Linux Anybody?

ok pala ang slax... ive read some of the testimonials sa site.. and ok daw ang slax pagdating sa live cd... :D

im downloading it now..

tanong lang, sa mga live cds ba, andun na ung mga softwares na kelangan mo? pano kung wala, u need to install? madedect ba kagad ng live cd ung mga nainstall mong softwares?

lahat ba ng linux programs and softwares compatible sa lahat ng linux distributions? saan ako makakahanap ng linux softwares? ung mga needed softwares..

thanks again.. :D

Guest Leviticus

hello to the linux community

im learning to use fedora now... tama na muna ang ubuntu. trying to learn the basics through fedora/redhat distro.

tanong lang...

im trying to install wine

how do I do it?

.rmp ang extension ng downloaded file...

thanks all!!!

ok pala ang slax... ive read some of the testimonials sa site.. and ok daw ang slax pagdating sa live cd... :D

im downloading it now..

tanong lang, sa mga live cds ba, andun na ung mga softwares na kelangan mo? pano kung wala, u need to install? madedect ba kagad ng live cd ung mga nainstall mong softwares?

lahat ba ng linux programs and softwares compatible sa lahat ng linux distributions? saan ako makakahanap ng linux softwares? ung mga needed softwares..

well, as to live cd's they are canned version, meaning yung apps na iinstall mo after you boot would eventrually be erased the moment you shutdown, unless you'll install it on a harddisk partition. slax has a set of scripts so you can make you're own live cds with all the apps that you would require.

as to the compatibility, there is this thing called dependencies, first, the glibc versions and architecture should be the same, then yung mga pre-requisite apps and libraries should be present. kaya may separate rpm distributions per distro/versions. what i normally do is to install applications from source, so i have a binary compiled to fit my system. on another note, i am more comfortable using the apps i compile myself para included lahat ng features i need and discarding those i don't.

start by reading some how-to's from http://www.tldp.org

more application info from soureforge.net and of course www.linux.org

hello to the linux community

im learning to use fedora now... tama na muna ang ubuntu.  trying to learn the basics through fedora/redhat distro.

tanong lang...

im trying to install wine

how do I do it?

.rmp ang extension ng downloaded file...

thanks all!!!

bro, baka .rpm not .rmp

in a pinch you could install it using the command rpm -ivh rpmfilename.rpm

Edited by cruesome

im downloading it now..

The softwares installed on the Live CD depends on the maker of the said CD. RTFM so to speak...also, softwares for your Live CD can either be found on-site or compiled from source (again depending on your distro or CD... :) ). Good luck on Linux!!!

Now I have a question regarding Linux or rather ALSA in Linux...I downloaded the latest kernel source 2.6.13.2 and have already compiled and recompiled it a few times...about 8 times in the past 2 days I believe (for a Linux newbie such as myself, that's quite a nice number... :cool: )...now my question is, HOW DO I GET ALSA SUPPORT ON THIS THING?!?!?! I have already enabled the ALSA support as module, and again as built-into the kernel and have enabled and disabled this and that but all I get when I run the test application of Point2Play is that ALSA is either not supported or not configured properly on my BIOS!!! I already compiled version 2.6.12.2 earlier and I remember that I was successful in enabling ALSA support (or at least get it recognized by the P2P app...) but now the solution avoids me...can anyone help? :huh:

Guest Leviticus

This is a shout out.

I have been downloading distros the whole week and ang gusto ko install is Fedora Core 4. Problem is every time I burn an ISO panay bad disc pagdating sa test. I have fedora core 1 already but there are some applications (raw) that requires fedora 3 or higher.

anyone out there who has a working DVD installer of Fedora core 4?

wala ako DVD burner kasi kaya request/buy ako ng copy if anyone has one.

thanks...

The softwares installed on the Live CD depends on the maker of the said CD. RTFM so to speak...also, softwares for your Live CD can either be found on-site or compiled from source (again depending on your distro or CD... :) ). Good luck on Linux!!!

Now I have a question regarding Linux or rather ALSA in Linux...I downloaded the latest kernel source 2.6.13.2 and have already compiled and recompiled it a few times...about 8 times in the past 2 days I believe (for a Linux newbie such as myself, that's quite a nice number... :cool: )...now my question is, HOW DO I GET ALSA SUPPORT ON THIS THING?!?!?! I have already enabled the ALSA support as module, and again as built-into the kernel and have enabled and disabled this and that but all I get when I run the test application of Point2Play is that ALSA is either not supported or not configured properly on my BIOS!!! I already compiled version 2.6.12.2 earlier and I remember that I was successful in enabling ALSA support (or at least get it recognized by the P2P app...) but now the solution avoids me...can anyone help?  :huh:

so far wala ako prob with alsa, my 24/7 linux box at home also serves as my jukebox. you must have forgotten to compile a driver for your sound card. not really sure if this is required, it's just what i normally do -- compile the driver available for every hardware i have.

:P  :boo:  just shows how much of a newbie I am.

Thanks for the info!!!

hope you won't get tired answering questions

"Put the fun back into computing" distrowatch says. i'll answer every question i can, but don't take my word for it, i'm far from perfect :D

This is a shout out.

I have been downloading distros the whole week and ang gusto ko install is Fedora Core 4.  Problem is every time I burn an ISO panay bad disc pagdating sa test.  I have fedora core 1 already but there are some applications (raw) that requires fedora 3 or higher.

thanks...

i usually skip the tests, see if you can install them. i'll be willing to give you a burnt DVD if you can drop by the libis area, pwede din siguro sa parañaque (dun ako nakatira e). i'll be downloading the iso just in case. i don't personally use redhat anymore :P

Edited by cruesome
This is a shout out.

I have been downloading distros the whole week and ang gusto ko install is Fedora Core 4.  Problem is every time I burn an ISO panay bad disc pagdating sa test.  I have fedora core 1 already but there are some applications (raw) that requires fedora 3 or higher.

thanks...

Try nero. I was able to burn my FreeBSD, RedHat 9, and Solaris for x86 without any hassle.

re: Dual-boot

my P4 2.4's dual-booting to XP and CentOS4..

I installed CentOS first before XP...

this is my secondary dev environment...

also CentOS4 with apt-get is sweet.. hehehe.. im not missing my ubuntu

anymore! :D

my primary dev box is an unadulterated XP ..hehehe.

(sybase-PB kasi dev ko ngayon ehh)

BTW my web-server/dbserver/testbed is Mandrake 10 enterprise behind ipcop..havent updated it since last year..but still okey pa,gumagana naman and no hang-ups..pinapatay lang if brown-out .. :D

My Linux install on my second computer is a SLAX HD Real Install (that means the uncompressed SlackWare Linux variant...) with a few things added or rather updated by myself. (I just love compiling new programs...the lines are more entertaining to watch than the standard Windows installation progress bar...) Anyway, everythings running quite nicely now as I've installed both Wine and Cedega for my Windows apps to work. Never experienced a problem (yet...) although KDE seems to go on a crash with a signal 11 or something everytime I log-off...not that it's a problem since it continues to shut down KDE Desktop after a few moments... :headsetsmiley:

Guest Leviticus

*Sigh*

Entering my third week in learning and reading about Linux.

grabe... why in the world kasi that instructions always center around the terminal console eh meron namang GUI?!?

hirap tuloy!

Guest Leviticus

Help with regards to Apache web server

1. Ive got the web surver running in my linux box already (Apache2; ubuntu). I can access the index.html if I type the aliases or the loopback ip in MY browser.

my problem is that I can't access the index.html file in the other computers on my local network.

I have looked in the config files already but to no avail. maybe Im missing something?

do I need to have SAMBA?

2. my internet/network settings were created by automatic DHCP. If I try to do a static IP protocol (where I type in 192.168.0.1 in the field for IP) and the gateway address is typed, why do I loose my internet access?

help please :cry:

1.  Ive got the web surver running in my linux box already (Apache2; ubuntu).  I can access the index.html if I type the aliases or the loopback ip in MY browser.

my problem is that I can't access the index.html file in the other computers on my local network.

I have looked in the config files already but to no avail.  maybe Im missing something?

do I need to have SAMBA?

2.  my internet/network settings were created by automatic DHCP.  If I try to do a static IP protocol (where I type in 192.168.0.1 in the field for IP) and the gateway address is typed, why do I loose my internet access?

help please  :cry:

Hi,

For Item 1: You may need to configure a DNS server for your network to properly broadcast the IP adrress-to-machine name mapping of your new apache web server. Another solution would be to edit the /etc/hosts file of your web server and enter the ip-to-machine name of your new web server, but be sure to also update the hosts files of your user PCs.

For Item 2: Check the configuration file of your DHCP server, maybe the 192.168.0.1 is allocated for a specific machine bound by its MAC address. You may need to assign a different address if this is the case.

HTH :headsetsmiley:

1.  Ive got the web surver running in my linux box already (Apache2; ubuntu).  I can access the index.html if I type the aliases or the loopback ip in MY browser.

I have looked in the config files already but to no avail.  maybe Im missing something?

do I need to have SAMBA?

2.  my internet/network settings were created by automatic DHCP.  If I try to do a static IP protocol (where I type in 192.168.0.1 in the field for IP) and the gateway address is typed, why do I loose my internet access?

help please  :cry:

item 1 was well answered by dauphin24

additional hint for item #2: have you checked your routing table after you change your ip address? along with the dhcp address you get from dhcpd, you also get the default route (or gateway).

type in "ip route" when using dhcp and take note of the results, then do that again after you assign static add.

• 3 months later...

hi linux experts! question po, can linux run the MS office package? if yes, how? i'd like to ditch that too (the MS office) but i have to work with other people so i'm stuck.

how i've wanted to escape mr. gates' greedy hands but everywhere i turn he's there, mocking me hehe :D :mtc:

oh, and has anyone heard of the ubuntu OS? its linux based. i have a cd of that but i'm afraid to run it. is it any good?

Guest Leviticus
hi linux experts! question po, can linux run the MS office package? if yes, how? i'd like to ditch that too (the MS office) but i have to work with other people so i'm stuck.

how i've wanted to escape mr. gates' greedy hands but everywhere i turn he's there, mocking me hehe :D  :mtc:

oh, and has anyone heard of the ubuntu OS? its linux based. i have a cd of that but i'm afraid to run it. is it any good?

hehe... same problems I had a few months back.

yes there is an alternative to the whole MS OFFICE die BIll Gates dilemma. you can use openoffice software (visit www.openoffice.org for further specs and info). or you can use emulators to run the MS office program in a linux environment.

good news about using openoffice is that it is COMPATIBLE with MS OFFICE; just remember to always set the file format to .doc

ubuntu OS? it is way better than some linux distros because it offers an easy transition from using Windows.

hope these helped