Philippine/filipino References In A Foreign Movie

The people who gets offended easily about bad reference in foreign movies are 3rd world countries. Developed countries get ridiculed all the time and they don't get so sentimental. I don't say it's a bad thing. It's just what I observe.

exactly :D

maybe it's all with neocolonialism crap the leftists spew :evil:

agree agree... Filipinos are partiularly sensitive about this. Others also do, but i dont think at the fanatical levels pinoys do.. take the movie Borat and its diss on Kazhasktan.. can u imagine if Borat said he was from the Philippines instead? hehe

last night i was watching Jay Leno on the Tonight show on cable.. part of his opening monologue was poking fun at China and the Beijing Olympics.. he joked China was so busy preparing that they are making the 6 years old work double shifts :rolleyes: and he also made a joke referencing the Tianamen Massacre (w/c happened in the 80s pa!)

I said to myself, boy Jay got some b*lls poking fun of arguably the #2 or even #1 most powerful country.. with a few BILLION citizens who might take offense.. but i think as the above post mentioned, most other countries arent bothered by jokes like this.

and not to be OT... i remembered Jay also made a crack (w/c i think was in 2004? I think during Olympic season also coincidentally enough) before when the Philippines withdrew... what tiny contingent it has in the first place... in Afghanistan (? i think) bec some Pinoys were taken hostage... Jay made a crack about the Philippines running for Gold in Sprinting... hehe so namention tayo dati.. pero ang daming napikon and cried for a Public Apology..

same deal about Desperate Housewives....

In fact, the Pinoy's constant reaction might be seen as preditable already at this point that if I was a Hollywood writer, id make a joke about it... a character makes a crack about the Philippines... then another character would say 'careful... we might get tons of angry emails demanding an apology... :rolleyes:

pwede ba isali Philippine/Filipino references in Foreign COMICS? :rolleyes: marami din yan...

one famous example is in Mark Waid and Alex Ross' critically aclaimed Kingdom Come...

in the climactic scene, (an older) Superman went on a rampage inside the UN Building.. and delegates everywhere scattered all over.. there are several foreign dialogues... one of them is in Pilipino.. something like "takbo kayo! nandyan na ang siraulo!!!"

I laughed at this bec the dialogue/translation sounds a bit weird. I always wondered who the heck the writer consulted for the 'translation'. And i thought it was strange that a Philippine representative to the UN wouldnt know basic English to scream "Run for your lives" and who the heck does he expect to understand him. (baka si Erap or si Jinggoy ang UN rep na yun... hehe) E in all these decades nga of various Beauty pageants alam ko wala bang ni isang RP contestant ang nagrequire ng translator e... UN ambassador pa...

wala lang.. talking about Phil references in a Foreign "medium"... hehe :hypocritesmiley:

Don't Mess with the Zohan.

Don't know if pinoy references tong mga to:

may scene na naglalaro sila sorta like our local "sipa"

next scene may tug of war, kalabaw yung huling hinihila ni zohan.

plus andun si rob schneider.

Not to mention Alec Mapa!!!

Speaking of Mr. Schneider, he plays a Middle Eastern operative out to get Zohan...kinda reminds me of a similar role he played in Click (there, he was an Arab sheik commissioning a project from Mr. Sandler's char). I even got to see "I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry"...kwela rin siya roon as the Japanese officiating priest!

Don't Mess with the Zohan.

Don't know if pinoy references tong mga to:

may scene na naglalaro sila sorta like our local "sipa"

next scene may tug of war, kalabaw yung huling hinihila ni zohan.

plus andun si rob schneider.

every adam sandler/rob schneider movie has reference to pinoys because rob is half filipino...

look at deuce bigalow... there's a reference there about bibingka

Singit lang, But there is also a scene from the HIT TV series " THe Sopranos" about a man who was running a prosti house in New Jersey. It even mentioned that he was married with a filipino wife. The wife was also crying "Tama na, Tama na" while his husband was being beaten up for not paying points for what he owed. hehe She even got slapped on a couple of times for interfering. Anyhoo, i know its not a movie but then i've seen several refences from comics and the news.

:goatee:

how bout pinoy references that are good and something to be actually proud of? it seems like the only time philippines is mentioned in a hollywood movie is when they're referring to:

1. child prostitution.. or just "regular" prostitution in general

2. child labor

3. terrorism

4. drug smuggling

5. WWII

6. mail order Bride ( jarhead movie )

• 4 weeks later...
ya, napanood ko yan dati sa abc 5 nung bago pa lang sila. ok yung movie. extra pa doon si leo martinez. payat pa sya noon and nakatali sa sa jeepney at hinihila sya. may nakita din ako sa rpn 9 dati na movie. matagal na. mga '88 or '89. bida yung artista ng tv show sa abs-cbn dati, yung highway man. kalaban nya si jaime fabrigas sa movie

I remember this one....

* in the film "i not stupid" by singaporean director actor/director jack neo, there's this scene where the kidnapped chinese student was asking his kidnapper to put some butter on his bread to w/c the kidnapper respond: "i'm not your filipino miad".

* in the "rock", there's this guy in the kitchen of the fairmont hotel who got bumped by sean connery. he was yelling: "hayop!. p*tang ina mo! anak ka ng P*ta!"

* in "the sleeping dictionary", the male lead was asking his "sleeping dictionary" (played by jessica alba) to teach him speak the local dialect by translating the body parts he touches. and when he got to her breast, she said: susu.

Sa Bahasa -- i think its the same... in bahasa Kambing is the same... kaya hit din doon ang mga kanta ni Ka Freddie...

Yung ibang Chuck Norris Movie -- Delta Force 3 not really sure.. andoon pa si Subas Herrero at ibang mga Filipino.. supposedly sa Central America ang setting... The last big figth was set in the Palace in the Sky...I remember because during the filming of the movie one PAF Sikorshy helicopter (use for the film) crash landed killing the crew. Mga mid 80's pa ata...

• 5 months later...

Ping Pong Playa

1. - a teen challenge the bida. The challenger was from Manila and spoke tagalog.

2. one of the students (taba kid) of the bida - was eating a big "Boy Bawang". It was my wife who noticed the big bawang. I paused it and used the zoom feature. It is confirmed to be boy bawang.

• 4 weeks later...

CSI NY Season 5 Episode 19

Opening scene :

A man is walking pass different nationalities in a train. He passby this couple who said mahal kita (very clearly) and the male answered in tagalog also. in fact too clear. then this guy gets attacked.

Title: 	Communication Breakdown
Episode #: 	05x19
Production Number: 	519
Original Airdate: 	Wednesday March 25th, 2009

The CSI's investigate the murder of a Native American chief, who was found shot dead on a subway. While the investigation moves smoothly at first, the team then realizes that all their suspects are foreigners who do not speak English.

Edited by puretuts
  • 2 weeks later...

Red Belt - Arnis/Kali Guro Dan Inosanto appeared Ju-jitso guro

In my film Boom Boom Mancini portrays a character modeled upon Danny Inosanto. Dan is the world’s Sensei, or most revered teacher, of kali, or Filipino knife fighting. He learned from the generation of his fathers and uncles who taught the American G.I.’s in the Pacific war. He was a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne, was the first man to receive a black belt from Bruce Lee and teaches, to this day, in his academy in California, and to police and military personnel around the world.

My film, “Redbelt,” is about jiujitsu. In the film the redbelt is that unique honor possessed by the form’s most revered teacher. I needed someone, in the film’s last sequence, to portray this teacher, and at the film’s end to pass on the belt to his elected disciple (Chiwetel Ejiofor). Over the course of preproduction I discussed the casting with Renato Magno, my teacher and the film’s fight choreographer and producer. “We need,” I said, “someone with the face of a fighter, someone like Dan Inosanto,” and, over the months of preproduction Renato kept suggesting, “What about Dan Inosanto?” until one day, I suppose it became my idea, and I said, “What about Dan Inosanto” who plays the part, and whose face tells the film’s story: that all fighters are sad. Who could play that part who was not a great fighter? No one.