before his rise to UFC were on the ground.

Don't get me wrong though being a wrestler myself I also think Hendo stylistically is the worst style matchup for Anderson Silva. Given his wrestling ability,base and his chin.

Hendo just doesn't have enough power to take out silva IMHO. Perhaps a wreslter with better sub defense has a better chance.

EliteXC, Affliction collaboration could be prelude to Fedor vs. Kimbo Slice

by Steve Sievert on Sep 25, 2008 at 11:25 am ET

As a single fight, Andrei Arlovski vs. Roy Nelson on next month's EliteXC "Saturday Night Fights" show on CBS doesn't do a whole lot for me.

If the "Pitbull" version of Arlovski who battered and stopped Ben Rothwell inside three rounds back in July shows up against Nelson, the bout could be over in a hurry, with Arlovski getting his hand raised and the scene shifting quickly to the next bout on the card.

It's what this fight means for the future of EliteXC and Affliction that has me counting the days to Oct. 4. Affliction's willingness to sublease Arlovski and Nelson puts fans a step closer to seeing, perhaps, the biggest fight to be made in mixed martial arts today – Fedor Emelianenko against Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson.

At first blush such a match-up might seem laughable – the world's consensus No. 1 heavyweight versus a guy who's fought in MMA three times against opposition with a combined record of 33 wins and 34 losses – but tell me you haven't thought about it. I'm sure Affliction and EliteXC have. And, getting Arlovski and Nelson into the EliteXC mix on CBS is a move that demonstrates that both organizations are willing to back up the talk about their desire to work with other promotions to make big fights.

Few fights would be bigger than Fedor vs. Slice.

Randy Couture's recent reconciliation with the UFC put speculation about a potential Couture-Emelianenko fight back on the front burner. However, with EliteXC and Affliction forging a partnership, which could even lead to a merger down the road, it becomes more likely that both organizations would work together to keep the UFC from making a buck off of a Couture-Emelianenko fight. Matching Emelianenko and Slice is the best way for EliteXC and Affliction to generate interest in their respective promotions, rack up hundreds of thousands of pay-per-view buys, and kick sand in the face of the UFC.

There is certainly plenty of work to be done to turn Emelianenko into a fighting brand in the States. He's fought here only twice and has little recognition beyond the hardcore MMA fan base. Slice, on the other hand, is as mainstream a fighter as there is in MMA. On paper, the fight might be a skills mismatch, but it's a marketer's dream and would be huge.

After the UFC was unable to come to contract terms with Emelianenko last year, UFC President Dana White started publicly bashing the once-beaten Russian, criticizing the quality of his opponents and saying he wasn't even a top five heavyweight. While money has a way of helping a fighter forget about that type of criticism, I would think Emelianenko and his camp would find great satisfaction from still being able to land a huge payday without having to go through White and the UFC to get it. EliteXC and Slice would deliver such a windfall.

EliteXC and Affliction need to do something dramatic to break the UFC's stranglehold on the MMA market. Collaborating on a national stage on CBS is an intriguing first step, but there's another fight out there that has a whole lot more potential.

source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/12853/elitexc-af...kimbo-slice.mma

Edited by berserker15

The Ultimate Fighter Season 8 Episode 2

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/Todd-ric/30a6jbl.jpg

Lightweight elimination #5: Wesley Murch (3-2) vs. John Polakowski (2-1)

Light heavyweight elimination #5: Shane Primm (1-0) vs. Sean O’Connell (1-1)

Lightweight elimination #6: Ido Pariente (13-4) vs. Efrain Escudero (10-0)

Light heavyweight elimination #6: Ryan Lopez (4-3) vs. Tom Lawler (4-1-1)

Lightweight elimination #7: Roli Delgado (5-3-1) vs George Roop (8-3)

Light heavyweight elimination #7: Kyle Kingsbury (7-1) vs. Ryan Bader (7-0)

Lightweight elimination #8: Charles Diaz (3-0) vs Shane Nelson (9-3)

Light heavyweight elimination #8: Eliot Marshall (5-1) vs. Karn Grigoryan (5-0)

http://rapidshare.com/files/148294544/TUF_S08_E02.part1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/148310493/TUF_S08_E02.part2.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/148302813/TUF_S08_E02.part3.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/148317392/TUF_S08_E02.part4.rar

or

http://uploaded.to/file/eyxonz/The.Ultimat...ceMan.part1.rar

http://uploaded.to/file/gkwpmr/The.Ultimat...ceMan.part2.rar

http://uploaded.to/file/z6rcuf/The.Ultimat...ceMan.part3.rar

http://uploaded.to/file/iwp62i/The.Ultimat...ceMan.part4.rar

or

http://netload.in/dateiNDA4Mzc0NT/The.Ulti...n.part1.rar.htm

http://netload.in/datei4e1ebf0e67/The.Ulti...n.part2.rar.htm

http://netload.in/dateiMzM3MDM5Nz/The.Ulti...n.part3.rar.htm

http://netload.in/dateiMTc3NDUyNT/The.Ulti...n.part4.rar.htm

or

http://rapidshare.com/files/148185853/The....ceMan.part1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/148185701/The....ceMan.part2.rar

I totally agree that Silva seems unbeatable but then again this is MMA and noone is invincible!

Just trying to dish out a way for Silva not to retire early.

Silva and GSP are two of my favorites...

Anyone knows if there's an organize MMA tournament 1st week of Nov? I have visitors from Canada that wants to see MMA Pinoy style.

Thanks.

A bit of History:

Tito ortiz seemed invincible before till the natural totally outclassed him

Chuck seemed invincible till Rampage exposed his weakness

Matt Hughes seemed invincible till GSP stepped into the picture.

in MMA anybody can beat anyone so sooner or later, someone will be able to solve the puzzle called the spider

Thiago Silva vs Lyoto Machida rescheduled for UFC 93

http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/silva-machida.jpg

The monster light heavyweight clash between unbeatens Thiago Silva and Lyoto Machida appears to now be set for UFC 93 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on January 31, according to Tatame.com.

It was a 205-pound bout that was originally scheduled for UFC 89: “Bisping vs. Leben” on October 18; however, Silva had to withdraw from the contest because of a back injury sustained during training. The cancellation was a bummer because it was a highly anticipated match up between two of the top contenders in the division.

And there was some concern that the injury would scrap the bout altogether, but it appears that it will go down once and for all on Super Bowl weekend.

Machida has won five straight inside the Octagon, including big time bouts against Tito Ortiz, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and Kazuhiro Nakamura among others. He’s perhaps one of the most difficult fighters to figure out — “The Dragon” has a technical fight style that appears to frustrate his opponents, as well as a few fans who claim he is “boring.”

Regardless, he’s been knocking on the door of a title shot for some time now. And a win over a bad dude like Silva would certainly improve his chances.

Silva brings the fierce Chute Boxe aggression into his fights (even though he is now no longer with the camp), stopping all but one of his opponents throughout his exciting mixed martial arts career. He has an explosive mix of punches and kicks, which can often leave him open to counter strikes.

However, Silva has proven that he can take punishment and dish out more … just ask Tomasz Drwal, Houston Alexander and Antonio Mendes.

UFC 93 already features the blockbuster showdown between champions Georges St. Pierre and BJ Penn. Stay tuned for more UFC 93 rumors and fight card updates.

Thiago Silva vs Lyoto Machida rescheduled for UFC 93

http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/silva-machida.jpg

The monster light heavyweight clash between unbeatens Thiago Silva and Lyoto Machida appears to now be set for UFC 93 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on January 31, according to Tatame.com.

It was a 205-pound bout that was originally scheduled for UFC 89: “Bisping vs. Leben” on October 18; however, Silva had to withdraw from the contest because of a back injury sustained during training. The cancellation was a bummer because it was a highly anticipated match up between two of the top contenders in the division.

And there was some concern that the injury would scrap the bout altogether, but it appears that it will go down once and for all on Super Bowl weekend.

Machida has won five straight inside the Octagon, including big time bouts against Tito Ortiz, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and Kazuhiro Nakamura among others. He’s perhaps one of the most difficult fighters to figure out — “The Dragon” has a technical fight style that appears to frustrate his opponents, as well as a few fans who claim he is “boring.”

Regardless, he’s been knocking on the door of a title shot for some time now. And a win over a bad dude like Silva would certainly improve his chances.

Silva brings the fierce Chute Boxe aggression into his fights (even though he is now no longer with the camp), stopping all but one of his opponents throughout his exciting mixed martial arts career. He has an explosive mix of punches and kicks, which can often leave him open to counter strikes.

However, Silva has proven that he can take punishment and dish out more … just ask Tomasz Drwal, Houston Alexander and Antonio Mendes.

UFC 93 already features the blockbuster showdown between champions Georges St. Pierre and BJ Penn. Stay tuned for more UFC 93 rumors and fight card updates.

now this one's gonna be exciting!

a MMA wankers wet dream! ^_^

hard to call this fight since i'm a fan of both, but in the fight itself the Dragon has the advantage IMHO