Linux Anybody?

been using linux for software development and server deployment.

utilizing linux for a regular workstation OS isn't hard if you've used DOS and unix based environments before in terms of the command line and a old windows NT based environment for the GU Interface.

in terms of software development, most of the great development IDEs and DB APIs are directly compatible with linux. however, utilizing VB in linux seems like a bad idea since VB has been directly developed under a windows and COM environment. in order to utilize VB in linux, one has to rehash all the COM, ADO, MTS, and DCOM component + the other third party APIs needed to support the developed VB application.

however, if you're really intent on using VB, sourceforge offers VB for linux at http://sourceforge.net/projects/vb4linux/. haven't personally tried this out yet. just tell me how it turns out. :thumbsupsmiley:

rather if you're moving to a linux environment in the office, better alternative is to migrate to java or c++ which is also compatible to many development languages and DBs (PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, etc).

one disadvantage of utilizing linux is the lack of graphics rendering applications available. maybe, once autocad and adobe provides complete packages for linux would be the time i'd switch fully to linux. but as of the moment, having linux on VM or the reverse, windows on VM would be the best way to go.

JMHO... :sorcerer:

however, if you're really intent on using VB, sourceforge offers VB for linux at  http://sourceforge.net/projects/vb4linux/. haven't personally tried this out yet. just tell me how it turns out.  :thumbsupsmiley:

checked the link out, it isn't done yet, no downloadable files. thanks for the tip anyway. :cool:

googled "visual basic for windows", the closest thing i found was phoenix by janus software, its shareware as of now, not free hehe :lol:

well im a linux user din pero like what im doing now is not just programmings stuff.

i am looking for a company na pwede ako mag training pati administrations at pwede ako mag certified san kaya maganda?

PM naman kung meron kayo idea san.

ty.

well im a linux user din pero like what im doing now is not just programmings stuff.

i am looking for a company na pwede ako mag training pati administrations at pwede ako mag certified san kaya maganda?

PM naman kung meron kayo idea san.

ty.

Red Hat Linux has their call center support there in the Philippines.

I'm not sure about their company name but you can try -

TOUCH SOLUTIONS, INC.

I have called them before and you can inquire information from them

regarding any certification or they may refer you to their affiliate

Educational Centers.

try this link:

http://www.apac.redhat.com/distributors.php3

I'd like to migrate to Linux from MS Windows. What's a practical approach to this without losing files?

Ideally, Open Office should be able to work with the MS Office suite files (DOC, XLS, etc), but I don't know if this is true. What are your experiences regarding this?

Edited by floppydrive
Linux Security is all really a state of mind. Back then, there werent a lot of security issues with it because not a lot of people have really been using it. A lot have been using it for Servers, but not for Desktops. But now that there are... the hackers have more reasons to write intrusive programs so we see these starting to come out of the woodworks.

If you really think about it, Linux would be the most vulnerable to attacks since the source code of the kernel is available to anyone and there's no need to reverse engineer any of the OS modules to figure out how it works.. except of course for the commercial releases like RedHat, etc. So I guess it really boils down to the fact that we know that at least for the most of these technical hackers, we know that they are obviously more sympathetic to the open source movement, than they are to the Evil Empire.

As far as market share is concerned, Linux still remains to occupy the server niche more than the desktop users and I don't really see it tipping to the other end in the near future.

NASA, CIA and NSA uses Linux for security work. Windows started as desktop solution with little concern for security. It has only been lately that Microsoft has been patching security holes because of industry complaints. Linux was designed with security in mind from the beginning. An excellent tool in the wrong hands is definitely useless. I very much doubt that peaking on the source code of the Linux kernel can open it to hacking.

Edited by masterblaster
I'd like to migrate to Linux from MS Windows.  What's a practical approach to this without losing files?

Ideally, Open Office should be able to work with the MS Office suite files (DOC, XLS, etc), but I don't know if this is true.  What are your experiences regarding this?

What do you mean when you say "a practical approach"? If your aim is to simply not lose any files, the most practical approach would be to back-it up first before doing anything to your PC. If your aim is to migrate without backing-up data, then you'll just have to be very careful about which options you pick during installation. There is no definitive answer to this question since in the world of computing, something that applies on one PC may not apply to another. :headsetsmiley:

Yes it should work with your office files. I've been using OpenOffice at work without any problems while my officemates are using M$ Office. :cool:

What do you mean when you say "a practical approach"? If your aim is to simply not lose any files, the most practical approach would be to back-it up first before doing anything to your PC. If your aim is to migrate without backing-up data, then you'll just have to be very careful about which options you pick during installation. There is no definitive answer to this question since in the world of computing, something that applies on one PC may not apply to another.  :headsetsmiley:

Yes it should work with your office files. I've been using OpenOffice at work without any problems while my officemates are using M$ Office.  :cool:

What I meant by "practical approach without losing files" is to still be able to work with all the existing data (DOC, XLS, PUB (publisher), PPT, etc) files, and having minimal down time in transferring to Linux.

Would you guys recommend using a dual boot (linux and WinXP) or any other method to ensure that things work fine before finally removing WinXP? Or would it be more practical to get a new computer, set it up as a Linux system, then transfer all the files?

BTW, what Linux package would you guys recommend? Red Hat, Mandrake, etc? WIll basically use the computer for word processing, spreadsheet, presentation (using Powerpoint now), and email & web surfing.

Ano kaya maganda sa dalawa? any info? I know many are using Windows but those who run servers sometimes use Linux. What's the difference?

Linux gives you a lot of freedom for implementing solid information technology solutions previously synonymous only to commercial software. For little money or no money at all, you can have access to compiler, application servers, database, browser, publishing, graphics and imaging solutions using Linux. Also with Linux, it gives you the "best of breed" or "cutting edge" solutions without the wait. Here's one example. To deploy a 64-bit application server with a database in Windows with 25 users, you need at least $5,000 to deploy in one machine. To deploy a 64-bit application server with a database in Linux with unlimited users, you need $50 (support cost) for unlimited number of machines. With the explosion of open source solutions mostly in the Linux OS, you should have no problem finding an open source solution that will meet your needs. Most of major IT companies in the US utilizes Linux to operate their business, for example, Yahoo and Google.

Hi,

HTML is a portable scripting language so it could run on any operating system.  All you need is a browser to view the output. 

If you want to write HTML scripts, Linux already has several editors bundled with it.

thanks, discoverd GEDIT and incidentally, we found out that even in OpenOffice Writer one can also write html :)

linux experts, where can i get a cd of popular linux apps? like window managers, etc. i know there are lots on the web but i was thinking of installing in PCs without a modem/internet connection. is there such a cd? or maybe someone could lend me theirs and i'll just burn a copy. :lol:

anyway, i just inquired in an Informatics branch about their Open Source Course (includes Linux and Unix). they only have one and the registrar said that their head is reluctant about opening/offering it. i don't know why, its such a shame. third world countries like ours should be a hotbed of encouragement for Linux.

What I meant by "practical approach without losing files" is to still be able to work with all the existing data (DOC, XLS, PUB (publisher), PPT, etc) files, and having minimal down time in transferring to Linux.

Would you guys recommend using a dual boot (linux and WinXP) or any other method to ensure that things work fine before finally removing WinXP?  Or would it be more practical to get a new computer, set it up as a Linux system, then transfer all the files?

BTW, what Linux package would you guys recommend?  Red Hat, Mandrake, etc?  WIll basically use the computer for word processing, spreadsheet, presentation (using Powerpoint now), and email & web surfing.

use vmware for linux to emulate windows and windows apps while running in linux. vmware provides a 30-day trial period, so have enough time to easily migrate your "windows files" to whichever linux app you want.

thanks, discoverd GEDIT and incidentally, we found out that even in OpenOffice Writer one can also write html  :)

linux experts, where can i get a cd of popular linux apps? like window managers, etc. i know there are lots on the web but i was thinking of installing in PCs without a modem/internet connection. is there such a cd? or maybe someone could lend me theirs and i'll just burn a copy.  :lol:

anyway, i just inquired in an Informatics branch about their Open Source Course (includes Linux and Unix). they only have one and the registrar said that their head is reluctant about opening/offering it. i don't know why, its such a shame. third world countries like ours should be a hotbed of encouragement for Linux.

download ka na lang. burn mo, tapos, pagbenta mo sa mga stall sa tiangge. kikita ka pa. hehehe. :lol:

Linux is not prone to virus since most viruses out there target Microsoft-based programs/documents.  Although im not discounting the possiblity of being attacked by a Linux virus.

Linux is great for business.  No license fees, no raids, nothing to pay for.

But Linux graphics are no better than Microsoft.  Difficult to use graphics and multimedia.  If you're into graphics and multimedia, Linux isn't the way to go.  Even Mozilla Firefox has problems getting graphics correctly in a Linux operating system

Try installing flash 7 for graphics problem.

Linux is not prone to virus since most viruses out there target Microsoft-based programs/documents.  Although im not discounting the possiblity of being attacked by a Linux virus.

Linux is great for business.  No license fees, no raids, nothing to pay for.

But Linux graphics are no better than Microsoft.  Difficult to use graphics and multimedia.  If you're into graphics and multimedia, Linux isn't the way to go.  Even Mozilla Firefox has problems getting graphics correctly in a Linux operating system

agree that under linux, graphics have a lot more room to grow. but mozilla firefox should not have any problem rendering graphics. it might be that your video card isn't properly installed, you're not using the correct linux driver for the video card. JMHO... :thumbsupsmiley:

use vmware for linux to emulate windows and windows apps while running in linux. vmware provides a 30-day trial period, so have enough time to easily migrate your "windows files" to whichever linux app you want.

I agree. If your aim is to have minimal downtime while using (or rather, testing...) linux, just setup either a virtual machine or a separate machine, test from there and migrate when you've ensured all your apps are running fine. :headsetsmiley:

I also noticed that once the system slows down, it will remain slow even if you close other windows.  Why?

I think this is the memory leak that Firefox has/had so there's really no solving it 'till they release a patch. Just shut down the entire Firefox for it to release the memory. :headsetsmiley:

Help, I am a newbie.  Is there a distro that support "Dlink" internal winmodem or external usb modem?  Thanks.

Hello johnlove. If you need a driver for winmodems in Linux, you can check here: http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-installer.php where people with Conexant compatible winmodems usually go.

As for external usb modems, I think most distros support those by default now but I might be wrong. If you want the best distros to go for with default support for usb would be Mandriva, Fedora, Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS. You can check out their websites via Google for more information.

If you need more help, don't hesitate to ask!

Would you guys recommend using a dual boot (linux and WinXP) or any other method to ensure that things work fine before finally removing WinXP?  Or would it be more practical to get a new computer, set it up as a Linux system, then transfer all the files?

BTW, what Linux package would you guys recommend?  Red Hat, Mandrake, etc?  WIll basically use the computer for word processing, spreadsheet, presentation (using Powerpoint now), and email & web surfing.

Another practical approach would be for you to download a Live CD (like Ubuntu or Mandriva One) and boot off that to see if your systems are compatible with it. The nice thing about it is that it will run off your RAM and CD drive so your hard disk won't be touched. You can fiddle around with it and see if it's to your liking before you decide to take the plunge and install it. A few simple commands in the built-in terminals will allow you to see your old files in your HD so you can tinker with them and see if they're compatible, but you should be careful when allowing access to your HD at any time.

Hope this helps!