The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Guest Dwayne Sanchez.

A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES-- (Liam Neeson)

good thriller again by a brilliant actor! not your typically stereo-type story line...

3 stars in my book...2 thumbs up!

;)

not a good movie for me dry.gif

Just watched Interstellar last night and i give 4.5/5 or 9/10

Advice sa mga manonood, kung di kayo fan ng Nolan movies or space sci-fi opera, better read the internet for plot/storyline first before you watch this unless baka mag iba ang pagtanggap nio. Medyo mahirap i catch up, you need to watch it twice to dig deep to the movie story.

But easily this is one of the best sci-fi movie of all time..

Christopher Nolan at his best!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I Stay

Starring Chloe Grace Moretz (Hit Girl of Kick-Ass)

A movie adaptation of a popular book

Genre: Romance/Drama

Rating: 5/10

Its about a love story of contrasting personalities, a boy rocker who is starting to make it big with his band and a simple girl who came from a family of rockers also BUT is completely different and is in love (and pretty good) in playing the cello.

Acting wise - Fair

Plot - Very shallow and predictable

• 3 weeks later...

The Hobbit 3: The Battle of Five Armies

8.5/10

HIGHLIGHTS:

> First Middle Earth movie with less than 3 hours running time.

> Finally linked the hobbit series to the LOTR series through this movie

> A surprising look at Sauron was revealed (SPOILER ALERT)

> Legolas is AWESOME as always

Pros:

> Very good battle scenes, more detailed than previous LOTR war scenes.

> Element of love was finally showcased in this movie

> Running time is just enough for the entire movie will become so boring if extended like the others

> More bizarre characters presented (specially on the orc side)

> With more humor injected than Jackson's previous middle earth movies

Cons:

> The war scene gets tiring to watch at some point

> (SPOILER ALERT) The Thorin mental drama is less effective and predictable

> Gandalf looked weaker during the war vs the orc's considering the fight he gave sauron on the 2nd movie

> Very simple ending (un climactic)

> Non-convincing defeat of the Orcs (considering their very large army)

Edited by daphne loves derby

The Hobbit 3: The Battle of Five Armies

8.5/10

HIGHLIGHTS:

> First Middle Earth movie with less than 3 hours running time.

> Finally linked the hobbit series to the LOTR series through this movie

> A surprising look at Sauron was revealed (SPOILER ALERT)

> Legolas is AWESOME as always

Pros:

> Very good battle scenes, more detailed than previous LOTR war scenes.

> Element of love was finally showcased in this movie

> Running time is just enough for the entire movie will become so boring if extended like the others

> More bizarre characters presented (specially on the orc side)

> With more humor injected than Jackson's previous middle earth movies

Cons:

> The war scene gets tiring to watch at some point

> (SPOILER ALERT) The Thorin mental drama is less effective and predictable

> Gandalf looked weaker during the war vs the orc's considering the fight he gave sauron on the 2nd movie

> Very simple ending (un climactic)

> Non-convincing defeat of the Orcs (considering their very large army)

nice review sir. Cant wait to watch the movie

• 2 weeks later...

^if you want good pinoy movies na maayos ang kwento then go see pisay, ilo ilo, metro manila at ibang indie movies - sulit na sulit bec of the acting and story-telling alone. Yung tipong worth keeping talaga even for future watching. As much as possible I avoid the mainstream ones lalo na yung mga MMFF kasi yun yung mga mabababaw at talagang pang-libangan lang talaga - not that I'm ridiculing or discrediting them, sure they are good in their own right pero kasi nakaka-bobo lang panoorin; I'm sure I'm not the only that sees this.

Pansin ko pa, pinoy movies that were directed or written by foreign outlets are usually the good ones, pag pinoy directors laging predictable and sticks with the same format which the producers and networks know na kikita sila. Expected mo na yung slapstick humor, tapos konting sampalan, romcom formula of "you and me against the world" ang tema, agawan ng kabit at syempre, hindi mawawala ang song/dance sequences.

At bago pa may mag-react or kumontra sa mga nasabi ko, IMHO lang naman po ito at sa huli, mauuwi pa rin sa kanya-kanyang taste yan. :rolleyes:

Edited by glut_func
  • Like (+1) 1

Para pala hindi ako OT, just watched "The judge" starring robert downey Jr., bagay sa kanya ang lawyer role as his witty lines suits his character as always. I won't say much about the story but it is definitely engaging. (Good)

The Interview - I found the humor in this one to be crass and shallow, definitely not worth the hype. Too much publicity was put into this one pero it just leaves a bad taste. Save yourself the trouble and just stream this one, don't bother going out to see this in theaters para di sayang sa pamasahe at oras.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fast and Furious 7

Rating: 4.5/5

Highlights:

> As seen on the trailers, the car aerial drops are one of the best stunts ever attempted on an action movie

> Paul walkers daring bus stunt (in which reportedly made by him before his death) is the main action highlight

> The ending in which everyone really wanted to see on how they will let go/retire of Paul's character

> Street fight (fist to fist) battle between Statham and the Rock and Statham and Diesel

> (SPOILER) Abu dhabi car jump scene is very unique

Pros;

> as always, fast and gorgeous cars with sexy grinding babes on the side is an eye candy

> Walkers CGI genius is almost unnoticeable

> The story is very true to its roots starting from the earliest to the last installment

> Glass cutting humor even in a highly intense car stunt scenes (Roman is the man!)

> action scenes of Justin Wan has its own intensity and style

Cons;

> Somewhat at a point in time, you think that almost all of its franchise story trend is the same

> The story is somewhat surprisingly focused on a technological weapon and the "revenge" plot just became a side dish to a unexpected meal

> Kurt Rusell's absence on the later part of the movie is confusing considering of how he was introduced and how his relationship to Dom was build up.

All in all, what matters is most how they parted with Walker's character and IMHO, they couldn't have done better. It is the best way to say goodbye to a very well loved character in this movie franchise.

Fast and Furious 7

Wow who would have thought that the franchise would evolve into this. From street racing to an espionage movie with cars. I wont be surprised if by the 8th installment it would be a superhero movie like the Avengers. But who cares when you are just having so much fun and there is always something new to show in every installment. The success of the fast and the furious franchise can be attributed to the novelty each installment has to offer. From the cool drift racing scenes, to the addition of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in the roster of cast, to cars battling armored tanks in Europe, and now cars jumping off planes with a parachute. Say what you want, more and more the creators of this keep violating any laws there are in physics but like I said, who cares when its just so much fun.

So having said all that, dont expect to walk into the theater expecting a logical plot, or realistic stunts. All the silliness is fun to watch. This movie is just non-stop action action action. And everything just looks so cool. From the fight scenes, to the car sequences, to the LA climax scenes. I loved everyone in this movie. Every character is interesting. Jason Statham is the best villain so far in the franchise. The opening scene establishes just how much of a badass he is. Im also glad they included Tony Jaa in the roster. His fight scenes with paul are all awesome to watch.

See its surprising that from illegal street racers, the crew has evolved so much that now they seem to be trained well enough to handle mercenaries with special forces training. 14 years ago, it was all just about car sequences but now we got the complete package to make it a consumate action movie. You want tough guys to root for? Check! You want awesome villains? Check! Car sequences? uh Duh! Fight Scenes? Yep! Shoot-outs? Oh yes! Special effects? Uhuh!

I also liked how they delicately handled Pauls departure from the series. The main problem I had was I couldnt help but attempt to over and over again keep spotting which is the real Paul and the CGI Paul. I am familiar with the production history of this movie so I kinda knew where to expect a CGI Paul appearing, or at least a standin. But all in all, it was handled quite well, you wont notice that his face was digitally pasted on a stand-in if you are not really paying so much attention. The rewrites were also craftily done. It perfectly established that the character has to depart from the series, and that this movie is basically saying goodbye to its most beloved character.

Avengers: Age of Ultron

8.5/10

Well it's here at long last, the sequel to one of the biggest superhero franchises we've ever seen, and it definitely lives up to the hype.

I'll avoid spoilers with this review as most people haven't gotten a chance to see it yet.

The movie opens with a huge action set piece, that was extremely well done and reminded me a lot of of centerspread comic panels, there's a lot of things going on all at the same time, but Whedon executed it well so you get to take in all the action and not be overwhelmed. Also, no shaky cam in this one, all the action in Age of Ultron is well shot so you don't miss it, unlike the dark knight you won't get dizzy watching the fight scenes.

It's wall to wall action and you won't notice the 2.5 hour running time, all the main characters have their own different moments in the spotlight, unlike the Xmen movies where it's more like Wolverine and Friends. AoU gives the audience different peeks into the motivations and past of each character that either explains a plot point, or foreshadows bigger things happening in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It was very well acted by the entire main cast standouts were Ruffalo, and Jeremy Renner. Goes to show that you can make a fun movie without sacrificing the craft.

When the movie started I was a little underwhelmed, it was nice and all but it wasn't something that I haven't seen, unlike the first Avengers (or the first Iron Man) everything was new so you had this sense of awe at seeing things for the first time. This movie had none of that for me, BUT as the movie rolled on right into the end and up to the mid-credits bonus scene, it dawned on me, Marvel is doing it right.

The movie made gave me a slight grasp at exactly how big Marvel/Disney was going with the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe. It gave me the feeling that this will be the franchise that will trump Star Wars in its enormity. Everything that Marvel Studios has done in the past, starts to get tied up pretty neatly with AoU. They have references to previous movies, and foreshadows everything to come in the future, most notably Captain America: Civil War (2016) and Avengers: Infinity War (2018). That's the biggest thing that I took away from this movie, it's an abject lesson on how to build an entire cinematic universe. They even solved the real world problem of actor's contracts ending, with AoU.

anyway some specifics:

- it's action packed, the set pieces are grand and epic

- superpowers and powersets are faithful to the comics and depicted well

- great performances from the cast

- packed with one liners (if you're a Joss Whedon fan, then you'll love it, if not then you'll roll your eyes a lot)

go see it and like me be excited for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. DC/Warner should be taking note. This blows away anything they have dead in the water, yes even Superman vs. Batman.