The Football Thread

Labuyo

this Togo vs South Korea match is very exciting...

an early goal from Kader (Togo) on the 31min gave them a 1 - 0 lead...It was a beautiful goal, a throw in then a small lob to Kader who then one touch it with his knees and paced up and powered the ball inside the box, a defensive error from the Koreans was also to help...

Togo looked lively and dangerous...South Korea looked slow, using the long ball too much and no flow within attack...

2Half

The captain of Togo is sent off on the 53min after he pushed Park Ji Sung into the ground when Park had a clear run & shot to goal just outside the box, Free Kick to South Korea...54min just outside the box where Park was pushed down...Lee Chun Soo kicked a mind blowing free kick that couldve been mistaken for a Beckham free kick...

Overall South Korea look more dangerous now even before the one man down for Togo...

its 1 - 1 at 66 min mark...

UPDATE:

2 - 1

72min Ahn scores a screamer outside the box with a little deflection from a Togo defender...

A few mins later Ahn breaks through the box and fires low but the keeper ass saves it from being a goal, as he sat on it...

UPDATE:

Final score South Korea 2-1 Togo

Togo still got forward but over the top shots...

France vs Switz next!! then Brazil at 5am Australian time...lucky i got time off work haha

Edited by luol_deng
coming up...  BRAZIL vs. CROATIA!!!

VIVA BRAZIL!!!  VIVA RONALDHINO!!! VIVA RONALDO!!!

And before that i watched the France vs Swiss match...a goalless draw but France didnt look right in the first half, they had Henry playing as a lone striker with Zidane & Ribery as support while Claude & Vieira provided the defensive cover...

Switzerland had the best chance to score in the first with a set piece near the box, with Sendros heading towards Frei only for Frei to knock it forward and hit the post...the ball went up but Frei was in an awarked position to slot it in...French defenders were missing in action at that time...

2nd half, France looked much better...they didnt get going until they subbed on Saha & Dhorasoo...However France shouldve won it in the dying stages of the 90th minute as Zidane chipped a ball through for Saha in the box, Saha controlled it with a chest pass to Dhorasoo but Dhorasoo blew it wide across the goal...it looked about a foot length away...

In the end it was an even match...50-50 both ways, each had chances but France had everybit to win it but Switzerland just soaked up the attack...

4 goalless matches since the 2002 World Cup for France!!!

umpisa na!! BRAZIL vs. CROATIA!!!

:D im watching it right now on my HD Plasma...i got the 5.1 sound system on aswell haha

other news...

Bayern target Ruud

Bayern Munich president Karl-Heinz Rumenigge admits the club is considering a swoop for Manchester United misfit Ruud van Nistelrooy. The 29-year-old Holland World Cup star's days at Old Trafford appear to be numbered after a falling out with boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

[READ]

Gudjohnson close to Barca move

Chelsea striker Eidur Gudjohnsen is poised to agree an £8million, three-year deal with European Cup holders Barcelona, according to reports in Spain.

[READ]

Excellent performance by the Czechs. That's what every European team should do to the US. I hope Jan Koller would get well soon cause they would really need him up front.

Tsk tsk tsk... what the heck happened to Japan? Seems their defence collapsed on the 2nd half. Nanganganib na sila.

Korea did a very impressive win. Hindi tsamba yung pag pasok nila sa WC last 2002.

Brazil's performance looked darn silly. Masyado silang naglaro. Not what I expected from an all-star team.

...and finally.. Damn the referee who officiated the France vs Swiss match!!! Bulag!!!!! But it was a nice game though. Zidane will definitely loose more hair with the way his team-mates are playing.

a great game by Brazil although they didnt score much goals...the way they played was very fluid, Ronaldinho i swear is the best player out there...the way he controlled the ball and running around 5 Croatian defenders was spectacular...even if the defenders somehow got the ball away from him the ball seemed to go back to Ronaldinho feet...

great goal from Kaka didnt go for power but when for accuracy and placement...

Croatia played hard but clearly Brazil was schooling them at times...

great! a quinito henson on-board <_<

Some news:

Spain ask permission to replace injured Del Horno

Spain have asked FIFA for permission to bring in another player to replace injured defender Asier del Horno, the Spanish Football Federation said on Tuesday.

The Chelsea fullback damaged the area around his Achilles tendon in training last week.

After a scan on Tuesday, national team doctor Genaro Borras said Del Horno would be out of action for 10 days and would need at least another 10 to get back to full fitness after that.

The leading candidates to replace Del Horno are Deportivo Coruna's Joan Capdevila and Getafe's Argentine-born Mariano Pernia, if FIFA give permission.

Spain play their opening game against Ukraine on June 14.

I wonder what are the views of Quinito Henson on this. :)

Spain VS Ukraine tonight...  what are your thoughts guys?

Spain, despite having some of the best players in the world at some positions, have traditionally been underachievers in the international scene.

This will be a difficult match for both sides and I won't even predict a winner or pretend I know everything. :P

Raul has been in a long bad patch, having only scored 1 international goal in the past year, Del Horno out for the tournament and Iker not in really great form. A draw for Spain would be a good result and they should just hope that their form improves in the next 2 games to qualify. :)

I hear you Bubuy...  I was surprised to hear that Morientes isn't in the roster...

Well I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for Spain...  If they make it to the knockout stages do they get to face Korea?  I want my revenge!! :lol:

I don't know why Morientes has fallen out of favor by the national side, Raul has had a good partnership with him upfront.

I'm praying that Los Meruenges and Spain captain Raul rediscovers his goal-scoring form soon or else Spain will be out even before they play the third game.

Spain will face Korea Rep in the 2nd round knockout stage if:

1. Korea Rep qualifies as 1st in Grp G and Spain qualifies as 2nd in Grp H or

2. Spain finishes 1st in Grp H and Korea Rep finishes 2nd

Edited by bubuy
Underground... chill out... and enjoy the thread...  consider this a verbal warning...

Spain VS Ukraine tonight...  what are your thoughts guys?

Spain will win it, but Sheva could inspire his country to win...

I don't know why Morientes has fallen out of favor by the national side, Raul has had a good partnership with him upfront.

I'm praying that Los Meruenges and Spain captain Raul rediscovers his goal-scoring form soon or else Spain will be out even before they play the third game.

Spain will face Korea Rep in the 2nd round knockout stage if:

1. Korea Rep qualifies as 1st in Grp G and Spain qualifies as 2nd in Grp H or

2. Spain finishes 1st in Grp H and Korea Rep finishes 2nd

Have you seen Morientes play for Liverpool? haha he has been a disaster for Liverpool and his form leading up to the World Cup was bad...and its not to say that Benetiz didnt use him much...I would rather have Torres start instead of Morientes...

No room for Raul

Luis Aragones has left Spain's record goalscorer Raul on the bench for their opening World Cup match against Ukraine. The Spain coach has preferred David Villa and Fernando Torres in attack, supported by Luis Garcia. Andriy Shevchenko is fit to start in Ukraine's first ever World Cup finals match.

[READ]