When Is The Best Time To Work Out?

Ako ren I work the night shift. I used to go to the gym after work, so morning na yun. Okay naman sya. Helps make me sleep better, I think. Pero sometimes nakakatamad ren. But I eventually stopped going to the gym because instead of the weight gain program that I signed up for, I am losing way too much weight! Boooo! :thumbsdownsmiley:

• 1 month later...

Wala naman talgang specific na best "time" para magwork-out, although some would say na late afternoon yung pinaka best time since medyo warmed up na yung muscles mo the whole day, pero IMO the best time to work out is when you're not physically drained or mentally stressed out, on my part, I see to it na before I go to the gym, I had enough sleep, hindi ako gutom at relax din yung utak ko at walang masyadong iniisip para makapag concentrate din sa pagbubuhat. Ang normal routine ko before hitting the weights is as follows:

1. Take a nap for at least 2 hours

2. Take a shower upon waking up

3. Grab something to eat, although not too heavy (a tuna sandwich at least)

4. Proceed to the gym

Edited by Sl@MDuNk_Mitsui14
  • 2 weeks later...
To any fitness guru or trainer who can answer this:

Is it fine to work out at night at around 9 pm or is there any consequence if I work out at that time?

on two separate occasions I squatted 315 in the evening...

I also managed to bench 205 in the evening...

I've also worked out at 1am and had no consequence whatsoever...

so to answer the question, its about when you are able to function properly...

for example... some people will always say best sa umaga, but i can never function properly early morning...

however, pag hapon or gabi training, i always function normally on average

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Source: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomy...nToExercise.htm

Research on the Best Time to Exercise

While there is specific research being conducted on this topic, unfortunately the answer to the question, "What is the best time for exercise?" varies based upon the specific question you ask, your training goals, and your exercise adherence. Here are some of the latest specific research findings:

* Late Afternoon is Best for Exercise - Research shows that the optimal time to exercise is when our body temperature is at its highest, which, for most people is 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. (body temperature is at its lowest just before waking).

* Strength is Greater in the Afternoon - It was reported that strength output is 5% higher at around mid-day; anaerobic performance, such as sprinting, improves by 5% in the late afternoon.

* Endurance is Greater in the Afternoon - Aerobic capacity (endurance) is approximately 4% higher in the afternoon.

* Injuries Are Less Likely in the Afternoon - Afternoon exercise is the best if you want to avoid injuries for many reasons. We are most alert; our body temperature is the highest so our muscles are warm and flexible; and our muscle strength is at its greatest. These three factors make it less likely that we will get injured.

* Morning Exercisers Are More Consistent - Even though afternoon exercise might be optimal from a physiological standpoint, research also shows that morning exercisers are more likely to stick to it that late-day athletes. help prevent injury be a good way to prevent injury and get maximum performance, but he said that the most important thing is a consistent exercise regimen.

* Evening Exercise and Sleep - Most research supports the idea that exercise can improve sleep quality. But does exercising too late in the evening keep you up? Studies have shown improvements in sleep from both morning and afternoon exercise, so it's not yet clear if evening exercise keeps you up. One study even showed that vigorous exercise half an hour before bedtime did not affect sleep.

One thing that is agreed upon is that sleep deprivation can hinder sports performance.

The Bottom Line

The good news is that you get to decide the best time for you to exercise based upon your personal goals, schedule and lifestyle. Ideally, you will pick a time that you are able to stick with consistently and make part of your daily or weekly schedule. If you are training for competition, it's wise to modify your training to accommodate the event start time, and it's always wise to warm up before any workout.