Linux Anybody?

Maybe im just stupid or too busy to learn it. But I installed Linux before but couldn't understand it.

So i just removed it and went back to windows.

Read materials and resources about linux. It's a great and secure Operating System once you learn how to harness its capabilities Ako I'm not an expert in linux, newbie din ako pero just like any new other stuff that we handle ang kailangan nito is to study, study study!! :)

If you guys want to use linux without jeopardizing your windows system... why not use VMWare?  One more thing... no need to enroll in schools like Informatics (no offense)  just to learn Linux... there are a lot of ebooks that most of these schools use as a resource material... just search for them :hypocritesmiley:

I totally agree. If you still need to go to school just to learn Linux, you're wasting your money on something which can be learned for free and quite easily. More so if you're familiar with the command line on Windows or DOS. It's just a matter of some command, syntax, GUI options etc., etc. :headsetsmiley:

I totally agree. If you still need to go to school just to learn Linux, you're wasting your money on something which can be learned for free and quite easily. More so if you're familiar with the command line on Windows or DOS. It's just a matter of some command, syntax, GUI options etc., etc.  :headsetsmiley:

Hi Everyone,

For those interested to know more about Linux, you may visit this site:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

From here, you may download html/pdf versions of manuals on how to install RedHat Linux and also steps on how to install and configure other network services. Knowledge gained here can easily be used on other Linux distributions with perhaps minor adjustments.

Good luck!

:headsetsmiley:

Guest Leviticus

question sa mga nagtry na ng linux...

para guide na rin sa akin and shortcut.

is there a way na paganahin ang yahoo messenger webcam on linux?

last I browsed ayaw eh :cry:

question sa mga nagtry na ng linux...

para guide na rin sa akin and shortcut.

is there a way na paganahin ang yahoo messenger webcam on linux?

last I browsed ayaw eh  :cry:

paganahin nyo po muna yung webcam nyo....

try it on some open-source IM clients like gaim or

ekiga..if gumana na..then you can yahoo away...

• 1 month later...

Linux Security is all really a state of mind. Back then, there werent a lot of security issues with it because not a lot of people have really been using it. A lot have been using it for Servers, but not for Desktops. But now that there are... the hackers have more reasons to write intrusive programs so we see these starting to come out of the woodworks.

If you really think about it, Linux would be the most vulnerable to attacks since the source code of the kernel is available to anyone and there's no need to reverse engineer any of the OS modules to figure out how it works.. except of course for the commercial releases like RedHat, etc. So I guess it really boils down to the fact that we know that at least for the most of these technical hackers, we know that they are obviously more sympathetic to the open source movement, than they are to the Evil Empire.

As far as market share is concerned, Linux still remains to occupy the server niche more than the desktop users and I don't really see it tipping to the other end in the near future.

Linux Security is all really a state of mind. Back then, there werent a lot of security issues with it because not a lot of people have really been using it. A lot have been using it for Servers, but not for Desktops. But now that there are... the hackers have more reasons to write intrusive programs so we see these starting to come out of the woodworks.

If you really think about it, Linux would be the most vulnerable to attacks since the source code of the kernel is available to anyone and there's no need to reverse engineer any of the OS modules to figure out how it works.. except of course for the commercial releases like RedHat, etc. So I guess it really boils down to the fact that we know that at least for the most of these technical hackers, we know that they are obviously more sympathetic to the open source movement, than they are to the Evil Empire.

As far as market share is concerned, Linux still remains to occupy the server niche more than the desktop users and I don't really see it tipping to the other end in the near future.

Just because the source code is freely viewable by everyone doesn't mean that it is less secure. It can also mean that there are also more people able to audit the code thereby leading to a reduction in overall vulnerability. Also, because there are more people willing to volunteer their time to maintain the code, even vulnerabilities that are discovered can be patched a lot quicker than closed source solutions. :headsetsmiley:

Guest Leviticus
fedora is a commercial release right? where didja buy it and for how much? i hear its more user friendly than other linux releases.

fedora is the beta for red hat (if you look it up, fedora is a kind of hat too :D ). It can be downloaded from the internet. the latest release (core 5) is more user-friendly than its predecesors; including RHE 4

Just because the source code is freely viewable by everyone doesn't mean that it is less secure. It can also mean that there are also more people able to audit the code thereby leading to a reduction in overall vulnerability. Also, because there are more people willing to volunteer their time to maintain the code, even vulnerabilities that are discovered can be patched a lot quicker than closed source solutions.  :headsetsmiley:

Of course... this has always been the core tenet of the GNU GPL. I would've expected some counter ramblings about real architecture issues....

My first point is still... you cannot deny that Windows will always remain to be the biggest target of malicious code simply because of the larger user base. And because of that, there is simply more to gain from attacking it rather than something that is is used by a niche market.

Second, and I offer a slightly different point here... Is that security in LINUX or UNIX-based systems and Windows are essentially different. The main difference is really because Widnows architecture was geared towards makig things easier for the user, while LINUX/UNIX is geared towards server use... regardless of giving the users (which would be the admins) extra steps to follow in order to effect the act.

Let's try to articulate all of these rather than simply give a sweeping statement that LINUX or UNIX-based systems are more "secure" which everybody seems to drop as an easy line. Windows for example makes it easier for a user to execute programs and run protocols wihtout the user knowing fully well what is happening or what is necessary to happen underneath. For example when you open an email attachment, all you have to do is click and the app launches. In fact, it was even allowed to execute the app from the preview pane. In Linux, everything would have to be explicit like saving the attachment and giving the attachment execution rights. Even if the malicious code ran, it would only have the potential to damage those that are within that user's /home directory. Meaning the system files will always be secure. The only way it could really cause serious system havoc is if it was ran from the root account. Which is why I also recommended never to use root for "daily" tasks in another thread.

This is where I would like to offer a different perspective since I beleive the focus is on home users switching to LINUX because of it's "security". If a Linux virus wrecked havoc in your /home directory, your personal files are the number 1 target. Other users arent affected, and the system sure as hell won't be affected. No crash. No system failure. No corrupted system file. System is secure so to speak.... unless you are stupid enough to run it using root of course. But are the system files really more important than your personal files? That my friends, is a question that can be answered by every average Joe user. So in the end, potential devastation that malicious code can bring to LINUX is the same for Windows, at least for the kind of data that really matters to the home user.

Now, if we were talking about servers, then that's a different story.