Linux Anybody?

Hi,

You may try the following services for file sharing:

a) NFS: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R...ide/ch-nfs.html

B) Samba: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R...e/ch-samba.html

HTH,

Dauphin74

Thanks pala sa samba input mo. Gave me ang insight on linux networking. Madugo talaga as compared to windows networking. Hehe. This time around I'm undergoing self-study on how to connect a client linux desktop to a server box so that the user's profiles/files can be access whichever computer a user would log in. Malabo ba? Hehe... need advice if tama ang direction ng study ko: correct ba that I'm reading on NIS?
Guest Leviticus

Hi linux guys.

need help on configuring 2 NIC cards (again). How do I enable internet connection from a an internet-enabled network at the same time connecting a noninternet-enabled network? sort of a network bridge ba. and at the same time how do I make the users of the network access the linux box? thanks in advance...

Hi linux guys.

need help on configuring 2 NIC cards (again). How do I enable internet connection from a an internet-enabled network at the same time connecting a noninternet-enabled network? sort of a network bridge ba. and at the same time how do I make the users of the network access the linux box? thanks in advance...

assumption: iptables and iproute2 installed and interfaces are up with proper ip assignment, and you have the following given

INTERNET:

interface: eth0

ip add: 20x.xxx.xxx.xxx/29 (aka 255.255.255.254)

gateway: 20x.xxx.xxx.xxy

LAN:

interface: eth1

ip add: 192.168.0.1/24 (aka 255.255.255.0)

lets play quickie!

#!/bin/sh
# - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
# levi masq script
# july 19, 2006
# cruesome ;-)
# ISP variables here
#
 WIF = "eth0"
 WIP = "20x.xxx.xxx.xxx"
 WIG = "20x.xxx.xxx.xxy"

# let's make sure we are route thru the right gateway (ISP) 
ip route delete default
ip route add default via ${WIG} dev ${WIF} src ${WIP}

# iptables rules/firewall, choose only 1 option

# MASQ OPTION 1:
# in caseyou wanted everyone to go out of the internet
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ${WIF} -j MASQUERADE

# MASQ OPTION 2: only specific ip will go out of the internet (ie, YOURPC, PROXYSERVERS, etc)
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s <YOUR PC's IP ADD> -o ${WIF} -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s <YOUR PROXY's IP ADD> -o ${WIF} -j MASQUERADE

# let's keep your box safe
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -i ${WIF} -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i ${WIF} -j DROP

# now we can turn on routing
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

have that code on an .sh file and dont forget to chmod +x

hope that helps.

Thanks pala sa samba input mo. Gave me ang insight on linux networking. Madugo talaga as compared to windows networking. Hehe. This time around I'm undergoing self-study on how to connect a client linux desktop to a server box so that the user's profiles/files can be access whichever computer a user would log in. Malabo ba? Hehe... need advice if tama ang direction ng study ko: correct ba that I'm reading on NIS?

guess you wanted to have samba instead of windows server... google ka na lang for "samba pdc"

for administration samba console could come in handy

hi people!!

anyone familiar with the posgresql in linux?

we have a server kasi that runs on a linux platform..me database kasi dun na everyday e nag c-create sya ng mga tables lets just say for the data of a point of sale system.

is there other way na ma bawasan ang space nya para bang archiving..kasi im using pgdump and vacuum command on the console,

tnx..

hi people!!

we have a server kasi that runs on a linux platform..me database kasi dun na everyday e nag c-create sya ng mga tables lets just say for the data of a point of sale system.

is there other way na ma bawasan ang space nya para bang archiving..kasi im using pgdump and vacuum command on the console,

tnx..

What is wrong with pg_dump that you can't do what you are asking? Just want to understand the difficulty.

If you want to cleanup, you can execute SQL scripts after a backup.

To delete delete rows from a table, it is simply a SQL script in the form

DELETE FROM <TABLE NAME> WHERE <CONDITIONAL(S)>

To delete a table

DROP TABLE <TABLE NAME>

Edited by masterblaster
hi people!!

tnx..

i think after mo i-dump ang data.. tsaka ka mag-truncate ng tables..

para li-liit yung db mo..

I have in my control about 700 workstations, about 40 servers, alot of sites. I'm already planning to migrate most of my servers to Linux this year, and hopefully in 1-2 yrs all the desktops. M$ Windows is just too much expensive, specially the M$ Office, thats why we are using OpenOffice.

B)

I remember windows 2.0. Black and white only. Parang Apple Lisa..

Cha, we're like wine... we get better with age. hehehe :evil: :D

may windows na sa Dos nun.. yung dos shell.. tab tab ka lang kase wala pang mouse nun e..hehehe..

ano ba equivalent nung dos shell sa linux po?

sorry newbie at ignorant me sa linux..basic info lang about linux alam ko pero im very much interested with linux..

sang pirated cd shop ako makakabili ng ubuntu? hirap kase mag download mabagal internet ko..

may windows na sa Dos nun.. yung dos shell.. tab tab ka lang kase wala pang mouse nun e..hehehe..

sorry newbie at ignorant me sa linux..basic info lang about linux alam ko pero im very much interested with linux..

sang pirated cd shop ako makakabili ng ubuntu? hirap kase mag download mabagal internet ko..

The most common is the bash shell (for "Bourne again" shell). Other shells you can chouse are csh, ksh, ash, ad infinitum.

CLI yan bro..

re: Ubuntu.. its free.. they ship it free but you have to pay the taxes sa post office although before

nakatanggap ako ng free Ubuntu from them..baka kasi di napansin ng post-office yun.. heheehhhe..

...what I liked about Ubuntu was apt-get..but after I found out that CentOS has an apt-get and yum..

I have stuck with CentOS for a year now...you can install from dags repository thru apt-get and yum

for hard-to-find rpms/debs ... or if you are adventurous you could download the source and compile it

yourself.. :) , anyway.. this is what I'm running now:

- CentOS 4.3 x86_64

- CentOS 4.3 x86

both run sybase ASE 12.5 for linux,

I have also Mandrake 10 running in VMWare on a Win2k3 host (although for testing web-apps-LAMP)

the Win2K3 host runs also Sybase ASE 12.5 windows.

as for my development workstation.. currently on WinXP.. but seriously planning on migrating to

a CentOS based workstation (pag dumating na yung laptop ko..hehehhee) but as of now im still using M$

for my development platform.. ....ooopsss. sorry.. kung sa-an-sa-an me nakarating...hehehhee..petiks mode..

was looking for Ubuntu yesterday sa mga cd tiangge, what i found was Fedore core 3, 5 CD's, haven't bought it yet, since i was after ubuntu, wala ata sila, and i forgot the name ubuntu,

(sobrang hirap kase matandaan ng mga pangalan ng linux flavors e)

makes me wonder if only all the different linux engineer and developers merge into only 1 flavor to build a really complete OS which could match windows in terms of support, and user friendliness (tutorials, online help etc).. they will give Microsoft not only a run for their money, but a run for their lives..hehehe

was looking for Ubuntu yesterday sa mga cd tiangge, what i found was Fedore core 3, 5 CD's, haven't bought it yet, since i was after ubuntu, wala ata sila, and i forgot the name ubuntu,

makes me wonder if only all the different linux engineer and developers merge into only 1 flavor to build a really complete OS which could match windows in terms of support, and user friendliness (tutorials, online help etc).. they will give Microsoft not only a run for their money, but a run for their lives..hehehe

Business model for Open source is

Software is Free, Support is not...

Although you can google for some FAQ/How-To's

still its a very good Business Model (for the Knowledgable End-User)

Edited by l3v3l

sinabi mo pa, dapat nga isulong ng Philippine government yan para lahat ng tao magka legal na OS. yun kasing linux project ng DOST walang nakakaalam...

anyway, about getting ubuntu: punta ka sa site nila, ubuntu.org

puwede ka mag-order ng mga cd for free kung di ka makapag download :lol:

sinabi mo pa, dapat nga isulong ng Philippine government yan para lahat ng tao magka legal na OS. yun kasing linux project ng DOST walang nakakaalam...

or you can PM me, I just got tons of Ubuntu CDs delivered.. get 'em for free..

tried bayanihan distro last year. matabang :P Lorma Linux (the other pinoy flavor) tastes a little better :)

Anybody here using Linux? I've been using it for 5 years already, and since then I never felt the need to use a pirated windows installer on any of my computers yet. I was wondering though if there are any MTC peeps that use Linux on their computers as well (may it be servers, workstations, home computers, laptops, etc.).

For those clueless about Linux, it's a Free Operating System that runs on a myriad of platforms (computer architectures) ranging from the most common x86 computers (Personal Computers) to high-performance server architectures (SPARC, Alpha, G5, etc.). It's an alternative to the most common operating systems such as Windows, Mac, and Unix. There are a number of distributions free for download and use. No Strings Attached!

So if you haven't given it a try yet, let's discuss it sometime so that we can spread the spirit of Free and Open Source software, and live "guilt free" of pirated installations!

CHill...

Linux is great, never given me any problems!

aysus, asa ka pa sa gobyerno, nakupo!

meron nga ilalabas na 100 dollar laptop, will run linux daw, for kids in 3rd world country, alam ba nyo nya di kasali ang Pilipinas sa magkakaron nyan?

asa pa tayo..

syempre di papayag mga big business jan, harangin nila yan. they have a very very big influence on the government.

or you can PM me, I just got tons of Ubuntu CDs delivered.. get 'em for free..

ayaun pala e, mabuhay si tororista! :lol:

Anybody tried Knoppix? CD-based Linux OS.

i did, its great. kailangan nga lang dvd drive, hndi cd rom, sa dami ng applications na kasama

pero i still like it, anyone with a dvd drive should try it.