The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Avengers: Age of Ultron

8.5/10

Well it's here at long last, the sequel to one of the biggest superhero franchises we've ever seen, and it definitely lives up to the hype.

I'll avoid spoilers with this review as most people haven't gotten a chance to see it yet.

The movie opens with a huge action set piece, that was extremely well done and reminded me a lot of of centerspread comic panels, there's a lot of things going on all at the same time, but Whedon executed it well so you get to take in all the action and not be overwhelmed. Also, no shaky cam in this one, all the action in Age of Ultron is well shot so you don't miss it, unlike the dark knight you won't get dizzy watching the fight scenes.

It's wall to wall action and you won't notice the 2.5 hour running time, all the main characters have their own different moments in the spotlight, unlike the Xmen movies where it's more like Wolverine and Friends. AoU gives the audience different peeks into the motivations and past of each character that either explains a plot point, or foreshadows bigger things happening in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It was very well acted by the entire main cast standouts were Ruffalo, and Jeremy Renner. Goes to show that you can make a fun movie without sacrificing the craft.

When the movie started I was a little underwhelmed, it was nice and all but it wasn't something that I haven't seen, unlike the first Avengers (or the first Iron Man) everything was new so you had this sense of awe at seeing things for the first time. This movie had none of that for me, BUT as the movie rolled on right into the end and up to the mid-credits bonus scene, it dawned on me, Marvel is doing it right.

The movie made gave me a slight grasp at exactly how big Marvel/Disney was going with the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe. It gave me the feeling that this will be the franchise that will trump Star Wars in its enormity. Everything that Marvel Studios has done in the past, starts to get tied up pretty neatly with AoU. They have references to previous movies, and foreshadows everything to come in the future, most notably Captain America: Civil War (2016) and Avengers: Infinity War (2018). That's the biggest thing that I took away from this movie, it's an abject lesson on how to build an entire cinematic universe. They even solved the real world problem of actor's contracts ending, with AoU.

anyway some specifics:

- it's action packed, the set pieces are grand and epic

- superpowers and powersets are faithful to the comics and depicted well

- great performances from the cast

- packed with one liners (if you're a Joss Whedon fan, then you'll love it, if not then you'll roll your eyes a lot)

go see it and like me be excited for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. DC/Warner should be taking note. This blows away anything they have dead in the water, yes even Superman vs. Batman.

very nice review on Avengers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kid Kulafu

My initial reaction when this came out, was "Oh hell no! not another Pacquiao biopic!". And I have to say it the first Pacquiao biopic starring Jehrico Rosales sucked big time. Im my review for that film, I said that any attempt to make a Pacquiao bipoic at present is just simply doomed to fail. Primarily because Pacquiao is at the height of his fame. They would rather watch the real Pacquiao in youtube than pay for a ticket to see some matinee idol play him. That movie was just poorly written, the set designs looked really cheap. None of the casts were believable as the characters they portrayed (Jehrico Rosales was just struggling and failing miserably to pull of a bisaya accent), and most of all the movie wanted to be your average John Lloyd-Bea kilig flick.

However after seeing this one, I was really happy that the director proved me wrong. I do not know if this movie will do good in the box office, but all I can say is that the movie overall was pretty good. It was focused on Manny's childhood. Its always good when a biopic is focused on something rather than trying to juggle too many things. The casting was perfect. They could not have picked a better actor to play the young Manny Pacquiao. I really also liked how meticulous the director was about details.

Lahat ng artista dito talagang mukhang gusgusin. Pati yung mga bata talagang uhugin. Di kagaya dun sa isa na taga bukid pero ang kinis kinis ng balat. Tsaka yung camera shots angle at cinematography talagang nakaset sya ng tamang mood para maramdaman mo kung pano sa loob ng bahay nila Pacquiao noon. Na walang kutson na mahigaan, at ang dilimdilim ng bombilla. Kahit yung boxing gym, kitang kita mo na madilim din, marumi, at alam mong mabaho ang amoy kasi daming pinagpapawisan.

This is not one of those movies that wanted to be a vehicle for that Proud to be pinoy nonsense. This is a character study. How does a whimpy kid in such hopeless conditions turn out to be the ring warrior that he is. All in all I really liked this one. You don't need to know who Manny Pacquiao is to enjoy this movie.

• Like (+1) 1

The worst talaga ang Pridyider. Walang kalatoy-latoy ang pagsulat ng script. Example na lang, kinain ng pridyider ang ex boyfriend ng lead. Kaya dapat ma-shock siya at matraumatize, pero instead siya ay nakipag date. Tapos bumalik sa bahay na parang walang nangyari! Anong klase yan? Nasayang ang isa at kalahating oras ng buhay ko!

http://philippinesthesickmanofasia.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/pridyider-movie-review-isat-kalahating.html

Kid Kulafu

My initial reaction when this came out, was "Oh hell no! not another Pacquiao biopic!". And I have to say it the first Pacquiao biopic starring Jehrico Rosales sucked big time. Im my review for that film, I said that any attempt to make a Pacquiao bipoic at present is just simply doomed to fail. Primarily because Pacquiao is at the height of his fame. They would rather watch the real Pacquiao in youtube than pay for a ticket to see some matinee idol play him. That movie was just poorly written, the set designs looked really cheap. None of the casts were believable as the characters they portrayed (Jehrico Rosales was just struggling and failing miserably to pull of a bisaya accent), and most of all the movie wanted to be your average John Lloyd-Bea kilig flick.

However after seeing this one, I was really happy that the director proved me wrong. I do not know if this movie will do good in the box office, but all I can say is that the movie overall was pretty good. It was focused on Manny's childhood. Its always good when a biopic is focused on something rather than trying to juggle too many things. The casting was perfect. They could not have picked a better actor to play the young Manny Pacquiao. I really also liked how meticulous the director was about details.

Lahat ng artista dito talagang mukhang gusgusin. Pati yung mga bata talagang uhugin. Di kagaya dun sa isa na taga bukid pero ang kinis kinis ng balat. Tsaka yung camera shots angle at cinematography talagang nakaset sya ng tamang mood para maramdaman mo kung pano sa loob ng bahay nila Pacquiao noon. Na walang kutson na mahigaan, at ang dilimdilim ng bombilla. Kahit yung boxing gym, kitang kita mo na madilim din, marumi, at alam mong mabaho ang amoy kasi daming pinagpapawisan.

This is not one of those movies that wanted to be a vehicle for that Proud to be pinoy nonsense. This is a character study. How does a whimpy kid in such hopeless conditions turn out to be the ring warrior that he is. All in all I really liked this one. You don't need to know who Manny Pacquiao is to enjoy this movie.

I also liked how this film genuinely delivered and portrayed manny's roots. Instead of making use of glamourous elements, ginamitan ng indie cinematography kaya ramdam mo yung honest to goodness na pagka-simula ng character ni pacquiao as he was growing up. It focused well on how he started and didn't even bother to touch up on his extravagant life as a pro, which is, a good thing kasi yun na lang ang lagi nating nakikita sa mainstream ngayon. Bagay lahat ng actors for their respective roles, even the kid who played manny's role looks much like him!

Of all the biopic about manny, dalawa lang nagustuhan ko - etong kid kulafu and yung isa na narrated ni liam neeson (unadulterated opinion about manny's exploits). The rest sucks.

I just watched "The last knights". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2493486/

Clive Owen and Morgan Freeman!

The concept was understandable, but one can get quite confused between what we know from history and this crazy fiction. Of course you need to make sure that from the start this is all Fiction.

Now the movie was shot really nicely, cinematography was nice, etc. but I felt that the plot was not that great, and by gosh they took their time in the middle of the movie to build up to the climax.

6/10 for me. I enjoyed watching it, at least I did not fall asleep (almost did though) but not going to be watching it again, at all.

I also liked how this film genuinely delivered and portrayed manny's roots. Instead of making use of glamourous elements, ginamitan ng indie cinematography kaya ramdam mo yung honest to goodness na pagka-simula ng character ni pacquiao as he was growing up. It focused well on how he started and didn't even bother to touch up on his extravagant life as a pro, which is, a good thing kasi yun na lang ang lagi nating nakikita sa mainstream ngayon. Bagay lahat ng actors for their respective roles, even the kid who played manny's role looks much like him!

Of all the biopic about manny, dalawa lang nagustuhan ko - etong kid kulafu and yung isa na narrated ni liam neeson (unadulterated opinion about manny's exploits). The rest sucks.

Ok talaga yung idea na itutuk lang yung story dun sa childhood ni Manny. That way, mas madali nakagawa ng magandang script ang screenwritter ng movie na ito. Isipin mo kasi kung buong buhay ni Manny kwekwento mo, papano mo yun gagawing interesting lahat?

Sabi ko nga, character study ito. Pinapakita dito sa kwento na yung tapang at galing ni Manny sa pakikipagbasagan ng mukha hindi nangagaling sa pagiging bayolente nya. In fact, pinakita dito violence is around him. He grew up in a rebel infested area, he gets bullied etc. Nangagaling yung lakas at tapang nung character dahil sa hirap ng buhay nya noon. And I really liked that

I just watched "The last knights". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2493486/

Clive Owen and Morgan Freeman!

The concept was understandable, but one can get quite confused between what we know from history and this crazy fiction. Of course you need to make sure that from the start this is all Fiction.

Now the movie was shot really nicely, cinematography was nice, etc. but I felt that the plot was not that great, and by gosh they took their time in the middle of the movie to build up to the climax.

6/10 for me. I enjoyed watching it, at least I did not fall asleep (almost did though) but not going to be watching it again, at all.

sayang naman si clive owen parang ang pangit na ng mga film choices na nabibigay sa kanya.

done with Funny Games (1997). 7/10

movie about 2 psychos trying to play sadistic games on a family of three.

I loved the psychological thrill and the atmosphere. wala masyadong gore or cheap scares, pure psychological. ang ganda ng flow at narration. slow pace siya as in at weak ng ending imo. bihira lang ang movies na nagbreak ng 4th wall. it's not for everyone but I liked it

Musta naman ang PARK???

Review on Jurassic World

Rating: 8.5/10

A. Highs

> New dinosaur villain Indominous Rex is a must see

> Better visual effects than its predecessors resulting to dinosaurs look and feel more "real"

> Even the park looks realistic that you may think it can exist in this world

> Very good cast ensemble, SPOILER: 2 Marvel Universe Artist are part of the cast

> Non-stop action and nail-biting suspense

B. Lows

> The story is very simple and predictable (maybe so that young viewers can easily relate and understand)

> Flying dinosaurs are not as good as the previous movies (my bad for comparing)

> Very recognizable plot holes (Specially on why Chris Pratt needs to train the raptors in the first place if he don't believe they can be used as weapons?)

> I wish they had injected some humor considering they also target young audiences (kids) and not just terrify them whenever the I-Rex is shown on the screen

C. Highlights

> The T-Rex and Indominous Rex fight was the Biggest Scene (use 2 words - "WOW! ASTIG!")

> Unexpected ending of the above fight

> The Spielberg nod is good to see

> Raptors, raptors and raptors

All in all, of the 3 sequels, this movie is the most loyal and sincere in portraying the vision and idea of Spielberg when he created these Dinosaurs.

An eye candy and visual spectacle all age bracket will relate, enjoy and probably learn more about these creatures.

Best thing about this movie is: ANOTHER SEQUEL IS ABOUT TO COME

Edited by daphne loves derby

Terminator genisys is the best example on how to ruin a good franchise. T2 is still the best one for me.

I agree with you there. This movie was just doomed to stink. It may have some good action sequences but the original series offered something more than that. It was just never the same when its creator (James Cameron) left the franchise. T1 and T2 offered awesome action scenes, iconic characters, and a decent plot for a science fiction/pop corn movie. It revolved around the themes of Time paradoxes, destructive nature of men, how men tend to behave more like machines, that the road to hell is sometimes paved with good intentions. But most of all, the main crux of the original series is that we can change fate. The first terminator movie dealt with time paradox. 2 warriors were sent back in time. Kyle Reese would father the leader of the resistance John Connor, and the original terminator would provide the blueprint for the creation of skynet. In T2, the future was pretty much set because of those events. But eventually it was changed because of what was done in the present.

Here are some of the things wrong about Terminator Genisys

1. It f#&ks up the original time-line of the original plot. In fact every installment does and it keeps on getting worse. T2 completed the circle of the T2 story arc. There was no more room for continuation. Now we pointlessly explore possibilities like what if judgement day is inevitable? What if there was an alternate past, alternate timeline, alternate future, what if another terminator was sent back earlier to protect Sarah Connor as a child. Jeez, a lot of these guys just keep jumping through time again and again, why not just jump back to the time the nuclear bomb was invented? No nuclear war, no premise to start with.

2. It unnecessarily reveals what the dystopian future is. Part of the appeal of the original series is the enigma that the future had. Even in T2, we are not really sure if the future is indeed already set. Sometimes less is more. You give takeaway the enigma, it becomes less appealing. Now we know how terminators are manufactured, and who the hell cares what John Connor is doing in the future. The future John Connor is always supposed to be a mystery.

3. John Connor is now the main antagonist..... ok a cyborg John Connor. But wasn't John's destiny to save humanity and not destroy it? Future John Connor protects humanity by sending Reese and the T800 to protect his younger self. Past John Connor saves humanity by helping destroy skynet. Now we have him going after his mother. I mean, if John killed his mom, his future self wont exist, thus there will be no Cyborg John Connor, right? It just does not make any sense

4. Arnold is just too old to keep playing this character. Arnold will always be the T-800. No one can take that away from him. But he can't keep playing this character as an old man. remeber when we were kids and how we thought the terminator just looked so badass? In fact many people started going to the gym to look like Arnold. Think about it, Arnold still playing this at his age makes as much sense as Pacquiao still boxing in his late 60s. Do we really need to see an old and washed up Pacquiao still climbing up that ring?

^just to add, what i hated more about the film is that they keep re-telling the same lines they gave since the franchise began. Yung "I'll be back" was already delivered by arnie like twice already and yung iconic line din na "come with me if you want to live" have been mentioned thrice throughout the franchise. It's annoying to the point na hindi na bagay. Gumulo lang lalo ang kwento.

I sure as hell hope this one gives finality to the entire series for good.

^just to add, what i hated more about the film is that they keep re-telling the same lines they gave since the franchise began. Yung "I'll be back" was already delivered by arnie like twice already and yung iconic line din na "come with me if you want to live" have been mentioned thrice throughout the franchise. It's annoying to the point na hindi na bagay. Gumulo lang lalo ang kwento.

I sure as hell hope this one gives finality to the entire series for good.

Mukha ngang me sequel pa eh. And Im like do we really wanna see arnold still play the terminator kahit nasa wheelchair na sya?

Sure there are good action sequences here, but the thing about the original franchise is that it had an awesome mythology that goes into it. That myth is now bastardized with these pointless sequels. Not too many appreciate that T1 and T2 is a thinking mans movie. Kasi it shows na there is such a thing called fate. But at the same time, we can also change it. We are destructive creatures, as the T-800 tells john "It is within your nature to destroy yourselves". Which is true, tayo lang ang nilalang sa mundo na imbes tulungan natin yung survival ng species natin, nagpapatayan lang tayo. At the same time, us humans are also capable of compassion and self-sacrifice, and for that maybe we are not doomed. This was shown when Sarah at the last moment hesitated to pull the trigger as she was about to k*ll Myles Dyson (the creator of skynet), and eventually Myles sacrificing himself to prevent the dystopian future.

Tsaka ha! Umamin yung mga totoong fans dito, sino yung hindi maluha luha sa ending nung sinabi ng t-800 na "I know now why you cry, unfortunately its something I could never do".

Trivia.

Si Linda Hamilton (the one who played Sarah Connor) asawa ng Original creator na si James Cameron. Ang tsismis, nung nagdivorce sila, binenta ni Linda yung rights sa franchise na ito para asarin si James Cameron. lol.

In 3 years time babalik yung rights ng franchise kay James Cameron. So I don't know what he will do with it.