Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

MMA hobbyist lan po ko. Meaning I take training just for fun and exercise to keep my mind and body sharp.

Too bad nover lost again. Maybe MMA is not for him. Can't wait for vera to whoop ass again!

Impressive win from maia and thiago.

Damn sonnen presented more guns!

I love it when thiago ang mike tried evading blow from each other, what a brilliance!!!!!!

I'm watching the replays on Studio 23 just now... Nice win by Chael Sonnen. :thumbsupsmiley: That's one for all the wrestlers... Joe Rogan again alludes to the fact during his play by play that there's really no better base to enter MMA in than amateur wrestling... The mental toughness you get from training and competing in either freestyle or greco roman is such a big plus when competing in MMA.

And what he said about the murderous wrestling training sessions in the top NCAA schools is quite true. Apart from training with two time SEA Games gold medalist Violeto Agustin I also am working right now with a former California State Wrestling Champ and the training is just tremendous.

Great night for wrestlers overall. Chael Sonnen and of course the Natural.

Guest megalodon

I thought Nate the Great had Sonnen choked out when he applied a guillotine choke in the third round. I was hoping that Nate the Great would get another shot at Silva. I hope Silva shuts Sonnen's big mouth should he win against Belfort and meet Sonnen.

I thought Nate the Great had Sonnen choked out when he applied a guillotine choke in the third round. I was hoping that Nate the Great would get another shot at Silva. I hope Silva shuts Sonnen's big mouth should he win against Belfort and meet Sonnen.

Two things here first off the arm in guillotine is very hard to finish off when done during the latter rounds (such is in the Nate-Sonnen fight) when both are slippery with sweat and in this case blood from that nasty cut on the forehead Chael got from that grazing elbow fired at him by Nate from his back during the second round. Another thing is by the third round your arms are very sore that might make something like pulling off an arm guillotine a lot more difficult. And again... that's a testimony to the mental toughness of a world class wrestler like a Chael Sonnen. It was late in the fight and he had clearly dominated the first two rounds and majority of the last round and he would rather passed out by then than tapped out.

I honestly thought before the fight that Nate was already a complete fighter... that fight showed us a couple of things about his game. First off he has a lot of work to do regarding his takedown defense and secondly he has to be better at fighting off of his back. Joe Rogan was absolutely spot on when he said that if you're gonna fight a wrestler the level of a Chael Sonnen or a Dan Henderson you can't just have a good guard... you have to be a 'murderer' with your guard and Nate clearly has no submissions (or even sweeps) from his guard. Even when Silva beat him, he beat him with a wrestling move (he did a switchout to defend Nate's single leg takedown and ended up taking Nate down and eventually pounding him out for the TKO).

Indeed the wrestling and greco roman style have plus in MMA. It some what give an extra mental toughness... I would admit I'm a bit low on metal toughness.

Not to underestimate coleman. I think the guy deserves to be a hall of famer as well. Its just that randy continued to keep his ass in shape giving him the advantage of being a "younger" than mark. Should the fight happened long time ago I think the result might end up differently.

Guest megalodon
Two things here first off the arm in guillotine is very hard to finish off when done during the latter rounds (such is in the Nate-Sonnen fight) when both are slippery with sweat and in this case blood from that nasty cut on the forehead Chael got from that grazing elbow fired at him by Nate from his back during the second round. Another thing is by the third round your arms are very sore that might make something like pulling off an arm guillotine a lot more difficult. And again... that's a testimony to the mental toughness of a world class wrestler like a Chael Sonnen. It was late in the fight and he had clearly dominated the first two rounds and majority of the last round and he would rather passed out by then than tapped out.

I honestly thought before the fight that Nate was already a complete fighter... that fight showed us a couple of things about his game. First off he has a lot of work to do regarding his takedown defense and secondly he has to be better at fighting off of his back. Joe Rogan was absolutely spot on when he said that if you're gonna fight a wrestler the level of a Chael Sonnen or a Dan Henderson you can't just have a good guard... you have to be a 'murderer' with your guard and Nate clearly has no submissions (or even sweeps) from his guard. Even when Silva beat him, he beat him with a wrestling move (he did a switchout to defend Nate's single leg takedown and ended up taking Nate down and eventually pounding him out for the TKO).

Yup, me too. I thought after taking out Maia, Nate would have a walk in the park against Sonnen. Maybe next time. But in my opinion, a jiujitsu guy will always have an advantage against a wrestler. Perfect example was when Big Nog dominated Couture. Speaking of Big Nog, I'd pick him over Velasquez.

great stuff by Sonnen, and he claims that he doesn't train full time... (only 3 hours a day he said) i also thought that Nate would be standing over Sonnen but i was wrong...

Paulo Thiago is one bad man...

hehehe anybody got the license plate number of that mini bus that hit Frank Trigg? ^_^

Yup, me too. I thought after taking out Maia, Nate would have a walk in the park against Sonnen. Maybe next time. But in my opinion, a jiujitsu guy will always have an advantage against a wrestler. Perfect example was when Big Nog dominated Couture. Speaking of Big Nog, I'd pick him over Velasquez.

It depends bro... In MMA especially the advantage is a lot more negated. There's this famous line in MMA that goes... "if you punch a BJJ blackbelt once he becomes a brownbelt, if you punch him again he becomes a purple belt, and so on and so forth till he's just a mere whitebelt". hehe. Yeah it kinda sounds like a joke but trust me it's true... When Nog defeated Randy it was not merely by merit of his grappling ability remember in the first round of that fight he nearly knocked him out... Big Nog beat him in almost every aspect of the game in their match most notably in the standup department. And again it illustrates Rogan's point exactly... if you don't have the guard of a Demian Maia or a Big Nog to deal with the top game of a Randy Couture, Dan Henderson or Chael Sonnen it will be very hard for you.

There are also a lot of examples of top level BJJ artists being effectively controlled by wrestlers in an MMA match. Take for example the fight Henderson had against Palhares or Paulo Thaigo's only loss in the octagon wherein he was effectively controlled by Jon Fitch.

So if you got a top level wrestler versus a top level BJJ blackbelt... the match is pretty much up in the air. but it is MMA and other factors (like striking can come in to play) best example would be Paulo Thiago just knocking out Josh Koscheck out of nowhere with an uppercut hook combination. :thumbsupsmiley:

great stuff by Sonnen, and he claims that he doesn't train full time... (only 3 hours a day he said) i also thought that Nate would be standing over Sonnen but i was wrong...

Hehe yeah. I saw the Countdown Special and Sonnen's actually running for office in his district, the guy's got brains to boot also (though he did piss off a lot of folks in Ohio with his comments on Mark Coleman hehe).

3 hours a day every day after work to be an effective fighter? OO! :thumbsupsmiley: Puwede yan. hehehe. maniwala kayo.

ColeMan Lost! NOooooooo..... :thumbsdownsmiley:

Sonnen's on a streak! Im riding his bandwagon ! WARSONNEN!!! All the way to the UFC MW Championship belt! Hehe...

Tito's jut picking a fight which he "can" Win!!! :thumbsdownsmiley:

Yeah! I think 3 hours a day of training is enough! more than that is too much... :hypocritesmiley:

one thing i learned from ufc 109 is that paulo thiago is no fluke.. from victories against kos, fitch and now swick.. would definitely be excited to see him fight against top level competition guys in the division.

coleman got dissed by ortiz cos titio said that coleman was talking smack about tito and his wife so he was just defending their honor.. i saw in the post-interview that dana wasn't too pleased with what tito did but hey we should all get used to it by now.

lastly, anybody saw the rolles gracie fight?? rolles show weak cardio during the fight..

Guest megalodon

I guess you're correct GF. Another example of a wrestler dominating a jiujitsu practitioner was Lesnar against Mir. Lesnar wisely positioned himself in such a way that his weight and body would neutralize the hips of Mir.

Nate underestimated Chael as you can see in his facial expressions he didn't expect to be dominated...

reminder about a wrestler being better than a grapler in MMA... its Mixed martial Arts people... so whoever has the more complete skill set or can impose his gameplan on his opponent will win....

I've seen grapplers being submitted by strikers or wrestlers (belfort got tapped by overeem, travis lutter got tapped by lindland)

I wonder what Tito Ortiz shouted to Mark Coleman while he was being interviewed by Joe Rogan.. The Huntington Beach Badboy pissed the hell outta The Hammer. ^_^

sabi ni tito Paybacks a B*tch...

cnabi nya yan kzi inaasar sya ni coleman na natalo sya kay griffin...

c forrest griffin ang naging replacement ni mark coleman sa return fight ni tito nung november

dapa nga kzi si coleman tska tito ortiz ang magkalaban... na injured lang si coleman...