Apple iPhone

You think the virus resistnace of our Macs is just in our minds? You wish! I've been usng a Mac since 1986 and OS X Macs since they came out. In the last two years, I heve not had a single incident of malware, spyware, adware, trojan, or bot on my Powerbook, Macbook Pro, Mac Pro or iMac.

Over that same period, our windows desktop and a Lenovo laptop logged over 200 suspected indients with AVG anti-virus. This has been agreat challenge to virus writers but so far we haven't sween any who succeeded. When they do, I am confident that the solution will be simple and straightforward.

Windows is just good for games anyway so kung ma-virus, okay lang, reformat, re-install, and re-infect. No productivity lost.

Just to inject some reality...

Mac OSX Worm

Yes, definitely Macs don't have as many virus compared to Windows. However, the viruses do exist.

I remember back in the mid-90 when I was taking care of the Mac lan (appletalk) and the Macs in the office. Well, quite a few had viruses in them. They get infected because of.... drum roll.... MS applications like Word and Excel. However, once infected, the viruses had a hard time replicating. More or less, the viruses were annoyances.

Here's another article:

http://www.macobserver.com/columns/askdave.../20010316.shtml

Yes...I know...off topic.

:goatee:

And really...if there are no Mac Viruses... Norton must be selling empty boxes then..

Norton AntiVirus 10.0 for Macintosh

Edited by Riot6
Just to inject some reality...

Mac OSX Worm

Yes, definitely Macs don't have as many virus compared to Windows. However, the viruses do exist.

I remember back in the mid-90 when I was taking care of the Mac lan (appletalk) and the Macs in the office. Well, quite a few had viruses in them. They get infected because of.... drum roll.... MS applications like Word and Excel. However, once infected, the viruses had a hard time replicating. More or less, the viruses were annoyances.

Here's another article:

http://www.macobserver.com/columns/askdave.../20010316.shtml

Yes...I know...off topic.

And really...if there are no Mac Viruses... Norton must be selling empty boxes then..

Norton AntiVirus 10.0 for Macintosh

There will always a be a market for AV software because there will always be nervous people out there. But If you know how continetiuous Apple releases security updates for their OS then you can be a little braver and use a free AV program like ClamXAV that also get updates.

Yes, during hte days of the Classic OS the Mac had its share of virii but these were really annoyances and were not really that destructive. In the early days of OS X and the latter Classic OS, we had macro virii that would transfer from windows PCs to Macs running MS Office to Mac Office. Again these were annoyances and have all but diasppeared.

In the last 12 months, essentially when the Intel Macs were released I have yet to hear of a particularly persistent virus or malware attempt ont he OS. I have been reading the info on the recent OS updates and it looks like Apple is plugging the holes (what little there are) before anyone can exploit them.

As for Norton AV for the Mac, I would think its sales wold be a fraction of its Windows counterpart. Not just because there are more windows machines out there but even in terms of market share in the machines they are designed to run in.

you know what i checked the other board particularly philmug the moderator of that board informed us that this is all a hoax. in short di totoo. :P

haaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy... useless to argue.

did you read the thread and it's entirety?

if you are referring to elbert's post:

Yes, it's all a fake! please tell Globe, Smart and SUN, the NTC, AT&T and Apple that this is all nothing but a hoax.

Elbert

it was made in jest and in a way, the question to that answer is INDEED senseless to reply to. why? because clearly, it was just a newbie who didnt bother to read thoroughly and ergo, missed a lot.

furthermore, since philmug is a recognized official apple community in the Philippines, the moderators of the forum closed the thread so as not to run into any trouble, legally speaking.

next time dude, back reading will be of great help to you.

I can't see any practical reason for unlocking the iPhone because you essentially have to pay for the early cancellation fee from AT&T unless the iPhone was smuggled. The big loser here would be AT&T if smuggled iPhones begin appearring in the Asian & European market. Unfortunately they (AT&T & Apple) can't sue because unlocking cellphones are exempted from copyright laws.

Here's a nice read:

10 Reasons not to Buy an iPhone (at least, not yet)

-- TechRepublic

Since its release June 29th, the iPhone has gotten more than its share of press. Love it or hate it, everyone's been talking about it. Even its detractors have to admit that it has shaken up the cell phone industry and influenced the expectations of consumers as to what they want in a mobile phone. Looking at its sleek, colorful interface, it's hard not to fall in love with it. But like most decisions based on emotion, buying one may not be the smartest thing to do — at least, not yet. Let's look at some of the top reasons to resist temptation and pass on the iPhone for now.

#1: It costs too much

At $499 for the 4-GB model and $599 for the 8-GB model, the iPhone is expensive. It's not the most expensive cell phone on the market by any means (after all, the Motorola SLVR Diamond went for 75 grand (yes, that's 75 thousand dollars), and other phones have cost as much as a million dollars. But those are toys for gazillionaires. For the rest of us, 500 bucks is a lot to pay for a phone. Many are willing to shell out that much, if the phone is really, really great. But as the following list illustrates, it may be just a bit too hefty for the iPhone in its current incarnation.

#2: It doesn't fully support Exchange

Many business users get their mail via Exchange servers. iPhone proponents claim that the phone supports Exchange and it does — sort of. What it supports is IMAP (the Internet Message Access Protocol), a generic e-mail protocol for accessing mail on a remote server. You can enable IMAP on your Exchange server and get your mail, but you lose the "push mail" ability, wherein each message is sent to your device as it's received. Instead, the device checks the server at regular intervals ("pull" mail) to see if there's new mail, so you may not get your messages instantly.

Even more importantly, since the iPhone doesn't support Exchange ActiveSync, you don't get remote access to your calendar and contacts. That can be a deal breaker for business users. There are rumors floating around that Apple has licensed ActiveSync and will support it in a future version of the iPhone. That's all the more reason to wait on buying one.

#3: User-unfriendly battery

A cell phone without a user-removable/replaceable battery? Surely you jest. But it's true; when the iPhone's battery dies, you have to send it back to Apple to get a new one (for a fee). Sending your iPod away for a few days to have the battery replaced is bad enough, but most people can manage without music for a short time. Being without your cell phone for days (or weeks) could pose a real problem, since many of us rely on them for business and safety reasons, and more and more people have ditched their landlines and use their mobiles as their only phone.

The iPhone's battery has a decent charge life, but what about those of us who like to plan for contingencies? With my Samsung i730, I can take an extra charged battery along with me and pop it in if I use up all the juice in the primary one. No such convenience for iPhone users.

I can't believe there won't be a lot of weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth when those batteries start to go bad. This seems like one of the top issues Apple should address in the next version; it's a deal-breaker for too many folks who otherwise like the iPhone.

#4: Where's the keyboard?

As other PDA phone vendors strive to make their keyboards bigger and better (transitioning to side-slide keyboards with more usable keys), Apple went the other way and did away with the physical keyboard completely. The iPhone boasts a large on-screen keyboard, but a lot of folks out there started out with Blackberries and have become proficient at using their thumbs to key in information. That's going to mean learning a whole new way of keyboarding with the iPhone.

#5: No third-party applications

Those of us who have been using Windows Mobile phones are used to being able to download and install the applications we want to add, just like with a "real computer." With the iPhone, you can't install third-party applications. Apple undoubtedly did this with the idea that it would prevent a lot of tech support problems and make the phone's operating system more stable, but I think it was a big mistake. People who shell out this much money for a phone expect it to be a full-fledged hand-held computer, too — and that means being able to add your own apps.

#6: Stuck with AT&T

By limiting the iPhone offering to only one cell phone provider, Apple immediately took itself out of the market for the many people who believe Verizon's mantra that "It's the network." Loyal customers of Sprint likewise don't love the iPhone enough to switch carriers.

Of course, T-Mobile folks may be able to do a workaround now that there are reportedly hacks available to allow the iPhone to work on that network, but for the average user who isn't particular tech-savvy, it's not the ideal solution. And since the iPhone is a GSM phone, and Sprint and Verizon use CDMA technology, there's no way to make it work on those networks.

Even if you do hack your way off the AT&T network, you'll have to pay a $175 early cancellation fee to get out of your AT&T contract.

#7: The bleedingly slow EDGE

Not only are you stuck with AT&T's network, with the iPhone you don't even get to use its fastest network. Instead, you're limited to the slower EDGE network, whereas rumor has it that the upcoming HTC Vogue (a CDMA version of its Touch) will run on the super-fast EV-DO Rev A networks. People who buy Internet-enabled phones want high-speed Internet.

#8: Smile! You're on iPhone camera

The built-in camera on the iPhone marks it as a consumer product, not a business-oriented one. Many business users don't want cameras on their cell phones because there are plenty of places where cameras are prohibited, and it's a pain to have to surrender your cell phone at the door or leave it in the car just to get in.

But even for those consumers who do want to take photos with their phones, the iPhone camera leaves a lot to be desired. Although it does have some cool features, like the ability to set a picture you've taken as wallpaper or assign them to your contacts, it's an adequate but not outstanding 2 megapixel model. There's no zoom and most important, there's no flash on the camera, so you'll have to do your picture-taking in well lit areas.

Admittedly, it's at least as good as the cameras on many other cell phones, but most other cell phones with cameras don't cost this much.

#9: iTune required to sync

Apple assumes that everyone has iTunes installed on their computers, but many of us Windows users don't. However, if you want to sync your iPhone with your computer, you'll have to install it because that's the mechanism the iPhone uses to sync files, contacts, calendar, e-mail accounts, etc.

Want to sync to your work computer but you're not allowed to install music programs like iTunes on it? Oops. I guess you're out of luck.

#10: The dead zone

There have been reports about a display problem on some iPhones that manifests as a "dead strip" that loses sensitivity to touch input. Since the iPhone is all about the touchscreen, this is not a good thing.

Even worse, some reports suggest that more phones are likely to fall victim to this problem as they're used more.

Summary

The iPhone looks cool, but if you're a serious business user, there are other, less expensive cell phones that provide better functionality. And even if you're not a business user, unless you have plenty of money lying around and absolutely must have the latest neat gadget as soon as it comes out, I'd recommend waiting for version 2 of the iPhone, which, we hope, will cost less and fix at least a few of these issues.

Edited by brian

^Yup, that's very true. Some of them are fanboys...and girls. Hehehe. I don't own any Apple products simply because I think their products are overpriced and they have a limited user base. But I also think that Macs are better in some perspective than a PC. And their operating system is more secured than any Windows release.

To all iPhone customers:

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season. iPhone is so far ahead of the competition, and now it will be affordable by even more customers. It benefits both Apple and every iPhone user to get as many new customers as possible in the iPhone 'tent'. We strongly believe the $399 price will help us do just that this holiday season.

Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

Third, even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price. Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these.

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

Steve Jobs

Apple CEO

Steve Jobs' letter to iPhone users

The slash of 50% off $200 was a big upset for the Previos Iphone users.

Imaging cutting almost P9,200 (P46=$1).

That just got to be a big deal for people who are not that rich but still bought an Iphone.

But considering the features of the Iphone, TALAGA LANG DAPAT BAWASAN ANG ORIG PRICE!

The slash of 50% off $200 was a big upset for the Previos Iphone users.

Imaging cutting almost P9,200 (P46=$1).

That just got to be a big deal for people who are not that rich but still bought an Iphone.

But considering the features of the Iphone, TALAGA LANG DAPAT BAWASAN ANG ORIG PRICE!

papano naging 50% off yung $599 to $399? :rolleyes:

anyway the price of a commodity does not have to always be commensurate with its features

you have to add the WOW!, exclusivity, and the "i have something you don't have" factors. that's why some sold for even more than $599 on e-bay. it's always worth it to those who shelled out whatever amount of money it cost them :)

Edited by eagleyes

Well... now there's not going to be a 'WOW - i have something that you don't have' factor anymore since everyone and their kid brothers can afford an iPhone... and judging from the number of early adopters who complained about the price drop, the effort to line up to get an early iPhone seems to be not worth it for them...

here's an online letter from Steve Jobs:

To all iPhone customers:

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season. iPhone is so far ahead of the competition, and now it will be affordable by even more customers. It benefits both Apple and every iPhone user to get as many new customers as possible in the iPhone 'tent'. We strongly believe the $399 price will help us do just that this holiday season.

Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

Third, even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price. Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these.

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

Steve Jobs

Apple CEO

not bad, discount na rin for a new iPod :P

Edited by kaboomerangle