Apple iPhone

the new ipod is sweet

True, but you won't see me rushing out of the door to grab one. I'd wait a year after a product hits the market before I grab myself a unit. The features and price would have stabalize by then.

I wouldn't want to be one of the poor saps (e.g. applefanboys) who'll be squealing with pain once Steve Job's makes another 'announcement' after buying apple's newest product.

Fanboys doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes. :lol:

The new iPod really is cool and I'll admit that it makes me want to make one but I'll wait a few months. :P

What's really disturbing about the iPhone is that Apple is already selling refurbished ones for a discount of $100. That makes one really speculate on the reliability of the iPhone. Are the customers bringing back their iPhones or doesn't the Apple employees want the free iPhone? :lol:

Apple Rolls Out Refurbished iPhones For $100 Less

post-31605-1189297937.jpg

Edited by brian

Hack Discovered to Enable Free iPhone Ringtones

Say goodbye to the $0.99 fee to make iPhone ringtones

It seems as though the good news continues to roll in for iPhone users. On Wednesday, Apple announced a $200 price cut for the 8GB iPhone and dropped the price on the 4GB model to $299 until supplies run out. Yesterday, Steve Jobs announced to the Apple faithful that those that purchased iPhones before the price drop would be given $100 of in-store credit to the Apple Store.

Today, there's even more good news to spread around concerning iPhone ringtones. Jobs announced on Wednesday that customers would be able to add ringtones to their iPhones for $0.99 -- this is in addition to the $0.99 price for downloading an iTunes music track.

This of course angered many people who felt that they were being charged twice to make a ringtone out of a song they already owned. Well, the aptly-named "Cleverboy" on the Mac Rumors forums has discovered a workaround for the $0.99 charge for a ringtone through iTunes.

Users simply need to duplicate and rename any AAC music file with the file extension "M4R". Next, double-click the file to add it to iTunes. Once in iTunes, the newly renamed M4R music file will show up as a ringtone under the "Ringtones" tab. Users can then sync their iPhone as usual and enjoy free ringtones.

According to Cleverboy, the hack works in both Windows and Mac versions of iTunes.

post-31605-1189298269.jpg

post-31605-1189298289.jpg

-- DailyTech

True, but you won't see me rushing out of the door to grab one. I'd wait a year after a product hits the market before I grab myself a unit. The features and price would have stabalize by then.

I wouldn't want to be one of the poor saps (e.g. applefanboys) who'll be squealing with pain once Steve Job's makes another 'announcement' after buying apple's newest product.

Your attitute about waiting a while for the tech and prices to stabilize is a prudent one.

On the other hand, having the price of a recently bought gadget fall from under you after your have made the purchase is not unique to Apple. Its just so obvious when the demand is so high.

How manh of you saps rushed out to buy a core duo computer and then discovered that the reason that it was priced lower than a pentium 4 cpu was because the core 2 duo as coming out?

How many rushed to buy a Nokia N95 when it was P48k? Guess how much it is now. That SE 990i used to cost upwards of P35k. Today, if a salesman is good and asks nicely, he might be able to get you to buy one for P18k. And what about the Motorola V3 that started selling at P32k? How much is a V3 now? P8k.

As for me, I'm glad Apple didn't sell the iPhone in the Philippines yet. It is so obvious that version one was made for the hokey US market.

Fanboys doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes. :lol:

The new iPod really is cool and I'll admit that it makes me want to make one but I'll wait a few months. :P

What's really disturbing about the iPhone is that Apple is already selling refurbished ones for a discount of $100. That makes one really speculate on the reliability of the iPhone. Are the customers bringing back their iPhones or doesn't the Apple employees want the free iPhone? :lol:

Apple Rolls Out Refurbished iPhones For $100 Less

post-31605-1189297937.jpg

Refurbs, whatever brand they are, ae brand new units that do not pass production quality checking on the first pass. These units are shunted back to a refurb or modification line where the spotted defect is corrected. Usually, the defects are cosmetic. certainly they will still have to work as advertised.

You can spot Apple refurbs because they are shipped to you in a plain brown box instead of the standard product packaging. This applies to Macs, Ipods, or iPhones. The price is lower because it is clear that you know you are not buying a 'first-pass' product. However, you can still buy AppleCare to cover maintenance of your refurb provided you buy it before its shortened warranty expires. If Apple knew they were selling refurbs with spotty quality, they would not accept AppleCare for it. So I hope.

Whatever Apple bashers say, I maintain that the price of an Apple product is worth it. Apple is a classy company that knows how to honor its product quality obligations. I know this from first hand experience.

Apple Products = All Form, No Substance. Until Apple finally releases a product that isn't designed to breakdown within six (6) months of purchase, I'm staying away from Apple products. In the span of one (1) year, I went through two (2) Ipod Videos and an Ipod Nano and all I have to show for it are fragged devices and a bloated credit card bill.

Apple Sells One Millionth iPhone

Monday September 10, 8:30 am ET

CUPERTINO, Calif., Sept. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® today announced it sold its one millionth iPhone yesterday, just 74 days after its introduction on June 29. iPhone combines three devices into one-a mobile phone, a widescreen iPod®, and the best mobile Internet device ever-all based on Apple's revolutionary multi-touch interface and pioneering software that allows users to control iPhone with just a tap, flick or pinch of their fingers.

"One million iPhones in 74 days-it took almost two years to achieve this milestone with iPod," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We can't wait to get this revolutionary product into the hands of even more customers this holiday sea- son."

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. To- day, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Ap- ple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market this year with its revolutionary iPhone.

I just got this from a place I bought my Sony Ericsson from a couple of years ago:

Unlocked 8GB iPhone

They're reputable.

It doesn't say how it was unlocked, whether through the hardware hack or the SIM/Software hack but I think it was done through the software hack since they warn:

"Please note we can only guarantee the unlocking for as long as you don't upgrade your version of firmware from Apple."

It was just a matter of time.

:goatee:

I just got this from a place I bought my Sony Ericsson from a couple of years ago:

This should read: "I just got an e-mail with this link from a place I bought my Sony Ericsson from a couple of years ago"

Yeah, I tried to edit the original post but the server choked and hung.

:goatee:

Edited by Riot6

I got to play around with an iPhone at a local AT&T store not too long ago. My overall impression with the device is similar to what most people here think, that it's actually a whole lot of NOTHING. The only feature that I could say that is actually useful is the Safari browser. I could imagine myself using that plenty of times if I got an iPhone. Google maps could be better if the iPhone had GPS built-in, but of course it doesn't. Okay, it is decent at playing video because of that large 3.5" display, but it is MEDIOCRE at everything else.

Typing with the touchscreen doesn't work pretty well. I end up pressing the wrong letters because the keys on the on-screen keyboard aren't spaced far enough, and of course you get ZERO tactile feedback. And when you do try to type fast, the software has trouble catching up and there's a delay between what key you're actually pressing to what is still being displayed on the screen.

Personally, my biggest deterrent of getting an iPhone is it's cost. Never mind the cost of the actual unit, but the cheapest plan that AT&T has for the iPhone costs $60, compare that to $40/month one would normally spend on other phones.

Apple Sells One Millionth iPhone

Monday September 10, 8:30 am ET

CUPERTINO, Calif., Sept. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® today announced it sold its one millionth iPhone yesterday, just 74 days after its introduction on June 29. iPhone combines three devices into one-a mobile phone, a widescreen iPod®, and the best mobile Internet device ever-all based on Apple's revolutionary multi-touch interface and pioneering software that allows users to control iPhone with just a tap, flick or pinch of their fingers.

"One million iPhones in 74 days-it took almost two years to achieve this milestone with iPod," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We can't wait to get this revolutionary product into the hands of even more customers this holiday sea- son."

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. To- day, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Ap- ple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market this year with its revolutionary iPhone.

As long as the applefanboys are willing to drop their pants and bend over, Steve Job's actual irrelevancy to the World will continue to be ignored. I now know that there are at least One Million (1,000,000) people in the World who you can sell sand to while they're in the middle of the Sahara.

Hmmm... can't understand all this apple hype,

I personally think its much ado about really nothing....

Why switch to apple? Why this I-phone? bulok naman...

Analyst Will Strauss with Forward Concepts said there is no doubt that a 3G version of Apple iPhone is coming soon in Europe, according to the EE Times Europe on Tuesday.

The analyst said an announcement is expected shortly and could come as early as this week. However, the inclusion of the HSDPA technology is uncertain.

"We have, however, confirmed that Infineon Technologies is producing UMTS baseband chips for at least two cellphone companies, and Infineon is also the only non-captive source for WCDMA/UMTS transceiver chips -- and also the biggest producer of GSM/GPRS transceivers, with a third of the world market last year," Mr. Strauss said.

He noted that there is significant Intellectual Property from InterDigital Communications in the 3G iPhone baseband chip likely to be manufactured by Infineon and that Interdigital recently signed a worldwide, non-transferable, non-exclusive, fixed-fee royalty-bearing patent license agreement with Apple.

Some have wondered whether current U.S. iPhones are upgradable to 3G. Apparently they are not, and this prediction now seems to cast further doubt on that possibility for the first iPhones in the U.S. However, 3G capability is virtually a requirement for a mobile phone in Europe.

Edited by boomouse
Hmmm Sun Cellular with an I-Phone, what an irresistible pair!

A Crap Phone that doesn't work,

hooked up to a cellular system that has no signal!

Sign me up!

I actually posted this way back in the thread as a joke. I never thought that this might happen. Can Sun cellular really deliver the supposedly wide range of capabilities of the iPhone? Anyways, I'd still prefer a pocket pc type of phone over iPhone any day. I hate how apple doesn't allow 3rd party programs in there gadgets. I mean those 3rd party programs really help. I remember having my HP Ipaq before making it my mp3 player/mobile phone/laptop. I used to love playing warfare(strategy game) there. Mobility is the trend now in technology and yet the iPhone doesn't have anything new to offer.