His Airness Michael Jordan

revo20012000

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just here to bump any and all posts that say MJ is still the greatest of all.....there's no question, regardless of what anyone else says.

It's not just his game. It's also the impact he had on the league that made it the global phenomenon it is today.

But you guys already know that... :)

Pahabol lang...

There are other great players out there who have the potential to achieve greatness, but they still have a long way to go to reach the stature of an MJ.....and it ain't just about the number of rings, baby!

I've been watching NBA since 1969 (oops, bistado na :blink: ), so before some kid comes in and tries to give me a history lesson, I'm outta here! Nice thread, guys! You are the ones who know your hoops!

Pahabol lang...

There are other great players out there who have the potential to achieve greatness, but they still have a long way to go to reach the stature of an MJ.....and it ain't just about the number of rings, baby!

I've been watching NBA since 1969 (oops, bistado na :blink: ), so before some kid comes in and tries to give me a history lesson, I'm outta here! Nice thread, guys! You are the ones who know your hoops!

Great post!!! :cool:

"It ain't just about the number of rings.." And let me add.. it ain't about the number of MVPs, it ain't the number of records broken.. Its how you impact the game.. Greatness is not measured by the rings.. its measured by your impact.. your contribution.. In this sense, revolution, globalization.. That is why MJ is MJ.. "arguably the best player to ever play the game.." He carried the League's torch and boy did he really carry it.. He did not just successfully revolutionized the NBA.. he revolutionized the game itself.. and that to me would make him the greatest.. and that to me would make his contribution be written in stone..

so do you mean MJ's legacy and greatness is forever carved in stone? What if kung pati ung "impact to the game" na sinasabi ko eh malampasan din ng isang player na mas may charisma at drama?

Anyway, I want Jordan to forever relish that stature. If there's anyone i want to become the greatest ever legend, i want it to be him, just him. let the other uprising greats or even wannabes make their own name.

so do you mean MJ's legacy and greatness is forever carved in stone? What if kung pati ung "impact to the game" na sinasabi ko eh malampasan din ng isang player na mas may charisma at drama?

Anyway, I want Jordan to forever relish that stature. If there's anyone i want to become the greatest ever legend, i want it to be him, just him. let the other uprising greats or even wannabes make their own name.

Again, maaring malampasan ni DWade, ni LBJ, ni OJ Mayo, or ni Adam Morrison ang "impact to the game" na sinasabi ko.. maaring magkakaroon ng isang player na overwhelming ang charisma at napakadramatic ng mga ginagawa.. But still.. IMHO, hindi matitinag ang legacy at ang iconic stature ni Jordan.. In this regard, I am answering in the affirmative.. It will be forever be carved in stone.. Why? Again because he was the first to successfully revolutionize the game.. and no one can ever take that away from him.. The monicker.. "arguably the best player to ever play the game.." will forever be etched not just in history books but in stone.. :P

Media and fans always want to find out who would be the next Jordan? Kobe, DWade, LBJ.. Most of the most popular players of today are not being monickered as the next Magic, Bird, Wilt or Russel.. They are being labeled as the next Air Apparent.. And that for one makes Jordan's stature even greater and stronger..

Again, maaring malampasan ni DWade, ni LBJ, ni OJ Mayo, or ni Adam Morrison ang "impact to the game" na sinasabi ko.. maaring magkakaroon ng isang player na overwhelming ang charisma at napakadramatic ng mga ginagawa.. But still.. IMHO, hindi matitinag ang legacy at ang iconic stature ni Jordan.. In this regard, I am answering in the affirmative.. It will be forever be carved in stone.. Why? Again because he was the first to successfully revolutionize the game.. and no one can ever take that away from him.. The monicker.. "arguably the best player to ever play the game.." will forever be etched not just in history books but in stone.. :P

Media and fans always want to find out who would be the next Jordan? Kobe, DWade, LBJ.. Most of the most popular players of today are not being monickered as the next Magic, Bird, Wilt or Russel.. They are being labeled as the next Air Apparent.. And that for one makes Jordan's stature even greater and stronger..

very well said...couldnt agree more... :thumbsupsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just don't think that there will ever be another player as great and as dominant as Michael Jordan. His accomplishments with the Chicago Bulls speak for itself, as they were a franchise without any championship tradition (unlike the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers). The great Chicago Bulls championship run throughout the 1990's is even more impressive when you consider that it was Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and a collection of role players throughout most of that stretch. The Bulls were not fortunate to have a dominant center, yet they still won championships using the likes of Bill Cartwright, Will Perdue, Bill Wennington, and Luc Longley at center (granted the NBA had already evolved to the point that it was no longer a game dominated by Hall Of Fame-caliber centers like Mikan, Russell, Chamberlain, Jabbar, etc.).

While there have since been pretenders to Jordan (such as Kobe Bryant), hogging the ball from your teammates to score 60-something points on a given night does not ensure leading your team to become a championship squad. Sure, Kobe has won several rings but that is only because he was playing "Robin" to Shaq's "Batman". Kobe will probably never win another NBA championship as long as his large ego demands that he be "the man" on any team that he plays on.

I just don't think that there will ever be another player as great and as dominant as Michael Jordan. His accomplishments with the Chicago Bulls speak for itself, as they were a franchise without any championship tradition (unlike the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers). The great Chicago Bulls championship run throughout the 1990's is even more impressive when you consider that it was Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and a collection of role players throughout most of that stretch. The Bulls were not fortunate to have a dominant center, yet they still won championships using the likes of Bill Cartwright, Will Perdue, Bill Wennington, and Luc Longley at center (granted the NBA had already evolved to the point that it was no longer a game dominated by Hall Of Fame-caliber centers like Mikan, Russell, Chamberlain, Jabbar, etc.).

While there have since been pretenders to Jordan (such as Kobe Bryant), hogging the ball from your teammates to score 60-something points on a given night does not ensure leading your team to become a championship squad. Sure, Kobe has won several rings but that is only because he was playing "Robin" to Shaq's "Batman". Kobe will probably never win another NBA championship as long as his large ego demands that he be "the man" on any team that he plays on.

Yeah Kobe was the Robin when they won 3 rings, I just hope he gets a Pippen this time around. Oh have you seen the way Kobe plays lately? It's people like you who keeps comparing Kobe to MJ. Kobe is not going to be MJ, no one will ever be. Kobe is Kobe!!!

I am a Michael Jordan fan.. If you check out my signature, you would see his name there..I have posted in this thread and defended the man they call "Air Jordan.." But the second paragraph I have quoted above made me twitch a little bit.. Okay, I have to say made me raise my eyebrows and say, "Hmmmm..."

Whenever I see Kobe plays, his style, his movements remind me of Mr. Jordan.. Kobe fans might say differently but that is how I see Kobe play.. Now, is he a Jordan "wanna-be"? I dunno and I don't think so.. He is Kobe.. He wears a different jersey number, for crying out loud.. Okay, let us say he wants to be like Mike.. Anything wrong with that? MJ is a great example of a good basketball player.. Trying to follow his footsteps ain't bad at all.. Michael Jordan is not perfect much like Kobe --- coz nobody else is.. There is nothing wrong with having pretenders to the throne.. Hell, I don't think LBJ will be a Jordan.. There would forever be only one revolutionary of the game.. the catalyst.. Its Jordan, dude..

Now let us go back to your statement that Shaq was Batman and Kobe was Robin.. Who told you that? Media did not present that LA team that way.. And are you sure that Kobe was Robin.. Hindi kaya Kobe was Batman and Shaq was Robin.. Its like this, Kobe and Shaq, were considered as duos in media's perspective.. They co-owned the Lakers during their championship runs.. Shaq left and Kobe was left with so-so players.. Lamar Odom, IMHO, is not within the caliber of a Scottie Pippen.. Even with the current winning ways of LA, Odom is not the Robin I want to see with Kobe's Batman..

In Chicago, MJ was clearly the Batman and Pippen was the Robin.. Media presented the team as such.. And we, as fans, gobbled it up.. But it was clearly the case coz when Jordan left after Chicago's 3rd championship, Pippen was not able to lead the Bulls with Ron Harper as his side kick.. So who was Batman? Jordan is..

In LA, when Kobe was just a rookie, Shaq was not able to lead the LA team with sidekicks such as Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones.. When Kobe blossomed that was when Shaq tasted the trophy.. So who was Batman in this case? Shaq or Kobe.. I would say both were Batmen.. Both led.. Its more correct to say that maybe, Superman was Shaq and Batman was Kobe.. Coz both superheroes are considered as the leaders of the JLA.. Comprende?

Kobe may not win a championship.. But without DWade, Shaq may not have won his 4th ring.. How is that?

Its not a disgrace if one idolizes Jordan.. Kobe, LBJ, Melo? How about "wanna be Jordans" who were failures: Isiah Rider, Harold Miner? Players idolize other players.. TMac idolized Penny.. There is nothing wrong with that.. I think it adds to Jordan's mystique if he is compared to a lot of the young players of today.. Kobe included..

Kobe as a ball-hog? I would have answered you, but this is sounding like a Kobe thread rather than a Jordan thread.. Take your hate in the Kobe thread where boibastos, peeptom, airmax and PBP would gladly answer you back..

Edited by revi
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be.

If i'm not mistaken, this is etched in the statue outside United Center.

Give respect to the man's legacy. He changed the game of BBall.

Mike himself once said that someday, there might actually be someone who's better than him. (in an interview with Scoop in some Slam issue. nakalimutan ko na) Is it possible? pwede. But Mike was the first. He set the standards.

The greatest player of all time.

I like to think that there are no Jordan wanna-bes. Kobe, Lebron, DWade and all these others they label as "heir-apparents" will eventually create their own unique legacies. So, I'll still give these kids their due. There will never be another Michael Jordan.

MJ is so good that he's bad for today's NBA.

Take the case for example: Kobe. He's always measured against MJ. Despite playing almost the same style, same dunks and flash, he's beenscrutinized by the media and haters coz he's been measured up against a standard so high na bawat mali nya and his now infamous morale break-down equate this talented scorer into a loser. Pressured si Kobe na pantayan si Jordan but ultimately, he will forever fail.

Lebron. first finals game. got flopped. The King turned into burger king and was handily eaten by spurs tough defense. While most columnist either criticized lbj or praise the spurs, other columnist started saying that "during MJ's first finals game, he scored this...did that...blah blah blah.."......so unfair. di na maka move-on ang mga future greats kasi porket flashy ang malulupit mag dunk, jordan-wannabe na agad ang tawag.

Buti pa si duncan, tahimik lang pero rock. I wonder why no one measure him against Bill Russell or Shaq with Wilt Chamberlain.

I think we have too much Jordans. this is 2007. Let's move on. Let his legendary jersey hang inthe United Center rafters or his flashymoves in the nba video archives. I just find it unfair for the present stars being branded as a failure because they come up short on being a Jordan.