Linux Anybody?

Guest Leviticus
Mga sir help naman sa mga command sa DOS Mode... sa Ubuntu linux....

nsa DOS mode palang po ako bali na install kuna yong Ubuntu..

nakakapag login na ko kasu hanggang don palang... step by step.. paunti unti.... pano gagawin..

thanks po mga sir...

DOS mode? are you planning on doing a DOS emulation to run on linux? or are you referring to the shell command prompt? Take note that there is a difference between shell command prompt and the X terminal window.

hehe.. this is basic windows vs linux dilemma. usually when you are in windows bihira mo na binubuksan ang DOS command prompt, unless of course you're a system administrator. in linux you will ALWAYS perform shell commands.

but in the case of UBUNTU.. i don't think you need to enter the terminal window. besides, they have nice GUI in their last distro release. also, better not attempt to do it because newbie ka pa lang; you might accidentally tweak something or worse, erase the whole drive.

In most cases, your laptop uses a WinModem. These types of modem require the use of Window's based device driver (which is not found in Linux) to work. There are many projects out there on how to get a winmodem working on a ubuntu based system. I suggest that you do a search in their support forums. And there is actually a pinoy based thread.

if you found nothing, try googling for it, I used to encounter the same problem before some hardware providers supply LInux drivers for their PCI modems while some don't, while there are also ones available for a fee. Back then I found a winmodem driver for an Conexant PCI modem, kaya lang free version unlimited use pero hanggang 14.4 kbps lang siya...

Been using Linux since the release or Redhat 6.0. Been using it mostly for server applications. It's indeed a good desktop replacement for Windows. Linux has come a long way. But still using Windows as my primary OS at home coz I'm not the only one using my PC. maybe if I buy a second PC and use it by myself I can use Linux as my desktop OS and totally ditch Windows.

I was able to ditch windows and boot my PC solely with Linux and my sisters were able to adapt on it, while my father has been able to play music in it and shut it down, and my sister's experience with using desktop Linux has even became a plus in her resume...

DOS mode? are you planning on doing a DOS emulation to run on linux? or are you referring to the shell command prompt? Take note that there is a difference between shell command prompt and the X terminal window.

hehe.. this is basic windows vs linux dilemma. usually when you are in windows bihira mo na binubuksan ang DOS command prompt, unless of course you're a system administrator. in linux you will ALWAYS perform shell commands.

but in the case of UBUNTU.. i don't think you need to enter the terminal window. besides, they have nice GUI in their last distro release. also, better not attempt to do it because newbie ka pa lang; you might accidentally tweak something or worse, erase the whole drive.

Thanks sir :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leviticus

Hey.. OpenSuse 10.2 is already out. Tried it here at the office. What can I say, it's an improvement from 10.1. However, some programs that ran in 10.1 doesn't run on 10.2 like nvu editor :( oh well, hintay na lang ako until nvu will release a new version. Until then, I'm back to good old 10.1.

oo nga pala, the graphics and GUI were awesome in 10.2 :cool: some reviews mentioned that it is comparable to vista (I wouldn't know cause never pa ako nakakita ng vista; although I heard that vista is buggy?)

good platform to start ang Suse and Ubuntu. Both have good sides and bad sides.

that's the beauty of linux. you can install as much linux as you want until you find the distro that is for you :P unlike sa windoze :thumbsdownsmiley:

dumating na yung inorder ko sa ship it

5 discs of ubuntu

5 discs of kubuntu

ano naman gagawin ko sa mga to

hehehehehehehe!!!!

ano version?
that's probably version 6.06

yup 6.06

ina ayos ko desktop PC ko ngayon

para ma install ko

paano ba mag dual boot kung dalawa ang physical HD?

Guest Leviticus
i'm testing opensuse10.2 din now sa isang box. i really like suse's yast tool.

i'm planning on using this for my primary work box, palitan ko na yung ubuntu.

there's something that feels really wrong when i'm using ubuntu, i just can't put my hands on what it is. kung di ko na-test 'tong opensuse10.2 i would've gone back to centos or slackware.

ahehe.. meron pala ako kaparehas. Before I tried out may distros: redhat, fedora, bayanihan, CentOS, Gentoo, Mandriva/Mandrake, and ubuntu.

Yup, there was something I can't put my finger on ubuntu. When I tried it, it was too easy and "user-friendly" for me to the point that I was lookiing for a catch somewhere. Hindi lang ako nasiyahan that much with ubuntu, until i tried Suse.

Now Suse ang gamit ko para sa work :thumbsupsmiley:

Nasubukan ko na din yang Linux. Nababagot ako sa Windows noon kaya tinry ko. Caldera OpenLinux ang una kong sinubukan. Tapos Slackware, then Red Hat. Sinubukan ko din yung Fedora Project, pati Mandrake, pati Lycoris.. ang last na tinry ko eh yung Gentoo..

Oks naman gamitin ang linux eh, nung mga time lang na sinubukan ko, hindi pa masyado oks ang WINE. Kaya balik Windows ako.

Guest Leviticus
bumalik ulit ako sa ubuntu. decided to give it one last chance.

balik ka na ng suse 10.2, RAID is very interesting! imagine, two physical HDD running in sync with each other or one HDD mirroring the other (something like a backup system but is primarily not). It depends on the RAID level.

One thing that got me interested is the RAID zero (0) level. medyo mahirap ma-gets ang description but eventually I think I got the gist of it. Imagine two hard disks running in sync to create one (1) virtual drive.

the best to my understanding; in windows when you have two hard disks, when the primary hard disk only has little disk space, let's say about 5 Mb remaining and then you have a 10 Mb file, you can't cut the 10 Mb file to fit the remaining disk space in the primary disk while the remaining 5 Mb of the file will be stored in the secondary HDD.

with RAID 0 you can do that

fascinating isn't it? :rolleyes:

can i start off with a pentium 3 laptop for my linux adventure?

i will refortmat and start it clean. then what's next? where can i find a step by step 'how to' to kick off my linux adventure. which flavor is best for a fortysomething linux adventurer?

whew that is scary! that means i got to have the right stuff and install them and then learn quick to get back to MTC.

yaiks! that's how it is going to be! new year means new beginning and new adventure.

this newbie bows to all the gurus in this thread!

i backread several pages and i found very very good stuff! my hats off to all of you guys keep it coming!

Im actually using a P3 system. And ubuntu edgy eft simply flies on the system. after a few modificatoins of course.

:mtc:

Guest Leviticus
dude, raid is not enough incentive, matagal ko na ginagawa yan sa servers. ;)

bow ako sa iyo :boo: I implemented it yesterday and worked out fine (after a few hours of reading and research :wacko: ) I guess layman users won't appreciate these little things and the effort we put in learning about linux.

balik ka na ng suse 10.2, RAID is very interesting! imagine, two physical HDD running in sync with each other or one HDD mirroring the other (something like a backup system but is primarily not). It depends on the RAID level.

One thing that got me interested is the RAID zero (0) level. medyo mahirap ma-gets ang description but eventually I think I got the gist of it. Imagine two hard disks running in sync to create one (1) virtual drive.

the best to my understanding; in windows when you have two hard disks, when the primary hard disk only has little disk space, let's say about 5 Mb remaining and then you have a 10 Mb file, you can't cut the 10 Mb file to fit the remaining disk space in the primary disk while the remaining 5 Mb of the file will be stored in the secondary HDD.

with RAID 0 you can do that

fascinating isn't it? :rolleyes:

dude, raid is not enough incentive, matagal ko na ginagawa yan sa servers. ;)

LVM has been around for quite sometimes, but then i never really trusted it :P

i'd still go for hardware RAID -_-

Edited by cruesome
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm running on an AMD Sempron 2400+, medyo pa low-end na rin siya. But I still can use Beryl, hehehe! Aleew! :D

beryl rules!

look at how small its footprint on a system...

but try this, run the water plugin or the snow plugin while minimizing a window using the burn effect

even my p4 3ghz with fx5500 slows down lol :evil:

I was able to ditch windows and boot my PC solely with Linux and my sisters were able to adapt on it, while my father has been able to play music in it and shut it down, and my sister's experience with using desktop Linux has even became a plus in her resume...

very nice... :thumbsupsmiley:

i did the same thing, ditched windows years ago. kapilitan everybody uses linux dahil walang dual-dual boot! haha!

i always emphasize when i do linux seminars, to fully appreciate and learn linux, "ditch windows - no dual-boots"