Dc And Marvel Universe

• 3 months later...

Pasingit lang bros,

Are you reading JUSTICE and Infinite Crisis? I just got the 1st two comic books and the storyline is getting interesting. Actually, I was ready to bash Infinite Crisis....I was thinking it will be a rehash of the Crisis on Infinite Earths....mukhang interesting naman.

Now, I understand why they have the toys for JUSTICE in the stores right now....maganda naman.

i agree..Bats is a man on a mission...unlike the others..just displaying their abilities...with the exception of GL..who is part of a para military corps

in DC, i've always liked batman... even though i've only read a few of the comic books... the character's reason for doing what he does is personal, unlike most of DC's heroes... i'm not naming any names but the ones with powers are only doing it because they can...

:D

since i was a child my favorite superhero is superman,so i started watch the movies of superman and read the comics of superman...i like to story and i'm so amazed of his powers...now i'm reading JLA paperback issues...ang pinakagusto ko ay ang KINGDOME COME which painted by ALEX ROSS and story by ALAN MOORE because astig ung story and ung art...

i also read marvel comics...i read the comics of AMAZING SPIDERMAN and X-MEN but now i read paperbacks na because mas mura and hard bound pa...

post-82481-1130544789.gif

I have around 12 boxes of comic books (I stopped collecting when I started my NBA Card Collection which was in 1998).. I stopped collecting because my line of interest was more of the story line rather than the artwork.. nung bandang huli kasi puros baduy ang story lines eh. That's why I liked Jim Shooter so much and Stan Lee..

The old Marvel comics circa 70's to around 1995 were great.. even without Jim Lee, Liefeld, Mc Farlane... I would still buy them because of the great storylines and ideas.. The death of Gwen Stacy was one of my fave storylines and eventually the death of the original Green Goblin.. but when Norman Osborn resurfaced during the 1990's I got so disappointed because I thought to myself: wala na ba silang maisip na ibang magandang storyline.. bumaduy eh.. Pati nga X-men nung bandang huli bumaduy na eh..

I have tons of comics talaga.. I have the limited series Secret Wars I (my fave), I have the Batman saga where he was broken by Bane, and then Azrael and Nightwing took ever the mantle of the Bat (isang box din ito).. Xmen #1 - 95 yata and Uncanny X-Men #283 - around 390.. andito yung X-ecutioner's song, the first appearance of Bishop, etc. The Wedding of Spiderman and Superman.. the death of Superman and a lot more.. I even have some Valiant (X-O Manowar, Turok), Image (Team 7, Wetworks, Stone), Defiant (Warriors of Plasm), Malibu (Prime - one of my faves by Breyfogle).. may mga Lady Death and Vampirella pa dito na nakatabi..

But my fave character is Spidey.. iba kasi ang storyline nito.. kaya nga naging flagship character ng Marvel ito eh.. the Green Goblin saga was great (sa Marvel Tales ko nabasa ito), the Kraven series was good, and especially the Hobgoblin saga.. okay dun yung Venom and Carnage.. kaso nung huli naging masyadong overexposed si Venom and Carnage.. kaya biglang nawala interest ko sa Spiderman..

Top 5 Comic Characters of all time:

1) Spiderman

2) Batman

3) Wolverine

4) Capt. America

5) Superman

All in all, Marvel fan ako keysa sa DC.. iba talaga mag-create ng character si Stan "the Man" Lee.. Hulk, Iron Man, Daredevil, X-Men.. the list goes on and on..

.. pang anim na siguro si Thor.. to the fans of Thor.. maganda rin yung pagbabalik ni Thor after Thunderstrike (Eric Masterson) took the helm.. ganda ng story..

Sana bumalik ang interest ko sa comics but only if they go back to the roots --- yung mga matitinding storylines.. hindi yung old Image style na pangit ang story ang ganda ng artwork.. kasi ang essence ng comic books naman talaga ay easy reading di ba? hindi nice pruos nice art.. :rolleyes:

The old Marvel comics circa 70's to around 1995 were great.. even without Jim Lee, Liefeld, Mc Farlane... I would still buy them because of the great storylines and ideas.. The death of Gwen Stacy was one of my fave storylines and eventually the death of the original Green Goblin.. but when Norman Osborn resurfaced during the 1990's I got so disappointed because I thought to myself: wala na ba silang maisip na ibang magandang

Sana bumalik ang interest ko sa comics but only if they go back to the roots --- yung mga matitinding storylines.. hindi yung old Image style na pangit ang story ang ganda ng artwork.. kasi ang essence ng comic books naman talaga ay easy reading di ba? hindi nice pruos nice art..  :rolleyes:

Then NOW is the BEST time to get back into comics! There are so many great writers and stories out there from the mainstream Marvel and DC titles! Go get the TPBs since nearly all good story arcs are collected in book format now.

Here's a quick recommendation of really good Marvel/DC books:

1. New X-Men Volume 1 HC, written by Grant Morrisson.

2. ALL the daredevil HCs by Brian Michael Bendis (best to read it in order).

3. ALL the Alias books by Brian Michael Bendis

4. X-Force and X-Statix by Peter Milligan

5. The Ultimates by Mark Millar

6. Batman: Broken City by Brian Azzarello

7. Batman: Fugitive (3 books) by Greg Rucka, various

8. Superman - Red Son by Mark Millar

9. Superman - Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek

10. Superman for All Seasons - Jeph Loeb (this supposedly inspired the Smallville TV series)

(btw, its better to get the Marvel oversized HCs since its cheaper than collecting the issues individually, Fully Booked has a great selection of them)

other (off-beat) superhero titles that you might want to read:

1. Top Ten (Books 1 and 2) by Alan Moore

2. The Authority (Books 1 and 2) by Warren Ellis

3. Sleeper by Ed Brubaker

4. The Invisibles by Grant Morrison

5. Enigma by Peter Milligan

non-superhero titles:

1. 100 Bullets (series of TPBs) by Brian Azzarello

2. Y the Last Man (series of TPBs) by Brian Vaughan

3. Lucifer (series of TPBs) by Mike Carey

4. Transmetropolitan (series of TPBs) by Warren Ellis

5. Jimmy Corrigan by Chris Ware

In general look for the books by the following writers:

Alan Moore, Mike Carey, Ed Brubaker, Brian Azzarello, Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, and Peter Milligan. I would have included Neil Gaiman in the list of good authors, but his superhero books just suck.

Then NOW is the BEST time to get back into comics! There are so many great writers and stories out there from the mainstream Marvel and DC titles! Go get the TPBs since nearly all good story arcs are collected in book format now.

Thank you Mr. Thirteen for the list of the "good read" comic books.. Just wanna ask.. (coz I am a big Spidey fan).. How come you did not include any Spidey TPB's at all? Hindi pa rin ba magaganda ang mga storylines ng aking fave superhero? Well, sana naman maibalik ko nga interest ko in comic books. I still read my old comics whenever I have the time.. parang reminiscing the old story lines that have made me very happy during my younger days.. Peace, dude!!! :P

Thank you Mr. Thirteen for the list of the "good read" comic books.. Just wanna ask.. (coz I am a big Spidey fan).. How come you did not include any Spidey TPB's at all? Hindi pa rin ba magaganda ang mga storylines ng aking fave superhero? Well, sana naman maibalik ko nga interest ko in comic books. I still read my old comics whenever I have the time.. parang reminiscing the old story lines that have made me very happy during my younger days.. Peace, dude!!! :P

Well, I can't really recommend any recent Spdierman books since I don't really read them. Ever since that entire "spider -clone" story arc, I've avoided the spider titles all together. Incidentally, Marvel editors eventually admitted just how a terrible idea the entire spider-clone saga was and avoid referencing it to any storyline. I've read some Ultimate Spiderman stories, but they are generally hit-n-miss. (BTW, the Ultimate series of titles from Marvel are a separate universe, they are a what-if spider-man / the x-men / the avengers / the FF4 / etc. were retold in modern terms kinda thing). I'm not sure but I think New Avengers 1-6 (by Bendis) is already collected in TPB format. Spidey is among the New Avengers included in the roster. But if you're not in a hurry, I'd wait for Marvel to come out with New Avengers 1-12 in a HC format.

Pahabol: I asked a friend, and he said that the relaunched spider-man titles are pretty good, waaaay better then the mid to late 90's stories. Generally, look for spiderman titles with J. Michael Strazinsky / Paul Jenkins / Mark Millar as writers. He particularly like Paul Jenkin's run on Peter Parker: Spider-man.

I just finished watching  the last few episodes of JLU's season 4 ---- and many are one in saying the writers certainly earned their pay. Every episode (or plots, for that matter ) greatly ties in with the continuum of the DC universe. The last 2 episodes were specially commendable giving more twists and turns in plot than any I have ever seen.

No spoiler --but for Flash fans out there, better keep an eye out when these episodes are shown on local TV. You won't be disappointed! :D

JLU is amazing. Great writers, awesome voice talent, and the dialogue is just first rate.

Season 5 is off to a great start, with another promising story arc starring Gorilla Grodd. It's a great time to be a comics fan, you can get your kicks even from non-comic sources.

spiderman was my favorite too. but i agree with an earlier post about the "clone issue". i thought it was bullshit, that only a clone came back in the form of peter parker and lived his life for him. how would the clone know how to react and feel the parker did? its not even from the same planet. anybody here read any good dc marvel crossover? I saw some ads in old comic books about some cross over (superman vs spiderman, spiderman and batman helping each other to capture the joker, and even a short strip of batman fighting daredevil) but was unable to by any cross over.

too bad JLU episodes in DVD format (sold in tiangges) are limited to one season :(

They are really pushing for that Bats & Diana romance huh :D

GA & BC are romantically involved prior Crisis :D

Has anyone read the Rebirth of Hal Jordan? ive heard he was resurrected by DC...OA was recreated again? :boo:

• 2 weeks later...

Friends,

Now is the best time to get into the DC/Marvel comic book lines. Both companies are currently featuring universe-altering storylines that will forever change the way these universes are perceived. I'll start with the DCU since their Infinite Crisis story arc is still ongoing. (Warning Spoiler Alert: If you do not wish to know what happens in this story arc, DO NOT CONTINUE READING THIS POST!)

The series begins in the aftermath of the leadup miniseries and several stories in other titles. The Justice League Watchtower has been destroyed, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are feuding, the OMACs are hunting down heroes and villains alike, a rift in space and time has opened in deep space, the Spectre is hunting and destroying magic, and the villains of the DC world have banded together into the Secret Society of Supervillains, killing prominant heroes like the Freedom Fighters. In response to this, the Superman of Earth-Two breaks out of the world in which he departed at the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths, accompanied by Earth-Two's Lois Lane, Superboy of Earth-Prime, and Alexander Luthor of Earth-Three. Upon his return, he finds Power Girl and is able to restore her memories of Earth-Two. He then declares his plans and intentions—to reverse the decision made during the Crisis on Infinite Earths to save Earth-One, and make Earth-Two the dominant and primary Earth again.

Meanwhile, the other known survivor of the multiverse, Donna Troy, gathers a group of heroes to New Cronus for a mission into space to fight an unknown menace to the cosmos.

Check this ongoing series out for more details. The DCU will never be the same again!

:cool:

I have around 12 boxes of comic books (I stopped collecting when I started my NBA Card Collection which was in 1998).. I stopped collecting because my line of interest was more of the story line rather than the artwork.. nung bandang huli kasi puros baduy ang story lines eh.  That's why I liked Jim Shooter so much and Stan Lee..

The old Marvel comics circa 70's to around 1995 were great.. even without Jim Lee, Liefeld, Mc Farlane... I would still buy them because of the great storylines and ideas.. The death of Gwen Stacy was one of my fave storylines and eventually the death of the original Green Goblin.. but when Norman Osborn resurfaced during the 1990's I got so disappointed because I thought to myself: wala na ba silang maisip na ibang magandang storyline.. bumaduy eh.. Pati nga X-men nung bandang huli bumaduy na eh..

I have tons of comics talaga.. I have the limited series Secret Wars I (my fave), I have the Batman saga where he was broken by Bane, and then Azrael and Nightwing took ever the mantle of the Bat (isang box din ito).. Xmen #1 - 95 yata and Uncanny X-Men #283 - around 390.. andito yung X-ecutioner's song, the first appearance of Bishop, etc. The Wedding of Spiderman and Superman.. the death of Superman and a lot more.. I even have some Valiant (X-O Manowar, Turok), Image (Team 7, Wetworks, Stone), Defiant (Warriors of Plasm), Malibu (Prime - one of my faves by Breyfogle).. may mga Lady Death and Vampirella pa dito na nakatabi..

But my fave character is Spidey.. iba kasi ang storyline nito.. kaya nga naging flagship character ng Marvel ito eh.. the Green Goblin saga was great (sa Marvel Tales ko nabasa ito), the Kraven series was good, and especially the Hobgoblin saga.. okay dun yung Venom and Carnage.. kaso nung huli naging masyadong overexposed si Venom and Carnage.. kaya biglang nawala interest ko sa Spiderman..

Top 5 Comic Characters of all time:

1)  Spiderman

2)  Batman

3)  Wolverine

4)  Capt. America

5)  Superman

All in all, Marvel fan ako keysa sa DC.. iba talaga mag-create ng character si Stan "the Man" Lee.. Hulk, Iron Man, Daredevil, X-Men.. the list goes on and on..

.. pang anim na siguro si Thor.. to the fans of Thor.. maganda rin yung pagbabalik ni Thor after Thunderstrike (Eric Masterson) took the helm.. ganda ng story..

Sana bumalik ang interest ko sa comics but only if they go back to the roots --- yung mga matitinding storylines.. hindi yung old Image style na pangit ang story ang ganda ng artwork.. kasi ang essence ng comic books naman talaga ay easy reading di ba? hindi nice pruos nice art..  :rolleyes:

halos pareho lang pala tayong time nag-quit sa pag-collect ng comics eh :) kaso di ganon ka-extensive collection ko tulad ng sa yo. karamihan sa mga comics ko eh galing sa booksale, pero meron din akong mga maganda tulad nung X-Men #1 (yung una nilang "expansion" ng Uncanny X-men) na ginawa nilang nagre-revolve sa X-men Blue team yung storyline tapos yung Uncanny X-men comics naman sa X-men Gold team. medyo hanggang dun lang ako sa Marvel comics kasi lumabas yung Image non tapos nagandahan ako sa kwento at drawing nung Stormwatch kaya yun ang sinubukan kong kolektahin. kaso naka-dalawang issue lang din ako kasi ang mahal talaga ng issue at medyo naaliw na din ako sa NBA cards after non.. hehehe :D

pero nabasa ko yung Death of Superman collection tapos inabutan ko pa naman din yung storyline sa Batman na nabaldado siya ni Bane tapos sinira(?) ni Joker yung Wayne empire kasi binuko niya yung true identity ni Batman...

kaka-miss yung simple pero astig na mga kwento dati, nag-simula akong di na magandahan sa comics nung masyado na nilang pinahaba yung kwento ng Age Of Apocalypse: After Xavier (mali ata yung title) series nung X-men. maganda sa simula pero parang naging dragging na lang yung kwento kaya naasar ako. pero I'll always love the characters I've grown to known in the comics world. :)

the top 5 "lesser" known characters that I really like are (not in any specific order):

1) Cannonball

2) Sunspot

3) Blue Beetle

4) Guy Gardner

5) Havoc

halos pareho lang pala tayong time nag-quit sa pag-collect ng comics eh :) kaso di ganon ka-extensive collection ko tulad ng sa yo. karamihan sa mga comics ko eh galing sa booksale, pero meron din akong mga maganda tulad nung X-Men #1 (yung una nilang "expansion" ng Uncanny X-men) na ginawa nilang nagre-revolve sa X-men Blue team yung storyline tapos yung Uncanny X-men comics naman sa X-men Gold team. medyo hanggang dun lang ako sa Marvel comics kasi lumabas yung Image non tapos nagandahan ako sa kwento at drawing nung Stormwatch kaya yun ang sinubukan kong kolektahin. kaso naka-dalawang issue lang din ako kasi ang mahal talaga ng issue at medyo naaliw na din ako sa NBA cards after non.. hehehe :D

pero nabasa ko yung Death of Superman collection tapos inabutan ko pa naman din yung storyline sa Batman na nabaldado siya ni Bane tapos sinira(?) ni Joker yung Wayne empire kasi binuko niya yung true identity ni Batman...

kaka-miss yung simple pero astig na mga kwento dati, nag-simula akong di na magandahan sa comics nung masyado na nilang pinahaba yung kwento ng Age Of Apocalypse: After Xavier (mali ata yung title) series nung X-men. maganda sa simula pero parang naging dragging na lang yung kwento kaya naasar ako. pero I'll always love the characters I've grown to known in the comics world. :)

the top 5 "lesser" known characters that I really like are (not in any specific order):

1) Cannonball

2) Sunspot

3) Blue Beetle

4) Guy Gardner

5) Havoc

So Mr. Cheeselogger.. do you still collect NBA Cards? I am still collecting.. rookies and si Tim Duncan ang collection ko.. Siyempre Ginobili, and Parker.. I am looking for cards of the rookies this season.. hindi na kasi ako nakakapunta every Saturday sa Galleria to trade and buy from the collectors and mga "hagad" sa Courtside..

One of my top "lesser" known characters in comics was Damage.. from DC..

Are there hard-core collectors among you gentlemen??? I'm selling signed, remarked, and/or slabbed comics. Kindly PM me for your wants and needs... I may have a signed copy of the issue your looking for.

An example would be Identity Crisis #1, Ive got copies signed by artist Michael Bair (one copy remarked with a Elongated Man head sketch, and one with a Green-Arrow head sketch) and cover artist Michael Turner.

post-9208-1134007416.jpg

Kindly PM me for your wants and needs... I may have a signed copy of the issue your looking for.