Linux Anybody?

pag linux ba ang gagamitin mong os sa intrenet cafe may huhuli daw sau, may nakapag sabi lang sa akin, eh ang alam ko open lisence etong linux kaya nga mas advisable siyang gamitin kaysa windows dahil sa presyo.tama ba ako?

Actually, I've heard that there are some internet cafes which is switching to Linux. Marami kc ngayon hinuhuli na computer shops which is using unlicensed windows OS.

The problem lang with linux is medyo mahirap mag port ng games kc most are really intended for the windows platform.

• 2 weeks later...
anybody here who can provide a link/tip to enabling/disabling telnet and remote admin in suse?

tnx

In Suse, telnetd is disabled by default. Just in case, here are the instructions if it is enabled.

Disabling telnet for Unix systems running inetd

==============================

To disable telnetd, edit /etc/inetd.conf and comment out the telnetd entry and then refresh inetd. In /etc/inetd.conf there is a line like

telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd

which can be found by search the string telnet. Comment it out by putting the pound character ("#") at the beginning of the line so that the entry looks like

#telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd

Save the file and then send the UP signal to inetd. This can usually be done with the commands

cd /etc/rc.d/init.d

./inet reload

If your inet rc script does not support "reload", or you cannot find an equivalent file in the /etc/rc* directory, then find the process id using

ps auxw | grep inetd | grep -v grep

and send the process the HUP signal using

k*ll -HUP PID

where "PID" in the above is replaced by the actual process ID for inetd (the number returned in the second field of the "ps" command issued above).

• 3 weeks later...

hi linux guys, just tried out ubuntu

its great! babay windows hehe

just a few questions:

*will it have problems with hardware and peripherals? napapansin ko sa manuals ng printer (for example) walang installation guide for linux

*bakit may bayad na ang staroffice? 89 dollars, tsk. alam ko libre yun dati. san ako makakakuha ng libre? meron ba?

*meron bang database software (like MS Access) para sa linux na mababa lang ang RAM requirements? yung sa open office 2 ay 128 mb ang requirement.

please help guys :lol:

hi linux guys, just tried out ubuntu

its great! babay windows hehe

just a few questions:

*will it have problems with hardware and peripherals? napapansin ko sa manuals ng printer (for example) walang installation guide for linux

*bakit may bayad na ang staroffice? 89 dollars, tsk. alam ko libre yun dati. san ako makakakuha ng libre? meron ba?

*meron bang database software (like MS Access) para sa linux na mababa lang ang RAM requirements? yung sa open office 2 ay 128 mb ang requirement.

please help guys :lol:

ubuntu and centos user here

-actually if you use cups ma-de-detect yung printer mo (you also must provide info about your printer)

-use openoffice, ver 2 is very stable and in-league with MSofficeXP

-marami db.. mysql,postgresql,i-think adabas,you can also try sybase express for linux and oracle-lite for linux...but pinakapopular ang mysql sa opensource developers same as postgresql

ubuntu and centos user here

-actually if you use cups ma-de-detect yung printer mo (you also must provide info about your printer)

-use openoffice, ver 2 is very stable and in-league with MSofficeXP

-marami db.. mysql,postgresql,i-think adabas,you can also try sybase express for linux and oracle-lite for linux...but pinakapopular ang mysql sa opensource developers same as postgresql

bossing i tried installing ubuntu into an old computer, P3 siya with 64 mb ram. in short, kaya naman niya requirements pero ayaw mag-install.

pagdating sa "installing the base system" na step nag-e-error na huhuhu

help!

ang theory ko ay gusto niya ng "clean" na hardrive, as in parang bago.

pano ba "linisin" ang isang hard drive na may laman na dati. we tried "format" pero error parin sa installation

help!

Actually, I've heard that there are some internet cafes which is switching to Linux. Marami kc ngayon hinuhuli na computer shops which is using unlicensed windows OS.

The problem lang with linux is medyo mahirap mag port ng games kc most are really intended for the windows platform.

Yeah, since the games are compiled (and optimized :P ) for the Windows architecture, running them on Linux makes quite a bothersome experience. Wine and Cedega are making it a whole lot easier though one step at a time. :headsetsmiley:

bossing i tried installing ubuntu into an old computer, P3 siya with 64 mb ram. in short, kaya naman niya requirements pero ayaw mag-install.

pagdating sa "installing the base system" na step nag-e-error na huhuhu

help!

ang theory ko ay gusto niya ng "clean" na hardrive, as in parang bago.

pano ba "linisin" ang isang hard drive na may laman na dati. we tried "format" pero error parin sa installation

help!

What error are you experiencing? I've also had errors installing Ubuntu on my latest PC. Problem is it can't read my CD. Weird since I only just received it from ShipIt. Anyway, you should never forget to jot down error messages when you're asking for help. :headsetsmiley:

Just format it. It deletes everything from your harddrive. Anything more would be overkill. :headsetsmiley:

I ordered UBUNTU linux sa web.. and ready for pickup ko na raw sa post ofice... :P magrun ba ang adobe softwares sa ubuntu linux? pati YM and chikka? if yes, buhay na ko.. pwede na me magshift sa LINUX...

If you're pertaining to the Windows version of Adobe's suite, no it won't run as is on a Linux machine. You can make it run though by using Wine. As for YM, there is no Linux version of their messenger. Linux however has a more powerful messenger named Gaim (I think... :unsure: ) which can also access other messenger services. For chikka, there is a version in Java which you could use since they have no installers for Linux. You could really shift your entire PC to Linux, you just need to know alternative appications to your Windows ones. :headsetsmiley:

What error are you experiencing? I've also had errors installing Ubuntu on my latest PC. Problem is it can't read my CD. Weird since I only just received it from ShipIt. Anyway, you should never forget to jot down error messages when you're asking for help.  :headsetsmiley:

Just format it. It deletes everything from your harddrive. Anything more would be overkill. :headsetsmiley:

thanks for the reply sir

the error is in installing the base system. the install stops at that step

the computer says: "base system installation error. the debootstrap

program exited with an error (return value 1). Check /var/log/messages or see virtual console 3 for the details"

how do you format a hard drive? is it from the command prompt then "format c:" ?

help! :lol:

thanks for the reply sir

the error is in installing the base system. the install stops at that step

the computer says: "base system installation error. the debootstrap

program exited with an error (return value 1). Check /var/log/messages or see virtual console 3 for the details"

how do you format a hard drive? is it from the command prompt then "format c:" ?

help! :lol:

Hmm...vague error message it is (yoda :P )...sorry if I can't help on this one...maybe another MTCer has another suggestion... :cry:

Yes that is the command to format your harddrive... :headsetsmiley:

Edited by R@v3n

Good day. would like to ask help in installing c++ compiler (gnu or a better one). Here is the scenario: 2 suse servers and 5 red hat workstations. would like to ask which deployment type is better - install in suse server and access it in red hat clients or install the compiler in individual workstations. For both sceanrios how is it done?

Many thanks!

I've tried runnning Red Hat Linux 9. Mahirap sa una. conduct ako alot of research and hanap ako some reading materials about linux. got GNOME up and running. played mp3's....nahirapan ako sa modem ko kasi nga winmodem yun pero tumakbo naman after couple of miss attempts.

Ang kailan lang to have a linux based machine is to educate oneself and find resources.