Traffic Problem In Metro Manila (Merged Thread)

About time to build a high speed ring road not just in the city but the whole island of Luzon.

EDSA was the original ring road built by the Americans decades ago. C-3 and C-5 are also ring roads. All these roads are now over congested and it's time to build additional ring roads. Unfortunately, this takes time and the succeeding new ring roads gets ever wider and wider.

Aside from ring roads, there's also a need to increase the number of radial roads which link the ring roads to the center of the various cities. Existing radial roads also need to be widened to accommodate the huge number of vehicles in the metropolis.

I'm personally in favor of toll ring roads. You need to pay to use these roads.

madami lang talagang sasakyan sa kalsada, sa sobrang dami yung iba bumibili kahit hindi naman kailangan tapos i papark lang sa kalsada at magiging parking lot na ang daan. yung mga taong hindi marunong magmalasakit sa kapwa na kala mo ang kalsada sa harap ng bahay nila ay sila na ang may ari. kaya pati mga local road matrapik.

Agreed!! This is the direct result of that stupid coding law of Maganto, Alunan, etal who implemented the coding law decades ago. The assumption was that people would forgo the use of their private vehicles at least once week and take public transportation instead. Wrong assumption!! As I mentioned in an earlier post, people simply bought additional vehicles to get around that stupid law. And without the necessary garage space to house these additional vehicles, people started parking on public roads next to their homes.

The concept of coding was not thought off properly. No thought was given as to the consequences of this law.

So now you have it. If the coding law is somehow repealed, hopefully people will get rid of their excess vehicles and sell these to people living in other parts of the country, particularly in the Visayas and Mindanao.

Edited by sonnyt111

Agreed!! This is the direct result of that stupid coding law of Maganto, Alunan, etal who implemented the coding law decades ago. The assumption was that people would forgo the use of their private vehicles at least once week and take public transportation instead. Wrong assumption!! As I mentioned in an earlier post, people simply bought additional vehicles to get around that stupid law. And without the necessary garage space to house these additional vehicles, people started parking on public roads next to their homes.

The concept of coding was not thought off properly. No thought was given as to the consequences of this law.

So now you have it. If the coding law is somehow repealed, hopefully people will get rid of their excess vehicles and sell these to people living in other parts of the country, particularly in the Visayas and Mindanao.

Yes, the coding policy is one of the culprits. Many, including myself, bought additional cars after the implementation of this policy. On noncoding days, my children and my wife use my extra cars, thus increasing the number of vehicles on the streets.

The other culprits are insensitivity, stupidity, and corruption.

Yes, the coding policy is one of the culprits. Many, including myself, bought additional cars after the implementation of this policy. On noncoding days, my children and my wife use my extra cars, thus increasing the number of vehicles on the streets.

The other culprits are insensitivity, stupidity, and corruption.

Not to mention ignorance of traffic laws, lack of courtesy, recklessness, and as you said, plain old stupidity.

One thing I have observed: In countries such as the USA, where traffic rules are strictly adhered to and and strictly enforced, there are still certain areas such as New York City where traffic rules are routinely disregarded. Driving in New York City is very similar to driving in Metro Manila with cars, bicycles, taxis, and other motor vehicles weave in and out of traffic, where intersections are blocked because drivers don't observe the "yellow box" rule, where double parking is an everyday affair and where drivers blow their horns incessantly.

It's like I never left Manila as I drove inside NYC. Once, at an intersection that was blocked despite my having the green light, I (and other drivers) disregarded the red light because we all knew that once it was our turn again to cross, we would be blocked. This occurs daily in Metro Manila especially when there are no MMDA traffic officers around.

There was also this incident where a taxicab was on my left as we both waited for the light to turn green. Ahead, I saw parked vehicles directly on the path of the cab. I knew the guy would need to accelerate quickly to get in front of my vehicle in order to avoid the parked vehicles. I was in a mini van. The taxi was a Ford Crown Victoria with a huge and powerful V8 engine. The type of vehicle that American police favor because of its power.

As I expected, as soon as the light turned green, the taxi driver gunned his Crown Vic and I put the pedal to the metal on my mini van.

To make a long story short, he failed to cut in front of me and he was forced to slam on his brakes. Ha ha ha. I'm so used to this type of driving, I wasn't about to allow this cab driver to get the better of me.

I believe in staying in the proper lane. That taxi driver had no business staying in that lane where he knew the lane ahead was blocked by parked vehicles. Now if it so happened that there was a stalled vehicle in front of that taxi, I would have allowed him to get in front of me. That's being courteous.

As soon as one takes the Lincoln Tunnel and crosses over into New Jersey, all of a sudden, the driving becomes civilized. Everyone suddenly follows traffic rules.

I suppose traffic laws in cities such as New York are disregarded because NYC is extremely cosmopolitan. Peoples from all over the world converge in this city and bring with them the bad driving habits of their home countries. Another thing is the fact that traffic within the city can get really heavy especially during rush hour. Grid locks are a common occurrence.

Also, I've seen the way white expats drive here in Metro Manila. In my opinion, many of them drive more aggressively than Filipinos. I guess they figure that when in Manila, do as Filipinos do. Except their driving habits are worse than those of Filipinos.

Edited by Bugatti Veyron
  • Like (+1) 1

Meron namang mga magagaling sa traffic management sa MMDA and LTFRB, ang problema hindi naman sila politiko kaya hindi sila naappoint ng president and hindi sila nabibigyan ng chance para mapakinggan ang kanilang idea. Minsan kulang din sila sa PR. Dapat kasi ang namamahala sa nga ganitong agancies are homegrown dito and hindi yung appointed lang then ang akala nila ang galing galing na.

ang thinking kasi, kahit matinong driver ka, pag hindi ka nag "beast mode", wala ka mararating, mapag iiwanan ka ng lahat.

for example lang sa mga u-turn slots, yung nasa inner lane ang kawawa kasi naiipit sila nung mga sumisingit sa 2nd, 3rd, 4th outermost lane. grabe talaga mga u-turn slots dito.

road repairs left and right hanggang middle. walang katapusan na pagwasak at paggawa.

shortage in parking spaces (jeepneys parked everywhere, private cars din sobra dami sa mga side streets)

kahit gawing 10 lanes pa yung roads natin sa tingin ko wala din mangyayari. gagawing terminal ng mga jeep at bus lang yan.

meh inefficient ineffective traffic control and monitoring.

basta may nagtra-trapik, trapik.

there are lanes that disappear suddenly, and that nasty uturn in kalayaan c5 which should be an straight overpass which i believe was an mmda ego project.

politics and politicians have over inflated egoes but thats another topic.

Si Chairman Tolentino naging traffic enforcer na....

http://politics.com.ph/buhay-pa-pala-mmda-chair-tolentino-plays-traffic-enforcer/

Traffic will be worse once the election campaign period will start. We all know that Tolentino will run for senator that's why he's busy going to different places around the philippines to get more media exposure and mileage. All i know his main responsibility is to manage the problem and development of Metro Manila that's why we have MMDA. so why he is travelling outside metro manila???

Not to discuss the pros and cons of an odd even scheme but just to follow the “analytical process” of a man called Noynoy. There is traffic because people continue to buy cars and so he is considering the odd even scheme to reduce by half the number of vehicles. This analytical process could be used in a situation where there is a leak in the faucet and the contemplated solution is to buy more pails. Or if this were Singapore, to allow the selling of gum but to prohibit its chewing. Brilliant don’t you think? Now we see where the problem with the traffic is.

If the use of a vehicle is cut in half, would it also cut in half the registration fees? After all doesn't PLDT reduce the bill for the time that your phone is out? Or Sky Cable for the times that you did not have cable?

The odd-even scheme being proposed by that shitbrain of a president won't work because people will still look for a way around it, specifically, getting new cars that have even last numbers on their plates when they have odd last numbers on their plates and vice versa. The imbeciles who are in charge of traffic should espouse road discipline to their field subordinates who should crack the whip on buses and jeeps who are the ones who perpetually break traffic rules. The thing is the government agency in charge of traffic lacks the manpower to enforce the traffic rules. Moreover, I see many streets that are roads less traveled because of many obstructions on them. These streets could be alternative routes for motorists but motorists get put off because of these obstructions. Instead of implementing an asinine and oppressive traffic scheme like that odd-even scheme, the government should work hand in hand with LGUs to clear these streets of obstructions and crack the whip on buses and jeeps. Buses should also be limited to 5 units per bus company on Edsa because those buses don't get filled up. They only add to the horrendous traffic that Metro Manilans are experiencing. Also, LGUs should charge a premium for cars that are parked on the streets in order to discourage parking on the streets.

I absolutely agree. I also wish congress enacts a law where bus drivers are paid a fixed salary instead of the present boundary system which cause them to drive like maniacs. Better still, let government take over bus companies like it was during Martial Law.

I blame that stupid number coding law for the heavy traffic we see today. The number of vehicles grew exponentially because car owners bought a second, third, fourth car to get around that stupid law.

And Abnoy's simplistic solution to the traffic problem? Restore the Odd-Even scheme. What a stupid thing to propose. This will only increase the number of vehicles in Metro Manila.

Not to discuss the pros and cons of an odd even scheme but just to follow the “analytical process” of a man called Noynoy. There is traffic because people continue to buy cars and so he is considering the odd even scheme to reduce by half the number of vehicles. This analytical process could be used in a situation where there is a leak in the faucet and the contemplated solution is to buy more pails. Or if this were Singapore, to allow the selling of gum but to prohibit its chewing. Brilliant don’t you think? Now we see where the problem with the traffic is.

If the use of a vehicle is cut in half, would it also cut in half the registration fees? After all doesn't PLDT reduce the bill for the time that your phone is out? Or Sky Cable for the times that you did not have cable?

If the number coding scheme enacted years ago was akin to buying pails to deal with a leaking faucet, the Odd-Even scheme Abnoy is proposing is not to buy pails but to buy huge barrels to deal with the problem. So now we have a house full of pails which makes moving around the house difficult. But it's going to get even harder to walk around the house when those pails are replaced by huge barrels.

Cory had 6 years to deal with an impending power crisis. She did nothing. And we all suffered those daily 10-12 hour brown outs.

Abnoy had 6 years to deal with the increasing traffic problem. He did nothing. Now we're all suffering with horrendous daily traffic.

Like mother, like son.

Edited by Bugatti Veyron

In my opinion, traffic worsened during this moron's administration compared to GMA. I don't recall the MRT being that worse during GMA's time.

Yup, I noticed the same thing. But according to Jopoc, majority of Filipinos don't consider metro traffic a problem. Meaning that the millions of people who suffer the agonizing trips to and from work on a daily basis are of no concern. Unbelievably insensitive statement if you ask me.

Regarding the MRT / LRT issue. I find it weird if not absurd that they changed the ticketing system considering that it is not an issue. This is what is wrong with our Government. They fix things that are not broken and just ignore things need to be fixed. Like the old saying "If it ain't broken. don't fix it".

I blame that stupid number coding law for the heavy traffic we see today. The number of vehicles grew exponentially because car owners bought a second, third, fourth car to get around that stupid law.

And Abnoy's simplistic solution to the traffic problem? Restore the Odd-Even scheme. What a stupid thing to propose. This will only increase the number of vehicles in Metro Manila.

IMHO, hindi lang ang gobyerno ang dapat sisihin dahil kasama din tayo sa problema kasi we always want our convenience and don't want to sacrifice.

Yes, the odd-even or color coding scheme are simplistic but acceptable short term fix to the problem. We do make fun of this "stupid proposal" when the fact is the mere mention of the proposal people are already thinking/know how to circumvent this for our own convenience instead of buying-in to the proposal in order to lessen the traffic problem.

SImple lang naman diba instead of buying another car, then why not sacrifice and leave earlier/later when you will now be allowed in the street during your coding day. Instead na mag car pool, bibigyan ng tig-iisang sasakyan ang mga anak para sa pagpasok sa school/opisina so talagang dadami ang kotse sa daan.

Long term solution is to build more roads (flyovers) and/or widen our existing roads as well as to have more dependable public transport system (underground or above ground). Construction though will take years and will definitely add-up to the existing traffic problem. People will then complain ...kasi dagdag traffic. Yun simpleng traffic na lang nga dahil sa road repair/maintenance ng EDSA hindi po ba puros reklamo dahil traffic.