Linux Anybody?

Due to the BSA's future acts against cyber cafes use of pirated software, I would like to put a query here as to what Linux distro will be the most appropriate replacement for Windows in a cyber cafe environment. (Please don't state Windows application emulation problems and such. I'm just referring to the comfortability ratio that may be felt by an average person that will be using the terminals.) I'm thinking of replacing a cyber cafe near our house with Linux before it is raided and would like more input regarding the different distros and the ease of migration that each presents. (Besides, I already have both the latest versions of Cedega and Wine so games shouldn't present too big of a problem as of the moment...already tested some games and Cedega just amazes me... :P ) Thank you to those who respond in the future and your suggestions are appreciated... :headsetsmiley:

question lang for the ITs and engineers over here:

is there an existing company locally that runs linux?  specifically CALL CENTER companies.

we do. but we're not a call center. we have 2 boxes that hosts oracle (not clustered), a file server (with at least 200+ concurrent connections), 2 firewalls/vpn, 1 printer server with accounting (accounts in peso value ink usage as well), and http content filtering (squid+dansguardian)

our data centre is m$ dominated though.

in the lineage to Leviticus's question, here is my toss:

is there any ISO certified company or organization out there that runs on Linux?(workstation and server-wise?)

just an emancipation of my human curiosity.

thanks

I hear one of the biggest of them all, IBM has completely shifted over to Linux. I think you can't get much more ISO certified than that.

I'm using both CentOS and Ubuntu.. both are good.

apt-get is also available for CentOS. Yum is also very "apt-like"

However Ubuntu has a lot more packages available.

Ian Murdock (Debian Founder) is worried about forking in Ubuntu though. Although it is Debian based, the packages seem to be heading towards incompatibility with the stock Debian distro.

Guest Leviticus

To the people who replied to my question: Thanks so much!!! You have given me invaluable information with your answers. :cool:

Followup question lang: Is there a call center that uses Linux with regards to the computer units of the agents themselves?

:headsetsmiley:

:mtc:

uhmmm.. COME AGAIN? :goatee:  the cedega file I downloaded is a TAR FILE... how do I install it to Linux? :(  :(

if it ends with a .tar issue the following command:

tar -xvf cedegafilename.tar

this will extract the files inside the archive, perhaps a README or INSTALL files would be extracted as well for you to read, if none of it exists, look for some .sh or .bin files they could be the setup.exe we have in the win32 world.

in case you have a .tar.gz file, change the -xvf with a -xzvf

or if its .tar.bz2, the -xvf should be -xjvf

Guest Leviticus

I need help!!!

Can someone please give me instructions on installing Ubuntu?

kahit step by step lang. nahihirapan ako. everytime I do it it stops lagi, "cannot find file" raw.

or ang problem is with my installer?

which cd-r is the best for making this intstaller?

I need help!!!

Can someone please give me instructions on installing Ubuntu?

kahit step by step lang.  nahihirapan ako.  everytime I do it it stops lagi, "cannot find file" raw.

or ang problem is with my installer?

which cd-r is the best for making this intstaller?

haven't tried ubunto, but if your installer has been burned from iso files, chances are you made a bad installation media. try to burn it again on a decent cdr, i usually use branded ones though i can't say unbranded blanks are bad. you need to have a good combination of a CD drive+Reliable installation media.

on another note, hope this is not the case, at one point, mandrake has admitted flaws in mandrake installattion (version 9.x?) that causes problems when installing and would actually destroy some models of LG collins drives (experienced this personally)

Guest Leviticus

I have already made the darned intaller work.

ang mali ko talaga is with the installer itself.

the thing is.. I used the application from ubuntu and integrated that with the windows xp cd writer program. big mistake

better to use pa rin ang nero to write from iso

Guest Leviticus
if it ends with a .tar issue the following command:

tar -xvf cedegafilename.tar

this will extract the files inside the archive, perhaps a README or INSTALL files would be extracted as well for you to read, if none of it exists, look for some .sh or .bin files they could be the setup.exe we have in the win32 world.

in case you have a .tar.gz file, change the -xvf with a -xzvf

or if its .tar.bz2, the -xvf should be -xjvf

this is all in root/console window?

Help!!!

How do I access the root window?  specifically ubuntu... :(

look for the terminal icon in your X menu... should be under system tools, it may come in various names but it should carry the word "terminal"

this is all in root/console window?

opo

pwede mo ako pm if you have other concerns, if i'm available we could chat on ym para mabilis setup mo.

im from UP diliman.. and so far, almost ilang years narin ang UP sa LINUX REVOLUTION... though i really didt give time to learn linux.. but now, i think ill try..

sabi ng friend ko, ok daw ung ubuntu and mandriva for beginners, pro mas ok daw para sa kanya ung mandrake.

meron po ba kayo jan installer ng ubuntu? or san site ko cia pwde idownload? free naman cia kasi opensource? tama ba ako?

and if ever mangapa ako sa linux, pwde ba ako magtanong d2 for tech support?! hehehe.. :D

thanks..

nyak! silly me tlga.. i forgot to ask google about ubuntu before posting awhile ago.. hehe..

i went to ubuntulinux.com and found out that there are install cd's and live cd's..

ok ba gamitin ung live cd's? or mas ok parin iinstall nalng?

ill just be testing linux muna kaya mag double OS nalng ako.. i have 2 partitions sa hard drive ko, C and D.. kung mag double OS ako, sa D ko ba cia dapat iinstall ung ubuntu!?

thanks again... :D

im from UP diliman.. and so far, almost ilang years narin ang UP sa LINUX REVOLUTION... though i really didt give time to learn linux.. but now, i think ill try..

sabi ng friend ko, ok daw ung ubuntu and mandriva for beginners, pro mas ok daw para sa kanya ung mandrake.

meron po ba kayo jan installer ng ubuntu? or san site ko cia pwde idownload? free naman cia kasi opensource? tama ba ako?

and if ever mangapa ako sa linux, pwde ba ako magtanong d2 for tech support?! hehehe.. :D

thanks..

i know UP is one of the first school to go online, back when the only ISP we have in the country is ph.net, then a spin-off mozcom. employed din ako ng isang school na connected with ph.net circa '97/'98, wala pang cdwriters nun, then ang linux (slackware) mga 5 diskettes lang, ala pa din yatang redhat.

anyways, check mo website ng ubonto, sabi nila they deliver it via mail. check mo din www.distrowatch.com .

post ka lang ng questions, dami namang sumasagot :cool:

Edited by cruesome
nyak! silly me tlga.. i forgot to ask google about ubuntu before posting awhile ago.. hehe..

i went to ubuntulinux.com and found out that there are install cd's and live cd's..

ok ba gamitin ung live cd's? or mas ok parin iinstall nalng?

ill just be testing linux muna kaya mag double OS nalng ako.. i have 2 partitions sa hard drive ko, C and D.. kung mag double OS ako, sa D ko ba cia dapat iinstall ung ubuntu!?

thanks again... :D

i did a dual boot pero matagal na, you need to have an emptry partition for linux, although may distribution yata that could run linux out of a fat partition.

live cd pang testing lang, usually limited ang features. check mo din http://slax.linux-live.org/

i know UP is one of the first school to go online, back when the only ISP we have in the country is ph.net, then a spin-off mozcom. employed din ako ng isang school na connected with ph.net circa '97/'98, wala pang cdwriters nun, then ang linux (slackware) mga 5 diskettes lang, ala pa din yatang redhat.

anyways, check mo website ng ubonto, sabi nila they deliver it via mail. check mo din www.distrowatch.com .

post ka lang ng questions, dami namang sumasagot  :cool:

wow! linux on diskettes!? ganun ba tlga dati? hehehe.. parang ang hirap isipin nun ah.. thank goodness nasa computer age na tayo ngaun at naimbento na ang cd writers.. hehehe..

i did a dual boot pero matagal na, you need to have an emptry partition for linux, although may distribution yata that could run linux out of a fat partition.

live cd pang testing lang, usually limited ang features. check mo din http://slax.linux-live.org/

awwww.. empty partition? i think i could not format my pc for this reason.. masyadong hassle sa side ko... sana lang mahanap ko ung distribution that could run thru a fat partition.. kung hindi, i think ill play with the live cd nlng muna.. :D

thanks alot cruesome! :D

wow! linux on diskettes!? ganun ba tlga dati? hehehe.. parang ang hirap isipin nun ah.. thank goodness nasa computer age na tayo ngaun at naimbento na ang cd writers.. hehehe..

awwww.. empty partition? i think i could not format my pc for this reason.. masyadong hassle sa side ko... sana lang mahanap ko ung distribution that could run thru a fat partition.. kung hindi, i think ill play with the live cd nlng muna.. :D

thanks alot cruesome! :D

yap on diskettes. you could toy around with partition magic to resize an existing partition and create a free one for linux. may low level na tool on linux but i won't suggest it for newbies. good luck sa linux adventure mo :)