How Can I Quit Smoking?

tried to quit more than 4 times in a span of 4 years (been smoking for mga 8 years na at that time).

anyway, finally had the opportunity to quit WHEN:

1. I was 100% decided I wanted to quit

2. I got my friend to counsel me (he was a counselor for druggies)

3. Got help... Zyban, unfortunately this is now OFF the market but this is a wonder drug in fighting nicotine addiction... maybe there is a similar drug in the market

Good luck guys and girls!

and after 3 years of no smoking!!! I sure f**king feel very good about it!!! :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

i think the best way if to reduce its usage.

if you're smoking 10 sticks a day, try a reducing it to 5 sticks a day for one week. then to a stick a day

on the second week. on the third week, one stick a week..

gradual reduction is effective and put timelines so you can measure your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

never really tried to quit smoking... pero i really should lessen my intake... masama talaga sa katawan ang pag smoke! and i feel it lessens the libido, for guys at least... feeling ko lang naman...

siguro pag may naramdaman na ako saka na lang ako quit... that will surely motivate me!!!

• 9 months later...
my hubby is sooooo addicted...he's usually very mellow but when he tries to quit

smoking and he has cravings , he's so grumpy that I run out the door

to get him some smokes and literally light it for him so he can be normal again...

I myself find it so hard to stop. Makes me wish to come back in time to stop myself from getting into the habit!!!

I started smoking at age 12. I was finally able to stop at age 32. There were about three periods in between when I stopped...then smoked again. But I haven't smoked a cigarette since 1994. Apart from drugs, smoking has to be the hardest habit to break. Quitting is pure torture, especially during the first three days. Your mouth just craves for something, so all you do is eat. If you can get past a week without a cigarette, you're about 80% through. But you'll still have dreams about it.

A bit of advice. If you really want to quit smoking, go into isolation for at least three days. Don't see any of your friends. Don't do any activity that you associate with smoking. Don't go to bars or restaurants. Just stay home. But don't even watch TV, if you've become accustomed to smoking while watching your favorite show. If you like to have coffee with your cigarette, don't take coffee. The first three days are really difficult.

It's too late now, but the best time to stop smoking is during Holy Week, especially if you have no trip planned. Why? No work (so no pressure) and no friends around (so no socializing). Luckily for me, we still didn't have cable TV in 1994, so there was no TV as well. That helped.

Edited by jt2003

Interesting - I am in my 30's and didn't smoke until a couple of years ago when I lived with a bunch of people all of whom were smokers.

Funny thing is - I don't smoke at work, now I don't smoke at home when I am there during the evenings - even if there are other smokers but as soon as I go out and hit a bar and have a couple of drinks that's it, I'll start - so I often will go 5 days without and then have a few.

I play a lot of sport and go to the gym a lot and it is starting to annoy me cause I really notice the difference in how I feel if I play or go to the gym the day after a night smoking - very strange but I guess it is the environment and the other activities that I psychologically associate with smoking i.e out at a bar having a drink with other friends that smoke that makes me light up.

just quit august last year, but not totally. i still smoke sometimes especially when i'm bored or during trade shows or business activities. other than that i don't smoke or at least just socially. i have managed to control my urges or cravings to light up.

quitting is no walk in the park, i had to out of the country just to quit :lol: :lol: :lol:

but the trick is for you to be firm with yourself. also and more importantly don't stay with people who smoke, it is easier if all your companions don't smoke at all that way you will be somewhat embarrassed to light up.

i know it's hard to quit if your environment will just tempt you to keep on smoking. so just change your environment.

oh and chewing gum really does help. :)

I was on the patch for six months and when I discontinued it (to see if I could do without that alternative fix), I was clean for another six. Well, am back to smoking. Ironically, the thought of quitting 'cold turkey' gives me 'cold feet'.

Someday, I'll kick the habit. When? I have no idea.

i quit smoking more than a year ago but there had been a lot of failures before and after that. but now, i can drink beer, gin or vodca without it, go to bars or coffeeshops without having the urge for it.

about a couple of months ago, i bought a pack of cigarettes. i lit and smoked one and got totally dizzy to the point of throwing up. i threw the whole pack into the trash can.

i'd been a smoker for almost six years.

i regret starting.. i really do.. ive cut down from 1/2 or 3/4 a pack to 3 sticks a day.. i think this is the most i can cut down to.. one when i wake up, 1 before i go to bed, and 1 during the day wen im bored in the office.. but wen i go out, bars or drinking, im back to half a pack.. damn..