Cellphone Reviews

ON THE SAMSUNG GALAXY S:

After having made extensive research on the top four of my choices -- Samsung Galaxy S, Nokia N8, Iphone 4, and Experia X10 -- I finally decided on purchasing the Samsung Galaxy S. My primary intention was to upgrade from my Nokia E71, which has served me well for the past 3 years. I needed a business phone that will link me well with the internet.

Before anything else, I would like to give a very good appraisal to the Nokia E71. I must say, as a business phone, it is very good. I even thought of upgrading to the E72. The only reason that stopped me from doing so was the screen size. There are models now with larger screen sizes so I thought of moving up to the previously mentioned models.

As regards the Samsung Galaxy S, I must say it has wonderful graphics. It even outshines the other newer models that Samsung released. It has very good inter phasing with the internet, and has a very fast processor. The applications are good, only that, it doesn't match well with the Nokia system so much of my contacts which couldn't be saved in my sim card had to be manually encoded.angry.gif

One disappointment with the Samsung Galaxy S is that, unlike the Nokia E71, you have to purchase it's office suite (Think Free Office)! The Nokia E71 has it incorporated in the phone.angry.gif

Another note to remember is it's battery life. It's a lot thirstier for power. The more applications you use, the faster the battery drains. With my usual usage, my Nokia E71 lasts me a good two days on its battery. Instead, the Galaxy S just goes on a full day at the office! It does not even last 24 hours.angry.gif

I guess that's true for most of the newer versions of the smarphones. So, buyers, keep that in mind when purchasing these types.

Other than that, I it's a good model, although, a lot more complicated than the Nokia E71 or, perhaps, the blackberry. Just like any new toy, you need to reeducate yourself in using it.wacko.gif

i'd been a sucker for nokia phones ever since it appeared in the philippine market. but i've noticed their MAPS still sucks, at least for a heavy gps user. and the applications are flimsy compared to other phones. yes, the office suite was thrown in to my E72, but writing more than 100 characters is a pain. and has anybody seriously read an excel file in his phone without frustration? cells so tiny even the 5800 screen will just fit a few.

samsung galaxy uses the android os, which can be loaded with the rpmap thru osm, which was generally based from our latest rpmap. here's hoping galaxy tab can run the gps application too so it won't be limited to using the lame google maps (scanty database and unplotted provincial roads)

I did have about 7 phones in just 4 years and darn what a loss of money because

you thought this phone had it all until you experience it and find it lacks thing but

all that changed when I bought an HD2 and so far it was the best, Lots of mods and support,

Plus it can dual boot android and now... WINDOWS Phone 7! now you can have best of both worlds

Never regret buying this baby

ive been using htc hd2 for almost 3 mos ..so far walang problema...madali gamitin.lalo na sa social networks one click lang fb ,tweeter, ..youtube..word,excel,powerpoint,onenote,..........pdf viewer..decent camera..big display. ... and super fast.......:)very satisfied

Thanks. You're right. And it can also run Android.

Any feedback from Nokia N8 and Samsung Galaxy S users here?

Can't help you with N8.

About Samsung Galaxy S, first if you're not a techie and don't care about customizing your phone that much and/or you're fond of taking pictures excessively then this phone is not for you. But if you're not, then you won't regret buying one. After comparing it to a friend's iPhone 4, I said to myself thank the heavens that I saved 15-20k php from getting this thing instead of an iPhone 4 especially if you know how to eliminate its problems (inaccurate GPS and laggy Eclair 2.1 OS) by flashing custom ROMs and stuffs.

i'd been a sucker for nokia phones ever since it appeared in the philippine market. but i've noticed their MAPS still sucks, at least for a heavy gps user. and the applications are flimsy compared to other phones. yes, the office suite was thrown in to my E72, but writing more than 100 characters is a pain. and has anybody seriously read an excel file in his phone without frustration? cells so tiny even the 5800 screen will just fit a few.

samsung galaxy uses the android os, which can be loaded with the rpmap thru osm, which was generally based from our latest rpmap. here's hoping galaxy tab can run the gps application too so it won't be limited to using the lame google maps (scanty database and unplotted provincial roads)

So far I've not had a problem with my Samsung B7610 Omnia Pro. It runs on Windows so its like having a handy-dandy little computer in my pocket.

One very important note about acquiring smart phones: take note of the internet and data connections. Even if you do switch off the application for internet and or data connection, it is easily turned on especially when you access certain web-based application like gmail/yahoo mail. You may be shocked that your internet charges will shoot up without you knowing it, not unless you have unlimitted internet access.

I suggest that, besides turning off your internet access, change also the internet address at the access point names. For example, for globe it is internet.globe.com.ph. (Obviously, I am a globe subscriber.rolleyes.gif) It would be better that you change the last prefix ".ph" to ".px" This will ensure that you have absolutely no connection to the internet. When you wish to connect, then, go back to the application setting and change the ".px" back to ".ph."

It's cumbersome, I know. But this will ensure that you do not acquire additional internet/data charges without you knowing it!

Edited by jgc813

Thanks, ive been customizing my Symbian powered Nokias since the Nokia 3650, i even tried playing with Python and customizing the phone to the hilt.

Seems that Symbian has nothing new to offer and would like to test/play with Android (i have an iPhone 3Gs and i use it often for text/calls/games/vids/music unlike the Nokia's that i owned that had more app offerings as well as functions)

I will test a Galaxy S first before i make the switch and say farewell to Nokia and Symbian

Can't help you with N8.

About Samsung Galaxy S, first if you're not a techie and don't care about customizing your phone that much and/or you're fond of taking pictures excessively then this phone is not for you. But if you're not, then you won't regret buying one. After comparing it to a friend's iPhone 4, I said to myself thank the heavens that I saved 15-20k php from getting this thing instead of an iPhone 4 especially if you know how to eliminate its problems (inaccurate GPS and laggy Eclair 2.1 OS) by flashing custom ROMs and stuffs.

• 2 weeks later...

i am now currently owning a Nokia N900, specs wise, ok naman cya.. only neg is the battery life.. everytime i connect to the internet either thru wifi or 3g.. dependable pa naman ako sa internet because i wanted to be online anywhere due to my business.. but i am satisfied with the internet especially the graphics coz all the features are in there..

i turned the other cheek to nokia cellphones simply because i believe they have already reached the peak of their popularity.

android is enjoying a very steep rise of their popularity nowadays.

thinking that android offers tons of free apps from their market apps, i decided to search for the cheapest cellphone with at least android 2.2 running on it.

at sar 949 + sar 100 worth of sim + car cradle, i thought lg optimus one p503 is a great bargain.

unfortunately, market apps is not installed. and that is i could not download that tons of free apps.

is there anyway i can get market apps anywhere?

tia

• 3 weeks later...

Why can't nokia put a 1ghz processor into this phone?

Haven't they learn their mistakes when they build the 5800?

admittedly, nokia hasn't come up with an iphone-killer, not that it doesn't want to. by now nokia must've realized there's very little future in symbian. only very few software houses developed programs for it. symbian games and apps are pathetic at best. nokia can't even come up with a decent dual-sim phone. yet its market share is still one big pie because of its phone design and physical features (n8's camera, for example).

if nokia wants to put in a powerful processor, it should be complemented with a more powerful os.

been using nokia n8 for 4 months now. my friend already had an iphone 3 and the other, an iphone 4. here are my notes on the 3 phones:

- nokia n8 is the cheapest of the 3

- nokia n8 capacity can be upgraded by putting additional storage cards

- the touchscreen response time for nokia is slower than that of the iphone. however you can boost response time by disabling the theme, albeit removing the animation when switching between screens

- you can download hundreds of free softwares from nokia ovi maps, more than what you can have from iphone

- the 12mpixel camera is superb than the 5 mpixel of iphone, compare them side by side, zooming in on the captured images, n8 has clear and crisp images while in iphone they start to pixelate both at the same level of zoom

- the hd video capacity is stunning. one time i had trouble with my videocam battery and used my n8 to capture the action, yet nobody at the office noticed the difference

- the hdmi connection to tv is great, what you see on the n8 screen is same on the tv, i even connected a mouse on the adaptor for the usb and its just like a small computer on a big screen

- the best thing i like on n8 that is a great help to me is the free nokia ovi maps. i used to go to different locations and the free ovi map helps a lot in locating the venue, complete with voice narration. you can also check you car speed limit without looking at the speedometer. i also downloaded all the different languages which is fun coz the taxi driver, regardless of nationality, can understand the directions.

- the best thing i like on n8 that is a great help to me is the free nokia ovi maps. i used to go to different locations and the free ovi map helps a lot in locating the venue, complete with voice narration. you can also check you car speed limit without looking at the speedometer. i also downloaded all the different languages which is fun coz the taxi driver, regardless of nationality, can understand the directions.

congratulations on being a happy user of Ovi Maps. but if you use it quite often you'll notice that the detailed/complete maps are only manila, cebu and baguio. the rest of the country's towns and cities have only 3 streets at most. database is so thin it's a waste of time to type in your destination. if you get hooked in gps, i suggest you try the rpmap (downloadable in www.roadguide.ph) in a windows-based samsung phone, then you'll be twice (or thrice) happy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sold my Galaxy S2. It was fast, but had flaws like with sound on some apps causes apps to force close(like Star Legends, for example). I got the Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0 ICS) and I am loving it. Pure android with no bloatware (like Samsung store and apps) or GUI (Samsung Touchwiz or HTC Sense)... just a pure Android experience. It might seem like a step down (5mp camera instead of 8mp of S2, but Nexus has "Zero-lag Shutter"), but the fact that it is the Google Android flagship phone this year means that Android is optimized to run on that hardware and it gets the updates first. Closest thing to Iphone hardware/software optimization.

The S2 will get the ICS 4.0 update this Spring, but only after they get all their Samsung customization into it. Then, the S3 should be out later in the year...again with Samsung's software locked into it. I'm getting to the point that I have to trade up my cell every 6 months to keep up...

• 2 weeks later...