Linux Anybody?

Internet. Period.

The ones for sale in shops are mostly pirated versions. I've seen legal copies of Mandrake (boxed) in Datablitz.

there's no such thing as a pirated version of linux. unless, that type of distro is really for sale or not under GPL/GNU.

like mandrake and red hat enterprise, they are now not offered as a free distro but still under GPL/GNU.

but distros like fedora core, debian, red hat 9, etc. are good to get in internet or small shops/tiangge.

coz most of the linux distro u see in small shops/tiangge are downloaded then burned into a cd.

if u r a newbie, try fedora. good fro desktop or laptop. :cool:

*howlers

Guest k....

I really just need assistance Ü

So I finally decided to reinstall FC4 test 3 (not my first time; i've done RH7, 9, FC 1, 2 before with no issues), going with the defaults; everything finished:

[1] On previous releases, I would edit /etc/X11/XF86Config to specify my monitor's exact horizontal/vertical refresh rate constraints. This file does not seem to exist in FC4 (or probably FC3 as well, but I've never gotten my hands on it). I am now left with a measly 800/600 resolution, which is not very nice on a 17-inch screen

[2] I made sure i installed the boot loader in the 1st sector of the boot partition, but still i get this 3-sec. pre-boot loader screen before the GRUB/MSFT boot loader comes up. i'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug.

Test bed machine: 1.6 GHz P4 n.wood, 256MB-DDR, Radeon 7000, multi-boot with 2000/XP MCE

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and regards all.

guys, info naman about bunzip2? kasi im trying to bunzip yung na-download ko then yung ending niya is .tar.bz2.tar, if im using bunzip2 filename.tar.bz2 is cannot open daw yung file or directory is empty. same as if i use bunzip2 filaname.tar.bz2.tar, ganun din. im using rh9, hindi kasi ako maka-connect sa internet and im using lucent 20A usb modem.

guys, info naman about bunzip2? kasi im trying to bunzip yung na-download ko then yung ending niya is .tar.bz2.tar, if im using bunzip2 filename.tar.bz2 is cannot open daw yung file or directory is empty. same as if i use bunzip2 filaname.tar.bz2.tar, ganun din. im using rh9, hindi kasi ako maka-connect sa internet and im using lucent 20A usb modem.

Try to check the real file type first. Run "file filaname.tar.bz2.tar"

If tar then try muna "tar -xvf filaname.tar.bz2.tar"

if bzip2 file then rename it to "filaname.tar.bz2" then run "bunzip2 filaname.tar.bz2"

So I finally decided to reinstall FC4 test 3 (not my first time; i've done RH7, 9, FC 1, 2 before with no issues), going with the defaults; everything finished:

[1] On previous releases, I would edit /etc/X11/XF86Config to specify my monitor's exact horizontal/vertical refresh rate constraints. This file does not seem to exist in FC4 (or probably FC3 as well, but I've never gotten my hands on it). I am now left with a measly 800/600 resolution, which is not very nice on a 17-inch screen

[2] I made sure i installed the boot loader in the 1st sector of the boot partition, but still i get this 3-sec. pre-boot loader screen before the GRUB/MSFT boot loader comes up. i'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug.

Test bed machine: 1.6 GHz P4 n.wood, 256MB-DDR, Radeon 7000, multi-boot with 2000/XP MCE

1. You might be using xorg instead XFree86.. look for /etc/X11/xorg.conf... it uses the same syntax as XF86Config

2. Some newer BIOSes have a delay before booting hard disks or cdroms

Good luck with Linux

[1] I have no idea... just replying to number [2]...

[2] Maybe the loader screen was installed on the Master Boot Record while the GRUB/MSFT loader is in the active partition's boot record. If so, you'll need to overwrite the MBR with something depending on your needs. You could use the fdisk/mbr option if you have a bootable diskette or try the recovery console of Windows XP CDROM to replace the MBR. That should clear up the pre-loader screen and go straight to the loader you installed on the active partition. *

* This happened to me while I was attempting my first install of Linux... :thumbsupsmiley:

Guest k....
pahabol na questions..

naka dual boot ba yun box mo? and...

what does the pre boot loader screen look like?

baka kasi new feature lang pala ng grub yun.

@ken_2_10_nah,R@v3n,roninblade

thanks! <code>/etc/X11/xorg.conf</code> nga heheh got it to 1024x768 now

So there's the BIOS, tapos "Starting GRUB2", then a screen would say something like "Starting Other in 3 secs, press any key to show the menu" (I made 'Other' as opposed to 'Fedora Core' the default boot option during the install process) I'm more than certain I chose not to install GRUB on the MBR, but it still insists on doing so. Haay. Looks like the only way out here is fixmbr, but that would screw up GRUB. AMAP I stick with the Microsoft boot loader as I do a lot of Windows tweaking/repairs. This new GRUB was not a problem with olsdwer versions of FC though. Oh well.

BTW, it's official that Macs will be running on Intel starting mid-2006! 'Nother reason to start saving up for that Mac mini heheh

• 1 month later...

:rolleyes:

I do have one installed in me another pc. it works fine. For those who are somehow green about it, it just needs a bit of navigation.

And for my other pc, i have windows multiple boots. No problems also maybe a few but fixable...

Microsoft A+ Certified

Dell A+ Certifed

so i think no probs for me...

:cool:

:rolleyes:

I do have one installed in me another pc. it works fine. For those who are somehow green about it, it just needs a bit of navigation.

And for my other pc, i have windows multiple boots. No problems also maybe a few but fixable...

Microsoft A+ Certified

Dell A+ Certifed

so i think no probs for me...

:cool:

No offense just want to clarify "Microsoft A+ Certified" Is there a such cerification in Microsoft? Maybe you're pertaining to MCP Microsoft Certified Professional OR CompTIA A+ Certification. B)

Hello geeks! Need your help. Anyone here knows hardware overlay for ATI video cards? Just starting out tinkering with direct access to video card memory for faster graphics rendering in linux. HALP!

i also use an ati video card. i compiled into the kernel ati radeon display support and used the driver as detected by x. can't really tell if i'm pulling maximum performance out of my video card, not a gamer.

Hello geeks! Need your help. Anyone here knows hardware overlay for ATI video cards? Just starting out tinkering with direct access to video card memory for faster graphics rendering in linux. HALP!

dont know if this helps.. but ATI does not release source drivers for linux so

its hard to compile it with the kernel, but for decent graphics just use the

default as detected by (*insert favorite HW checker*) as for me, it doesn't

matter I use linux for my servers and development platform.. so no biggie..

but I've read somewhere that NVidia drivers on linux are far better than

ATI ones so I went with NVidia hardware.. :)

i also use an ati video card. i compiled into the kernel ati radeon display support and used the driver as detected by x. can't really tell if i'm pulling maximum performance out of my video card, not a gamer.

sometimes thats the problem with linux, we have no idea if we were able to maximize the hardware. i use nvidia video card on my linux box so far wala pa namang problema. But im sure im not making the most of my card i terms of graphics. buti na lang CLI guy ako. he he he.

mga bro, does anyone here has played around with infra red on linux? kasi matagal ko na binubusisi yung mp3 jukebox howto, tpos yung mga homebrew na infra red howto's, kaso yung mg available na infra red ports locally for the pc were all usb.

24/7 kasi itong linux box ko sa bahay, mahilig naman ako sa music and tamvak ang mp3s ko.

lam niyo na, linux for fun :)

I'm planning to get a Linux OS for my PC one of these days. I was wondering kung ok ba ung Bayanihan Linux for a distro or would you recommend going to another distro like Ubuntu perhaps?

i guess the choice would be yours, try to install a distro you are already acquainted to. but then most people here would recommend other major distros, FC or Mandrake or Debian.

i started at slackware back when it was only a 5 diskette distro and kernel was 1.x, tried redhat, hated (but not too much) fedora, used mandrake when i required gui for other peeps, and i'm back at slackware+dropline gnome.

o, you also have to choose x window manager, gnome or kde :)