Boston Celtics

How many years ago was that? A player getting $67.5MM during that time was already lucrative.

Nope it wasn't if you divide that by 6 years which is the length of the contract he would he getting 10M per year which is something between what Damon Stoudemire and Arvydas Sabonis were making during that time. Penny Hardaway and Allen Iverson were making more. T-Mac got paid 16M and more with a max contract when he got to Houston that's where he got paid.

Is this on the premise that the Celtics are still choosing coaches? If that's the case, I'd choose Brad Stevens but if it's based on the premise of who I trust more, I'd still go with Brad Stevens.

Well its good that you're not Danny Ainge then and not making those decisions.

:rolleyes: SMH. keep on believing that. :rolleyes: basis? you can't even answer a simple question. Would the celtics have won if they played their bench more in the 2012 ecf as opposed to playing the starters more minutes? belief? that's as good as saying i have an interactive imagination. there's no basis on faith. there's no stats to back it up.

Edited by FleurDeLune

So $10MM a year 15 years ago is not a lucrative contract.

At least mine has basis. Yours is based on your imagination.

You're missing the point. I'm saying the way they paid him is what they expected of him that he wouldn't be as explosive as they thought he would be. He exceeded those expectations and it helped Doc a lot because they were predicted to be at the bottom after hearing the news that they won't have Grant Hill for the season. People thought they were lottery bound and they found ways to win.

Faith is not a basis, its like a die hard fan who won't listen to stats because his heart is too invested on the team. That's what you based it on? belief? faith? tsk tsk tsk. SMH

Edited by FleurDeLune

My point is $10MM a season was lucrative 15 years ago. Why? How much is Mcgrady supposed to be worth?

From 65M for six years he got signed to a whopping 86M for 6 years in Houston with some bonuses. That's max player money. There are only a handful of players who get paid that much and T-Mac is one of them. The money he was getting in Orlando pales in comparison. Guys like Stoudamire and Sabonis didn't get paid that much. He played really well in Orlando and exceeded more than the expectations which catapulted him to be compared to guys like Kobe. Before he joined Orlando he was a budding star but never did they expect him to play at a more elite level than what he was showing in Toronto. Which goes back to my point that Doc had to work with whatever he had to keep the team competitive given their talent level on the roster and got them to a playoff seed

Faith? Who said anything about faith? You can't even provide any basis except speculation that KG, PP and RA would trust Rivers more than they would trust Stevens.

I already gave the reasons why the Big Three would trust Brad:

1. What he did for Butler which had a starless team.

2. Stevens preaches selfless basketball which was concept that the Big Three embraced.

The way I see it, you refuse to accept what I am saying. Most probably because you can't accept that I am correct because you're getting repeatedly pwned in our arguments. :lol:

Belief is faith. Because you don't have any other basis to go on than what your saying and it is because:

1. What he did for Butler which had a starless team.

2. Stevens preaches selfless basketball which was concept that the Big Three embraced.

Again these are what if's that's why i don't get into these type of arguments because these didn't happen. They could or might have happened but we can never know. Do you have a time machine or crystal ball that said if Brad Stevens were coaching the Celtics when they had KG, Ray and Paul they would have won? that's what you're going with? THis is the last time i will debate you on this Stevens topic. I will mark this down for now. If Brad stevens is able to win a championship with the Celtics then i will say that he is a great coach.

But for now, I won't because he hasn't won anything. The end result is how your judged how good you really are. What's the point of winning regular season games if you don't get to win a playoff series.

He had Rondo for a year and they missed the playoffs.

So tell me, $67.5MM is not lucrative? Yes, I appreciate what Doc did for the Cs but he pales in comparison to Brad Stevens. At least, Rivers needs Hall of Famers to win. Brad doesn't even have Hall of Famers, yet, he's winning. If Doc were really better than Brad, why wouldn't he coach a team without Garnett and Pierce?

They pay the player based off potential and it was a nice contract but it wasn't max player contract. They signed him because they could see a potential in him to be great but the Magic held back a bit because you can never tell if the player will be really good. No one predicted that T-mac would be that good. If they paid him Grant Hill's salary which was higher at the time then they would have taken a big risk, because what if he didn't pan out. Good thing he did, the Grant Hill contract hurt them more because he didn't get to play the whole years he was there because of injury. I say the 65 is a nice contract but T-mac was going for more and he got it in Houston.

Before Garnett and Ray joined he had Pierce. Ainge is the one putting the players on the roster. It wasn't any control of his which players he got. He was working with a not so talented team in the Magic and Celtics before the big 3 happened.

The Brad Stevens argument is too early to start proclaiming him as a great coach. If he wins a ship with the Celtics then he might get that nod. If not, im not gonna go and just start riding the hype train because they are winning games right now.

You sound hopeful and that's what you should be doing as a fan but don't go overboard and start proclaiming that he is a great coach because he hasn't won anything yet. Let him win one first and then make your argument that he is great. For now, enjoy what the Celtics are doing.

It's like saying we are winning "not one, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5" championships when he hasn't even won one yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to regular programming.

In the event of messing up this thread again by any poster, this will be deleted/closed permanently.

Please take heed the rules.

13. General Behavior

Having fun is good. We like fun. Please keep it positive and polite. We may take action against posts and/or topics that could cause unrest in the community beyond a civil and polite disagreement.

You may not make personal attacks on other users or staff members either in public forums or private messages.

At all times please respect the other members. Violation of this rule will merit a suspension of posting privileges.

We reserve the right to ban any member who violates our guidelines or disrupts our community.

There will be no racial, ethnic, gender based insults or any other personal discriminations.

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And upset the Ws they did. Like i said and I will say it again, it is only the Cs who can match the "small ball" of the Ws. The Cs did this season what Lechoke and his posse failed to do and that is beat the Ws. The Cs are the only team this season to beat the Ws at the O. The Cs would have beaten the Ws two times this season but the breaks did not go their way in the TD Garden. If the Cs get Simmons, who can be motivated by one of the best coaches in the NBA, Brad Stevens, and somehow pry JB away from the Bulls, they will be challenging the Ws in the Finals in two years. Actually, I think the addition of Simmons will be enough to catapult the Cs to the Finals.

you can now root for the HAWKS to beat Le-Choke and the Cavs in the Conference Semi-Finals...

I won't be surprised anymore... because a Lebron-hater like you will root for any team just to prove that Le-Choke is as bad as you in playing basketball...

And as for your Celtics team... It was a good run considering the current line-up... and I do believe the team will get better next season...

you can now root for the HAWKS to beat Le-Choke and the Cavs in the Conference Semi-Finals...

I won't be surprised anymore... because a Lebron-hater like you will root for any team just to prove that Le-Choke is as bad as you in playing basketball...

And as for your Celtics team... It was a good run considering the current line-up... and I do believe the team will get better next season...

Bro, i think you did Lebron a disservice by comparing him to a guy who in my opinion hasn't even played any form of organized basketball let alone a pickup game. Considering his age i don't even think he plays for any senior league team. Its like comparing a professional ball player to some chump from the street. Not comparable at all.

Of course, as a fan he can express his opinion on what he sees on TV. But in my mind i don't think he is that familiar with terms like screen-roll, backdoor, hedging, sagging or any basketball plays. If anything when it comes to any opinion of his regarding basketball should be taken not just with a grain of salt but with a huge sack of salt.

• 2 months later...
Al Horford, Celtics agree on deal; agent says 4 years, $113 million

post-481684-0-79291300-1467630613_thumb.jpg

Free-agent big man Al Horford has agreed to terms with the Boston Celtics on a four-year max deal worth $113 million, his agent, Jason Glushon, told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.

Horford revealed he was heading to Boston earlier Saturday on his Twitter account.

post-481684-0-18294400-1467630625_thumb.jpg

The deal, with includes a player option after the third year and was first reported by The Vertical, came as the team was meeting with prized free agent Kevin Durant on Saturday.

As a nine-year veteran, Horford was eligible for 30 percent of the new $94.1 million salary cap and will earn roughly $28.2 million in the first year of the deal.

League sources told ESPN's Brian Windhorst that the Atlanta Hawks' final offer was five years and $136 million, which was less than a max deal. The sources added that, with Horford's departure, the Hawks will halt trade talks regarding Paul Millsap.

The Celtics had room for two max-contract free agents this summer, and they met with Durant on Saturday night. Adding Horford to a 48-win team makes Boston a contender in the Eastern Conference and might give them a shot at attracting Durant.

Horford, an unrestricted free agent, has played his entire nine-year career in Atlanta, which drafted him third overall in 2007. The four-time All-Star averaged 15.2 points, 7.3 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game last season.

After the Hawks were swept by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the playoffs for the second straight year, Horford stressed just how much he had enjoyed playing in Atlanta and that the team still can win with some improvements to its current core.

"There are a lot of things that we need to address," Horford said of talking to his family and advisers. "But the biggest thing for me is I feel good here. I have a great relationship with Coach [Mike Budenholzer]. That is important to me. And my teammates."

"Atlanta is a city that welcomed me from the first day," he added. "I'm very grateful for people that have always been real positive toward me and my family. I feel good. I feel like the way the team is going, I feel like we can win here."

Horford was the topic of trade rumors at the deadline, with the Celtics reportedly among the interested teams.

The 6-foot-10 center, who turned 30 in June, was expected to draw interest on the free-agent market for his ability to shoot from the perimeter.

Last season, Horford shot a career-high 256 3-pointers after taking a total of 65 3s in his previous eight seasons.

"I probably got a little away from the post this year trying to expand my game and do different things," Horford said. "That is a point of emphasis, that I will try to be better in the post and be able to put the ball down a little more on the floor. Being able to drive a little more. Even though I had some strides in that area this year, I think I can be even better at that."

• 4 weeks later...

post-481684-0-95604500-1469851779_thumb.jpg

Retiring with a certain team is important to NBA players. According to ESPN, Paul Pierce will be retiring with the Boston Celtics. There are already plans in place to ensure that happens whenever the six-foot-seven small forward decides that he is ready to walk away from the National Basketball Association.

As of right now, Paul Pierce has not made a decision on his professional basketball future. There is a part of him that feels that it might be time to call it quits. However, it is really hard for these guys to walk away from the NBA because it was a life-long dream.

Should Paul Pierce feel that he can no longer contribute to an NBA team, Los Angeles Clippers president Doc Rivers already has ways to get him back with the Boston Celtics. Rivers did not reveal details, but it should be noted that Pierce is still under contract with the Clippers for another two seasons.

post-481684-0-78506400-1469851801_thumb.jpg

post-481684-0-73202800-1469851815_thumb.jpg

To his credit, Doc Rivers is not pressuring Paul Pierce for a decision. Usually, NBA teams want to be notified as soon as possible so that they can plan ahead of time. However, Rivers and Pierce share a mutual respect, so there is no pressure.

Of course, it makes it easier for Doc Rivers to be patient with the decision because Paul Pierce is no longer the dominant player that he used to be. The Los Angeles Clippers do not need to go out of their way to find a replacement in case he retires.

If Paul Pierce is no longer around, the Los Angeles Clippers have a couple of options in-house as replacements. Wesley Johnson and Luc Mbah a Moute are veterans who are both capable of starting at small forward. The Clippers also drafted Brice Johnson with the 25th overall selection in the NBA Draft earlier this year.

In the NBA, Paul Pierce has played with four separate teams. He’s been with the Boston Celtics, Washington Wizards, Brooklyn Nets, and Los Angeles Clippers. Stints with the Nets, Clippers, and Wizards were short. Since he played 15 years with the Celtics, it makes all the sense in the world that Pierce would want to retire with them.

Longevity isn’t the only thing that makes Paul Pierce important to the Boston Celtics. He brought another NBA Championship to the storied franchise. Pierce was also the Finals MVP that year. When it comes to scoring, only the legendary John Havlicek has more points for the Celtics.

If Paul Pierce stays in the NBA, it will be because he wants a legitimate chance at winning a second championship. If he does not feel that the Los Angeles Clippers can get past the Golden State Warriors and San Antonio Spurs, then he will be more inclined to retire.

The Golden State Warriors raised the stakes a bit when they surprised the NBA by stealing Kevin Durant away from the Oklahoma City Thunder. That shifted the balance of powers even more so towards the Warriors than before. They were already the favorites in the Western Conference before adding Durant.

Closely trailing behind the Golden State Warriors are the San Antonio Spurs. Although they lost the legendary Tim Duncan to retirement, they still remain one of the deepest teams in the NBA by acquiring the services of Pau Gasol and David West. The two veteran big men should help keep the front court strong.

Paul Pierce has a very big decision to make about his NBA career, but he needs not worry whatsoever about which team uniform that he will be wearing when he does decide to walk away.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Cs have the personnel to be the number one defensive team in the league led by NBA All-Defense First Teamer Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, Terry Rozier, Al Horford, Jordan Mickey and Amir Johnson. Al Horford is a certified shot-blocker that the Cs have coveted for a long time. He will anchor and elite defense that will start from the back court. Anyone who goes in the lane will have to contend with Horford. Like I said, the Cs have three guys they can throw at Lebron James defensively. No, they will not stop James but they will make it bloody difficult for him to get his points.

In terms of offense, the this can be generated from Thomas, Brown, Horford, Bradley, Crowder, Horford and, probably, Rozier. I really believe this Cs team is good enough to challenge James and his Cavs in the ECF. The go-to-guys at crunch time are Thomas, Horford and, hopefully, Brown whose ceiling is Kobe Bryant, in my opinion.

Offense wins games but defense wins championships. In terms of defense, I can say this Celtic team is way up there in the NBA stratosphere in terms of defense. I won't be surprised if they become the number one defensive team in the league this season.

Not Milwaukee Bucks?

The projected first 5 has an averaged of 6' to 7' wingspan.

Edited by calvinzero

Not Milwaukee Bucks?

The projected first 5 has an averaged of 6' to 7' wingspan.

Its how the team plays good defense and not the individual or average wingspans ang basehan sa good team defense. It may be a factor but mas mahalaga they play smart defense.