Traffic Problem In Metro Manila (Merged Thread)

improve public transportation and make cities walkable (like Ortigas Greenways, an on-going project)

until then I can leave my car at home

to solve traffic, government needs to see the problem through the eyes of the commuters

1. improve public transpo

2. build more trains, priority link between MOA-LRT- Makati-MRT-BGC-Ortigas

3. enforce discipline among drivers, commuters and pedestrians

4. ban the jeepney boundary system and bus commission system

5. phase out old vehicles except those registered as vintage

6. make cities more walkable, build bus/jeepney stops that protect people from sun a rain

7. install more CCTVs to catch traffic violators and also for crime prevention

8. relocate bus terminals on EDSA (the ITS can do this but at least two more years)

9. transfer licensing of tricycle to a non-political central agency (notice lots of trikes during election season?)

10. no parking on the street, "no garage, no registration"

11. build an east-west skyway probably from Rizal via ORtigas or Shaw to link up with Skyway and connect Makati-BGC and Ortigas CBDs

12. clear the sidewalks of illegal vendors and other obstructions (only saw Bayani did this, others didn't have balls)

lots of ideas I have here :)

the MRT capacity will be fixed in about a year when trains ordered under PNoy will be delivered, the Skyway will be finished in two years

the ITS will be finished in two years (except the North ITS).

another year or two and traffic on EDSA will be lighter,

another 5 years for other infra to be finished if PDutz/Villar/Tugade work hard

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this. This is also what I've been advocating - BRT here in metro manila. This will serve as a very good alternative to MRT which, for most of us, is a very critical public transportation mode dito. Marami nagsa-suggest na magdagdag ng coach, ayusin ang mga tren, which shows marami ang gustong gumamit nito kundi lang palaging sira, because kung wala ito, people will be forced to take the transpo along edsa which are the hellish buses.

BRT, because it is a lot simpler than MRT, will be a lot easier to create around MM. Ang kelangan mo lang ay buses, dedicated lanes, kahit makeshift stations for now, and off you go! Di mo kelangan maghukay, maglatag ng riles, maglatag ng katakot-takot na electric lines, pati bulky trains at ang nakakabaliw na maintenance nito. All these logistics will not be needed. Mas marami kang magagawang BRT sa Manila. Sa ngayon iilan lang ang MRT lines natin (3 lang) along major arteries. With BRT we can cover more major arteries dito sa manila, and therefore more network of BRT routes. Mas maikakalat mo ngayon itong mga sumasakay ng MRT among these BRT routes rather than siksikan silang lahat sa MRT lang.

Some of you might say, the dedicated lines will be at the expense of private motorist, or public buses, etc. That's the point! You intentionally make it tougher for people to use private vehicles, and easier for them to use public transpo c/o BRT. What do you expect people to do? They will realize that BRT is more beneficial at ito ang kukunin nila! Their behavior has been altered. Kung dati mas gusto nila bili agad kotse, ngayon mas pipiliin nila mag-commute. Yun ang gusto natin, mabawasan ang sasakyan sa kalsada. In the end, para tumakbo ang ekonomiya natin, what we need to move from one place to another are not more cars, but more people. Yun ang principle behind BRT at maging carpooling.

But if we want a long-term systemic fix, we must FEDERALIZE the country.

Mass Transpo ang solution. And also ung No Garage, No Car Policy sana maipasa.

kahit anong scheme pa yan, kahit hi hitler pa gawin mong traffic czar, ang nag iisang solusyon lang is decentralization. ikalat ang business district sa baguio, subic/clark, cebu at davao. tanggalin ang provincial wage rate. siksikan na tayo dito, di na kaya ng metro manila. tingnan mo sa vietnam, mamimili ka kung sa taas (hanoi) o sa baba (Ho Chi Minh) ang gusto momg mag trabaho at mag settle.

Economic Federalism is the key. kahit di na political, Economic and Business na lang.

Agree. The more practical solution is to combine these two proposals above. The long-term goal is federalism, decentralization to spread development across the country and not to concentrate it around few cities like MM. This will transfer to the state gov't the responsibility of developing their area. And the state gov't has more incentive and reason to that than the central gov't. However, it will not happen overnight.

The mass transpo will help in medium-term to mitigate the traffic here in MM, this will encourage people to lessen use of their cars and rely more on the reformed and more efficient and more effective public transportation. However, if we still don't decentralize and we still keep development here in MM, more and more people will still migrate here, which will eventually overwhelm even the improved public transpo. The two proposals complement each other.

Kailangan system solutions. We cannot rely on appealing to individual interests to change their attitudes when it comes to traffic.

The proposals above are still very very valid for solving our traffic woes. System-wide and holistic solutions.

This traffic problem should have been avoided if those technocrats before even during the Marcos era had predicted that the volume of cars would increase and therefore advance planning should have done.

Its too late already.

So many factors are attributing to the traffic woes at eto dapat tuonan ng pansin:

1. Lack of discipline both on the motorists and pedestrians esp. on PUVs

2. Easy terms of getting a car

3. We have no networks of elevated roads

4. Our mass transpo is poor

5. Laht ng secondary roads ginawang parking lot

Ang dami pa...haay buhay!

• Like (+1) 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Did u kniw that abgreat urban plane named Mr. Palapox( not sure of the spelling) predicted it all ready inthe 1960...vas he head one of agncy in the government for development... but what did the goverment did..... NOTHING!! As in NOTHING AT ALL... now his proposal in the 60s is little bit the same for this monster traffic we have this year... my good when will be the time that we willbhave a reliable mass transport para stress free...

Ps: kuwiat and other country followed palapox urban plan as they consulted him now look at them hayahay ang buhay...

As one broadcaster said filipino consults japanese but japanese consults filipino...

Traffic problem is caused by a lot of things:

1.) Drivers
2.) Law enforcement
3.) Poorly designed roads
4.) Inefficient Public transportation system
5.) Pinoy Mentailty

Solution:

1.) Reform the license process. Let everyone who has a driver's license retake the exam.
2.) Educate law enforcers. Let LTO be the head for Traffic enforcers, after all they should be the ones that knows the rules. Be strict to instill Discipline to the drivers.

3.) Ask help from the government of SG to re-design our roads.
4.) Jeepneys and Tricycles for inner city but no overlapping of routes, Buses for Provinces and intercity. All of these should always be connected by a transport terminal/hub.
5.) Let our hospitality be visible on the roads.

Felino "Jun" Palafox, Jr.? The guy hasn't even graduated college yet in the 1960s...

Well he was interviewed by former senator Orly Mercado regarding this topic and he said those things... he even presented this problem to his co-urban planners.. well the end of the day I hope that this mess will end...hmmmm(tsk...tsk...)

If the government are aggressive on implementing RH Law which is a population control measure, sana ganun din sa pag kontrol sa numbers of vehicles on the road.

I will agree na may need na i phase-out na old vehicles, they are not road worthy.

Takaw aksidente pa sila.

Many 15 to 20 year-old private vehicles nowadays are still road worthy. Mine is 18-years-old and it still runs perfectly.

The delapidated buses, jeepneys, tricycles, pedicabs and most motorcycles are the ones clogging the roads and creating traffic.

Instead of classifying road worthiness based on age of the vehicle, it should be done scientifically through dynamometer test on top of the mandatory emission test and visual body/chassis roadworthiness inspection.

In other more advanced countries, if your car fails the chassis dynamometer test, you can't renew its registration.

Edited by camiar

I live in the south and It usually takes me 1 hr 15 mins to get from house to work during PNOYS time but now I have to leave 1 hr 30 mins just to get to work in time usually late pa a couple of minutes and to think I drive to work. Paano pa kaya kung commute.

What I am saying is traffic has worsen with the current admin. The 100 days for Sec. Tugade is almost up and there has been no improvement at all. I think the present admin bit more than they could chew.

I would suggest carpooling as one of the solution. Each morning on my way to work I see cars, suvs, even vans with just the driver inside. Sayang ang space. I do carpooling sa area namin, sometimes I get 2 to 3 passengers. Maybe they should assign a special express lane for carpoolers parang mala APEC.

Just imagine, if there are 100 cars in your area who travels every morning going at the same general area. If these drivers would carpool then there'll be just only 25 cars joining the traffic instead of 100.

Although I agree with carpooling, one of the cons of this is your safety. I mean what if one of your passengers is a holdupper?

Siguro to be safe dapat through credit card payments lang pag carpooling para we can rely at least on the due diligence of banks in ascertaining the identities of the cardholders. In California ang incentive to carpool is may dedicated lane for carpool cars (i.e. with more than 2 passengers yata). Wala naman similar incentive sa Pilipinas. Yung come on lang nitong Uber siguro eh shared yung cost ng transpo.

I have a question.

Noon bang panahon ni Gloria, ma traffic na ba talaga sa Manila?

Hindi ko ma get ang logic ng mga media personalities ngayon kung makapag comment sila mas matindi pa ang traffic mula nang maupo si Noynoy?

Hindi ko pa napapakinggan so far ang mga tirades nila against the incumbent President regarding the transpo aspect after the first 3 months in office.

Ang pahaging laging pag mag traffic report sila, from Antipolo to Marikina ay 3 hours.

If you know, Ted Failon.

Every time na naka tune-in ako sa kanya palagi nya iniinterview yung mga taga LTO, MMDA, ganyan.

Kahit yung iba ding DZMM anchors hindi mawawala ang salitang TRAFFIC kahit showbiz oriented na yung genre ng program or music genre, something like that.

Please give me clear picture of Metro Manila before.

Thanks.