Apple iPhone

Miffed AT&T CEO 'Leaks' 3G iPhone

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson announced that there will be a 3G iPhone. Stephenson’s comment isn’t new information. When Jobs introduced the iPhone earlier in the year he said that 3G iPhone would have to wait until next year after Apple worked out power usage / battery consumption issues. However, the timing of reiterating/reinforcing the idea of a 3G iPhone at a time when people are shopping for the December season will more than miff old Steve Jobs. This probably feels like a long-nailed finger up his nose.

US PBS commentator Robert Cringely said that this was AT&T's way of saying they were not pleased with Apple's alliance with Google in bidding for the 700 MHz frequency spectrum which can be used not just for wireless data but for mobile and voip communications as well--which puts it right up AT&T's backyard. Well, no one ever likes emerging competition especially if it might come from a so-called partner.

"AT&T thought its five-year 'exclusive' iPhone agreement with Apple would have precluded such a bid, but that just shows how poorly Randall Stephenson understood Steve Jobs. Steve always hurts his friends to see how much they really love him, so AT&T probably should have expected this kind of corporate body blow," Mr. Cringely wrote. Of course, we here at MTC understand what this all means... you hurt the one you love? Hmmm… never thoguht I'd see it in the tech world though.

According to "The Mac Observer" this may well result in Apple losing up to one million units in sales of its current 2.5G iPhone. While this does nothing for the price of my pitifully small Apple stock holdings, it does bode well for the rest of the market because:

1. Expect Apple to dump their inventory of the current iPhone right after Christmas and just before Macworld in (is it Jan or Feb? i forgot-don't remember-don't care.). This will be the ideal timing to announce a 3G model as it comes right off a buying lull after December. Apple will have to be ready with ready-to-ship inventory though because they have an older model in the market and a new model will definitely cannibalize its older sibling if there is not a wide enough pricing gap to serve as a moat.

2. They can't dump the iphone without ever adjusting their pricing on the ipod touch if they don't want to create a price dislocation.

3. they can't price down the ipod touch without adjusting the prices of the other ipods.

4. This means that Microsoft's Zune will be screwed again seeing that its only driving force in the market today derives from its aggressive pricing.

5. Apple will have to scramble to rollout the 3G iphone if it wants to continue riding the crest of the initial wave created by the current model. Not doing so would be very expensive in regaining share-of-mind. Infineeon has already delivered over 1 million 3G iphone modules to Apple--all proudly made in the Philippines (well, assembled in the Philippines anyway).

Now Apple has additional impetus to just rapidly rollout the old iphone ahead of the 3G one or they end up shooting themselves in the foot. Prices are going to come a-tumbling too. I would not be surprised to see P15k iphones in Greenhills before Valentine's day. Ladies, you know what to ask for!

Edited by boomouse
uh...no..read the link..Apple said it was their fault. "User Error"

I read the Gizmodo link. You are wrong. Well, a least your comprehension of the English is. This is what it said in part:

"UPDATE 3:30EST: Actually, there's a very simple explanation: it was a software glitch or a human error. That's a bloody song title, which apparently got stuck on the interface and only was cleared after a power cycle."

It was "a human error". This implies that the error was committed by the person who last touched the thing before this event presented itself. When an iPhone is in the hands of someone who bought it, "user error" can never refer to the manufacturer, only the guy operating the darn thing. Besides, there was no mention of "user error".

Seeing that the complaints were from early buyers in India and Australia, I would surmise that one possible problem might have been caused in the language packs. US version equipment rarely have complete language packs because they consume a lot of space especially the double-byte non-romanized scripts like Japanese, Chinese, and the several dozen scripts used in India like Devnagari. If you receive something with these scripts on a US phone, you will be presented with garbage symbols and the double-bute per character nature of the message can really throw off a parochial US-only device. And this problem is not exclusive to iphones.

The moral of the story: it pays to wait. If you don't you have no cause to complain because the product was not defined for your market. In fact warranties would already have been voided. They were lucky Apple support talked to them or they omitted certain details which could have explained the problem better.

Viruses don't exist on the iPhone for the simple reason that 3rd party software (viruses are basically software) cannot be installed on the iPhone. The only substantial security hole that the iPhone had was the TIFF exploit, which the 1.1.1 update patched. Though people who have jailbroken their iPhones for the purposes of installing 3rd party apps have experienced a slew of issues, none of them concern viruses however.

I want an iphone for christmas.

Should i buy one or wait for the second generation iphone? :unsure:

if you're into apple, then you have to buy one right now. i don't think iphone's selling price would dropped fast as nokia or any other phones out there if ever you wish to dispose it or sell it. but lemme give you some things you might consider as well before you buy:

- iphone uses EDGE and WIFI technology for data and internet. nokia and other mobile phones uses, 3G, GPRS and WAP. 3G is the technology behind video calls, so if you're not into video calls, you can put iphone into consideration.

- you can not send or transfer photos from your iphone to your laptop and other mobile phones via bluetooth or IR. this is not supported, however you can directly email them via EDGE or wifi. iphone currently supports truncating bluetooth headsets only like jabra and the rest. it means you can not use your iphone to listen for music using your BT headset, earphones et.al. (though there is a workaround for this).

- if you are a texter and usually sends and forwards quotes from your friends, too bad you won't be able to use it on your iphone. it does not supports sms forwarding, multiple sms recipients and MMS as well... no exchanging of pictures from your boyfriend =) and no videos as well.

- the default install comes with a predictive keypad for your SMS (a default dictionary in nokia), which means it automatically predicts english words right before you finish typing them... (but don't worry, there is also a workaround for this).

- battery consumption would last a day if you barely uses ipod on your phone. normal battery usage would take 4 hours of talk time for a full charge. i've already tried using it 4 hours straight and it goes well enough naman...

so with this kind of crap, why would you still like to buy an iphone now? =)

- because iphone is iphone. iphone is apple and apple is mac. apple keeps a distinguish quality when it comes to their respective products. apple products does'nt drop off prices like other competitors do. they are known for quality and durability.

- since iphone is mac, and mac came from bsd-unix.. therefore iphone is unix. which means the core and based system is stable. i believe iphone is free from viruses though you must choose carefully what programs to install...

- with its large screen, it is easy for your thumb to surf and navigate through the internet, play music with the ipod or switch calls. the sleek design and eye candy makes the iphone the future of mobile phones.

if you're a tech savvy slave then go get one now. if you have a missing feature then stic to your sony ericsson or nokia. =)

kudos.

Edited by mochafrap6750
if you're into apple, then you have to buy one right now. i don't think iphone's selling price would dropped fast as nokia or any other phones out there if ever you wish to dispose it or sell it. but lemme give you some things you might consider as well before you buy:

- iphone uses EDGE and WIFI technology for data and internet. nokia and other mobile phones uses, 3G, GPRS and WAP. 3G is the technology behind video calls, so if you're not into video calls, you can put iphone into consideration.

- you can not send or transfer photos from your iphone to your laptop and other mobile phones via bluetooth or IR. this is not supported, however you can directly email them via EDGE or wifi. iphone currently supports truncating bluetooth headsets only like jabra and the rest. it means you can not use your iphone to listen for music using your BT headset, earphones et.al. (though there is a workaround for this).

- if you are a texter and usually sends and forwards quotes from your friends, too bad you won't be able to use it on your iphone. it does not supports sms forwarding, multiple sms recipients and MMS as well... no exchanging of pictures from your boyfriend =) and no videos as well.

- the default install comes with a predictive keypad for your SMS (a default dictionary in nokia), which means it automatically predicts english words right before you finish typing them... (but don't worry, there is also a workaround for this).

- battery consumption would last a day if you barely uses ipod on your phone. normal battery usage would take 4 hours of talk time for a full charge. i've already tried using it 4 hours straight and it goes well enough naman...

so with this kind of crap, why would you still like to buy an iphone now? =)

- because iphone is iphone. iphone is apple and apple is mac. apple keeps a distinguish quality when it comes to their respective products. apple products does'nt drop off prices like other competitors do. they are known for quality and durability.

- since iphone is mac, and mac came from bsd-unix.. therefore iphone is unix. which means the core and based system is stable. i believe iphone is free from viruses though you must choose carefully what programs to install...

- with its large screen, it is easy for your thumb to surf and navigate through the internet, play music with the ipod or switch calls. the sleek design and eye candy makes the iphone the future of mobile phones.

if you're a tech savvy slave then go get one now. if you have a missing feature then stic to your sony ericsson or nokia. =)

kudos.

thanks a lot for the very informative post dude!

right now, all that is stopping me from buying an IPhone is that they might launch some IPhones meant for the Philippines by 2008!

if it's not too much to ask... can you share how we cld work around through some of the difficulties in using IPhone?

like when using the dictionary... how can we go around this?

lastly, why can't we transfer pics/videos/etc. from the IPhone to our mobile devices despite both of them having bluetooth?

I didn't understand the part where you said they are not supported... or did it mean that they aren't compatible with one another?

From what I understand, the bluetooth on the iPhone currently lacks the profile that will allow for file transfer.

Also, yes. You can send SMS to multiple (two!) recipients! I just found out about it myself. Though it appears to be just a software glitch/workaround rather than an officially supported feature.

From what I understand, the bluetooth on the iPhone currently lacks the profile that will allow for file transfer.

Also, yes. You can send SMS to multiple (two!) recipients! I just found out about it myself. Though it appears to be just a software glitch/workaround rather than an officially supported feature.

sheesh! will they be able to fix that problem with the bluetooth?

what do you mean only 2 SMS? for the whole day?

As far as I know, the iPhone only needs the addition of software to be able to do file transfers. So it's something that could be added to the iPhone in the future should Apple decide to do so.

No. I meant you could send an SMS to as many as two people at the same time.

an Apple-made product susceptible to a virus? Unbelievable...

People should be aware that Apple software isn't invincible as they appear to be.

Hefty Security Fix for Apple Mac OS X, Safari

By Bill Brenner, Senior News Writer

15 Nov 2007 | SearchSecurity.com

Apple Inc. released a massive security update Wednesday, fixing flaws attackers could exploit in Mac OS X and Safari to infect machines with malware and cause system crashes.

Apple Security Update 2007-008 addresses some 41 vulnerabilities, including the following:

An input validation issue in Adobe Flash Player attackers could exploit to launch malicious code by tricking the user into opening maliciously crafted Flash content. Apple has updated Adobe Flash Player to version 9.0.47.0 to fix the problem.

<LI>A null pointer dereference issue in AppleRAID that may be triggered when mounting a striped disk image. Attackers could exploit this to cause an unexpected system shutdown. Apple noted that Safari will automatically mount disk images when "Open `safe' files after downloading" is enabled. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of disk images.

<LI>ISC BIND 9 through 9.5.0a5 uses a weak random number generator during the creation of DNS query IDs when answering resolver questions or sending NOTIFY messages to slave name servers. This makes it easier for remote attackers to guess the next query ID and perform DNS cache poisoning. This update addresses the issue by improving the random number generator.

<LI>An implementation issue exists in the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) portion of CFNetwork. By sending maliciously crafted replies to FTP PASV (passive) commands, FTP servers are able to cause clients to connect to other hosts. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of IP addresses.

<LI>An issue exists in the validation of certificates. A man-in-the-middle attacker may be able to direct the user to a legitimate site with a valid SSL certificate, then redirect the user to a spoofed Web site rigged with malware. Attackers could exploit this to collect user credentials and other information. This update addresses the issue through improved validation of certificates.

<LI>A null pointer dereference issue exists in the CFNetwork framework. By tricking a user into using a vulnerable application to connect to a malicious server, an attacker could crash the application. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of HTTP replies.

<LI>A one-byte buffer overflow may occur in CoreFoundation when listing the contents of a directory. By enticing a user to read a maliciously crafted directory hierarchy, an attacker could crash an application or launch malicious code. This update addresses the issue by ensuring that the destination buffer is sized to contain the data.

<LI>An uninitialized object pointer vulnerability exists in the handling of text content. By tricking a user into viewing maliciously crafted text content, an attacker could crash an application or launch malicious code. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of object pointers.

<LI>Attackers could exploit format string and tabbed browsing implementation errors in Safari by tricking a user into opening a download file with a maliciously crafted name. By doing this, the attacker could crash the application or launch malicious code. This update addresses the issue through improved handling of format strings and improved handling of authentication sheets.

I asked about the price of "modified" iPhone here in Malaysia and the price is RM2650 or equivalent to 34K Php

ok na ba yun?? nagpapabili kasi ang pinsan ko dyan sa Pinas..

Mahal. I estimate you are going to pay over P10k more just to have it 60 to 90 days ahead. And what you are going to be buying is probabaly going to be not as new as what is coming out.

thanks a lot for the very informative post dude!

right now, all that is stopping me from buying an IPhone is that they might launch some IPhones meant for the Philippines by 2008!

if it's not too much to ask... can you share how we cld work around through some of the difficulties in using IPhone?

like when using the dictionary... how can we go around this?

lastly, why can't we transfer pics/videos/etc. from the IPhone to our mobile devices despite both of them having bluetooth?

I didn't understand the part where you said they are not supported... or did it mean that they aren't compatible with one another?

hi bro. the auto correction feature can be turned off though, so really there's nothing to worry about it. about the sms forwarding or individual deletion of sms (since text messages goes in threaded style), you can install "smsd", for individual call register deletion, you can install "calld" naman.. all of these 3rd party application can be install through wifi once you have app installer on your phone. you can install app installer through your windows or mac pc using the usb cable.

yes as what sir fry said, iphone doesn't currently have a BT profile for exchanging/ sending pictures or notes to other devices, but don't worry there is also a 3rd party application wherein you can email the notes, photos directly to your inbox or to anyone else.

most of the apps that makes the iphone rewarding are 3rd party application as of now. i hope the 2nd generation iphones would be much better not just in design but in usability and functionality as well. =)

kudos bro.

As far as I know, the iPhone only needs the addition of software to be able to do file transfers. So it's something that could be added to the iPhone in the future should Apple decide to do so.

No. I meant you could send an SMS to as many as two people at the same time.

thanks for the clarification bro! this will indeed help me out whether or not I will pursue purchasing my Iphone this xmas!

hi bro. the auto correction feature can be turned off though, so really there's nothing to worry about it. about the sms forwarding or individual deletion of sms (since text messages goes in threaded style), you can install "smsd", for individual call register deletion, you can install "calld" naman.. all of these 3rd party application can be install through wifi once you have app installer on your phone. you can install app installer through your windows or mac pc using the usb cable.

yes as what sir fry said, iphone doesn't currently have a BT profile for exchanging/ sending pictures or notes to other devices, but don't worry there is also a 3rd party application wherein you can email the notes, photos directly to your inbox or to anyone else.

most of the apps that makes the iphone rewarding are 3rd party application as of now. i hope the 2nd generation iphones would be much better not just in design but in usability and functionality as well. =)

kudos bro.

thanks for the help... just some clarification though

I won't be encountering any problem once I install these 3rd party applications right?

where may I download them? can u suggest any site? thanks!

thanks for the clarification bro! this will indeed help me out whether or not I will pursue purchasing my Iphone this xmas!

thanks for the help... just some clarification though

I won't be encountering any problem once I install these 3rd party applications right?

where may I download them? can u suggest any site? thanks!

hi bro,

1. as much as the installer.app installation is fine, you won't be encountering any problems downloading, installing and using these 3rd party applications.

2. the installer.app should be installed using your sync cable and your pc. the 3rd party applications can be downloaded via wifi once installer.app is already installed on your phone.

no sites needed because the installer.app itself keep a repository of these applications. so you just have to pick and choose what to install.

kudos.

hi bro,

1. as much as the installer.app installation is fine, you won't be encountering any problems downloading, installing and using these 3rd party applications.

2. the installer.app should be installed using your sync cable and your pc. the 3rd party applications can be downloaded via wifi once installer.app is already installed on your phone.

no sites needed because the installer.app itself keep a repository of these applications. so you just have to pick and choose what to install.

kudos.

wow! you really do know a lot when it come with the IPhone!

thanks! :)

Hi.

I need some info/instructions on how to unlock my virgin(not upgraded) iPhone 1.1.2

Some people are telling me that its still not possible to unlock this version yet.

Is this true?

Some help here please....

Thanks

Check the 4th and 5th digits of your phone's serial number. If it's 45 or greater , then you are sh*t out of luck. That phone is currently unhackable. If it's 44 or less however, you could still downgrade to 1.1.1 and start the jailbreak/unlock process from there.