The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Southpaw

Finally got a chance to see this. I am a big fan of fight movies.

Superstar boxer Billy Hope (Jake Gyllenhall) has everything a man could want. Championship belts, fortune, a beautiful wife, and an adorable daughter. But when his wife gets accidentally shot after a scuffle with another up-and-coming contender, his life begins to spiral out of control. When he starts to go on a self-destructive pattern, he begins to lose everything that matters to him. His belts, his home, his daughter, even his pride as a man. He now has to pull himself together and fight his inner demons to take back what he lost.

The casting was awesome. Everyone was great in their roles. Jake Gyllenhall who looks ripped as hell gives a very committed performance. He can be a beast inside and outside the ring, but he also shows a lot of tenderness in those scenes with his daughter. The girl who plays the daughter? Oh my goodness, she should get an acting nod for this. What a performance. Your heart really breaks when you see her get angry at her dad. Forrest Whitaker was awesome as the trainer. He develops Billy to become a more disciplined fighter relying more on technique than brute force, and mentors him as well to become a mature male figure to his daughter. Favorite line of the movie

"You gotta let her hate you so she can get better. You gotta let her go through her thing, and not think that this is also your thing. Its not always about you". True! When you break someone's heart sometimes its just better to let them be mad at you for a while so that they can forgive you later on.

The other supporting casts were also good. Naomie Harris (Eve Moneypenny) plays a small supporting role as the social worker who takes care of the daughter and teaches Billy to become a better father. 50 cent is the movies Don King, a manipulative greedy bastard who will make use of any situation to make money. He too was well cast. The main villain though is a bit underdeveloped.

Of course, what is a fight movie without the obligatory training montage and fight scenes. With the music provided by Eminem the workout scenes gets you real pumped up. The fights were well-shot too. Its very violent and gritty. Showing faces being beaten to a pulp, with plenty of sweat and blood all over. I also liked that it doesnt look any of the Rocky IV ridiculousness where they just keep throwing fists at each other without any technique or strategy. Thats one thing the movie got right, showing different boxing strategies that work in a real match.

The movies main problem though is that it has way too many cliches that make the beginning, middle, and end predictable. Its a redemption tale that we have seen so many times. There is the fall from grace, then the protagonist beats his own demons, get redeemed after the climactic battle, and is once more at the top again. Having said that, it doesnt do much to stand out as a boxing movie.

Ill just give this one a B-

• 3 weeks later...

Deadpool - 8/10

Story - 7/10
Action - 8/10
SFX - 7/10
Comedy - 9/10

For me Deadpool is a good movie enough para masulit ang bayad sa ticket. Siguro dahil sa hype and anticipation kaya tumaas expectation ko.

Action is good. Madami ako friends nagsabe maganda daw tlaga ung fight scenes. Pero cguro masyado lng ako exposed sa mga kungfu/martial arts movies lalo na sa mga brutal fight scene so for me, there is nothing new here aside from the fact na rare natin makita ung blood and gore sa isang marvel movie..

As for the story, straightforward lng, which is a good thing for me para d ka na masyado magiisip since action and comedy naman talaga habol mo kay deadpool.

Saktong sakto tlaga c ryan reynolds as deadpool. Halatang nageenjoy sya sa role nya. He is born to play this role and pwde na natin makalimutan sya as green lantern... hahaha..

What i like the best though is it is very entertaining. Too many references to other franchises na makakarelate tau and madaming scenes ang nakakatawa. Lalo na ung nitry nya labanan c colossus, hahahaa..

Although fox ang gumawa, i think overall they have done a good job making this movie. But i would not rank na kapareho ng mga best movie ng marvel cinematic universe, ang nilamang lang is the comedy part and the R rating.
Still looking forward though on the next deadpool (and cable) movie.

• 1 month later...

Batman vs superman

Story : 7/10

Action : 9/10

Comedy : 1/10

Ok...was one of those who watched it on the first day....and i was really happy when i came out of the movie...the story was compelling....mood is very dark...heck it was so dark...i hardly see the Big Blue boy scout smiled....batman was patterned from frank millers The Dark Knight...and wonder woman? She is hot ....lol...action was top notch..especially on the third act...and wonder woman is really hot! Oh wait theres luthor ...and im sure thered be a ton of reactions from the non DC fanboys regarding the ending too...

The actors? Ben affleck nailed batman perfectly, massive, brutal and brooding.....cavill? Hes not reeves ..so his acting came abit woody....was hoping his superman to be abit cheerful and optimistic...gal gadot? All i can say is when wonder woman finally came out...there was clapping and cheering inside the theater...jesse eisenbergs luthor is more of a crazy evil genius rather than an evil sinister genius,..i find his luthor to be abit erratic...

And those easter eggs!!!...wow....finally we're goin to see a good justice league lineup...and for those watching BvS..watch carefully the dream sequence...and youll get an idea who the Leagues Big bad villain goin to be...

All in all...BvS delivered where it should have...it different from all the marvel movies...its dark...gritty...as opposed to marvels fun cheerful atmosphere...id rate it higher than age of ultron, iron man 2&3 and amazing spiderman 2...

Go watch it!

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

At first I couldn't believe the bad reviews -- all this time I thought Christopher Nolan was still part of the movie. He rarely makes bad movies. When the opening credits were rolling and I didn't see Syncopy was part of the production, then I thought ok, no wonder it could be a bad movie. After watching the movie, I understood where all the bad reviews are coming. The story was rather incoherent (a lot of scenes just jumped out of nowhere with no real buildup). I don't really mind the dark tone of the movie. Still, it's not as bad as the critics are saying. I thought it's still a must watch movie though watching in IMAX or 3D isn't necessary.

Positives:

> I thought Ben Afflect played Batman good. Actually much better then expected. He doesn't deserve that sad afflect meme especially with his performance as Bruce Wayne

> Gal Gadot was hot!! Gotta admit that the Wonder Woman entrance was the highlight of the film. Definitely worth the applause as mentioned in other reviews.

> Good action movie overall. Starting part is incoherent but the action scenes were already ok. Medyo malayo yung trailer sa actual na nangyari.

Negatives:

> Horrible performance by Superman

> Lex Luthor -- meh. Not really horrible but still pretty bad

> Storyline horrible

Overall: 7 or 7.5

To be fair to DC, the buildup movies of Marvel leading to Avengers (Thor, Captain America, Iron Man 2) were pretty lame as well. Since this is just a build-up to the Justice League movie, I think the movie is fine. I hope Christopher Nolan is involved with the Justice League movie so it would be better.

Definitely looking forward to the Wonder Woman movie next year. Gal Gadot is so hot!!!

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Everything Batman was awesome. Wonder Woman is quite good and the soundtrack when she's on screen reminds me of 300. The other Justice League parts felt forced. All the Superman part of the movie was boring, cheesy and overall, a total mess. I do hope if Superman gets another sequel, the producers would ditch Amy Adams' Lois Lane and go for Wonder Woman & Superman love story route. Eisenberg's Lex Luthor Jr. was a total miscast as the character acts and sounds like a hipster's version of Tim Burton's Joker. The story, conflicts and resolution that glued this movie was weak. I do hope the R-rated director's cut fixes this mess.

My Rating: 6/10

Warner Bros still have their saving grace with Batman in this movie which is, I think and believe, Batman is still WB's poster boy so he has the first billing on the title. Batfleck has a bright future ahead. I'm not quite sure about other characters of the Justice League presented in this movie. And why no Green Lantern? We all know the Green Lantern bombed but that doesn't mean the character should be left behind as he is still one of the main (and popular) members of the Justice League. But if they do include GL in future movies, I just hope they don't hire Tyrese Gibson.

• 2 weeks later...

Batman vs superman movie wasn't so bad. I wonder why many critics blasted it.

When you take 2 of the biggest icons in pop culture, expectations will always be high. For critics and fanboys its either awesome or s@%t lang.

But yeah, it was worth the price of a ticket. All flaws in the story aside, it was an entertaining movie

10 Cloverfield Lane - 8/10

Story - 10/10
Action/Suspense - 8/10
SFX - 7/10

Acting - 9/10

I recommend watching this movie without reading any information about the story and stay away from any spoilers. Best to watch this without any knowledge of what you will be expecting.

This movie was a surprize given that there were no news during its production and was only announced when the trailer was released. Kahit papano nagandahan naman ako sa Cloverfield (released last 2008) and since they share the same title and the same producer naexcite ako panoorin ito although the producer JJ abrams didn't mentioned if this is a sequel or even connected to the first movie.

Without giving any spoiler, I could say na for me, sulit panoorin ito sa sine.. Galing ng acting ni john goodman, d mo malaman kung my topak lang ba sya or mabait...

To be honest, i think some might find this movie boring.. my naririnig na nga ako nakatulog at naghihilik na sa bandang gitna ng movie and my time na rin na patingin tingin na rin ako sa phone ko dahil inaantay ko nalng ung ending buti nalng magaling acting nila and d ko mapredict ung story kaya napapatutok pa rin ako, isa pa ang ganda rin ni mary elizabeth winstead..

Pero sobrang bumawi during the last part... d ko akalain na ganun ung climax ng movie, cguro nakatulong na mejo nabore na ako sabay biglang naging ganun ung takbo ng movie, d ako nakapagprepare.. lumabas 2loy ako sa sinehan na nanginginig, saktong magisa lng ako nanood tapos sa bandang unahan pa ako umupo kaya wala ako mga katabi saka madami ako nainom na coffee before pumasok s sine.. hahaa..

Anyway, again this might be a sure hit or super miss for anyone but I would still recommend to check this out... Malay mo isa kau sa magagandahan... but if you already read any spoiler or information about the story and ending of the movie then malaki na ung chance na d na kau maeenjoy.

Edited by Artanis
  • 2 weeks later...

Jungle book

FV: ganda ng cinematography ...lalo na yun mga animals nde mo akalain CGI???

BV: story content...simple but fun....just like the original animated jungle book...

ES: extra songs...lol......daming songs hehehe....

Sabi nga..." Forget about your worries and your strife... Bare necessities....

Babalik balikan ko ba? Oo....highly recommended....

Kaya tara na mga lalabs...catch it while its still showing...ala nga lang mga promos lol....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On Warcraft : the movie's storyline is pretty much based on the Warcraft 1 Game. Although it has gained mostly critical reviews, I would give it an 8/10 -- wifey enjoyed it and was able to somewhat understand why I am a fan of the game and the franchise.

Draenor, the homeworld of the orcs, is dying. Gul'dan unites the orc clans into an army called the Horde, and uses a mysterious magic force called the fel to create a portal to the realm of Azeroth. The fel requires draining life to sustain the portal, so the orcs sacrifice captive Draenei to fuel it. Gul'dan leads a small warband to capture prisoners in Azeroth and sacrifice them to bring the whole Horde through. Despite their doubts, Durotan, the chieftain of the Frostwolf clan, his pregnant mate Draka, and his friend Orgrim Doomhammer join this initial warband. While crossing through the portal, Draka goes into labor. When the orcs arrive in Azeroth, Gul'dan assists Draka with her birth, but the baby is stillborn. Gul'dan then uses the life force of a nearby deer to revive and infuse fel magic into the baby.

The orcs raid several settlements throughout Azeroth. Sir Anduin Lothar, the military commander of the kingdom of Stormwind, looks over some of the men that were killed, and catches a trespassing mage named Khadgar, who explains that he was investigating the dead bodies because they contain traces of the fel. Khadgar persuades Stormwind's king, Llane Wrynn, to consult Medivh, the fabled Guardian of Tirisfal, and Llane sends Lothar and Khadgar to Medivh's citadel Karazhan to inform him of the fel's presence in Azeroth. In the Karazhan library, a ghostly shadow leads Khadgar to a mysterious book, which he takes.

Lothar, Khadgar and Medivh join a scouting team following traces of fel magic, but are ambushed by orcs. Medivh uses a spell to k*ll most of the orcs, and Durotan, Orgrim, and the Horde's warchief Blackhand flee.

Khadgar restrains the half-orc Garona, and the soldiers take her prisoner. King Llane frees Garona in exchange for loyalty to Stormwind, and she leads the humans to spy on the orc camp, where they learn of Gul'dan's plan to bring the entire Horde to Azeroth. Meanwhile, Durotan realizes that the fel magic drained the life from Draenor, and if Gul'dan is not stopped Azeroth will suffer the same fate. Despite Orgrim's objections, Durotan invites Llane to a secret meeting so that the Frostwolf Clan and humans can unite to k*ll Gul'dan. Studying the book he took from Karazhan, Khadgar learns that Gul'dan could not have opened the portal on his own; he had help from someone in Azeroth. He is confronted by Medivh that he should not be so arrogant as to think Medivh needs his help, and effortlessly burns Khadgar's notes with a spell. Khadgar later discusses the truth about the portal with Lothar, as well as Medivh's actions against him.

The Frostwolf Clan meet with the humans to negotiate an alliance, but are ambushed by Blackhand. As the humans retreat, Medivh forms a magical barrier to protect them, but Lothar’s son Callan is separated from the rest of the group and killed by Blackhand. Medivh is severely weakened, so Garona and Khadgar take him back to Karazhan to recover. After noticing Medivh's eyes shine green, showing that he is infected by the fel, Khadgar returns to his former home Dalaran to seek help from a group of mages called the Kirin Tor. Alodi, a legendary mage, reveals that Medivh has indeed been corrupted by the fel and possessed by a demon. At the orc camp, Blackhand purges the Frostwolf clan. Draka escapes and sends her baby down a river in a basket, but she is then caught and killed by another orc. Durotan challenges Gul'dan to a Mak'gora, a traditional orcish duel to the death with its set of rules. During the fight, Gul'dan kills Durotan by draining his life with his magic, earning the disapproval of the orcs in presence for his violating honorable combat rules. Medivh, now in a half-demonic state, starts to open the portal to Draenor, and Gul'dan sacrifices the captured human villagers to allow the rest of the horde to enter Azeroth.

Llane leads the human army in an assault on the orc camp, while Khadgar and Lothar fight Medivh and exorcise the demon inside him. Medivh is left mortally wounded, using the last of his strength to close the portal to Draenor and instead open a portal to Stormwind, allowing Llane to evacuate most of the freed prisoners. The portal closes as Medivh dies, leaving Llane, Garona and a small number of human soldiers to fight the orcs. Llane secretly orders Garona to k*ll him, saying it is of no use for both of them to die, and thus restore her honor with the orcs. Garona reluctantly does so, and is welcomed into the Horde by Gul'dan. As the Orcs celebrate, Lothar arrives on his gryphon to retrieve King Llane's body. Blackhand challenges Lothar to a Mak'gora, and Lothar successfully defeats him. Against Gul'dan's demands, the orcs, bound by tradition, allow Lothar to depart with Llane's body. At Llane's funeral in Stormwind, the leaders of the other human nations, as well as the High Elves and Dwarves, proclaim an alliance against the orcs and rally behind Lothar. Elsewhere, the basket with Durotan and Draka's infant son Go'el, is found by a human.

“Warcraft” ends with a set-up for a sequel, but also the feeling that if this is what combat looks like, it’s time to give peace a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Star Trek Beyond

Surprisingly good movie even without Leonard Nemoy. Was contemplating on Ghostbusters or this. Glad I went Trekkie for 2 hours, not that I think GB is bad. Chris Pine gave his version of Kirk justice. Uhura, Bones, Spock, Zulu, Chekov were great. The rest of the crew were the rest of the crew. Just the way I like it. The story is not very daunting on the mind with the usual formula of Captain James' hobby of putting his ship and crew in harm's way. 8/10