Are You From The 80s?

I was already in college during the 80s.  Di ko yata alam yung Greg Hamburgers. :unsure:  Madalas kami ng barkada sa Burger Machine.  One of the few places that are still open during the wee hours on the way home after a long night of back-to-back partying.  Another place we used to frequent is Goodah in Greenhills.  Pampa-baba ng senglot yung got nila.

Had the chance to visit these joints again a few years back.  Not the same :huh:

Same with me, i don't remember that Greg Hamburgers. Bukod dun sa Burger Machine may isa pang 24/24 Hotdog Joints na sumikat nung araw, kalimutan ko na kung ano name nun.

Goodah in Greehills, yeah, after ng inuman sa Tia Maria, ayos dun.

Same with me, i don't remember that Greg Hamburgers. Bukod dun sa Burger Machine may isa pang 24/24 Hotdog Joints na sumikat nung araw, kalimutan ko na kung ano name nun.

Goodah in Greehills, yeah, after ng inuman sa Tia Maria, ayos dun.

Yep, Tia Maria pag may pera. Pag wala, Halfway House sa may VVSoliven. Also a good pick-up place back in those days. Hehehe... :thumbsupsmiley:

di ba parang spin off ng kaluskos musmos yang kulit bulilit at kuskos balungos..then later parang nabuhay ulit sa Ang TV..both shows were under Johnny Manahan right?

well, if anybody here has got a good memory, can you tell us please kung ano ung nauna, kaluskos musmos ba or kulit bulilit :D

Kuskos Balungos? I don't remember this TV series, or baka masyado na akong matanda nung lumabas yun kaya hindi na ko nagka interest :D

I was already in college during the 80s.  Di ko yata alam yung Greg Hamburgers. :unsure:  Madalas kami ng barkada sa Burger Machine.  One of the few places that are still open during the wee hours on the way home after a long night of back-to-back partying.  Another place we used to frequent is Goodah in Greenhills.  Pampa-baba ng senglot yung got nila.

Had the chance to visit these joints again a few years back.  Not the same :huh:

Big Daddy's in Greenhills was perhaps the only hamburger and fries joint which served beer by the pitcher!

Tropical Hut and Dayrit's served the best hamburger in town! Ling Nam gave free soup for every order of noodles. Pwede rin mag extra noodles and extra wanton pero sasabihin ng waiter na may extra charge na rin.

1983 sumikat ng husto si michael jackson. his motown anniversary stage performance with his song 'billy jean' soared him to the top notch of popularity....he sang 'billy jean' after rendering a song with his brothers as a reunion performance (jackson 5 plus marvin)....i know because i still have it on tape in betamax format. 1983 was also the year star wars episode vi return of the jedi was released. i was studying at EAC then (b.s. physical therapy) as my pre-med course. august 1983 the ninoy aquino assassination. 1984 was the year i entered medicine at the auf in angeles city and the hit song then was phil collins' ''against all odds', madonna's borderline. indiana jones and the temple of doom was released in 1984. 'we are the world' composed by lionel richie and michael jackson was sang by a number of popular artists ....cyndi lauper, huey lewis, bruce springstein.....prince (of purple rain) was supposed to sing solo in a segment of 'we are the world' but was later subbed by michael jackson.

I was already in college during the 80s.  Di ko yata alam yung Greg Hamburgers. :unsure:  Madalas kami ng barkada sa Burger Machine.  One of the few places that are still open during the wee hours on the way home after a long night of back-to-back partying. 

I remember Gregg's, sarap nga ng burgers dun, even their shakes. And yeah, they had Space Invaders, Galaxian, PacMan too. Papuntang San Francisco del Monte.

Magaling, Beda ka dba? Remember nung early 80's when they would close Chino Roces bridge since uso ang rally rally nun (Ninoy just got shot) so parati tayong walang pasok? How about Paste, did you hang out there as well?

I remember Gregg's, sarap nga ng burgers dun, even their shakes. And yeah, they had Space Invaders, Galaxian, PacMan too. Papuntang San Francisco del Monte.

Magaling, Beda ka dba? Remember nung early 80's when they would close Chino Roces bridge since uso ang rally rally nun (Ninoy just got shot) so parati tayong walang pasok? How about Paste, did you hang out there as well?

Hi Slide!

My husband is a Bedan, and he told be about that place "Pas-te" (for Pasteleria) in Concepcion Aguila.

Siguro hang-out din niya dun, kaya alam nya. He, he... :lol:

Yep, I remember those days. Pero college na ako nun and was no longer in SBC. But still had strong links to the Bedan community. (There was a Bedan that got shot in Mendiola during one of the rallies. His name was Ramon Santos. He was my childhood friend and his older brothers were barkadas of my cousins.) Plus, the rallies that I went to, a lot of them end up in Mendiola.

Eto medyo OT: I could imagine how it was like for the students there at that time. Before martial law, dami rin rallies. Eh yung GS Building, nasa Mendiola mismo. Kapag nagbatuhan, minsan pati classrooms namin tinatamaan.

Yung Dennis, inabutan mo pa ba sa Concepcion Aguila? Alleged pick-up place for La Co girls? Corona? Not the bookstore but the place upstairs hehehe . . . . And the best barbecue sauce (bar none) in the world can be found only at the SBC cafeteria. :cool:

1984 was the year i entered medicine at the auf in angeles city and the hit song then was phil collins' ''against all odds', madonna's borderline. indiana jones and the temple of doom was released in 1984.

Considering that Borderline became such a big hit, Madonna was not even nominated in any category during the Grammy's that year. Not even for Best New Artist which Cyndi Lauper won.

Phil Collins had a duet with Phillip Bailey. Easy Lover. Another popular party tune. Hall and Oates. Dance on your knees! That extended version of Out of Touch.

Tatatatatata (goes the wind section). . . and we should be dancing in the dark. Bruce Sprinsteen and the E Street Band. And who can forget Boboboboys . . .do . ..fall in love . . .in love, in love . . .ahh...ahhh.

Considering that Borderline became such a big hit, Madonna was not even nominated in any category during the Grammy's that year.  Not even for Best New Artist which Cyndi Lauper won.

Phil Collins had a duet with Phillip Bailey.  Easy Lover.  Another popular party tune.  Hall and Oates.  Dance on your knees!  That extended version of Out of Touch. 

Tatatatatata (goes the wind section). . . and we should be dancing in the dark.  Bruce Sprinsteen and the E Street Band.  And who can forget Boboboboys . . .do . ..fall in love . . .in love, in love . . .ahh...ahhh.

Trivia for the '80's kids:

Who was the leading man of Madonna in the MTV of the song borderline?

Clue? He's a latino funnyman and character actor.

:boo: Kayo po'y malugod naming inaanyayahan na MAKIISA sa aming pagiging DALAWA! :boo:

post-9339-1130245625.jpg

THE PANGET :pp: PEOPLE 2ND HELLO-WIN ANNIVERSARY:

THE PP TURNS 2 80s!

29 October 2005 (Saturday)

8:00 PM to 3:00 AM

Cube Bar and Restaurant

Polaris Center, 46 Polaris Street

Poblacion, Makati City

click here for details and confirmation

Yep, I remember those days.  Pero college na ako nun and was no longer in SBC.  But still had strong links to the Bedan community.  (There was a Bedan that got shot in Mendiola during one of the rallies.  His name was Ramon Santos.  He was my childhood friend and his older brothers were barkadas of my cousins.)  Plus, the rallies that I went to, a lot of them end up in Mendiola.

Eto medyo OT:  I could imagine how it was like for the students there at that time.  Before martial law, dami rin rallies.  Eh yung GS Building, nasa Mendiola mismo.  Kapag nagbatuhan, minsan pati classrooms namin tinatamaan.

Yung Dennis, inabutan mo pa ba sa Concepcion Aguila?  Alleged pick-up place for La Co girls?  Corona?  Not the bookstore but the place upstairs hehehe . . . .  And the best barbecue sauce (bar none) in the world can be found only at the SBC cafeteria. :cool:

During my college years in San Beda (just before Ninoy's assasination), the Marcos' were so powerful and hardly a rally ever took place in Mendiola.

I know where Paste is but I never had the chance to go there.  Mostly college crowd na dun.  In GS and HS, mga yagit pa kami kaya wala pang pambayad :D  :D  :D

Hanggang fishballs ni Shirley lang kami  :D  :D  :D

Or yung Magnolia Frozen Delights and yosi ni Mang Conde!

Yung Dennis, inabutan mo pa ba sa Concepcion Aguila?  Alleged pick-up place for La Co girls?  Corona?  Not the bookstore but the place upstairs hehehe . . . .  And the best barbecue sauce (bar none) in the world can be found only at the SBC cafeteria. :cool:

No, sorry d ko naabutan ang Dennis.

This is a longshot, but by any chance na-abutan mo pa ba si Conde?? Yung tindero ng ice cream sa Mendiola gate??

Back in the 80's we had a lot of fun when there was a jeepney strike. SBC being surrounded by La Co, Holy Spirit and....and.....darn it I forgot the one in front of us....a lot of girls would want to hitch a ride with anyone who had a car....damn, those were the days....

Corona din yung bilyaran d ba?

This is a longshot, but by any chance na-abutan mo pa ba si Conde?? Yung tindero ng ice cream sa Mendiola gate??

Back in the 80's we had a lot of fun when there was a jeepney strike. SBC being surrounded by La Co, Holy Spirit and....and.....darn it I forgot the one in front of us....a lot of girls would want to hitch a ride with anyone who had a car....damn, those were the days....

Don't remember his name but I remember there was this ice cream vendor who's there everyday. Matanda na at payat. Actually, GS pa lang ako, nagtitinda na ng ice cream yun sa Mendiola. I remember buying those twin popsies. He'll break it into two and so you can just buy half of it.

The joke then was that Holy Spirit- asawa ng San Beda, yung La Co -mga kabit daw. And the one in front, dun daw yung mga yaya. Hehehe... (My apologies sa mga tinamaan. Peace!)

Corona, yes, dun yung bilyaran. Never really been there but I know the place. (Kunwari pa daw?) Sa ibaba sa labas ng bookstore, there were vendors selling the best and the most unforgettable turon with langka that I've tried. :cool:

Masi was right in that especially after the so-called Mendiola massacre, few rallies were ever allowed to march into Mendiola. Mostly Liwasang Bonifacio na ang punta ng mga rally. It was in the mid-80s when Ayala also became a popular venue for mass action.

No, sorry d ko naabutan ang Dennis.

Dennis is located some 15 to 20 meters from the corner of C. Aguila and Mendiola. You pass it on your way to Paste. The La Co (somehow that doesn't sound right) girls would look at you 'til you melt when pass. :evil:

I remember Mang Conde, he was short and stocky with salt and pepper crew cut hair. The joke was that he was successful in sending his sons to La Salle and Ateneo through selling ice cream. (Incidentally, his sons sold ice cream too, in La Sall and Ateneo. Now, that was mean!!!)

Masi was right in that especially after the so-called Mendiola massacre, few rallies were ever allowed to march into Mendiola.  Mostly Liwasang Bonifacio na ang punta ng mga rally.  It was in the mid-80s when Ayala also became a popular venue for mass action.

I remember going back to SBC post-Ninoy assassination and it was heavily guarded. First time I saw container vans positioned on Mendiola. It was pretty eerie. I was told that students who brought cars to school had special permits to access Mendiola then.

Right after college, in the 80s I worked for a Marcos crony company. The color yellow was banned!!! We can't join anti-Marcos rallies!!! During the campaign period for the snap election, we were made to attend the KBL rally in Luneta. We were brought there in airconditioned buses and fed at the Manila Hotel. We were even paid P100, which at that time was a fairly big amount. We had to post a "Marcos pa rin!" sticker on our cars otherwise, we wouldn't be allowed to park in the building carpark area.

I had a friend whose brother worked for Bong Bong and he had a signed card from Bong Bong. Everytime we passed those police checkpoints, he would flash the card and we were allowed to move on, no matter how drunk we were.

• 3 weeks later...

80's...New Wave Era!!! I guess this is the era I can relate well... I was in Elementary and early Highschool days!!! Famous dance step was the "chop" while dancing to the tune of "State of the Nation", not to forget Street Beat ... Era of mini-skirts with leg warmers and hi-cut reebok shoes! BAGETS rose to fame! Funk Era! Leather with metal spikes... Converse Hi-cut, VANS sneakers, HARUTA (penny loafers), SWATCH rose to fame as well. Past time...working on our respective RUBIK cubes! We had our first ATARI - Space Invaders and PACMAN...then to Nintendo! Cartoons..hmmm Candy Candy, Voltez V and Haidee (the girl with the St. Bernard dog) and He-Man, Smurfs, Knight Rider and The Muppets Show. TV shows includes my 2 most fave ALF and Punky Bruister!!! ..Filipino TV Show includes Analiza, Flordeluna, GMA Supershow, Eat Bulaga, Student Canteen. Wala pa CD... BETAMAX lang..hehehe Movies includes Karate Kid, Rambo, Gremlin, Mannequin, FAME, St Elmo's Fire

Fave music artist includes: U2, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Madonna, Spandau Ballet , Culture Club, China Crisis, The Police, George Michael, WHAM, Tears for Fears, Phil Collins, Bangles and Human League ..music industry was ruled by British Artist that time if I can remember it right. Music includes State of the Nation, Buttercup, Just Got Lucky, Roam, Gold, True, Like a Virgin, Every Breath You Take, Believe it or Not, King and Queen of Hearts, Wake Me Up before You Go-Go, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Rossana and many many many more!

Mabuhay ang 80's!

Oh by the way, for 80's fan...drop by 6 Underground Bar and Resto along Carlos Palanca, Makati. Once a month they have this 80's night..and all you hear are all NEW WAVE music....I think it is held every 2nd Thursday of the month..I was there last Thursday...grabe!!! Galing...sarap to listen to new wave music talaga! The best! See you there...

not to forget pala the following:

GIFT GATE - SANRIO

Tokyo Tokyo

Happy Feet

Cinderella - best place to buy clothes and shoes before sa North Mall ng Glorietta

Spaghetti ng Makati Supermarket

MENUDO - boy band (hehehe..nanuod ako concert sa Folk Arts)

ANNIE - the orphan girl which was also locally portrayed by Leah Salonga

Penthouse Live - Martin and Pops with Donya Buding

... lastly I will never forget our Highschool Dance and Soiree's...hehehehe (tama ba spelling)