Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

after manny pacquiao, si brandon vera naman!

he won against frank mir via first round tko

hughes lost to st pierre by tko in the second.

s@%t!

is st pierre that good?

videos please.

SACRAMENTO, November 18 – Georges St. Pierre has never been shy in proclaiming Matt Hughes as his mixed martial arts idol, even citing it as a reason for his 2004 loss to the longtime champion. But tonight before a packed house at Arco Arena, St. Pierre showed no respect to his hero in their rematch, scoring a one-sided second round TKO to win the UFC Welterweight Championship.

“I don’t know what to say,” said Hughes. “I really didn’t expect it to go down like that.”

Neither did most MMA observers, who figured the bout would be one of the most competitive of 2006. In the end though, it was St. Pierre who ran through Hughes with extreme prejudice.

St. Pierre (13-1) pushed the pace early behind leg kicks and the occasional punch as Hughes (42-5) took his time looking for an opening. At the one minute mark of the round, it was St. Pierre picking the action up even more emphatically as he put Hughes on his heels with his impressive standup, which nonetheless brought a smile from the champion. Two low kicks from St. Pierre halted his momentum though as Hughes was forced to take a short break to recover. The Canadian kept his focus upon the restart and went right back to working his faster hands and feet on Hughes and tossing off the Illinois native’s first half-hearted takedown attempt. With under 1:20 to go, St. Pierre opted to take the fight to the canvas and landed some strikes before standing and scoring with a knee. Hughes looked to get back into the scoring column by committing to a takedown, but St. Pierre brushed him off and finished with a right hand that dropped the champion just before the bell intervened.

Hughes began the second round with a smirk, but this was no laughing matter, as St. Pierre was not only winning the standup game, he was showing the physical strength to keep the champion at bay. With 3:45 left, St. Pierre hit paydirt, landing a high left kick that put Hughes on the mat again, this time, the bell wouldn’t save the longtime champion, and with referee John McCarthy’s stoppage at 1:25 of the second, a new king was crowned.

In the co-feature, Tim Sylvia retained his UFC Heavyweight Championship with a gritty five round unanimous decision over Jeff Monson in a fight that was a lot closer than the 50-45 and 49-46 (twice) judges’ verdicts.

There was no question who the victor was though, as the 6-8 Sylvia’s takedown defense and surprising submission attempts, coupled with harder striking, proved to be too much for the game Monson, who at 5-9 was giving up almost a foot in height to the champion.

The first round played out according to prediction, with Sylvia looking to fight from long range while stuffing Monson’s takedown attempts. The champion was successful in this endeavor, but what fans didn’t expect was to see Monson land the more effective strikes of the round against Sylvia, though they were more of the points scoring nature, not causing any real damage.

The packed house started to get restless in the second round, and the fighters responded, with Sylvia picking up his work rate as Monson continued looking for the takedown unsuccessfully, with Sylvia either sprawling or tossing ‘The Snowman’ aside with relative ease. All the while, the strikes from Sylvia started to land with more and more frequency as Monson was seemingly stuck in neutral.

Early in the third round, just when it appeared Sylvia was pulling away, Monson finally got a takedown and the crowd roared. Monson started to open up with strikes from inside Sylvia’s guard, but whenever he tried to pass, Sylvia kept him stationary and began firing back with strikes of his own from the bottom. With two minutes left though, Monson moved to side control and briefly locked in a choke that Sylvia slipped out of. The challenger continued to work ferociously, knowing that this may be his only chance to keep the 6-8 Sylvia on the mat, and after escaping from another choke attempt, the champion stood and referee John McCarthy brought Monson to the ringside physician to check on his cut and almost closed right eye. The doctor allowed the bout to continue, but two big knees by Sylvia dropped Monson just before the bell rung, and the end appeared to be near.

His right eye almost shut, Monson gamely came out for the fourth round and the fans responded by chanting his name. Sylvia continued to work the distance calmly, and when the bout did hit the mat in the second minute, it was Sylvia on top and in control from the side. Monson reached for a leg, but Sylvia escaped and almost got full mount on the tired challenger. Then suddenly, it was Sylvia working for a submission briefly, but Monson survived and fought his way into Sylvia’s guard where again ‘The Maine-iac’ shocked all in attendance as he worked for a triangle choke just before the bell sounded.

The pace understandably slowed early in the fifth round, as both fighters circled and looked for an opening that just wasn’t presenting itself. Midway through the round, McCarthy halted the bout and ordered both fighters to pick up the pace, and it was Monson trying for a takedown and getting rebuffed by Sylvia, who proceeded to attack the prone Monson with points scoring leg kicks until McCarthy ordered a standup with 1:15 left. With under a minute left Monson would again get turned away, kicked, and stood up, and as the seconds ticked away on the fight, it was Sylvia pushing the action to the bell.

Brandon Vera (8-0) left no doubt as to his viability as the leading contender for the UFC heavyweight championship as he only needed 69 seconds to blitz and stop former world champion Frank Mir (9-3), who at 1-2 since a serious motorcycle accident in 2004 has seen his comeback hit a serious snag.

Surprisingly, Mir opted to stand and trade with the superior striker in Vera and wound up paying for it, getting buzzed with a straight right hand and then getting more seriously hurt by a right knee in the clinch that forced him to seek the takedown immediately. On the mat, Vera didn’t let up, letting loose with punch after punch on the now bloodied Mir and forcing a stoppage by referee Steve Mazzagatti.

• 3 weeks later...

wala na talaga si frank mir.......he is a different person since the accident.......kahit fully recovered na kahit papano siguradong medyo ingat na siya

i am a big fan of chuck lidell pero i think paay yun sa pride.......he can rule the ufc because he hardly gets taken down.....he uses he fence on his back to ge back up......sa pride, wala siyang sasandalan....that is if hindi niya ma ko muna ang kalaban

i hope to see brandon vera's ground skills one day...bugbog sarado lahat kalaban bago ma take down si vera

trivia.....ricco rodriguez joined the tv dating show "blind date" .......of course the girl did not opt for a second date......dinala niya kasi sa gym at pinakitaan ng mma skills niya......ni wrestling niya yung babae

Brandon VS Heath would be a standup war, ad Brandon has the advantage on the ground. Still, Herring is no slouch, so Vera better bring his "A" game if they fight.

I think Rampage beats Chuck again...although the fence could be an issue. I'd like to see Quentin slam Chuck to sleep like he did Arona!!!

sorry off topic...im a ufc and pridefc fan...i like pride better though too many rules in ufc for my taste no soccer kicks, no kneeing no stomping etc...fav fighters are fedor, wanderlei and cro-cop...not too familiar w our local mma but my coach dabbles in urcc once in a while...practising freestyle wrestling for almost a year so im still pretty new in it...

Joey Perico still teaches I see

he's a good teacher, although a bit close minded to other arts/disciplines, which is a bit contrary to the basic precepts of JKD.

If you are really set on training with Sir Joey, it's best that you train with other guys as well who will let you spar full contact. IMHO there is still no substitute for actually testing your skills full speed, you will never learn how to use your skills IRL if you just keep on slap sparring. Sir Joey teaches good concepts about striking though, and it's a good starting point for those who want to learn martial arts or MMA in particular.

no offense to Joey's student, just giving my 2 centavos worth.

ingat sila