The Football Thread

Labuyo

Have always been an Azzurri fan.... Assuming Italy wins over the US, Italy must beat the Czechs to stay on top of Group E and avoid a possible early confrontation with Brazil in the round of 16. From the way it looks, Brazil would likely top Group F. And based on the knockout stage format, the 2nd placer in Group E would be facing the 1st placer in Group F in the round of 16. It's really an ugly situation for Italy having to face the number 1 & 2 teams in the world rankings a lot sooner than the rest of the teams. But I think Totti and company is capable of upsetting the top seeds.

Go Italy! Go Forza Azzurri!!!

USA is still not out of this yet, this group is very exciting and any of them could come out...

If USA beat Ghana and Italy beat the Czechs then Italy & USA could go through...

If Ghana beats the USA and Italy beats the Czechs Ghana and Italy go through BUT...

If Ghana beats the USA and Italy looses to the Czechs then it goes down to goal difference...same aswell if they both draw the matches goes down to goal difference...

ok lang..... :)  so far, among the favorites...IMO its only Argentina thats is living up to its billing as tournament favourites. Holland is slowly finding its form while Spain did well on their previous game.

Sad to say, and with due respect to England fans....if they continue to play like they did on their first two games....malabong umabot ng quarterfinals what more semis ang mga bata ni Eriksson. :(

they said (some football show in australia) teams who do well in the group stage never get anything good beyond that, teams who have a few bad chances in the group stage usually go further in the world cup...i just point that out coz i saw on tv before and they had stats of teams etc who have done well on group stages but after that nothing, while teams who loose one or team troubles usually have excelled after the group stages...

sayang yung CZE, damn. when is the argentina-spain match? that would be a good match up :)

The earliest Argentina and Spain can meet is in the semifinals - that is if both of them reach that stage. That will either be on July 5 or 6 (Manila time, early morning), depending on how they place in their respective groups.

To me the next great match will be Holland vs. Argentina on June 22, 3:00 am our time. I think this will tell us once and for all if Argentina are really a great team or if Serbia-Montenegro just sucked when they met last Friday.

its 2-0...Fred with a loose ball run in after Robinho fired a shot that deflected of a player letting Fred to run it in...

overall Australia played very very well regardless of the score line...maybe 1-0 reflects the score line much better because Brazil didnt play that well in the match, Australia had so many chances to put this match as a draw or even win it...but Kewell had alot of open missus and some bad decisions from Bresciano, Kewell & Viduka...Australia poured everything in the 2nd half leaving Niell as the only true central defender which he was flanked by two part timer wing backs...

Brazil well they played okay but not World Class Winning performance that we or many expected to see this World Cup so far the first two matches have been average to Brazils standards...Ronaldinho couldnt juggle or do much tricks tonight due to Australias tight closing down defence...I rate Brazil this match B- and Australia B+

Maybe Brazil will go full speed next match??

Teams that have advanced to the round of 16:

1. Ecuador

2. Germany

3. England

4. Argentina

5. Holland

6. Portugal

7. Brazil

9 places left...sino pa kaya?

My Predictions for the last 9 places:

8. Mexico

9. Italy