The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Star Trek Beyond.

Looked like the writers finally decided to depart from the TOS episodes and create a story of their own fit for the reboot. I like it.

And calling The Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" as classical music just cracks me up.

My only complaint was the universal translator. The TOS generation did not have that. It was why they had Communications Officers as Lt. Uhura who did the translation for the crew.

9.5/10

Ayos lang ang suicide squad. Not the best, not the worst just good. Yung rare moments ni deadshot, harley quinn, boomerang and diablo wer the best. Angat pa din ang marvel by a longshot. Pero naniniwala padin akong DC can still set the bar high. Jared Leto was ok as the Joker. Wala padin tatalo sa Heath Ledger Joker. Onti lang ng Joker scenes. Parang cameo nalang. All in all id give 7/10. :)

Wala akong makitang "totoong" review kaya post ko na lang to;

'Suicide Squad' Review: I Didn't Want To Write 2200 Words About This Damn Movie But It Made Me

https://creators.co/@Alisha/4025168

Watching Suicide Squad is like watching two completely different movies between the first act and the last two. Rather, it felt like there was an entire other act that should have served as a transition that was just missing completely. The editing choices made in this film were just strange, creating a tonal inconsistency and lack of continuity that was hard to overlook, a cautionary tale to studios about why you don't edit films this big by committee.

Edited by daphne loves derby
  • 3 weeks later...

Sicario (2015)

A very gritty and realistic take on the ongoing hunt for major players in the mexican drug cartel. My only nitpick is that it was not gory enough to make it more realistic. I mean in some cities of Mexico, the drug war is so intense that syndicates are resorting to very barbaric methods like dismembering bodies and throwing them on the sidewalks. Other than that, this is a well-written, well-cast, and well directed movie.

It is very tensed from start to finish. You know s@%t is really gonna go down somewhere, but when where and who? That border shootout scene was so well made. At any given time in heavy traffic, goons will just get out of their car and starts shooting the convoy of the multi-agency task force. Everyone was waiting for someone to just make a wrong move and start shooting.

Let me say that Benecio Del Toro's character is the best-written character I have seen in a while. You know there is just something mysterious about him. He is mild-mannered and soft-spoken, but you also see that he is a beast inside waiting to be let lose. He is the perfect embodiment of "necessary evil". Working with the good guys, but evil himself. I mean he can be very fatherly, but at the same time he has no qualms about murdering women and children to get the job done.

I loved Brolins character too. While people are shooting each other, he is sitting inside his car, chewing a gum and watching s@%t go down with a smirk on his face.

4.5/5

• Like (+1) 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Kickboxer: Vengance

This is a reboot /remake of the 1989 cult martial arts film of the same name Starring Jean Claude Van Damme. If you are a boy who grew up in the early 90s, then there is no way that you have not seen this one and actually enjoyed it. TOgether with Blood Sport, Kickboxer launched the career of Van Damme as a bankable caucasian martial arts superstar. Back in those days most martial arts stas were oriental.

Seeing the trailer and knowing that batista will play the main villain, I was anticipating for this. With the rising popularity of MMA, I thought it would be interesting to see how they would make the necessary updates to the fight. Back in those days fight movies starring Van Damme was more about muscle flexing than actual figthing. But it was cool back then.

After seeing it, I was really let down. This is why you should not attempt to fix something that is not broken in the first place. This movie wasted its potential cast (and surprisingly Van Damme is in this). Bastista looked like a badass in this. Too bad he could not do much to save this movie. The fight scenes were cheesey. The whole movie was sloppily edited. You can even hear that a stand in had to be used to voice van damme in some scenes, and the story did not make any sense. Do not get me wrong, I am not the kind of douchebag that goes to these movies expecting a good story. In action movies stories need to be simple but make sense. In the original, the story was simple. a kickboxer becomes paralyzed after fighting a thai kickboxing freak, his brother seeks mentorship from a local, we are treated with awesome training montages, and it culminates in a final fight where two oiled up guys go at it..... and we got to see Van Damme in his awesome spinning high kicks. The story in this one hardly made any sense. Too many plot loopholes to mention. I don't even wanna go through them. Even the scenes were poorly stiched together.

The thing is, the original became a classic because of one thing. Van Damme! Though he was not much of an actor at the time, his muscles and spinning leg kicks really sold the movie. He started an action movie genre of his own. He is the best part in this reboot, he is still ripped, and still got the moves but sadly he is not the main hero now. This new unknown guy who wants to copycat van damme has zero charisma

My advice? If you have to see this one, download it, but do not pay for the ticket or the rental. Better yet just go watch never backdown and those direct-to-DVD undisputed sequels

post-116634-0-60642000-1474062461_thumb.jpg

Bastille Day

Starring: Idris Elba

I enjoyed this film. Greatly. The plot may not be original but the presentation or cinematography is very good. The fight scenes are also very good. Idris Elba is no Tom Cruise or Vin Diesel but he was effective in his role. Movies are supposed to be entertaining and in this regard Bastille Day won't disappoint. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I totally missed out on Suicide Squad not because of the bad reviews but because I simply did not have enough time. So I watched Doctor Strange over the weekend and it just one of the better films of the year. I bet people here already saw the film but here is my opinion on it. The story is deep but not mind numbingly complicated. It's like Inception and Unbreakable narrated in the Marvel style of story telling. Time, space and reality are bent to ungodly proportions. Such a feat is unfathomable but the production staff made a good job of making it visual and understandable for feeble minded mortals like me. Cheers to Marvel. Now if DC can make an equally good job with their movies......

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

assassins creed...

having played some of the games from this series, i already expected this movie will suck and it did. Andun yung base story but it failed in delivering the narrative well enough. Kahit hindi mo nalaro yung game or hindi ka familiar sa backstory, sigurado mababaduyan ka pa rin kasi hindi maayos ang pacing, masyado minadali.

Honestly, they should have stuck with the original narrative parang sa marvel pero kasi andami nila iniba dito. Plot lang yung kinuha sa main story tapos hindi pa maayos ang pagkaka-kwento. Parang nasira lang pangalan ng series dahil sa movie na to.

• 1 month later...

Looks like DC's rising as The LEGO Batman Movie is getting more positive reviews. Below is one of them.

http://cbr3.imgix.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/lego-batman-movie-header.jpg?auto=format&lossless=1&q=40&w=984&h=518&fit=crop

“The LEGO Batman Movie” is a total blast. Packed with color, character, wit and energy, it’s not afraid to get silly, but smart enough to layer in meta humor that’s sure to reward rewatching.

http://www.cbr.com/lego-batman-movie-review/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=lista

I totally missed out on Suicide Squad not because of the bad reviews but because I simply did not have enough time. So I watched Doctor Strange over the weekend and it just one of the better films of the year. I bet people here already saw the film but here is my opinion on it. The story is deep but not mind numbingly complicated. It's like Inception and Unbreakable narrated in the Marvel style of story telling. Time, space and reality are bent to ungodly proportions. Such a feat is unfathomable but the production staff made a good job of making it visual and understandable for feeble minded mortals like me. Cheers to Marvel. Now if DC can make an equally good job with their movies......

Wait until the releases of Wonder Woman and Justice League this year. Why? Because DC Comics' top creator Geoff Johns is now involved with both productions and having power over the filmmakers, he helped rewrite the scripts and had re-shoots done.

Geoff Johns is Warner Bros./DC's equivalent to Marvel Studio's heart-and-soul Kevin Feige.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

Good stuff:

1. The story has a lot of substance especially in the final 25 minutes. The substance reconnects nicely not only with the first film but also with a tremendous plot related to the past. I found it surprising, intriguing and worth watching.

2. Lots of stunts and action scenes led by Milla Jovovich as before.

3. Ali Larter's return as Claire Redfield is worth the long wait since 2010's Resident Evil: Afterlife.

4. Nice mix of suspense and horror to balance with the action scenes.

Bad stuff:

1. Very terrible film editing.

2. Excessive hand-held camera photography and shaky cam moments.

3. The usual lazy approach of director/screenwriter Paul W. S. Anderson with regards to certain story details. Unsurprisingly no explanation was provided as to what happened to Jill Valentine, Leon Kennedy and Ada Wong since after Resident Evil: Retribution ended.

4. Despite the film's title, the ending is not conclusive.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait until the releases of Wonder Woman and Justice League this year. Why? Because DC Comics' top creator Geoff Johns is now involved with both productions and having power over the filmmakers, he helped rewrite the scripts and had re-shoots done.

Geoff Johns is Warner Bros./DC's equivalent to Marvel Studio's heart-and-soul Kevin Feige.

For real? I almost gave up on DC Extended Universe, but this kinda got my hopes up. Thanks for sharing the info