Linux Anybody?

• 2 weeks later...
Are there technical schools teaching linux in Manila?

Hi, I'm a newbie here, actually I've been a member for a while but haven't been an active one.

Not sure of any schools offering short courses on Linux. But if you meant colleges that teach Linux, Asia Pacific College (APC) in Makati does.

for educational instutions that offer linux training - try nyo bluepoint and topnetworx.

re: rhel4 - centos 4 would do just fine. it's rhel minus the trademarks and redhat artwork. otherwise it's the same s**t.

re: running a program sa background sa ssh - hint ko use the "screen" program then detach the screen session.

for educational instutions that offer linux training - try nyo bluepoint and topnetworx.

re: rhel4 - centos 4 would do just fine. it's rhel minus the trademarks and redhat artwork. otherwise it's the same s**t.

re: running a program sa background sa ssh - hint ko use the "screen" program then detach the screen session.

try also http://www.touchgroup.net/ ... i aggree, you can use CENTOS4, CentOS-4 is a freely distributable OS built from the source at:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/ent...n/os/i386/SRPMS

for linux courses....although quite expensive, and the schedule depends if 6 or more enroll, you can't go wrong with Bluepoint Institute.

http://www.bluepoint.com.ph

Total Linux course includes installation of OS, kernel compilation, configuration of Apache Web Server, Samba File Server...then the really important stuff like DNS servers, mail servers, and firewall.

For Red Hat or even Buhawi Linux , Engels is the man.

Did you know Bluepoint also offers PHP courses?

for PHP programming, Vips Malixi is the man.

The people at bluepoint are professionals and friendly too. They know their stuff.

for those who know how to install the RPM based distros like Red Hat or SuSE, and want to experiment, visit http://www.gentoo.org......download the ISO installer of Gentoo Linux

portage package manager, built purely on python and shell scripting, is super cool. just use the unique command 'emerge -p xorg-x11' for example.

I've tried this myself--used it at our office

Linux is a low cost tool. You can't open a lot of windows in linux. Just open about 8 windows and linux sometimes hang or shut down by itself.

Hi I just sort of solve this problem.

After opening firefox, I didn't use the first tab. Then I open new tabs & use the 2nd tabs onwards, but once in a while nagloloko pa rin, although it is not anymore that often.

How do i get hold of an UBUNTU CD- I really desperately need one!!! Could pay for the courier charges if ever--

Arne

have you tried the milllenium cafes in the malls?

got my cds from them about six months back

not free though, have to accumulate purchases from them (forgot how much)

:D

How do i get hold of an UBUNTU CD- I really desperately need one!!! Could pay for the courier charges if ever--

Arne

Go to https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ and register an account. You can get a maximum of 20 ubuntu cd's (a variety of ubuntu for MAC, PC and 64-bit). Make sure lang na tama ang mailing address mo at zip code. It costs me around P35 to pay for the shipping charge.

Arne

which ubuntu cd do u need? if ur around QC, i have an extra 5.10 (breezy), if not, i can burn u a copy (have 6.06 (Dapper) and 6.10 (Edgy) as well), just swap me blank cd/s. however, u have to come and meet me where i am, mahal ang gas eh.

Edited by namo_gago
  • 4 weeks later...

I personally have used a lot Linux distributions since early 2004. But so far the easiest to use for me is Ubuntu Linux. Although you need to do some tweaking after installation. But hey, you need to do that windows also. along the way, I was able to try Mandrake Linux (now mandriva), Vector Linux, Zenwalk Linux and Dreamlinux. Not that hard, but its really like you're re-learning some computer basics. Think of it when you first used a computer, Windows? DOS??

cheers! :cool: