The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Dark knight the movie

SPOILER ALERT!!!!----------------------------------------------------------------

if you watched the movie just to see the following

1. gadgets (the gun with the LED lights)

2.batmobile

3.the flying BAT

4.catwoman

5.wanting to see if bane will get bigger if he presses the button (because you saw Batman and Robin)

then you have my permission to skip this post, you might be disappointed...oh, and im not well versed with the batman genre so correct me if im wrong,

The movie do start slow, very slow. kasi they are introducing all the characters. the plot itself is so complicated kasi they really wanted to end the franchise well. knowing the characters well have a very big effect on the latter part of the movie (if you know what i mean).

take note that the recent batman franchise tries to show you what will it be like if batman exists in our world. its the same overhaul made in the comics. from the "Holy smokes Batman!" comics to the darker version that we love today.so this is as close that we can get to the real one

Bane: not the best actor i agree. hands down Heath Ledger as the joker pa rin ang best villain. sa dark knight rises, Bane, hindi masyadong theatrics.body gestures are not that appealing. kulang sa galaw, bakit?comparing it with joker, si joker wants to have fun while doing it. joker also convinces people to do what he wants. he knows his weakness, which is he is physically weak. but for bane, he has the strength and the mind to do what he wants.no need for theatrics. if you dont agree with him, then you die, as simple as that.

as for the voice of bane, yup, malabo. but not if you watch it in Imax or a high end cinema :P

the slow introduction is needed because it is in line with the theme (this i got from IMDB, and it was very good). the theme for Dark night rises is simply PAIN. spiritual,emotional,psychological, and physical pain. batman had to endure all of them in order to rise.bane, and his friends (hahaha, will not spoil) are the only people who can deliver that pain.

if you have watched slasher movies na in the end e mapapa "ay, siya pala yung killer". those are the cheap plot twists.

----spoiler alert--- for dark night rises, mapapa "HA bakit mo ginawa yun?!!" . you feel like that person also betrayed you, why? kasi nga the characters were introduced very well. slowly but very well. nainvest na ang tiwala, galit,etc mo sa mga characters.

if ever you did not feel that, ok lang naman. may mga tao lang talaga na nanonood ng movie as an experience and as an appreciation of moving art, not as a past time.

Para sa akin, the ending part is not a foreshadowing of a fourth batman movie. this is how you close that franchise. sorry folks but sometimes end scenes like that do not mean na meron. this is not an avengers/xmen/fast furious movie.it is not open ended also. bottom line, its the proper way to end this franchise.if ever na meron ngang sunod na movie after noon, they have to surpass whatever bar the dark knight has set.and the bar was set really high.also, it might portray an image na they are milking the franchise. i for one am hesitant if i want to watch a sequel. lalo na kung iba ang director. kasi cris nolan gets the idea behind batman.na stamp na niya ang pangalan niya sa batman franchise.and Bale will be the real batman/bruce wayne just as iron man is robert downy jr,joker will be heath, and thor is the hemsworth guy (haha)

OVERALL

I can say for me that the DArk knight rises is the best batman movie ever made. this even extends to animated series.it is also the top movie for me. it scores a solid 10/10 and is a must watch lalo na kung napanood ninyo yung previous movies.the story is gripping, the pace is proper, the plot is complex enough to tickle the mind and smacks you at the exact moment, the villains are realistic, and the mood is appropriate.

It is a must watch (kailangan ko pa bang sabihin yun?hahaha) for everyone lalo na sa batman fans (alam ko madami kayong hinahanap lalo na yung back breaking at yung "crocs in the sewers" :P)

Dark Knight Rises, Best Movie Ever...

Edited by simplyeric
Sa pagkakaalala ko sa comics, si Robin (yung Dick Grayson na Robin) ang naging Batman nung "nawala" si Bruce Wayne.

kaya lang iniba nila yung pangalan nya dito.

alam natin na batman is bruce wayne

and original robin is dick grayson.

let's say na kahit iniba ang origin pero

hindi sana 100% inalis.

pwede naging orphan sya dahil namatay

parents nya from circus at at may nag-ampon

sa kanya na hindi si bruce.

binago pangalan then naging pulis sya

Edited by SoundWave
Dark knight the movie

OVERALL

I can say for me that the DArk knight rises is the best batman movie ever made. this even extends to animated series.it is also the top movie for me. it scores a solid 10/10 and is a must watch lalo na kung napanood ninyo yung previous movies.the story is gripping, the pace is proper, the plot is complex enough to tickle the mind and smacks you at the exact moment, the villains are realistic, and the mood is appropriate.

It is a must watch (kailangan ko pa bang sabihin yun?hahaha) for everyone lalo na sa batman fans (alam ko madami kayong hinahanap lalo na yung back breaking at yung "crocs in the sewers" :P)

Dark Knight Rises, Best Movie Ever...

good job, eric. this was everything an epic ending should be.

True to the theme na epic nga ito.there are only a handful of sequels na kayang maging ganito ang ending.kadalasan kasi nagiiwan ng option na may continuation para kumita pa ng pera,but sooner or later nagsasawa ang tao.

In this case,they ended with a bang.habang sikat na sikat pa.

kung makikita ninyo ang dark night rises,the director gave almost each supporting role a nod goodbye and a closure.madaming cameos ng previous alive characters.

And maganda ang write up ng imdb.in this movie,gotham showed that they dont need batman anymore.yung mga police,they stood up for themselves,the detective (too lazy to google),na soon to be new batman,hinarap yung gunfire sa bridge to save the children.the thief showed that she cares for the city and not just for herself. The coward chief of police ay nauna pa nung nag rally,namatay nga lang. This is the reason na kailanan nang iclose itong franchise na ito...

Magic Mike

Possible SPOILER WARNING -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skip this post if you dont want the movie to be spoiled in any way. kasi paminsan hindi ko namamalayan ang post ko.no hard feelings! :)

The movie is definitely a woman's movie for the eye candy. hahaha. pero story wise, medyo magulo ang presentation. although i get the idea na there is this veteran stripper and he is getting "old" for the job and wants to pursue his dream of having his own business, then there is this bum of a brother na walang direction sa buhay at kailangan pang alagaan ng ate.

the part where the lives of the two intersects, ok lang. pero somewhere along the line medyo naguluhan na ako kung kaninong movie ba talaga ito? i know na dapat may transition na si veteran e naghahanap na ng way to get out, and finds love along the way, tapos si bum-brother naman e ang papalit sa trono niya. pero medyo shady lang ang transition. yun lang naman

as for the dancing, they hired the actors from CSI miami,the guy from blue collar, and the other two i forgot kung saan. well one disapointing thing is yung lead actor lang ang marunong sumayaw. and i shows kasi ine-edit out nila yung part na magsasayaw na yung iba.nahahatak tuloy pababa yung galing ni magic mike. pero again, part of the movie to highlight that he is the great.lalo na yung nag solo siya without showing his abs or butt na pure dance lang. sana lang kung si bum-brother e papalit sa trono ni veteran, galing galingan naman niya ang sayaw or ipakita na hindi lang siya face value. hahahaha.

again for the eye candy, ladies, madaming ass shots at abs shots sa movie na ito so ayun, enjoy!

for the acting, good acting from channing tatum and channing tatum ang matthew mcconaughey (i had to google this for the name and spelling,hindi ako magaling sa parehas, haha). starting with matthew, believable ang acting na this is his business. he owns this and he wants this. stripper turned business owner. as for channing. very much appreciated ang natural delivery niya ng lines everytime na meron siyang comedy-love story na movie (same acting he did with the movie "the vow" and "step up", come to think of it, that is the only acting he has pag romantic comedy,hahahha)

channing delivers a different way of acting kapag drama and comedy. well as of now it might not win him any major award aside from MTV awards, pero it shows that this is what the younger generation feels, parang ang acting niya ay :"this is me when given that situation,go get a camera and make a movie out of it"

as for the girl (cody horn, again, had to google). same vibe as channing. natural delivery. like recording someone off the street. she is not that hot as olivia munn (oh olivia, no need to google), pero its part of the story. magic mike wants to have a real girl, one that sees him as mike, not magic mike.

as for olivia, the hotness is there. the role i get na girl wants to have fun on the side while still having a straight arrow fiance. pero her character's presentation in the movie is too short to get to know her na parang mapapa "who the f* was that?gf ba yun?kapatid?fling fling?bakit pasulpot sulpot?pag fubu iba ang portrayal"

OVERALL

i think the movie was so-so borderline average. a movie na pwedeng hintayin nalang sa DVD and panooring pag walang ginagawa.it is a filler movie for me, one we watch to cleanse the palate in anticipation for the dark knight :P but the movie is of course still fascinating and of course fun to watch. good thing walang Magic Mike 3D!hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Bourne Legacy

SPOILER ALERT----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the infamous Manila chase schene. sa tingin ko 90% ng nanood ay ito ang hinihintay. well honestly ako din.hahaha. mamaya tayo babalik dito

First thing i love about this film as compared to the previous ay yung camera shots. hindi na yung shaky guerrilla style. nakakahilo kasi

This film gives you an idea on how far the blackbriar has come(tama ba yung project na iniisip ko). the main protagonist (too lazy to google) is so bad ass na dapat ito yung kasama as a newbie sa expendables 2 (f*ck off helmsworth, we dont need a pretty boy in that film).

as for the story telling, kailangan talaga pinanood mo yung previous films para maintindihan, medyo napabilis yung mga opening scenes na parang "teka, bakit kailangan pumatay?ano yung urgency?" (although alam na naman natin kung bakit, pero it would have been nice to have a short background on the current situation)

the action was great. shows how an efficient killer operates.mapapa dalawang isip ka kung sino ang papaniwalaan. as an audience, nararamdaman mo yung paranoia na baka killer mo na yung malapit sa iyo...

chase sequence are believable, why?it shows how indestructible a jeepney is?hahaha!!!

as for the manila shots.i was impressed in the depiction. gritty, traffic,urban,dirty. the police are fat.hahaha

but one question i asked myself, if i was a white (sorry for the racist comment) assassin, why would i want to go to a place where i will truly stand out?ang puti puti ko at matangkad and i dont see anyone who look like me within that area!the answer for me is simple. they chose that area because it is a slum area. money matters.no questions asked. like the "pharmacy" selling medicine to anyone without perscription and not giving a f*ck who bought them.

i liked the acting of rachel weisz during the pharmacy scene was impressive.nodding to the woman as if she understood what she said,screaming like hell ala the mummy returns (rrrrriiiiiiiicccccckkkkk!!!!)

nanghinayang lang ako dun sa uber assassin na pinadala (SPOILER ALERT)-----------------------kasi sabi ganun daw kagaling, sana man lang may hand to hand fight sila sa rooftop somewhere to show how good he really is.and how he died, :P , as in ok.ganun pala yun...

As for the filipino acting. hands down SUPER IMPRESSED. just a few seconds of movie exposure and i can tell what the character is.what he is thinking at that time. Comparing to other asian films and american films, when the bystanders get disturbed, they just give a facial expression of shock and anger, then the they are forgotten in that instant. as for the filipino actors. the face tells all!lou veloso's eyes, grabe. i have not seen any foreign actor do that in any other film. all i can say is the story is in his face,his eyes. yun lang ang kaya kong sabihin. the american film industry has been exposed to true acting!filipino acting!

OVERALL. the movie is above average say 6 or 7 out of ten. a must watch for the curious.again, i suggest you keep up sa intro ng movie kasi masyadong mabilis ang pacing..

• Like (+1) 1

Step Up Revolution

SPOILER ALERT----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK honestly the step up franchise is one of my movie franchise guilty pleasures, the others are,Alien franchise,Predator franchise,fast and the furious.. no matter how cheesy these movies are, i will always watch them.

on with the featured movie step up. Reminder when watching dance movies, any type of dance movie. the actors, they were dancers first,actors second. so dont expect an oscar award winning performance from them (mapapansin mo ito sa umpisa pa lang dun sa acting nung kulot na lalake na may hawak ng camera.kunwari e na shock na makita ang mga friend...VIACH!!!they have not yet got the "Oh great, you are here!" acting..)

the Step Up Revolution revolves around the MOB flash where large group of people perform elaborate dance routine in public.The story line is still the same as the previous film SPOILER ALERT ------------they use dance as a way to save a particular place from being taken over by either a bank or in this case, a big hotel owner.The movie also has the same theme of going against the normal flow (a.e. getting a 9~5 job).so for the story, dont expect it to be great.

as for the dance, oh hoho!!! they freaking deliver!stunning visuals that make you wonder if these guys are really that poor (where do they get the money for those props,they have a day job but im not sure if that covers all!!!)

and of course, MOOSE MOOSE MOOSE!!!why the hell not!!!also one of the reason i watched.(though the segment is short).this film reunites some of the characters from the previous film (the asian chick, the robot man, the flea guy).

and for those who know a bit about the dance world or those who watch America's Best Dance Crew, you will see some familiar faces like the squiggly guy from I AM Me, i think the asian dude and the chick with the little bit of red in the hair is also from an ABDC dance crew.my only comment is, where the F*ck are the Quest Crew?(i googled it and there were a lot of abdc and so you think you can dance veterans in the film)

OVERALL

as always, the step up revolution stepped up the dance moves a notch.very fun to watch for the dance. again, dont expect an oscar winning acting and storyline. I give it a 6.5 out of 10. I wish they would make a final Step up movie bringing together ALL the step up main characters and crew for one EPIC DANCE MOVIE to end it all (if that happens, i assure you that its a 7 or up,MOOSE MOOSE MOOSE!!!)

the healing

after hearing that it was apparently better than feng shui, I had to check it out myself. it was it was a great local horror flick. the anticipation, acting by most characters and the sound effects was done well. very final destination-ish. nevertheless, it was good.

Expendables 2

Spoiler alert --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The movie is great if you have watched at least three movies each from the veteran action movie actors, stallone,willis,norris,arnold (too damn lazy to google the last name). three movies because by then you have already picked up the signature move/dialogue/saying from them

Expendables 2 is the culmination of all the cornerstones of american action movie. all the aspects were there, set in modern time. its like they want us to remember the good old days of action movie.plus they want to teach and pass the torch to the upcoming action movie actors. kung mapapansin nyo kasi, nagiba na ang timpla ng action movies ngayon, gritty,semi realistic,more on flair. dati kasi destruction and blooooddd!

what i love about this is they emphasize yung mga signatures ng mga veteran actors, the "Ill be backs", "yippe kayeys",the "one magazine versus a battalion and a tank", the shooting from the hip while walking. its all there!meron pa ngang chuck norris joke na isinama!PRICELESS!!!sayang wala nga lang yung shooting two machine guns at the same time...

my first gripe is the helmsworth guy. SPOILER ALERT--------------------skip this part if you hate spoilers.although i got the point of it all.and.him.being.a.sacrificial.lamb.

second complain: SPOILER ALERT--------------------------------------------------------------not.enough.Li.i need my martial arts!

third complain: the roster is not complete!!where is steven seagul,cynthia rothrock,not even cynthia luster!!!i wish the guy form ong bak was there and the girl from the movie chocolate

fourth complain : SPOILER ALERT-------------------------------------------------------------i dont want van damme to be the antagonist, but still he was great in this film. and the round house kick, YEAH!!!i was hoping to see the split he did before.but mayb e he cannot do it now...

OVERALL

This movie is great! 8/10 in my book.there were too much testosterone that the seats got receding hair line and grew a full beard!recommended for those who have lived during the 90s.for the guys, its a must watch. for the girls, well, we sat through "the vow",sarah G's movies, so just watch it with the guys :P

TOTAL RECALL

SPOILER ALERT!!!!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so this i a remake of the arnold schw-aekhkjmg-neger film (tulad ng kanta, uso na ang remake kasi wala na silang maisip na bago).

To make the movie review short. for me, its a little bland for my taste. I am a big fan of sci-fi movies pero this one strikes me as freakishly ordinary.siguro kasi the bar for me was set really high na kapag westers (american) sci-fi action meron dapat high tech stuff (the robots were like the I Am Robot.although the fall and the rope gun was cool), dapat din ang fight scenes at mala-equilibrium gun kata or even yung fight scenes sa Borne series,Taken,or transporter. at dapat yung chase sequence may parkour.unfortunately this film has non of it so wala masyadong special about it.

the story was straight forward (well the original "twist" ay na spoil na kasi remake nga ito)

OVERALL

the movie can be summed up into one expression: "meh!.." .it rates a 4.5/10 for me kasi the film is too "ordinary" that i even forgot how it ended!(honestly my gf and i watched it last sunday lang, and i forgot the ending the next day). it would have been higher if it was not a remake kasi the twist is there.i only watched it because of kate beckinsale (she is smokin' hot sa mga action movies thanks to the underworld series...) and the three boob chick.

mga pogi at ganda,,, maganda ba ang TOTAL RECALL,, naway lalo pa kayo gumanda at pumogi,,,,

It's somewhat late (and I hope simplyeric doesn't mind me stepping on his toes) but here goes:

This movie is VERY Kurt Wimmer (he's the producer). It has:

-a dystopian setting and scenery

-car and foot chases

-martial arts (very little gun kata in this film, though)

-beautiful selection of firearms

-strong women

It also has Wimmer's half-baked screenplay and a poor grasp of science.

As a remake, it has several nods to the first film, with mixed results. It only dimly resmbles the Phillip K. Dick short story. Verhoeven's original does a better (though inaduequate) job of conveying uncertainty over subjective perceptions versus objective reality (as does Inception).

Pros: Beatiful city shots, especially during the chases and establishing shots. They look like something out of a John Berkey painting. Cool robots, costumes, firearms and vehicles, too. Kurt Wimmer has a golden touch when it comes to visual design. The chase scenes were exciting and add a few twists to the formula, but nothing that raises the bar.

Cons: Screenplay is weak. Too many of the "talking head" scenes were just not intense enough. A central element to the story is scientifically inaccurate and may annoy you while seeing it onscreen. Some action scenes were too dark or confusing.

This is worth watching for the 2D ticket price. This film is comparable to The Island, Immortal (AD Vitam), Minority Report, Paycheck and, of course, the original Total Recall.

In my opinion a 7/10.

I can follow-up this post with more specific details, but they'd be spoilers na :)

It's somewhat late (and I hope simplyeric doesn't mind me stepping on his toes) but here goes:

This movie is VERY Kurt Wimmer (he's the producer). It has:

-a dystopian setting and scenery

-car and foot chases

-martial arts (very little gun kata in this film, though)

-beautiful selection of firearms

-strong women

It also has Wimmer's half-baked screenplay and a poor grasp of science.

As a remake, it has several nods to the first film, with mixed results. It only dimly resmbles the Phillip K. Dick short story. Verhoeven's original does a better (though inaduequate) job of conveying uncertainty over subjective perceptions versus objective reality (as does Inception).

Pros: Beatiful city shots, especially during the chases and establishing shots. They look like something out of a John Berkey painting. Cool robots, costumes, firearms and vehicles, too. Kurt Wimmer has a golden touch when it comes to visual design. The chase scenes were exciting and add a few twists to the formula, but nothing that raises the bar.

Cons: Screenplay is weak. Too many of the "talking head" scenes were just not intense enough. A central element to the story is scientifically inaccurate and may annoy you while seeing it onscreen. Some action scenes were too dark or confusing.

This is worth watching for the 2D ticket price. This film is comparable to The Island, Immortal (AD Vitam), Minority Report, Paycheck and, of course, the original Total Recall.

In my opinion a 7/10.

I can follow-up this post with more specific details, but they'd be spoilers na :)

no problem! mas maganda ang mas madaming review. kahit na mag conflict ang mga review ok lang, ang mag benefit ay ang mga manonood pa lang. (sorry for the reply, alam ko movie review lang ito. dont worry, may review ako after nito :) )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sinister

the film was creepy. it focused on one character and his knack to be popular once again. very paranormal activity like in terms of the usage of filmed footages. a lot of questions though lingered in the end. overall a good horror flick.

so.... is it scary? Im having second thoughts of horror flicks nowadays, most of them disappoints me.

my friends were asking me to watch it.. heck I dont want to waste good money

so.... is it scary? Im having second thoughts of horror flicks nowadays, most of them disappoints me.

my friends were asking me to watch it.. heck I dont want to waste good money

if you scare easy like me, then it's scary. it involved some pretty gruesome images of people being killed so the part of it that wasn't supernatural, was disturbing. ethan hawke turned in a good performance, and was convincing as a self-absorbed, selfish writer more interested in resurrecting his career than in protecting his family.

though there are moments when the film succumbs to the usual horror flick cliches, overall it held its audience in suspense, and there were plenty of creepy moments to keep the audience invested in the protagonist's fate.

i'd give it 3 out 5 stars.

if you scare easy like me, then it's scary. it involved some pretty gruesome images of people being killed so the part of it that wasn't supernatural, was disturbing. ethan hawke turned in a good performance, and was convincing as a self-absorbed, selfish writer more interested in resurrecting his career than in protecting his family.

though there are moments when the film succumbs to the usual horror flick cliches, overall it held its audience in suspense, and there were plenty of creepy moments to keep the audience invested in the protagonist's fate.

i'd give it 3 out 5 stars.

thanks happy.gif

hmm ethan hawke is there?? mellow.gif maybe ill give it a try