Apple iPhone

Hackers Working to Unlock iPhone

Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service Tue Jul 3, 10:00 AM ET

Efforts to unlock Apple Inc.'s iPhone continued on Monday, with hackers claiming "very significant progress."

The locked iPhone only works with AT&T Inc.'s EDGE network, and cannot be used with cellular service from other providers. Locked phones are generally used to help operators recoup the cost of subsidizing handsets for their customers, but AT&T is not subsidizing the iPhone, which is priced at either US$499 or $599, depending on the model. Instead, the phone is locked because AT&T has a five-year agreement with Apple to be the sole iPhone provider in the U.S.

Unlocking the iPhone would be a boon for users locked into a contract with another U.S. carrier, or for users outside the U.S. who want an iPhone. While initial signs indicate an unlocked iPhone is possible, hackers must first overcome several challenges. One of those involves circumventing the authentication process in iTunes that both lets users register for an AT&T service plan and turn on the phone's features, including its camera and music player.

By Monday evening, U.S. time, hackers had made headway towards circumventing the activation process. But the phone remained locked at the time of writing.

"We have been fairly successful in spoofing iTunes activation processes. This should allow us to activate the phone," poster gj wrote on the iPhone Dev Wiki, one of several Web sites tracking efforts to unlock the phone. "It may in fact also prevent the SIM locking from occurring in the first place... though we haven't verified this yet."

These advances allowed hackers to set and read data on the iPhone, including the ability to query whether a phone has been activated. "The rest of our work is legwork really, in understanding how certain functions operate with the rest of the phone," the site said, adding hackers are close to the ability to browse system files on the iPhone, a key step towards unlocking the handset.

Once the activation problem has been overcome, hackers will be faced with other questions. For instance, does iTunes have the ability to recognize a phone that was not activated for use with the AT&T network? If so, how will iTunes react?

After these questions are resolved, hackers can focus on unlocking the handset itself. That task is made easier by the iPhone's use of a removable SIM (Subscriber Identity Module), a smart card that contains a user's phone number as well as storage space for contacts and messages, instead of one that was hardwired into the phone. The use of a removable SIM card means the iPhone is locked using its firmware, which can likely be cracked.

While hackers race ahead to unlock the iPhone as quickly as possible, iPhone Dev Wiki poster gj criticized those hackers competing against each other to unlock the phone, saying the lack of cooperation had slowed progress.

"I can't emphasize enough how much this s*** stinks. Trust me, your ego is not as important as you think it is. If everyone worked together we would have been done by now, but instead we have a******* all over the world trying to 'beat us to the punch,'" the poster wrote.

Edited by brian
Apple iPhone Dissected

Hours after launch, the iPhone stripped of all parts

Apple unleashed the iPhone on the general public only hours ago and it has already been dissected. With a heat gun and razor blade, tech guru Anand Lal Shimpi was able to strip the Apple iPhone of its brushed aluminum cover and reveal its innards. Inside the iPhone, there are the usual GSM and WiFi antennas, battery, camera and tape.

Apple makes use of two PCBs in a sandwich configuration – each tightly packed with chips. Apple equips the iPhone with Samsung MLC NAND flash memory and an ARM processor. The ARM processor was manufacture by Samsung, but has an Apple logo printed on it. AnandTech believes the Apple branded ARM processor may be the Samsung S3C6400 derived from an ARM1176 core.

The iPhone’s multi-touch screen consists of multiple layers. On the layer closest to the motherboard, Apple lays down faint dots in a grid-like pattern. The dot grid is necessary for the multi-touch screen, apparently.

After dissection, AnandTech was unable to get the phone to function again. Shimpi warns, "While it is quite possible to take apart using easy to find tools we'd recommend against it as it will undoubtedly void your warranty and will most likely mar up the beautiful gadget's exterior."

post-31605-1183557286.jpg

post-31605-1183557308.jpg

Thats apple for you!!! LOL

^^ahahaha.. alang phone functions yung iphone nya.. :lol:

im giving the hackers 78 days from now until someone is able to hack it.. :thumbsupsmiley:

Actually, hackers were already able to make an application for you to manipulate the phone's state, tinker with the launch services, and interact with the cellphones filesystem lolz! Check it out here

^^ahahaha.. alang phone functions yung iphone nya.. :lol:

im giving the hackers 78 days from now until someone is able to hack it.. :thumbsupsmiley:

"DVD Jon" Cracks iPhone Activation, Kinda

post-31605-1183899030.jpg

"DVD Jon" lets iPhone owners use the iPod and WiFi features before activating the phone

Jon Lech Johansen, known as "DVD Jon," reportedly cracked the Apple iPhone activation, allowing users to activate the phone without having an AT&T contract. The crack allows users to use the iPod and Wi-Fi features of the phone, but users cannot make phone calls.

The accomplishment came via a blog post entitled "iPhone Independence Day," which can be found on Johansen's blog. "I've found a way to activate a brand new unactivated iPhone without giving any of your money or personal information to AT&T," the hacker boasts. "So sue me," he added.

Johansen's blog has the necessary application and directions posted for users to download and view. The Windows workaround is a "Phone Activation Server v1.0" patch -- users must have Microsoft .NET 2.0 installed to implement the patch.

Johansen is best known for cracking the encryption code used on DVDs.

Several other methods of activating the iPhone have also been published on the Internet since the phone's release on Friday, June 29.

Looks like someone already done it...kinda. :lol:

If only they could unlock it to be used for a different provider but I think its not possible because I've read that Sprint & Verizon are using different technologies than AT&T.

Without call features, its just a freakin iPod & PDA. :P

Report: O2 Scores iPhone Deal in UK

O2 gets exclusive rights to the iPhone in the United Kingdom

The United Kingdom will soon have access to Apple's new iPhone. According to the Times Online, the iPhone will be tied exclusively to O2.

Vodafone, Europe's largest mobile phone carrier, had been the early favorite for an iPhone contract. Although the exact details of the deal haven't been disclosed, it is thought that O2 will share a portion of revenues generated from each iPhone customer with Apple.

Thousands of customers ditched their mobile phone providers in the United States to hop on the iPhone/AT&T bandwagon. O2 expects to see the same fortunes when the iPhone is released in the UK. However, what’s good for O2 likely won’t be good for potential buyers currently on competing networks. Early disconnect fees are likely to add even more to the initial purchase cost of the iPhone (just as they do across the pond).

While O2 is tipped as being the sole provider of iPhone service in the UK, T-Mobile is expected to get sole rights to the iPhone in Germany and Orange is favored in France.

The iPhone launch in the United States was quite successful for both Apple and AT&T. Apple sold over 500,000 iPhones during the first three days of availability at a price of $499 (4GB) and $599 (8GB). For its part, AT&T lured customers in with rate plans of $59.99, $79.99 and $99.99 respectively plus a one-time activation fee of $36.

Dito naman kaya sa Pinas aling carrier ang makakakuha ng exclusive rights. :D

eh activation pa lang yan na-crack nila eh.. i was giving them the 78 days for it to be used in any network.. :P

Tingin ko malabo magawa yun. Sobrang secured yung pagkakagawa eh. Tingnan mo nga yung nag-dissect di na nya napagana ang iPhone nya. :lol:

Guest airmax
got an iphone. not worth it. i like my n95 better.
are you a cingular subscriber? ayaw ko ng mag nokia ang n95 screen is much smaller. lahat ng mga nakakausap na may iphone dito ang sabi its an awesome phone. sa mga gustong mag ka iphone sa pinas eto na lang bilihin nyo sa china fake iphone watch the video for more details hahaha.Fake Iphone
im undecided if i should get the n95 or the iphone
n95 na lang kunin mo kasi wala namang iphone sa pinas unless of course you're talking about the fake iphone from china. Edited by airmax

Kung magbenta man ang apple sa pinas, I think they have to hook up either with smart or globe. Is iphone G3 ready?Kung magbenta man ang apple sa pinas, I think they have to hook up either with smart or globe. Is iphone G3 ready?Kung magbenta man ang apple sa pinas, I think they have to hook up either with smart or globe. Is iphone G3 ready?Kung magbenta man ang apple sa pinas, I think they have to hook up either with smart or globe. Is iphone G3 ready?Kung magbenta man ang apple sa pinas, I think they have to hook up either with smart or globe. Is iphone G3 ready?

Guest airmax

i bought an iphone the other day. nope the iphone is not 3g ready first of all builtin ang simcard ng iphone second you need to activate it through itunes. third if ur a current att subscriber mababago number mo once you use your iphone. fourth iphone relies on wireless connection in your area or it uses the EDGE an unlimited internet service provided by AT&T kasama na sya sa bayad mo monthly. I dont see the need for 3g kung libre ung EDGE di ba.

kung mag kakaroon ng iphone sa pinas at ganito ang system ng iphone medyo mahihirapan ang smart at globe dito. iphone is different from the regular phones that you guys have in the philippines. hindi ito parang nokia na tatangalin mo ang sim at bibilihin mo ng open line gagana na. ang masasabi ko lang dito lets just wait and see

Edited by airmax