The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched Real Steel yesterday at SM Megamall.. parang MRT na din pala entrance nila dun tongue.gif

Must say that its a good movie and a must-watch!

The movie runs for 2 hours but on its ending you'd think that it all happened so fast.. There's not much depth to the story here, its a robot version of Rocky Balboa but its basically the good on-screen chemistry of the actors, absence of dragging scenes and the good effects that carried the movie. Hugh Jackman plays as a down-and-out former boxer Charlie Kenton who has a ten-year-old son Max (Dakota Goya). The kid is very charismatic and has a very good scene wherein he and the robot is dancing prior to the fight. And their robot, Atom is BAD-ASS! Am not gonna squell the rest of the story and I must say that you better watch it yourself in the big screen since its worth every buck/penny that your gonna have to shell out cool.gif

• 1 month later...

J EDGAR

legendary great clint eastwood directs another masterpiece on of america's patriots of the 50s-80s-- fbi founder j edgar hoover played dramatically by equally great leonardo di carpio..

must-see for historians and biograpers...

am not surprised if piola este piolo would be seen watching this...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Underworld Awakening: not too shabby, good to see Kate Beckinsale in her shiny corset again kicking butt, but...it was pretty formulaic, the plot felt rushed. it's a good excuse for eating inordinate amounts of popcorn though you lose nothing by missing it. it's an ok date movie.

Coriolanus: NOT a popcorn movie. don't watch this expecting an action movie, it's Shakespeare in Bosnia or some dingy eastern European locale. the acting, especially by Vanessa Redgrave, is sheer talent and the movie gets less awkward towards the end. NOT a good date movie unless you're both english majors.

J EDGAR

legendary great clint eastwood directs another masterpiece on of america's patriots of the 50s-80s-- fbi founder j edgar hoover played dramatically by equally great leonardo di carpio..

must-see for historians and biograpers...

i thought the movie was engaging, and the story pretty fair to the man. hoover served under 8 different presidents, went after communist spies in government, pioneered the use of forensic laboratories to solve the lindbergh baby's kidnapping, made audio tapes of various political figures during their indiscretions (such as the married martin luther king having sex with a white woman), and had secret files on people (like eleanor roosevelt and jfk). maybe the script could have lent more humanity to such a driven historical figure, but there's still some fascinating history here that makes you want to read more about the life and times of j edgar.

• 3 weeks later...

SAFEHOUSE is overall an entertaining movie with big, strong action from start to finish. I recommend it.

Denzel Washington as an ex-CIA fugitive is his usual bankable self here and Ryan Reynolds as a rookie agent charged to look after Denzel's character holds his own against the veteran actor. Kinda nice to see Reynolds act in a worthwhile flick after the disappointing Green Lantern. The only complaint I have against the movie was the anti-CIA, anti-US mantras woven in the end which is really getting old. That and the Wikileaks-like scenario were unnecessary and a little weak.

Edited by dungeonbaby

Watched Johnny Blaze 2 last Tuesday and i must say that it's crappier than the first installment. The story line is weak and incoherent to say the least and the acting is lame even though its got some quality actors in it. The only positive thing i could say about the movie i guess is that the film was made for the 3-D experience and it usually has good camera angles and a European feel to it (shot there and its director I think is European). But if your looking for a value-for-money entertainment, this may not be it for you rolleyes.gif

Watched Johnny Blaze 2 last Tuesday and i must say that it's crappier than the first installment. The story line is weak and incoherent to say the least and the acting is lame even though its got some quality actors in it. The only positive thing i could say about the movie i guess is that the film was made for the 3-D experience and it usually has good camera angles and a European feel to it (shot there and its director I think is European). But if your looking for a value-for-money entertainment, this may not be it for you rolleyes.gif

I meant Ghost Rider 2:Spirit of Vengeance movie.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched John Carter last week pa ata.. it's a good movie and probably worth the buck you'll spend. I like the story and it's probably a good read since it was written far older than JR Tolkien or the Star Wars among others but was only made a film very recently.Meaning, mas original yong story and concept nya although it may not seem that new if you're not familiar with the book and you've only heard of if after watching the movie. This was said to be written by Edgar Rice Burrough and based from his 11-volume Barsoom series of novels (1912–43).The ending is kinda open-ended which makes you believe that a sequel might be in the offing. The pace of the movie is good, the effects are great also even though the acting is not top notch, it decent enough that you'd barely notice. Somehow it's a sci-fi love story and the lead actress is hot (Lynn Collins who portrays as the princess of Helium). It also has cool characters in a giant, four-armed Green Martian tribe known as Tharks and ruled by Jeddak (voiced by Willem Dafoe). They also provide some good comedic scenes that made the movie a worthy feel-good, stress-free movie cool.gif

Edited by Droidz1979
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched John Carter last week pa ata.. it's a good movie and probably worth the buck you'll spend. I like the story and it's probably a good read since it was written far older than JR Tolkien or the Star Wars among others but was only made a film very recently.Meaning, mas original yong story and concept nya although it may not seem that new if you're not familiar with the book and you've only heard of if after watching the movie. This was said to be written by Edgar Rice Burrough and based from his 11-volume Barsoom series of novels (1912–43).The ending is kinda open-ended which makes you believe that a sequel might be in the offing. The pace of the movie is good, the effects are great also even though the acting is not top notch, it decent enough that you'd barely notice. Somehow it's a sci-fi love story and the lead actress is hot (Lynn Collins who portrays as the princess of Helium). It also has cool characters in a giant, four-armed Green Martian tribe known as Tharks and ruled by Jeddak (voiced by Willem Dafoe). They also provide some good comedic scenes that made the movie a worthy feel-good, stress-free movie cool.gif

I watched John Carter last week and I found it better than what the US critics say. I just think Disney just didn't market it well.

@Droidz1979, I agree that the Martian princess was very hot, the special effects were very good, and the story had enough action, humor and romance to keep one entertained.

Additional Fact:

Edgar Rice Burrough is also the author of Tarzan.

Watched The Hunger Games the other day.. the movie was relatively good as compared to the hype. It's worth watching, its got a good story and the acting was good. Action was also relatively okay, realistic but not that hardcore. There's this one tear-jerky scene also which am not gonna divulge para di KJ pero i had some good laugh when I heard the girl seating beside me (not a companion or someone I know) having some difficulty trying to downplay/hide her tears rolleyes.gif It's a futuristic sci-fi movie that is again based from a book which I bet is probably a better read as compared to the movie itself (usually the case). Oh, Jennifer Lawrence is H-O-T also as Katniss Everdeen (lead actress) and Lenny Kravitz has a supporting role down here as Cinna (I thought it was spelled as sinner at first). At the start of the movie there's a scene or shall I say camera angle where you'd feel dizzy and am not sure if that scene was relevant at all for the movie in general. In conclusion I think its a good watch. You just don't expect too much or get carried away with the hype as it actually has substance, heart, humor and some action in-between.

@Hanz_ohm, thanks for the trivia cool.gif

Edited by Droidz1979
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...