The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

• 2 weeks later...

The raid 2

Action: still the best fight choreography I've seen in years. I'd hate to be an Indonesian stuntman. Story is not too complicated but a good follow up story of the protagonist rookie police Rama who goes undercover n his new name is Yuda. Thing to watch out for is the 3 hit men that Yuda needs to face at the end.

The expendables III

Expendables III early review

Yahooo! Was able to watch a DVD-quality copy of "The Expendables III" online weeks before its release! So here now is my early review. But be warned about some important things here. First, do not be one of those idiots expecting this to be more than what it is. Its not competing for an oscar. The story is shallow, the acting is blah, and its just filled with guilty-pleasure ridiculousness. Anybody who critics this film from the lack of story are like one of those idiots who walk inside McDonalds expecting a health-friendly meal. Make no mistake, this is cinema junk food. Also, if you are not a fan of 80s and 90s action, then you are probably not gonna like this. Remember folks, this is a love letter to the fans. To whimpy teenagers like myself back in those days growing up watching these guys and looking up to them as heroes. Before Ironman, before wolverine, before captain america, we had Rambo, Terminator, Blade etc.

So the movie opens with a rescue scene on a speeding train. The guys are after an old comrade who was part of the original gang. After busting him out, they go on another mission right after to find out that they are up against another old comrad. Stonebanks (Played by Gibson), who co-founded the expendables but has gone rouge and has been an a ruthless arms dealer. After one of the expendables gets fatally wounded, Barney Ross (Stallone) begins to reevaluate his morals and fires the old teammates and seeks to recruit new blood. Then, its one action sequence after the other.

The first installment took itself way too seriously and felt like a good direct-to-DVD action flick with famous names in the cast. The second was entertaining. It was self-aware that many of these heroes are old, and didn't mind making fun of themselves. With its humor, action scenes, and the duel between Stallone and Van Damme, it gave pretty much everything it asked for. The third one kinda mixed up the seriousness and the Humor. And so on those scenes that were serious I found kinda lame, and the scenes that were funny was pretty entertaining.

Wesley Snipes was great in this one, although I wanted to see more of what he could do reminiscent of the time when he was in his prime. I wanted to see more of him doing those cool martial arts moves. Who cares about rousey and these young guys? They are not the reason why fans wanna watch this. Gibson plays a decent villain. He is cold, ruthless, and seemed to have been in pretty good shape coming into this movie. Although his fight scene is stallone is not as good as it was when stallone was kicking Van Dammes ass. I really miss Van Damme, hope he brings him back in the 4th sequel as his twin. I liked Harrison Ford a lot too in this one too, suddenly I felt that they made a good choice firing Willis for this guy. Schwarzzeneger will always be the king of one liners (He uses the "Into the chopaa line a lot), but we really dont get to see much of him shooting around bad guys, and Jet Li was soooooo underused. I mean come on? Jet Li firing a machine gun from a chopper? No! No! No! We wanna see him do kung fu!

But the best part of this movie was not any of those guys I mentioned. It was Antonio Banderas. Man oh man, thank goodness for casting this guy! He stole every scene he was in! He was the perfect comic relief. His character played homage to his roles as Zorro, the mariachi... and puss in boots. He is just one annoying dude who can't seem to stop talking. I love how he tries to suck up to barney, and flirt with the only female member of the team. IMO he is enough reason to watch this movie.

There are plenty of action scenes in this movie, but they are not necessarily better than the second. Well... that isn't saying they were bad, but I wished that they stuck to basics and use less of that CGI crap. The climax as with typical 90s action was a bit over the top, but was still entertaining nonetheless.

Bottomline, despite all of its flaws and ridiculousness, Its still a love letter to us fans who grew up watching these guys. If you are a fan, you will forgive the movies short comings and enjoy it. If not. well...... just buy a ticket for a marvel movie.

• Downvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rurouni Kenshin II: Kyoto Inferno

Spectacular! Although some scenes were not the same in the anime, the directors made it all good and quick to save running time and focus on the more important highlights of the film. And the ending will surely make you not miss the third part "The Legend Ends"....Great movie. clap clap clap clap clap....^_^

• 4 weeks later...

Title of the Movie: k*ll THE MESSENGER STARS JEREMY RENNER (Bourne actor)

My rating of the movie 4/5, this is a true story of a journalist (Gary Webb) who discovered the alliance of CIA with drug cartel in Nicaragua and their funding of the Nicaraguan rebels.

Quite suspenseful and intriguing, few action scenes though.