The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Review: San Andreas (The movie with the Rock as the lead star not the other "San Andreas Quake" movie)

RATING: 7/10

We have seen The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) save the Fast and Furious and GI Joe Franchise and we have seen him star on his own [Rundown, Hercules (flop), Scorpion King, etc.]. Yet in this movie, we still see a diff. The Rock. No punching, no backbreaking, no big guns, no car chase scenes and no bad-ass dialogues.

He plays a member/official of a rescue team and the story revolves on how he was able to save her family and his marriage during the San Francisco intensity 9.6 Earthquake

HIGHS:

> If you have relatives in the US mostly in SF, tell them to watch - it has a possibility to happen in real life

> Destruction effects are creepy and realistic

> The family sub plot makes an interesting side story

> And of course, it stars Alex Daddario which appears in a bikini 1st (if you dont know her, watch true detective season 1 or just google her scene there - your welcome ;))

LOWS:

> Personally, after watching a LOT of disaster movies from the Past like 2012, Armageddon, Deep Impact, etc., I somewhat lost interest or amazement on the destruction scenes (in other words - kakaumay or ive seen this before even sa superhero movies)

> The earthquake just happens and then nothing is next, that is basically how it ended.

> No other scene or twist to hold on or to anticipate, just the rescue itself

> Poor ending

CONCLUSION:

San Andreas is not a bad disaster movie, its main purpose is to show what will possibly happen to SF when the San Andreas Fault collapses, we can learn a thing or two for we have our own valley fault. I still recommend it to everyone specially to the kids and young adults so that they can learn and be serious about earthquake drills in schools/offices.

REVIEW: ANT-MAN

Rating: 9/10

Plot: Scott Lang (Rudd), is a newly released prisoner previously convicted on a famous heist was recruited by Dr. Hank Pym (Douglas) to steal 2 things; an electric device on the Avengers Mansion and the Yellow jacket suit. Lang was hesitant at first but eventually agreed to redeem himself and also to provide for her only daughter in which he failed to do so during his robbery days. She was trained by Pym;s daughter - Hope (Lily) on using hand to hand combat and controlling an army of ants. His failure to steal the suit inside Cross Technologies lead him to battle with Darren Cross (Pym's protege and former business partner) donning the Yellow Jacket costume eventually beating the latter and saving the world (and pym's relationship with hope).

Highs:

> First Marvel movie that is very child friendly and very funny

> You almost forgot its a superhero movie, very entertaining and again - hilarious

> Lots of avengers references, even a cameo by Falcon and the new Avengers Mansion

> No plot holes, brief background on Pym and Wasp is easily understandable.

> The ant man shrinking scenes are new to the eyes and very refreshing

> Very nice climax fight (with appearances by Thomas and Friends)

> His wits and cleverness makes up for his lack of gadgets/tricks

Lows:

> For loyal comic fans, its a very, very different interpretation/take of Hank Pym and Ant Man

> The only thing true to the comics is Hank Pym's ego

MEMORABLE SCENES:

> Antman's first time to shrink (its not like, honey i shrunk the kid moment - its way better)

> Falcon vs Antman

> Wasp Cameo (her face was not seen on any of her appearances, even in pictures)

> 2 End Credits Scenes/Hidden Endings

> Final Battle

> Howard Stark (Tony's father) cameo

Good thing they stay true to most of Edgar Wright's script and casting Rudd as Lang is perfect much like Tony Stark of RDJ.

All in all, the film is very refreshing take on marvel superheroes in the MCU, new and entertaining.

Go ahead and watch it guys!

• Like (+1) 1

REVIEW: MINIONS

Rating: 8/10

Plot: The minions, after losing their villain master consecutively, was left to wander and hide in ice land. Seeing his fellow minions lose hope and reason to live, Kevin (the taller one) decides to go out in the open to find them a new villain master to serve. Accompanied by 1 volunteer (Bob) and 1 innocent wanderer (Stuwart) they embark on a journey to the US until they were send to London by their supposed to be master Scarlet Overkill to steal Queen Elizabeth's crown. Unexpected turn of events made Scarlet hate the 3 minions and decides to k*ll them until they were saved by someone familiar to all of us.

Highs:

> With the 3 minions chosen to be unique with each other, its easy to remember every one of them by their appearances

> Very funny (as expected) and entertaining take on their history and personal interest's

> Each minion has its own unique personality that makes them so endearing and loveable

Lows:

> The fight scene vs Scarlet, I just don't expect it to be that way

EXTRAS:

> Cameos by the Yeti and the Beatles

All in all, the minions didn't disappoint. Although the film does not end with a promise of a sequel, I'm pretty sure we will see more of these cute little yellow fellows soon.

Bring your kids, its worth it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...
First of all, despite what critics say,

Fantastic Four is a great movie. Director

of "Chronicle" did a good job.

* Spoiler Alert *

The movie showed moviegoers "somewhat" a

history of the Fantastic Four. Like most

marvel movies, are not similar to the comics.

IIRC, the F4 gained their powers as they

flew through space by a spacecraft invented

by Reed Richards, by passing through a belt

of cosmic energy. In the movie; Ben, Reed,

Sue and Von Doom rode a matter transporter

to an unknown planet. Ben Grimm, born out

of poverty and raised in the streets, was

an excellent football player; in the movie,

he worked in his parents junk yard shop.

The Baxter bldg was a great setting on the

first part of the story which was good. Reed

met Sue and Victor while at Columbia Univ.

while in the movie, Sue and Von Doom was

working for a secret government agency and

Reed met them here for the first time. It's

hard to get Dr Dooms origin on film. Doom

was born in Latveria, son of a witch. Due

to his parents death he practiced both sorcery

and technology and became a ruler. It was

an experiment of Reed and Doom that made him

get a scar on his face and wear a mask. In

the movie, Doom "supposedly" got his powers

by travelling to another planet along with

the F4.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Its official, Tom Cruise is the greatest movie star of all time, and this movie proves why. How many superstars back in the 80s are still dominating the box office today? Sly is all washed up. The new terminator was a disappointment, but Tom? He is still at the top of his game. He has been raking in box office return for nearly 4 decades and it does not seem that he is gonna slow down anytime soon. I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. Before the main feature, they showed a preview on how they did that stunt on the plane. My Goodness! Tom Cruise really strapped himself at the side of the plane. It did set the mood for the main feature quite well. Every action scene that has Tom in it, you are pretty sure that the stunt was done real and its not some CGI bullshit.

In this Mission Impossible installment, super secret agent Ethan Hunt is out to prove the existence of "the syndicate", an organization of rogue secret agents. As the IMF becomes dissolved, Hunt once again becomes a fugitive chased by the CIA. He also has to reluctantly trust Llsa, another renegade British secret agent whose allegiance seems to be murky. To take down the syndicate Ethan will also need to enlist the help of his former IMF teammates Benjie, Luther, and Brandt. That is the basic plot.

I really enjoyed the action scenes in this movie. Finally an action movie where its more about the actor doing those dangerous stunts than all that superhero ridiculousness where you never feel the actor was in any real danger. Moreover, this movie brought many things we loved from each MI installment. It has the difficult vault heist of MI:1. The motorcycle chase of MI:2. The high altitude stunts of MI:3 and 4. And though Tom is not really kicking ass he was still fun to watch. My favorite scene would be the chase in morocco. Using a BMW, Tom Rams into a group of motorcycle thugs, swiping them off the alley like they were bowling pins. As if that wasn't badass enough, we get to see the coolest Bike scene in the freeway ever put on film. I was gripping the edge of my arm rest watching these sequences.

The supporting characters were also great in this one. Simon Pegg was a good comic relief. I love that they hired Jeremy Rener again to be part of the team. Its also nice to see Vhing Rhames as a part of Ethan's crew. However, unlike Ghost Protocol, this feels more like once again the Tom Cruise show rather than a team-effort movie. They only come together as a team nearing the end. And this is something that I really missed from the previous installment. Nonetheless, this movie was still enjoyable. It is as enjoyable as ghost protocol but it is not necessarily better over all as a movie. But on the other hand, it just goes to show that we have a good reason to keep watching out for whatever installment they will make again.

ok ung rogue nation.

Yesss! Sulit na sulit bayad dito. Maaksyong pelikula talaga. Tama na kasi ang mga superhero movie at walang katapusang CGI na yan. Kahit yung bida nakaCGI din minsan. Kakasawa na. Maganda lang tignan pero iba pa din yung thrill na alam mong totoong stunt work yung pinapanood mo. Talagang mapapakapit ka sa upuan mo.

Kudos to Tom for being an awesome action star. Say what you want about this guy, but he is truly the greatest movie star of all time. He still knows how to thrill fans after nearly 4 decades of dominating the box office. Si Arnold tanda na para magterminator pa. Pero si Tom Cruise astig na astig pa din

Yesss! Sulit na sulit bayad dito. Maaksyong pelikula talaga. Tama na kasi ang mga superhero movie at walang katapusang CGI na yan. Kahit yung bida nakaCGI din minsan. Kakasawa na. Maganda lang tignan pero iba pa din yung thrill na alam mong totoong stunt work yung pinapanood mo. Talagang mapapakapit ka sa upuan mo.

Kudos to Tom for being an awesome action star. Say what you want about this guy, but he is truly the greatest movie star of all time. He still knows how to thrill fans after nearly 4 decades of dominating the box office. Si Arnold tanda na para magterminator pa. Pero si Tom Cruise astig na astig pa din

I agree! Mas maganda pa rouge nation kaysa sa MI3 and MI4.. but i need to watch again 1 & 2 dahil mejo limot ko na para masabe na ito ung best MI movie.. motorcycle scene pa lng panalo na... although mejo nabitin ako sa fight scene nila nung kalaban, I expect na mas matagal laban nila but got surprized natapos agad, but all in all ayus na ayus... astig pa rin c tom cruise... at lahat ng leading lady na nakukuha nya maganda.. hahaa...

as for FF4, very disappointed talaga ako.. parang last 15mins nalng ng movie nagkaroon talaga ng FF4... panget pa ni doom... tsk.. kung nag-gomo gomo no sana c mr fantastic baka gumanda ng onti.,.

I agree! Mas maganda pa rouge nation kaysa sa MI3 and MI4.. but i need to watch again 1 & 2 dahil mejo limot ko na para masabe na ito ung best MI movie.. motorcycle scene pa lng panalo na... although mejo nabitin ako sa fight scene nila nung kalaban, I expect na mas matagal laban nila but got surprized natapos agad, but all in all ayus na ayus... astig pa rin c tom cruise... at lahat ng leading lady na nakukuha nya maganda.. hahaa...

Kahit ano pa sabihin ni press kay Tom Cruise tungkol sa religion nya, yung stand nya against psychiatric treatment, at previous relationships, he will still go down as the greatest movie star of all time. He is the Michael Jackson of eye-candy/[pop corn movies. Nung 80s kasabayan nya sina Stallone, Arnie, at Mel Gibson. Ngayon puros laos na mga yan, di na sila tumatabo sa takilya. Pero si Tom Cruise, talagang hangang ngayon pakakaabangan pa mga pelikula nya. Yan ang astig.

Yan ang magaling na sequel, yung bang hirap ka ikumpara talaga kung alin mas maganda. Hirap talaga isipin kung ano yung mas astig. Ghost Protocol ba o itong Rogue Nation..... hmmmmm Ill go with ghost protocol na lang by a very very thin margin. I like Ghost Protocol because it featured a better IMF team. All of them were integral to the success of the Mission, and they were working together with good chemistry. Most of the MI installments (including this one), feels like the Tom Cruise show... but like I said, thin margin lang lamang ng Ghost Protocol. In terms of entertainment value, pantay lang yung dalawang huli. Hopefully the 6th one will just be as good.

Eto Capsule Review ko sa series

1. MI:I- It was ok at the time, very suspenseful espionage movie, but the plot was too convoluted di mo talaga maintindihan yung story

2. MI:II- Now critics have this as the least favorite installment, but I actually liked it a lot. This time the plot was simpler, and what it lacked in plot made up in action. Astig yung barilan at fight scenes

3. MI:III- wala masyadong bago, plateu na series dito. Parang wala ng bagong idea maisip to reinvigorate the franchise. Still enjoyable, and it featured the best Villain

4. MI:IV- This one breathe new life into the franchise. Just awesome and featured probably the coolest stunt in the series

5. MI:V- Keeps the tradition of the previous one in terms of coolness, you know the rest lol

Better ang ghost protocol...story wise and plot wise....oo more of a team sila dun...sa rogue nation...one man cruise army si tom...kahit si ving rhames(present on all MI films) kaunti lang ang screen time...napunta kay pegg...samantalang kayang kayang gawin ni ving rhames lahat ng intell hehehe..and of course ....ang favorite ko....si rebecca ferguson....yum yum....:) MI films naman laging magaganda ang action scenes....so panalo talaga....good thing pinalabas una ang antman...and malas lang at nakasabay ng FF...or rather blessing in disguise...you get to choose rogue nation intead of FF hehe

Antman

Love the fight scene between antman and the yellowsuit inside the briefcase and at home. I thought that Antman will never see his daughter again with that regulator activated. Movie could have been shortened as there are many unnecessary scenes in the early part of the film imo. Overall I rate this film 3.5/5. Looking forward for the antwoman sequel.

The dubsmash yung winner para sakin. :D

Attack On Titan Movie

Ratings: (10 is the highest)

• Plot : 6.5/10
  • Visual / Graphics: 10/10
  • Characters: 7/10
  • Settings: 8/10

Comment:

Kahit fan ako ng attack on titan anime/manga hindi ko nagustuhan yung movie marami nabago from the original story at may mga bagong characters at nagbago din mga ugali yung iba.

excited pa nman ako panoorin pumunta agad ako ng maaga sa sine yung nagstart magshowing at pagkatapos medyo nakakadisappoint lng nageexpect pa nman ako katulad ng Ruruoni Kenshin (Samurai X).

Sana maganda na sa part 2 na ilalabas :)

Attack On Titan Movie

Comment:

Kahit fan ako ng attack on titan anime/manga hindi ko nagustuhan yung movie marami nabago from the original story at may mga bagong characters at nagbago din mga ugali yung iba.

excited pa nman ako panoorin pumunta agad ako ng maaga sa sine yung nagstart magshowing at pagkatapos medyo nakakadisappoint lng nageexpect pa nman ako katulad ng Ruruoni Kenshin (Samurai X).

Well as for sa mga anime na ginagawang live actions may mga pagbabago talaga.. as for ATTACK ON TITAN ang laki ng binago nila sa sa storyline sa anime at sa live action at yung end nung part one sobrang bitin at disappointing..

Attack On Titan Movie

Comment:

I'm also a big fan, but on the contrary I enjoyed the movie.

I watched it with my Bossing and she have no idea whatsoever of the story. Basta there are giants and spiderman squad daw.

Pero she really enjoyed it daw and can't wait for the part 2 this September.

I guess disappointing sya sa mga Otaku, pero at least non-fan were able to appreciate it.

Masyado magiging mahaba ang storya pag nag stick to original materials yun.