Sports Cards Collectors

Fitzroy

Shawn Kemp? This is another sad story in the mold of Penny Hardaway.. But at least, Penny came down not because of stupidity but because he got injured.. Much like Penny's card values, Kemp's has also gone down the drain.. But the fan base of Penny is still there and apparently, Kemp's fan base has really taken a bit of a fall lately.. Why? Kemp literally destroyed himself.. ballooned like an elephant and just basically fell hard, his cards followed.. So much for the once-mighty Reign Man..

Still, Kemp's autographs are still selling well in the bay and here.. The reason for this is that Kemp's autos are rare to come by.. And because I collect autographs, I also need his signature for my PC.. Much like Spree's auto.. I also need Kemp's.. Even though I hate them as players.. (no offense to gary gnu) hehehe!!! But I can't seem to find a good deal..

BTW, I have some Kemp stuff in my PC.. inserts and a rookie card.. Again not for trade.. Slam Cam, 98-99 Fleer Electrifying, Big Ups, Boss, Ultimate Victory Parallel #d to 100.. they are not worth much.. but I got these from packs.. so they are not for trade nor for sale.. Dati nagkaroon ako ng isang MVP Superscirpt #d to 25 na $120 ang value before that I bought for P120.. I traded this for a Duncan RC Fleer Tiffany and a Bowman Duncan RC Refractor.. :cool: Kaya kahit papaano malaki din ang naitulong ni Kemp sa Duncan collection ko.. hehehe!!! ;)

I got two great of the games auto Maurice lucas and Dan Roundfield $20 each and 3 Paraquet Performers Offical Boston floors of Bob Cousy $20, Sam Jones $15and Jojo White $15. I also have a 98 Kobe hardcourt High Court /1300 $40, 98 Spx Gold kobe $64. 0607 Reflections kevin Garnett auto #50 $60 and 0506 Ultimate Collection Auto jason Kidd $25. Trade for Drexler cards. Interested can also PM me. Thanks

Also a 0203 Topps Chrome Refractor Kobe $24 and 0607 Upper Deck Sweet Shot Rookies auto Renaldo Balkman $15

Its my 1st post on this thread. Revi if you need authentic fleer 86-87 RCs. I have them and i think you know how to reach me.. :thumbsupsmiley:

I'm glad to see na buhay pa din ang NBA collectors. You're right, there should be more collectors who love the hobby than those who want to make profit out of it...

i used to collect cards and was even trading at c.m. recto... :)

the most valuable card i ever had was a platinum michael jordan (sold it for 5k back in the 90's) and the best card i got out of a pack was only a shaq "cut-above-the-rest" card. it was fun back then but suddenly i just lost interest.

i believe i still have the rookie cards of scottie pippen, shawn kemp, and kobe bryant (the transparent one i think). :)

Its my 1st post on this thread. Revi if you need authentic fleer 86-87 RCs. I have them and i think you know how to reach me.. :thumbsupsmiley:

I'm glad to see na buhay pa din ang NBA collectors. You're right, there should be more collectors who love the hobby than those who want to make profit out of it...

I just pm'ed you.. :D

Its been a while since we saw each other, pare.. Ultimate Collection 2006 pa yata yun..

Ano ano yung mga authentic fleer RC's na meron ka? I need most of them.. Atsaka magkakano? PM me naman..

Re: The smackers.. Nakakainis na din kasi coz nanloloko na sila eh.. Yung iba hinahayaan ko na lang coz anjan na eh.. But I miss the days when collectors mingle and talk about the hobby rather than the money.. Got tired of talking to smackers all the time.. Rather than me enjoying the hobby, naiinis na ako minsan.. That is the reason why I stopped going to Galleria on Saturdays and I play badminton instead.. :) Meron na lang akong mga ka-text kapag may bago sila.. kumbaga runners..

Pare,

Bad news ang Fleer, its too much hype. The seeded 1 buyback per box but its not all 86-87, may 87-88 din which they didn't say before. The buyback auto is 1 per case yet its a redemption and its for a random player so you won't know until you get it back. The Jordan autobuyback is only 10pcs (per my friend from Upper Deck). Plus the autographics is seeded either 1 or 2 per case as well.

Thats what you get for a cheap product. I still have at least 8 unopened cases at home.

As for the RCs of 86-87 let me know what you need. I PMed you as well.

Going to start really just concentrating on the high end issues...

06-07 SPx, Topps Chrome, Topps 3ple Thread out next week. Fleer EX the week after.

... oh yeah, its not a sports car...

Bad news ang Fleer, its too much hype. The seeded 1 buyback per box but its not all 86-87, may 87-88 din which they didn't say before. The buyback auto is 1 per case yet its a redemption and its for a random player so you won't know until you get it back. The Jordan autobuyback is only 10pcs (per my friend from Upper Deck). Plus the autographics is seeded either 1 or 2 per case as well.

Thats what you get for a cheap product. I still have at least 8 unopened cases at home.

As for the RCs of 86-87 let me know what you need. I PMed you as well.

Going to start really just concentrating on the high end issues...

06-07 SPx, Topps Chrome, Topps 3ple Thread out next week. Fleer EX the week after.

... oh yeah, its not a sports car...

Madami ngang nagrereklamo sa beckett.com (message forums) diyan sa Fleer na iyan eh.. Misinformed ang mga buyers.. And that is the reason why yung mga Kano galit na galit sa Upper Deck.. Meron pa ngang gusto i-boycott ang UD.. Sabi ko sa sarili ko, kapag binoycott nila ang UD saan pa sila kukuha ng mga Jordan and Lebron autos.. :blink:

BTW, I PMed you the list.. Sa 87-88, I need the John Stockton and Scottie Pippen RCs..

Pare, ikaw na lang yata ang bumubuhay sa hobby dito sa Pinas.. I hope you won't get tired of opening boxes of cards and helping collectors in getting the cards they need.. Kudos to you, pare..

This thread is a good thread, karamihan sa mga posters dito like dshock, kupalking, clydedrexler are more of hobbyists than smackers.. I continuously write (and post pics of my cards) on this thread so that MTC members would notice it and baka ma-re-kindle yung memory ng mga old collectors who stopped buying cards.. Para naman dumami ng kaunti ang mga kolektor at hindi puros smackers.. :P

BTW, try visiting the sports thread.. Dami dun NBA enthusiasts na nag-sha-share ng ideas nila about the League.. Its nice to talk about the NBA and share ideas with fans.. Hindi yung puros prices lang ng cards ang katapat natin.. There we could discuss about Lebron James' woes in the FT line, rather than his Exquisite RC (which you have, btw..).. Madami ring nag-a-argue but its more of a friendly discussion than a fight..

Yup.. Its not a sports car.. You are right on the money there!!! Bwehehehe!!! :lol: ;)

Edited by revi

Revi,

Thanks for your nice words. I don't think naman that i alone am doing that for the market here. There will always be collectors whether or not i open cases upon cases of cards.

I open because i love the hobby, i love the anticipation of getting great cards, unfortunately, Upper Deck has been destroying the odds lately.

Unfortunately too, i might have to start concentrating on middle to high end issues only. The bad thing about the Exquisite collection is that people have turned in more into an investment rather than thinking of it as a high end collection. Mukhang exquisite na lahat ng tao.

Its a good thing na i have good connections abroad and that i can secure as much of it as it could pay for. For the past 2 years, we have opened an average of 200-240 cases of it. Roughly, we the Philippines, corner 10-12% of the entire market. Kaya maraming kano ang naiingit. The whole of Japan opens 20% of the exquisite market.

Because of this issue, other cards even those na high end dati, like the ultimate collection, ayaw tumaas ang price.

Topps is doing a great job reinventing themselves, although their exclusive signees fail in comparison with that of UD.

I do hope dumami pa ang collectors, or those who stopped collecting would start again. I know its a very expensive and addictive hobby. Wala pa masyadong babae (damn!) but it still have a lot of perks. I get to meet and make friends with people like you.

Sana bumalik na laro ni Lebron or else yari na collection ko.

^^ Americans would really get dumbfounded as to how a third world country can get 200 - 240 cases of Exquisite.. The funny thing is that you are the only one who opens the 240 cases.. That made it much worse in their eyes.. :cool: bwehehehe!!! :lol:

Upper Deck is almost like PLDT in terms of monopoly in the Basketball card market.. Because they have exclusively signed Jordan, Lebron and Kobe, they have slowly taken over the market.. When they bought Fleer, it became apparent that UD will manipulate the market more.. Topps can not (in my opinion) do anything but try to sell basketball products with their spokespersons in AI and DWade..

You are correct in your thinking that people now invest in Exquisite rather than for collecting purposes.. People now think that Exquisites are the only brand that would go up in value.. I have some Exquisites in my collection that I bought as singles, but they are not really for investment but more for collection.. But sad to say, I am not part of the majority but of the minority not only here in the PI, but also abroad..

In a nutshell, there is only one high end product today.. and that is the Exquisite brand.. Dapat dito tapatan ito ng Topps, they should try to make a product similar to Exquisite.. Let us see if DWade, AI, (my man) Duncan can do wonders for the hobby..

No girls in the hobby? Kaaway nga ng mga GF's and asawa natin itong hobby na ito eh.. But let us keep our fingers crossed.. Malay natin may mga MTC girls na biglang mapunta bigla sa mga shops mo or sa Courtside tpos ma-hook sa hobby.. Di panalo!!! :lol:

Edited by revi

Hi Gobio. I don't think we know each other. BUt from the looks of it you're a who's who in the hobby here in the Philippines. Glad to know that you're in this thread as well. I can never agree more with you guys that we need more people who love NBA card collecting. Talking about Exquisites....I have yet to acquire a single exquisite for my Drexler collection. That's my hope and wish. HOpefully Gobio you can spare me some if you have one of those coveted cards that I really would like to have. And hopefully you can remember me everytime you open cases that I'm a drexler collector so I would appreciate if you can let me know if you got some hehehe

It was really my dream to be able to get all the Drexler cards out there...but with the ridiculous price and odds of cards right now I'm just happy that I have at least the "first issues" (97 autographics, 98 century autographics, 98 UD jersey, 98 co-signers etc.) of sorts of my player's card. As for the other unpriced and scarce cards, well it will be a plus to have them. At least I have a gold numbered to 10 auto. :P

how does one get started in this kind of hobby? what are the need-to-knows? :unsure:

i don't want to be duped. :D i'm thinking of starting my collection next year with Kevin Durant. B)

Ayaw mo kay Oden, bubs? :)

If one is in the PI, there is one shop that sells packs and boxes of cards.. This is Courtside in Galleria and one in MegaMall (Cyberzone).. You can be assured that this shop sells authentic NBA products.. (cards, toys, and stuff) You can also pick up the magazine called Beckett Basketball Monthly also from Courtside (the price guide for cards - considered as the bible of this industry) just to get a feel of the hobby..

Kung ayaw mo namang sumugal (coz in buying packs/boxes you basically don't know who you will be getting), you could buy singles in some shops that are owned by our own gobio, he has one in Virra Mall and another in Megamall (JAE Collectibles).. Singles are basically cards that were opened (from packs) and are now being displayed/sold in shops but are priced in accordance to a price guide (or kung wala pa yung presyo sa guide, gut feel muna from e-bay)..

In the PI, not all cards are priced at X50 or 49 vis-a-vis the dollar value in Beckett.. Peso multipliers can vary from X5 to X50, and is wholly dependent on the demand and the scarcity of the card.. Example, a Bobby Jackson RC (Rookie Card) can be sold at a measly P5 while a Jordan RC can be sold at X40-45, that is around Php26K.. As you know Bobby Jackson does not have the fan base that Air Jordan has, and basically, Jordan's RC is much rarer than Jackson's and there are a lot of collectors who would want to own Jordan RC.. so there goes the concept of supply and demand..

Also, every Saturday, there are sellers of cards that usually are located in Courtside, Galleria.. Dito nagkukumpul-kumpulan mga sellers.. Binders of these sellers contain for trade or for sale items.. Karamihan naman sa mga ito ay authentic.. Hindi ka ma-du-dupe dito sa Pinas kasi once gawin sa iyo yan masisira pangalan nung seller and there goes their business.. Kaso ingat din, kasi maraming manloloko sa ganitong hobby dito but not in duping you but more of niloloko ka sa presyo..

In buying autographed cards, and jersey/patch cards.. There should be a certificate of authenticity at the back of the card or a seperate card for authenticity..

Now, if you live abroad.. I dunno where you would be able to get your cards.. One thing to do is to go to Beckett.com.. and surf there.. You could also buy cards from e-bay..

---

IF you are just thinking of getting a single player for your collection (Kevin Durant for example).. My advise would be to just buy singles.. Mas matipid.. Just go to gobio's shops.. For new Rookie cards, his shops are the best to go to.. coz yung mga sellers dun din naman bumibili ng cards nila na nilalako nila every Saturday sa Courtside.. One more thing, it is easier to start a collection of a new player than say collect oldies like Kobe, Duncan, Jordan, kasi madami silang past issued cards.. Mahirap balikan na yung mga dating cards ng ibang players..

Yun nga lang medyo magastos especially if Durant would sign with Upper Deck.. Coz if you backread a little bit, Upper Deck releases a brand called Exquisite since Lebron's rookie season and these packs are sold at Php40-45K per pack.. At yung mga Rookie cards dito can reach $1K++ (depends on the player)..

Hope to see you sometime soon (next NBA season) boss bubuy.. Matagal-tagal pa namang lalabas si Durant kaya you still have time for other things.. :D Sana nga mag-start ka sa pangongolekta next season at medyo maglie-low ka muna sa chicks.. :evil: bwhehehehe!!! :lol:

Edited by revi

loko ka. :D actually mejo nagBR nga ako last night after posting the message. mukhang magastos at madugo nga din itong hobby na ito. :unsure:

im thinking if i will not be dedicated as some of you guys are, why start at all di ba? i dont want to be half-hearted about everything i do pa naman. bahala na if i will be a collector soon. pag aralan ko pa ang gastos. :lol:

p.s. I just feel that KD would be a bigger player than Oden in the short term. mas polished na ang offensive game ni KD ngayon pa lang. he scores better, he's got NBA 3 point range. most scouts often compare him to another Kevin, Kevin Garnett with a 3point shot. think of him as a cross between KG & Dirk. :thumbsupsmiley:

pero yan naman ay gut feel ko lang. Oden would also make it big, he does have that Russell-esque presence inside. He doesn't need to score big to change the face of the game. He is THAT dominant and I ain't talkin about college level. ;)

You can't go wrong with these 2 players, if you have the #1 pick.. you could just close your eyes and roll the dice. whoever comes out between the two, you just can't loose. :)

teka OT na ito dito eh. :P

Hi guys! this is kinda off topic. i just wanted ask if somebody here knows the beckett value of some crds coz i cant seem to find them online of in the beckett i saw in comic quest.

here are the cards:

1) 2002-2003 Jay Williams/Kobe Bryant Dual Signatures #049/275 crd #128

2) 2006-2007 The Lebrons (Kid Lebron)

3) 2001-2002 Hoops Hot Properties Inside Vince Carter GU #252/900

4) 2002 UD Game Jersey Patch Number Kobe Bryant KB-P# - (super thick card!)

5) 2001 UD Sweet Shot Network Executives Dermarr Johnson DJ-N (GU Ball and Net) - (super thick card also)

6) 2004-2005 Fleer Auto Authentix Devin Harris #01/50

7) 2004-2005 Fleer Jersey Authentix Karl Malone #01/10

8) 1998 EX2001 Essential Credentials Now Karl Malone #06/19

Sorry guys if medyo marami yung cards na tinatanong ko. Nahilo na kasi ako sa format ng beckett ngayon eh. di na tulad ng dati. medyo maliit na masyado yung fonts and konti na yung pictures ng cards. tska konti nalang din ang nakalagay na names.

Btw Sir Revi i have a few Duncans but im not sure if you have it already. I have a 2003 Topps Finest #126 (w/ game worn jersey & #d014/999). I also have a Skybox Premium And One... im not sure what year this card came out but it has TD's picture on one side then it has a sbx sticker as a seal on the other side.how much are these 2 cards?

Thanks po ulit.

Hi guys! this is kinda off topic. i just wanted ask if somebody here knows the beckett value of some crds coz i cant seem to find them online of in the beckett i saw in comic quest.

here are the cards:

1) 2002-2003 Jay Williams/Kobe Bryant Dual Signatures #049/275 crd #128

2) 2006-2007 The Lebrons (Kid Lebron)

3) 2001-2002 Hoops Hot Properties Inside Vince Carter GU #252/900

4) 2002 UD Game Jersey Patch Number Kobe Bryant KB-P# - (super thick card!)

5) 2001 UD Sweet Shot Network Executives Dermarr Johnson DJ-N (GU Ball and Net) - (super thick card also)

6) 2004-2005 Fleer Auto Authentix Devin Harris #01/50

7) 2004-2005 Fleer Jersey Authentix Karl Malone #01/10

8) 1998 EX2001 Essential Credentials Now Karl Malone #06/19

Btw Sir Revi i have a few Duncans but im not sure if you have it already. I have a 2003 Topps Finest #126 (w/ game worn jersey & #d014/999). I also have a Skybox Premium And One... im not sure what year this card came out but it has TD's picture on one side then it has a sbx sticker as a seal on the other side.how much are these 2 cards?

Naguluhan ka na ba sa Beckett.. :D Madami na ring tinanggal ang Beckett sa monthly price guide na old cards eh..

Lemme see some of your cards:

Card #1: Kobe/Jay Williams - I think this is from the UD Inspirations set.. Dual autograph.. $150..

#2: The Lebrons - $6

#3: Carter Hot Prospects Game Used - $20

#4: Kobe Patch Number - Get ready for the price.......... $250.. :cool: Pretty rare.. Odds at 1:2500..

#5: Der Marr Johnson Network Exclusives - $20

#6: Devin Harris Auto - $30

#7 and #8 are unpriced cards.. Too rare to price.. but a Karl Malone can be sold siguro at a maximum of around P500.. :cool:

BTW, Are you selling your Kobe Patch ($250) Card? Ganda nitong card na ito.. Very tough to pull from a pack.. If so, how much and what are you looking for..

I think the Finest Duncan #126 is not 126 but #129.. Kindly check.. Coz walang 2003 Finest JSY na Duncan na #126.. If ever na tama ang hula ko na #129 ito.. Its valued at $12.. The Duncan And One is not listed already but its around $10-15 siguro.. I have both Duncans in my PC.. :)

---

@bubuy:

Wag ka na magdalawang isip.. Go for Durant's cards next season.. And thanks for the inputs on Durant's upside.. IMHO, its never off-topic to discuss player potential in the NBA Cards thread.. Yknow, in this business/industry speculation is very important.. ;)

Hi Clyde,

Unfortunately, they have yet to put clyde drexler sa exquisite. I hope they do this coming year. The exquisite series is kept under wraps by upper deck. They only give you 3 days before pre-order to place your order or else you have to get it sa secondary market. It is allocated product. They only make between 2,200 to 2,500 cases a year.

I will keep you in mind if i get any drexler autos.

Hi dshock,

As for Ghill, He is one of the hobbies' enigmas kasi he rarely signs plus he has no affliates so it might be hard to secure more of his memorabilias whether it be auto or jerseys.

But if ever they do, kami ni Revi bahala sa inyo.

I do hope you guys keep the hobby alive...

Guys,

People are already falling in line for next year's crop of rookies. Some say it could be two rounds deep talaga, walang tapon. That is why even a 2nd round pick for next year is a valauble trade commodity now for the NBA teams.

I think Oden is more of the impact player, more polished that Durant though KD is the more explosive scorer. KD still lacks defense. Two guys that the scouts are also looking at is Noah and Taurean Green of Florida.

The only hitch is, there is talk now that Greg Oden is enjoying his stay at Ohio State so much that he might not enter the draft in June.

If that's the case it will still be a deep draft but expect '08 to be a good one as well will high school superstar O.J. Mayo declaring himself available after going through the 1 yr college eligibility.