Boston Celtics

• 2 weeks later...

i like how you still defend your team after a loss. a "hiccup" huh? ok... if that's how you want to intrepret it. haha. The way i look at it, teams don't play to lose, they play to win no matter who they play. There's no "im bored" or "im not excited enough" excuses they use to justify a loss. After all, they were leading at the half, Then Lebron just turned it up in the 2nd half and well.. that's what happened.

Here watch this nice little clip of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwrQfz4Qa9s

i just don't think the Celtics were bored or anything like you said, they were leading at one point before Lebron turned it on. I didn't switch sides, i never liked Lebron ever since he proclaimed they would win 8 championships when he signed with Miami. and the way he left rubbed me the wrong way. i was just saying that even if i don't like Lebron i wouldn't bashed him because he is a great player. I hate to admit it but he is better than Melo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Celtics won't be able to get Ben Simmons unless he drops to 3rd on the draft. The draft picks they picked up from Minnesota is protected from 1-12 meaning that if the Timberwolves get any picks from 1-12 then they keep that pick. The only pick they will get from the Timberwolves won't be until the 2nd round. The only 1st round pick that they can use will be from the Brooklyn Nets because there is no protection from the picks. The highest they might be able to get would be 3rd. Unless Brooklyn decides to lose all their remaining games but its still not a 100% that they will get the 1st pick.

If the Cs somehow manage to get Howard in a trade for Lee & Jerebko/and or Zeller and they get lucky in the draft and get Ben Simmons, I smell a dynasty cooking. Ben Simmons is more of like a taller and more athletic Magic Johnson. I hope, if the Cs get lucky, Brad could also make him a Larry Bird. We need someone clutch.

would want to ask you this question sir Mason: would you really want the Cs pulling off a trade for D12 knowing his history of being a total headcase?

NBA TRADE RUMORS: BOSTON CELTICS BUYING OUT DAVID LEE IF NO OFFER FOUND

Feb. 6 2016

post-481684-0-99319100-1454951214_thumb.jpg

NBA trade rumors state that Boston Celtics team president Danny Ainge was looking around the league to see if there were any interest in David Lee. The veteran forward has seen his minutes and role decline because the Celtics want to build around their younger front court players, which does not sit well with Lee. Now, reports are surfacing that Ainge could be buying out Lee’s final year of his contract if no suitable trade is thrown his way, according to ESPN.

If the buyout happens soon, then David Lee should have plenty of suitors from contending NBA teams that want to load the roster at the last minute before the playoffs roll around. Since his contract is being bought out, Lee will still be receiving a substantial amount of money from the Celtics, which means that he can sign with another team for the minimum contract allowed for a veteran of his stature.

The New Orleans Pelicans were recently linked to a rumored trade with the Detroit Pistons because Stan Van Gundy wanted to be reunited with Ryan Anderson. The sweet shooting six-foot, 10-inch forward seems like a natural fit alongside All-Star center Andre Drummond, who prefers to operate in the post. If that move happens, then David Lee can replace Anderson and help Anthony Davis put up points in the paint.

Dirk Nowitzki doesn’t have a whole lot of time left in the NBA, so Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has committed to providing as much help as he can so that his star forward can win a second championship before retiring. Cuban lucked out when Zaza Pachulia saved their center position after the DeAndre Jordan fiasco. Adding David Lee, especially for cheap, would help to take some of the offensive burden off of Nowitzki.

The Miami Heat know that they are going to have a hard time beating the Cleveland Cavaliers in a seven game NBA Playoffs series, so they need as much help as they can get. Chris Bosh is one of the best two-way players in the NBA, while Hassan Whiteside provides the excitement and highlight reels. Depth behind them is a bit bare, as Udonis Haslem is averaging less than 10 minutes a game nowadays, so David Lee could be of some assistance there.

Carmelo Anthony has matured as a player, and he’s trying his best to be the team leader. However, that’s not a natural thing for him to do, so it would not be a bad thing for New York Knicks president Phil Jackson to bring in another veteran that can help guide the young team. David Lee is quite the leader, and he showed a tremendous amount of patience and professionalism when he was removed from the rotation by eventual NBA Champions Golden State Warriors.

One of the first things that Jerry Colangelo did when he took over the Philadelphia 76ers was make the decision that the team needed more leadership in the locker room. That’s why he was quick to sign Elton Brand. Colangelo and head coach Brett Brown want to make sure that there are leaders for younger players such as Jahlil Okafor, Nerlens Noel, and Joel Embiid, so David Lee could find himself joining Brand in that role.

Los Angeles Lakers head coach Byron Scott has butted head on more than a few occasions with Julius Randle this year. He knows that his young power forward isn’t completely listening to him, so a veteran player might be useful to have around. David Lee can not only teach Randle the ways of the NBA, but he can also fill in at center on nights where Roy Hibbert is simply not being effective.

That's a little bit of a stretch to compare or even mention Brad Stevens and Doc Rivers in the same conversation. Why don't you let Brad Stevens win a playoff series before you actually start putting him on a pedestal let alone compare him to the more successful coaches of the league. Besides, how are you so sure that Brad Stevens would have led the Celtics to a 3 peat if he was the coach from 2007-2012? Let's pump the brakes on that one, that's a what if scenario. Besides he would need the players' attention and respect in order for the team to be a cohesive unit. and i believe Doc earned that respect when he coached KG and those boys to the championship. His job was to coach the team that Danny Ainge constructed. It wasn't his control on which players they got since it was management who signed them.

Maybe you forget that Doc had some success in getting a Magic team that had no business making the playoffs to a playoff berth, even if he had Grant Hill who hardly played during those times he was with the Magic because he was often injured and no one actually predicted that Mcgrady would be the kind of player that turned superstar for a short time when he signed with the Magic being that this was just his 3rd year in. Regardless of those low expectations, Doc got that team with the kind of talent they were working with to perform as well as they could.

If Brad Stevens was the coach of that team, coming in from college. it might not have worked out if he had guys like KG, Ray and Paul not giving him the respect and attention. NBA players especially veteran superstars have a lot of ego and clout. Doc was the perfect coach for that team since he was a former NBA player and he had coaching experience for quite a while before signing with Boston. He had the players' respect and he was able to manage the personalities on the team. I doubt Brad Stevens would have been able to do that seeing that he just came from the college ranks to coach, he would have needed to prove something to the players to earn their respect. Doc didn't need to do that. Plus think of the tremendous pressure and expectation that was going to be placed on Stevens if he was the 1st year coach of KG, Paul and Ray because they were expected to go straight to the finals with that talent. It would have overwhelmed him.

But I agree that Brad Stevens was brought in to coach and develop a young team that's probably why he is doing well because he has the players attention being that its a young core of players. No one expected them to do well considering this is a rebuilding team, that's why there's not that much pressure on them or any expectation to win outright. If it was a superstar veteran laden team, he wouldn't be as succesful. So i wouldn't go and compare Doc to Brad. Brad has a long way to go before he can be mentioned with the likes of the more successful coaches

Rivers had Mcgrady, a certified superstar and scoring champion. Doc just could not bring out the best in his players. If he trusted his bench enough in the ECF in 2012 against the Heat and Lebitch, the Celtics would have won that series. Game 7 was tied after three quarters. Doc chose play his starters for long minutes. Brad would have rested his starters and trusted his bench.

You're basing Mcgrady off what you have seen throughout his career. He had just signed with Orlando then and no one was expecting that he would turn out to be the player who would breakout and become a legit superstar. THe one they expected to do it was Grant Hill but he was injured and didn't even get to play that much. But regardless of the low expectations he was able to get that team to the playoffs.

Those scenarios you mentioned are your own opinions of what could or what would have happened. again im not going to say anything about that because its a what if. If you say stevens would have rested his starters and played his bench. what's to say that the game would have gotten away from them further? there's so many outcomes to those things that you say that can and might happen that's why i don't really see the need to make what if scenarios

Edited by hahnz

Let's use common sense. If Brad could do wonders with youngsters, what more with veterans? Where did you base your speculation? On ego and clout? PP, KG and RA are not Lebitch so don't compare these three to a spoiled diva.

Its not a speculation. If you look at it this way. It won't work, because the vets will think about what can he do? Just because he had some success in college doesn't equate to NBA success. Rick Pitino learned that the hard way. John Calipari, need i go on? Plus being a rooking coach on a veteran superstar team. The veteran superstars won't really look at the college success. They would look at it from a standpoint of what can you do at this level. This ain't college. THis the NBA. It might have ended up with him fired because there would be tremendous pressure and expectation on him to win and he would have had a difficult time getting the personalities together. Veteran players like KG and Paul at that stage of their careers are thinking of winning now and not rebuilding. THat's why Doc was brought in to manage the egos. Brad wouldn't have that kind of control.

If you think that KG, Paul and Ray don't have any egos then you must be out of your mind just because they don't show it in the media doesn't mean they don't have it.

You might be surprised that Tim Duncan has an ego and he does by the way. When Tony Parker came in during that season. Duncan was initially skeptical about Parker and what he could do. Mind you Parker was a success in europe but Timmy didn't look at it that way, in his mind Parker needed to prove to him that he could play and he did.

Same situation here with Stevens, the players, especially the veteran superstars would look at him and say, what can you do? coaching is not just about x's and o's its also about connecting with the players on a personal level. Why do you think KG, Paul and Ray were raving about Doc then. Because he had a personal connection to them not just as a coach but as a people too.

How sure are you that no one was expecting he would turn out to be the player that he would be? Why did the Magic sign him to a $67.5MM contract if they didn't think he deserved it?

Just like the scenarios you mentioned are your own opinions. Mine has basis. Yours is based on what? Your imagination again?

Yes there was potential there but if you were basing it on his stats with the Raptors they would'nt even have expected him to go become that good. That contracts not even a max deal, Hill got 93M which was a max contract way higher than what T-Mac got during their time in Orlando. When he broke out and became scoring champ. it wasn't until he got traded to the Rockets where he got really paid.

Let me ask you this oh wise and all knowing know it all about basketball, what's your basis if Stevens played the bench instead of the starters would that have equated in a win against the Heat in a game 7? Because that's what you're saying, that if the starters had rested more they would have won. How are you sure that if the starters were resting would the bench have held a lead or could have hung with the Heat in the 4th quarter? You say my basis for saying it is my imagination. Im basing it on one. the bench of the celtics were outscored 2 points to 19. Thats why i said that it might have been possible that Doc didn't rely on his bench since they weren't contributing the whole game. I don't know why you insult my intelligence by saying i base stuff on imagination.

you think you're such a know it all.

If they had egos, they wouldn't be playing together and win a championship. Why would Garnett and Allen want to be here when they were the number one guys in Sota and Seattle?

Seriously, this is easy to answer. one they're getting older. Two. They had already garnered enough individual accolades and a championship was the only thing missing on their resume. 3. Their teams were on a rebuilding mode and they wouldn't have a chance to win there. THey had to swallow their pride by joining up with Paul because they wanted to win and that's why they had to sacrifice their game so they could gel with Paul. THey did say before that it was Paul's team.

THe same with Karl Malone and Payton when they joined up with the Lakers.

Duncan sacrificed his ego to win. Besides, Pop was there to balance his ego and all other egos on the Spurs.

That's what im talking about the ego. There was a coach the players trusted in. Do you think they would have trusted a rookie coach that they've met for the first time and havent done anything yet on a professional level?

Is Rick Pitino Brad Stevens? These guys couldn't be more different. Rick Pitino had absolute control, was a tyrant of a coach and traded away draft choices who turned out to be stars for other teams: see Joe Johnson and Chauncey Billups.

Brad Stevens is a patient coach who likes developing his players and trusts the process.

It's not speculation. Really? So what are you basing your premise on? Your imagination?

Im just citing an example that college success doesn't equate to NBA success all the time. Put yourself in Kevin Garnett's shoes. who would you trust more. Someone that you've known in the league a long time, a well respected guy on and off the court among coaches and players around the league for years, a proven coach who has experience in the playoffs as a player and coach. or some guy who you just met and heard that he had some success in the college level and is coaching for the first time on an NBA level. answer me this question oh wise and knowing all NBA guy :rolleyes:

You obviously don't watch Celtic games to know that Stevens trusts his bench and likes developing young players. Yes, I am holding on to the belief that the Cs would have had a threepeat with Brad and won against the Heat in 2012 because Brad trusts his bench and gives his players confidence.

not at all i find sarcasm to be amusing. ok so its a belief then, what do i call that? faith, so that's your basis? we're talking about the 2012 ecf here. you said that brad stevens would still play the bench more minutes even if they only contributed 2 points the whole game and have been pathetic. and you and i quote "holding on to the belief" that they would have still won that game. and they say i base my stuff on my imagination

Edited by FleurDeLune

Of course, before Garnett would be traded, he would talk to the coach to see if their philosophies match. A franchise player who is slowly moving past his prime and who wanted a championship would not just go to a team where he knows that he wouldn't fit.

just answer the question as i asked it. who would you trust more. A. Someone that you've known in the league a long time, a well respected guy on and off the court among coaches and players around the league for years, a proven coach who has experience in the playoffs as a player and coach. or B.some guy who you just met and heard that he had some success in the college level and is coaching for the first time on an NBA level.?

you posted a long winded explanation and all i wanted was a simple answer. A or B? you don't need to elaborate because the question is simple so no need to explain yourself. A or B? which is it?

Edited by hahnz