• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good day poor tao!

hows life today?

the reason why I was asking you earlier about the NSD rate on overtime because this is the area most of the employer slips. NSD rate on overtime must be computed based on the overtime rate and not the base rate. So if its 10% it should be from rate + ot premium and not the basic pay rate.

Good Day HR posters and residents!

An asian profile regarding which country has the highest labor cost. The Philippines rank 3rd. Singapore being the first. Do you think its a nice fact? maybe? or maybe not? but take a look at the quality output, among the 12 countries being studied our Philippines second, second starting at the bottom. Now that's bad news. How would capital find its way to Philippines if that is the statistics. I think we have to do something about this because everyear we are producing unemployed people at the double or triple digit rate.

I work for a multinational IT services company. Our costs are definitely higher than our closest Indian competitors. To make things worse, they have quality certifications like ISO and Software Engineering Institute's Capability Maturity Model.

So how do we compete? We are still trying to form our marketing message but our firm has bought an Indian company to give us a presence there. While our company's revenues have been going on a downward trend, our Indian acquisition has been having an increasing revenue trend.

The Manila office has been trying to get more competitive by getting quality certifications such as ISO and CMM but I think we may be late. Still, it makes us a bit more competititve when going against the Indians.

It is our hope that being an American company that has good relationships with customers will still count. I've been looking at those Indian companies for several years now and they will eat us for lunch if we aren't careful.

With only 3 companies that have CMM certifications in the country, we will be hard pressed to compete with the Indians since they have the most number of CMM Level 5 (the highest level) companies.

On a personal note, I have been trying to take courses and certifications that are globally recognized so that I won't get behind.

As a people, we have to realize that we are competing with the rest of the world. We can't just spend our time enjoying ourselves and having no cares. We have to wake up our leaders especially our politicians that we are wasting our time infighting when we should be looking at our neighbors and competitors.

good day poor tao!

hows life today?

the reason why I was asking you earlier about the NSD rate on overtime because this is the area most of the employer slips. NSD rate on overtime must be computed based on the overtime rate and not the base rate. So if its 10% it should be from rate + ot premium and not the basic pay rate.

SIR TOKOY, SALAMAT SA PALIWANAG MO. GANUN BA? SALAMAT SA THREAD NA TO AT MARAMI KAMING NALALAMAN NA HINDI NAMIN ALAM BEFORE.

SAD TO SAY, HINDI SINUSUNOD NG COMPANY NAMIN YUNG TAMANG COMPUTATION NG DIFFERENTIAL RATE DURING OVERTIME. KUNG GANUN, ANO DAPAT GAWIN NAMIN PARA MACORRECT SILA?

BY THE WAY PRE, ARE YOU A LAWYER OR HR MANAGER? DAMI MO ALAM SA LAWS ABOUT LABOR. SANA MA MEET KA NAMIN NG MGA OFFICEMATES MINSAN. PAINUMIN KA NAMAN NAMIN. HEHEHEHE. DAMI MO NA NA SHARE SA AMIN. SALAMAT PRE. :wub:

Good Day HR!

Let me take this opportunity to greet you all an advance merry christmas and a peaceful and productive new year ahead!

I was out of the board for some time because I was facilitating a year end evaluation in one of our subsidiaries. I got too much work in my lap now and I dont know if I can spend my holidays well.

SIR TOKOY, SALAMAT SA PALIWANAG MO. GANUN BA? SALAMAT SA THREAD NA TO AT MARAMI KAMING NALALAMAN NA HINDI NAMIN ALAM BEFORE.

SAD TO SAY, HINDI SINUSUNOD NG COMPANY NAMIN YUNG TAMANG COMPUTATION NG DIFFERENTIAL RATE DURING OVERTIME. KUNG GANUN, ANO DAPAT GAWIN NAMIN PARA MACORRECT SILA?

BY THE WAY PRE, ARE YOU A LAWYER OR HR MANAGER? DAMI MO ALAM SA LAWS ABOUT LABOR. SANA MA MEET KA NAMIN NG MGA OFFICEMATES MINSAN. PAINUMIN KA NAMAN NAMIN. HEHEHEHE. DAMI MO NA NA SHARE SA AMIN. SALAMAT PRE. :wub:

poor tao

that's one tough question you have there. :D well i worked in the HR world for almost ten years now. i have been to different facets of hr already in that span of time. i've been with training, recruitment, employee relations, benefits and others. maybe this is the reason why i was able to familiarize myself with the labor laws. i would be glad to meet you and your friends one of these days maybe we can arrange an HR EB. :)

good day!

good day to all you HR people,

I have one question. When it comes to severance pay, does it makes a difference if one gets sacked due to redundancy as compared to one who has to leave due company closure?

Good Day Jack!

On your question. My answer to that is YES. There's a difference between the pay for employees redundated against those terminated for cessation or closure of business.

The law states that employees who are declared redundant shall be entitled to at least one month of his latest pay. For those staying with the company for quiet a time they shall receive at least one month for every year of service. Please take note that company whose planning to reduce employees for cost saving measures must first serve a written notice to the Department of Labor at least one month before the planned effectivity. This is to give the law ample time to review the merits of their application.

On those retrenched or terminated due to business closure. The law states that they are entitled to at least one (1) month of his latest pay or at least half (.5) month for every year of service rendered. For both instances a fraction of at six (6) months shall be considered one year.

I consistently mentioned the term "at least" for both instances because if the company has a retirement program that program should prevail.

Thank you.

on your question as to what to do in your case?

allow me start with a question. do you have an employee council or a union? because i still believe that its best to discuss this matter over this group. this group can very well bring the issue to the management's representative/s.

in case of none, i believe that you have to seek audience with your HRD to discuss this matter. i usually suggest to employees of company's without council and union to involve HR always and never antagonize them because these are the very people who could help.

Good Day Jack!

On your question. My answer to that is YES. There's a difference between the pay for employees redundated against those terminated for cessation or closure of business.

The law states that employees who are declared redundant shall be entitled to at least one month of his latest pay. For those staying with the company for quiet a time they shall receive at least one month for every year of service. Please take note that company whose planning to reduce employees for cost saving measures must first serve a written notice to the Department of Labor at least one month before the planned effectivity. This is to give the law ample time to review the merits of their application.

On those retrenched or terminated due to business closure. The law states that they are entitled to at least one (1) month of his latest pay or at least half (.5) month for every year of service rendered. For both instances a fraction of at six (6) months shall be considered one year.

I consistently mentioned the term "at least" for both instances because if the company has a retirement program that program should prevail.

Thank you.

sir tokoy,

very well explained.

many thanks,

jack

I work for a multinational IT services company. Our costs are definitely higher than our closest Indian competitors. To make things worse, they have quality certifications like ISO and Software Engineering Institute's Capability Maturity Model.

So how do we compete? We are still trying to form our marketing message but our firm has bought an Indian company to give us a presence there. While our company's revenues have been going on a downward trend, our Indian acquisition has been having an increasing revenue trend.

The Manila office has been trying to get more competitive by getting quality certifications such as ISO and CMM but I think we may be late. Still, it makes us a bit more competititve when going against the Indians.

It is our hope that being an American company that has good relationships with customers will still count. I've been looking at those Indian companies for several years now and they will eat us for lunch if we aren't careful.

With only 3 companies that have CMM certifications in the country, we will be hard pressed to compete with the Indians since they have the most number of CMM Level 5 (the highest level) companies.

On a personal note, I have been trying to take courses and certifications that are globally recognized so that I won't get behind.

As a people, we have to realize that we are competing with the rest of the world. We can't just spend our time enjoying ourselves and having no cares. We have to wake up our leaders especially our politicians that we are wasting our time infighting when we should be looking at our neighbors and competitors.

I still believe that compared to our direct Indian counterpart Pinoy still enjoys great advantage. Despite all these trouble we have in our country right now i.e. the political and economic crisis still you can hear or read in the news that a Pinoy excelled. It is innate to us Pinoy to survive and excel in whatever craft that we do. As individual we are invincible because of the quality we have to survive. This is the very reason why I still believe that we have greater advantage compared to the Indians. Lately, a pinoy was awarded the top american award for teachers. She rose among her american and europian counterparts to garner the top prize.

Remember also that we are exporting quality brains abroad to work as General Managers, Executive Chefs, Professors, IT Heads, Engineers, Master Mariner, Doctors, Nurses and even mayors and now governor in one of the state in the US.

whose to blame?

What hindered us to rise as a nation is the inability of our leaders to provide this country with a goal. Its a sad fact that these people in the government prioritizes their selfish agenda to the detriment of us Pinoys. See what happened to our politics, the mud slinging from both sides and there goes our peso nosedived in what they call a record low against the dollar.

Partly, we are also to be blame. Our divisive attitude somehow widens the gap between us filipinos. We also didnt learn or deliberately forego the lessons taught to us by our history.

Again im dreaming on this. Imagine what will happen to us if all these interruptions be ridden off. You tell me?

Hi! its one of the challenge in recruitment - getting the right fit. we can give pointers in here but i highly recommend that you get formal training on it.

I can recommend two training institutions: UP School of Labor and Industrial Relations, UPSOLAIR telephone numbers - (632) 0928-6396;927-8340 or their website www.solair.upd.edu.ph or you can try PMAP-HRMDC telephone numbers (632) 726-1581; 726-1588.

thanks...

you may also visit PMAP's website at www.pmap.org.ph.

thanks

Please help me on these:

1. If you have annual salary increase and you feel that you are still shortchanged/undercompensated, when do you think is the best time to ask for a raise? Will it still be reasonable to ask for one if you are rated average or meets requirements on your KRA?

2. Is it ok to moonlight?

3. In applying for a job, how much expected salary should I state basing on my previous salary?

Help :ninja:

Please help me on these:

1. If you have annual salary increase and you feel that you are still shortchanged/undercompensated, when do you think is the best time to ask for a raise? Will it still be reasonable to ask for one if you are rated average or meets requirements on your KRA?

2. Is it ok to moonlight?

3. In applying for a job, how much expected salary should I state basing on my previous salary?

Help :ninja:

Greetings xcalibr!

belated merry christmas to you!

on your question pertaining to salary raise. actually you can consult your boss anytime of the year for that. it is your right to express what you think is unfair in your present work situation. but the best time to discuss it thoroughly is on the evaluation day itself when everything is being assessed, this is the most condusive time to discuss rates, performance and interventions. but let me share you what happened before the annual salary increase happened. it is normal for every company to allocate budget for operations. in our case we do it every september, this time we will cost everything from maintenance, labor, operations, equipment purchases and upgrade and others for next year. part of it is the allocation for salary increase. in most cases we give a percentage for the increase. it is budgetted already and mostly these figures (salary raise) has been forcasted already by your department heads. to justify the raise or the percentage of the raise one must come up with performance appraisal to gauge how much a person is worth basing on his performance. so if its budgetted that 10% would be the maximum rate for increase, not all will enjoy that 10% increase because of performance evaluation. so getting back to your question. if you feel your undercompensated it could be because of your past performance or if you feel not then maybe your organization is suffering from what we call salary distortion syndrome. somehow you have less bargaining power if your performing on the average level only.

well in the law if your employed for eight (8) hours in a company then its not okay to moonlight. there is always a clause in the contract or in the company policy called "FULL TIME" wherein you have to dedicate your time, energy, effort in the period where your at your workplace be it in office, field and other places of work. this you have to respect or this could be a basis or grounds for termination. however, because of our present economic condition there are instances that it is okay when you can accomplish the following requirements: 1st, your not with your company's direct competitor or supplier or end user of your product or services; 2nd, your not jeopardizing your required output or your obligations to the company; and 3rd, not doing it on your official office time. but if your working below eight (8) hours then you belong to the bracket called under employed. in this case you have to check your contract again if theres an opportunity for you to have a dual job at the same time since you're classified as such.

on your third question, the jumping board for expected salary is usually your last basic pay. however, you can raise it if you want but still this will be subjected to the hiring budget of the company for the position your applying.

i hope i somehow shed light on your inquiry

Thanks a lot Tokoy!

Some additional info: let's say that the performance is average but the salary received is lower than the entry level salary range on the specific industry. Do you think that it could be enough justification to ask for a salary adjustment considering that I already have 3 years experience?

A follow up on my third query: how much percent increase from your previous salary is just fair to ask?

Thanks

Happy New Year to all!!!

Thanks a lot Tokoy!

Some additional info: let's say that the performance is average but the salary received is lower than the entry level salary range on the specific industry. Do you think that it could be enough justification to ask for a salary adjustment considering that I already have 3 years experience?

A follow up on my third query: how much percent increase from your previous salary is just fair to ask?

Thanks

Happy New Year to all!!!

Hi!

I accidentally used someone else's acct. :lol:

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot Tokoy!

Thanks

Happy New Year to all!!!

happy new year xcalibr and/or xeduxer :D

sometimes it is a lesson that when you join a company you have to make sure to bargain for the right price. its a common mistake for those job seekers to jump in without reviewing the offer. i also happen to understand that there's a hierarchy of needs/demands and exactly at that point basic pay was not a concern then it was more of job acceptance. :D however, your problem if im correct started from this point.

here's what you can do: first, you need to perform and get rid of the average performance of yours, try to excel, theres no way to put you in better bargaining position than through this. forget the entry level. this is past already. your concern now is how to get a raise that is within the industry norm. if you have something to back up your argument of salary raise then it is your performance.

on your follow-up query on the fair percentage. actually in this sense fairness is somewhat subjective for it solely rely on the condition. some place 10% on top of their basic but i wont suggest that you may go beyond 10% or lower than 10%. the thing is you asked the company if how much is the job offer. normally company would share this information only then you can compute how much do you want. maybe you could include also the inflation rate if you want to.

thanks hope i can help.

hmmm this thread is not rolling again! well this is a nice sign. this means the labor force is contented as of the moment. i hope so.

i have some facts that you people can ponder upon again. they say it pays to be rich. maybe or maybe not but take a look at our education. today it is no longer a guarantee that once you have a diploma it will lead you to good life. maybe or maybe not. figures show that among the graduates only 30% was able to land a job the rest were bracketed under the category of under or unemployed status and of these 30% who have succesfully landed a job 80% comes from the higher middle to upper level schools i.e. ateneo, la salle and others. 20% are being shared by middle lower schools. a sad fact again.

• 2 weeks later...