Dc And Marvel Universe

Uncle Ben ? Why don't you include Gwen Stacy. Supporting characters die especially if they are important elements of what makes the character become a hero just like Superman's parents dying in the explosion of Krypton and Batman's parents being killed by a mugger.

Marvel's Captain Marvel is a relatively minor superhero so he remains dead. About Marvel making up a story that the character really didn't die, i don't see that difference between that and the way that Green Arrow and Jason Todd were resurrected from the dead. Both of those approaches are lame.

Lame, maybe... but apparently effective, as what DC's done with GL's 'resurrection' and Superman's return from the land of the dead. Captain Marvel wasn't a minor character during those times, mind you. He was up there with Capt. A, Spidey and other Silver Age heroes during his time. That's why Alex Ross made him the central character in his bleak future of the Marvel Universe. His decendants... now they're the ones who are minor. Regarding Green Arrow , though: I still say that's the lamest resurrection story ever. Especially since he's also just a minor hero.

'In the story, the soul of Oliver Queen had been contacted by Parallax, who wanted to bring Ollie back to life because he regretted not being there to save him. Queen refused, preferring the peace of Heaven, but allowed Parallax to resurrect his body.'

-taken from his entry in Wikipedia.

Ok, I'll admit Elektra's resurrection is similar to this one. So they both suck. But double penalty goes to DC for copying something that was gad-awful in the first place.

Let's face it: one can't really say one is credible over the other by the number of character they've revived. Character ressurection storyline are sucky any way you look at it. And that goes for both comicbook universes.

What I can say is this, though: Compared to DC's Infinite Crisis, Marvel's Civil War is starting to be a much better-written epic with longer lasting and significant consequences. After going through all the parts in Infinite Crisis (including all tie-ins and Preludes and Countdowns), I was severely disappointed with the ending in the last chapter of the series. It's as though nothing really significant happened. And as predicted, since it's another universe reboot, they set off to revive some characters. Again.

Let's face it: one can't really say one is credible over the other by the number of character they've revived. Character ressurection storyline are sucky any way you look at it. And that goes for both comicbook universes.

What I can say is this, though: Compared to DC's Infinite Crisis, Marvel's Civil War is starting to be a much better-written epic with longer lasting and significant consequences. After going through all the parts in Infinite Crisis (including all tie-ins and Preludes and Countdowns), I was severely disappointed with the ending in the last chapter of the series. It's as though nothing really significant happened. And as predicted, since it's another universe reboot, they set off to revive some characters. Again.

Of the thousands of resurrections that have happened in comics, only one character resurrection earns my respect--the Punisher. After killing Frank Castle and then reviving him as some sort of avenging angel (with magic guns! oh the horror!), Marvel realized the stupidity of their actions and just decided to reboot the entire series. In effect, they just said that the last few years (where he died and became an avenging angel) never happened. They didn't even really bother with continuity! They just wanted to get back to original version of the character without any stupid explanations.

I agree with you that Infinite Crisis was really nothing special. I can't decide which actualy disappointed me more...Infinite Crisis or Identity Crisis...both super hyped comics series that weren't that important at all. At least Marvel in recent years knows how to make good stories (no doubt thanks to the great writers they've taken away from DC / Vertigo)

civil wars i think is just a precursor to a watchmen type storyline .. where heroes that work for the govt will be legal whereas those who dont will be considered vigilantes......imo Watchmen is the best graphic novel ever

This type of storyline has already be done by Warren Ellis in Stormwatch specifically, the Change or Die collection. If you want a evil Fantastic Four, you can read Planetary also by Warren Ellis.

I've also read Mark Millar's previous work with Grant Morisson in Swamp Thing, Flash as well as his run on Authority. The one thing that i've noticed is that he isn't really a very creative and original writer but is clearly influenced by who is working with at the time. Hence, his Marvel work is very much influenced by Warren Ellis. Even, the last arc of Ultimates 2 is derivative of his last storyline in Authority which he did with Art Adams.

Of the thousands of resurrections that have happened in comics, only one character resurrection earns my respect--the Punisher. After killing Frank Castle and then reviving him as some sort of avenging angel (with magic guns! oh the horror!), Marvel realized the stupidity of their actions and just decided to reboot the entire series. In effect, they just said that the last few years (where he died and became an avenging angel) never happened. They didn't even really bother with continuity! They just wanted to get back to original version of the character without any stupid explanations.

I agree with you that Infinite Crisis was really nothing special. I can't decide which actualy disappointed me more...Infinite Crisis or Identity Crisis...both super hyped comics series that weren't that important at all. At least Marvel in recent years knows how to make good stories (no doubt thanks to the great writers they've taken away from DC / Vertigo)

Punisher has been great ever since Garth Ennis took over. He has applied some of the concepts that was explored in his previous work like Hellblazer, Preacher (both with Steve Dillon who was also the artist on Garth's 1st run with Punisher) & Hitman. His miniseries on Ghost Rider also reminds me of his work in Demon.

Infinite Crisis has moments that are good but it is not great. Identity Crisis is notable for pushing the envelope of what topics can be explored in comic books. The best thing that one can say about the Identity Crisis is that it made nobody remember the Identity Disc miniseries that Marvel put out at the same time.

Edited by lurker252

Marvel has its own alternate universe so reboots are not just confined to DC. However, the problem with maintaining two different universes at the same time is that it makes it difficult for people on the mainstream to follow what's going on. For example, for all the acclaim that the Ultimates Vol.1 & 2 got, it would have been more popular if the events occured in Avengers versus their counterparts in the Ultimate universe.

Anyway, it is not really worth arguing which the DC or Marvel universe is better because it is the execution by the writers and artists in crafting stories set in either universe that determines if the comic book is worth reading or not. I collect Punisher, Ultimates, Ultimate Fantastic Four, Superman, Batman not because they are set in the best universe but because they are well written and adequately rendered comic books.

l think what will ultimately happen in the marvel universe is that vigilante heroes will head out of the US, possibly heading to Canada.

There are rumors floating around that there will be a new Alpha Flight series and former US vigilante heroes might be the new members.

One thing I hate about DC's reboot is that it makes for a very confusing timeline. All those history you knew about Superman's origin from 10 years ago is pretty much useless now...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
astig si flash tlga, naiisip ko minsan, bat hindi nagliliyab boots nya e ang blisblis nya, di ba? tska bakit hindi siya nababanga, di ba? hehehe..

yep!! astig talaga si flash!!!! among the heroes (besides superman) he's one of my favorites!!! regarding the boots, di ko matandaan masyado, but i think its a specially made boots to withstand friction, di ko lang matandaan kung anong klase. it was mentioned before on earlier comics e...

sa bangga naman, nakow sakit nun. heheheh, me mga instances naman na nababangga sya e, most of the time, tulog sya (sakit nun noh)! plus he can vibrate if that ever happens. instinct na kasi sa kanila un e.

also, to point this out lang, sensya na po d nagmamarunong, favorite ko lang po kasi si flash.... the new flash is now bart allen (impulse/kid flash) and he basically is the only one mainlining the speed force now... so far wally west is still missing, presumed dead/ or gone to the speedforce.

the only flash left was jay garrick, but since the guy is old... heheheh madali nang mapagod at di na ganun kabilis. heheheh

peace lang po....

i'm sure not everyone here knows this. there was FEMALE robin. her name was carrie kelly. she played a big part in aiding the batman (even saved his ass several times) in "the dark knight returns" by frank miller back in the eighties.

another girl wonder appeared just recently, stephanie brown was the 3rd robin's girlfriend.

thats the JLU episode in Season 2 i guess...Wally was tapping the power of the Speed Force...where Barry Allen is part of now

i agree....flash is one cool character....also one of the strongest......sa cartoon one of my favorite episode was when he took down brainiac(mergered with luthor) by running around the world several times to attain superspeed :cool: very cool episode :thumbsupsmiley:

Regarding Flash's boots not catching fire, DC explains it this way.

As part of his power, the Flash is protected by a kind of force field or "aura" when he moves at super-speed.

He doesn't bump into things because when moving at super-speed, he senses the world at a faster rate to compensate. He is able to sense things in slow motionl; even a bullet fired moves like a turtle for him.

:D add to that his super fast metabolism....in a TV show (Barry Allen series the Flash), he chomped around 300 whole pizzas :D

Regarding Flash's boots not catching fire, DC explains it this way.

As part of his power, the Flash is protected by a kind of force field or "aura" when he moves at super-speed.

He doesn't bump into things because when moving at super-speed, he senses the world at a faster rate to compensate. He is able to sense things in slow motionl; even a bullet fired moves like a turtle for him.

i just saw this one on the net recently....

If the continued strong sales of Robert Kirkman’s The Walking Dead and the breakout success of Kirkman’s Marvel Zombies limited series are any indications, comic book fans love the flesh-eating undead. So while no one should be surprised there will be a 2007 follow-up to the bestselling Marvel limited series, exactly who the zombified Marvel icons will be trying to devour this time around is both surprising yet perfectly logical at the same time…

His name is Ashley J. Williams…

Marvel Zombies Vs. The Army of Darkness is a five-issue crossover limited series (packaged by Dynamite, solicited by Marvel), co-published by Dynamite Entertainment/Marvel Comics and Marvel’s first multi-part inter-company crossover since 2003’s JLA/Avengers. Debuting in March, the smash-up of the Marvel Universe and the cult horror film franchise will be written by John Layman, with art by Fabiano Neves and June Chung, and covers by Marvel Zombies cover artist Arthur Suydam. Oh, and serving as a creative consultant on the project is the aforementioned foremost authority on the comic book undead – particularly Marvel’s - Robert Kirkman.

Spinning directly out of the closing pages of Dynamite’s December release Army of Darkness #13 (which will go on hiatus for the length of this in-continuity crossover), Marvel Zombies Vs. The Army of Darkness takes place before the Ultimate Fantastic Four introducing a zombified Marvel Universe - and takes place concurrently with Kirkman’s own upcoming prequel to his 2005 limited series.

“I've always been a big fan of Army of Darkness since I first bought it on VHS a long time ago and watched it every night before going to sleep during my senior year of high school,” Kirkman told Newsarama. “I think people are well aware of how much I love zombies... a love that also extends to the ‘Marvel’ variety. This is a very good story that John Layman has concocted and I'm anxious to see it all come together.

“I'm on hand to ensure that this story weaves in seamlessly with the Marvel Zombie's prequel one-shot I've written [May's 48-page Marvel Zombies: Dead Days, penciled by Sean Phillips, covers by Suydam], ensuring that this will be a cool read alongside that. I've advised John on what characters he could use, ones he couldn't, and where everyone is at this point in the time line. John has taken that ball and run with it …I expect it to be a slam-dunk.”

So with Kirkman’s hand helping guide the way, what does writer John Layman have planned..? A Marvel Universe-type story with the wildest of wild cards thrown in? Or something in the tone of the always over-the-top AoD with Marvel toys to chainsaw through?

“I have every intention of it being both,” said Layman.

“It is absolutely a Marvel Zombies story, and it is absolutely an Army of Darkness story. Fortunately, I think there is a lot of overlap, because they both contain a generous (even excessive) heaping of humor with horror, comedy with the grotesque. This is a story of a guy who is used to fighting the undead, who is used to being a hero, flung into a strange universe full of heroes …heroes who are not only all crazed flesh-eating zombies, but ones with hundreds of different crazy super-powers.

“How's a guy with a chainsaw, a shotgun, and a smart mouth supposed to survive that?”

That said, Layman told us it’s also a typical AoD story in that it shows Ash facing “impossible odds, and up against horrific adversaries”…

“But for Marvel Zombies fans, it's another look into the hilariously twisted world of man-eating zombie superheroes,” Layman explained, “shown from almost a Marvels-style man-on-the-street perspective as the infection spreads out of control. Only, in this case, the man-on-the-street happens to be Ashley J. Williams, vanquisher of the Necromonmicon's Army of Darkness, who defeated evil in several different millennia in several different realities. Now he's in the Marvel U. It's him and his chainsaw vs. hundred of zombie superheroes...

And Ash doesn't plan on taking any $#!+!”

post-72891-1162573979.jpg

• 3 weeks later...