Linux Anybody?

well, it really defends,, kung ang sinasabi mong network games ay counter strike or so, I advice you to use MS windows! may pirated naman pre e. Di pa kase ganun kalalim ang support ng Linux sa mga network games, and think of it, most network games supports windows only. Yun lang bro. masaya ang linux kung gusto mo sya for documentations, browsing, email purpose. Pag nakabili ako laptop LInux sesetup ko.. with beryl! hehehe

when we checked the network tools it listed three "connections":

1. loopback interface

2. eth0

3. eth0:avahi

none of them work.

we tried the pppoeconf command and a host of other things, still no internet.

Help!! :(

In my case, it's eth0 that's being used. But one thing I always forgot was to turn the thing off before I start with pppoeconf. Try "sudo poff dsl-provider" first before running pppoeconf. If it gets you to where you're supposed to enter your user details then it should be ok. Although there are times that it's not the configuration that's problem but the name servers your DSL provider connects you to.

...err, but then again, I may be just as new to this as the next guy. :D

you tried ppp pero ppp ba gamit ng dsl provider mo?

did you try using another lan card besides the on board NIC?

honestly i don't know. i'm just grasping at straws here. it's digitel's dsl, i think it doesn't use static ip's.

we put in another LAN card - an ubuntu supported one at that - didn't work

In my case, it's eth0 that's being used. But one thing I always forgot was to turn the thing off before I start with pppoeconf. Try "sudo poff dsl-provider" first before running pppoeconf. If it gets you to where you're supposed to enter your user details then it should be ok. Although there are times that it's not the configuration that's problem but the name servers your DSL provider connects you to.

...err, but then again, I may be just as new to this as the next guy. :D

i'm a newbie too, though we've been using ubuntu since 5.10

they usually work well out of the box so i don't mess with the terminal too much.

this is the first time it's giving us problems

anyway, thanks for the suggestions! any more help would be appreciated :lol:

well, it really defends,, kung ang sinasabi mong network games ay counter strike or so, I advice you to use MS windows! may pirated naman pre e. Di pa kase ganun kalalim ang support ng Linux sa mga network games, and think of it, most network games supports windows only. Yun lang bro. masaya ang linux kung gusto mo sya for documentations, browsing, email purpose. Pag nakabili ako laptop LInux sesetup ko.. with beryl! hehehe

Noted. Many Thanks.

honestly i don't know. i'm just grasping at straws here. it's digitel's dsl, i think it doesn't use static ip's.

we put in another LAN card - an ubuntu supported one at that - didn't work

i'm a newbie too, though we've been using ubuntu since 5.10

they usually work well out of the box so i don't mess with the terminal too much.

this is the first time it's giving us problems

anyway, thanks for the suggestions! any more help would be appreciated :lol:

you might need to check on the ethernet's ip settings. check if you assigned any particular ip address, or it's set for dhcp. as most dsl links, dsl modems assigns the ip address via dhcp.

a few more hints.... run the command "dmesg | grep eth" to look for errors pertaining to your ethernet card, ip a l | grep inet to check your assigned ip address, "ip r l" to check the routing table: see if you are routing 0.0.0.0 or the default route to the right gateway.

and oh, make yourself acquainted to the terminal, TIMTOWTDI with the shell ;)

you might need to check on the ethernet's ip settings. check if you assigned any particular ip address, or it's set for dhcp. as most dsl links, dsl modems assigns the ip address via dhcp.

a few more hints.... run the command "dmesg | grep eth" to look for errors pertaining to your ethernet card, ip a l | grep inet to check your assigned ip address, "ip r l" to check the routing table: see if you are routing 0.0.0.0 or the default route to the right gateway.

and oh, make yourself acquainted to the terminal, TIMTOWTDI with the shell ;)

thanks for the reply sir :)

put in the dmesg command and it seems the computer acknowledges the ethernet card but the last line says "eth1: no ipv6 routers present". maybe that's the problem?

the ip a l grep net command yielded an IP address but the ip r l command has no output. isn't that strange? no routing table?

~siiiiggghhhh~

put in the dmesg command and it seems the computer acknowledges the ethernet card but the last line says "eth1: no ipv6 routers present". maybe that's the problem?

not really a problem, it just tells you that your system supports IPv6 but you have not assigned any IPv6 address. local ISPs are still using IPv4 or the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx scheme.

the ip a l grep net command yielded an IP address

care to post the output?

but the ip r l command has no output. isn't that strange? no routing table?

~siiiiggghhhh~

my best bet is you do not have a gateway defined :)

hmmm... baka nagkaloko-loko na yung network config since kung ano-ano na kinalikot. heheheheh

hitomi, balik mo muna yung settings sa DHCP. then tignan mo yung error ulit.

hehehe oo nga, we're doing a reinstall right now

hi sir cruesome, thanks for the replies :thumbsupsmiley:

will update after :mtc:

ok, reinstallation of ubuntu 7.04 is done.

we did it while it was connected to the dsl modem, hoping the internet connection would configure by itself. it didn't.

anyway, network tools lists a lot of devices:

1. loopback interface (lo)

2. ethernet interface (eth1)

3. ethernet interface (eth0)

4. ethernet interface (eth1:avahi)

5. ethernet interface (eth0:avahi)

ok, so the next step is? :lol:

we did it while it was connected to the dsl modem, hoping the internet connection would configure by itself. it didn't.

ifconfig mo, then check kung meron IP address, at kung meron paki lagay kung ano lumalabas..baka invalid yung binibigay(nangyari sa kasama ko, ip ng pc niya na may linux, 192.168.x.x, private kasi kaya di makakaconnect) :D

put the private ip (e.g. 192.168.0.254/24) on eth0, valid IP on eth1. hwag mo na pansinin yung loopback at yung natirang 2. then check mo yung routing table mo.

Edited by serpentor_ph
Guest Leviticus

tagal ko na hindi pumasok dito ah. the need for linux application just came up kasi. how to put up an ftp server using linux? I have with me RH9 and ubuntu. alin ang madali.

challenge nga lang ay p3 ang computer, 733 Mhz, 40 Gb hard disk, 128 RAM

any info is much appreciated

P3 with 128Mb ram shouldn't be that bad if acting as ftp server lang talaga yung box. after installation and configuration off mo nalang yung x and run everything sa console para konti overhead.

try out pureFTP - shouldn't matter which distro you use.

IIRC kapag nag install ka as text, by default runlevel 3 ang init.

kapag gui ka nag install, runeleve 5.

128mb kung recent distros ang gamit, i think hindi nito kaya ang graphical installation so dapat pag boot, walang X.

i think sa redhat derivatives ganto, not sure about debian and others.

2cents

Guest Leviticus

^^thanks guys. in my previous company I had significant exposure to OpenSuse 10.x versions. I'm looking for a version 8 but wala akong mahanap na versions (sayang because nasanay na ako sa OpenSuse). So I have resolved to learn RH9 all over again. iba kasi ang core ng RH as compared to ubuntu, too bad hindi tatakbo ang ubuntu 7 sa p3 unit dito.

I'll keep on posting on what are the developments (and problems) encountered during the ftp server setup.

again, thanks for the info :thumbsupsmiley:

IIRC kapag nag install ka as text, by default runlevel 3 ang init.

kapag gui ka nag install, runeleve 5.

128mb kung recent distros ang gamit, i think hindi nito kaya ang graphical installation so dapat pag boot, walang X.

i think sa redhat derivatives ganto, not sure about debian and others.

2cents

Try using an Xbox as an FTP server.. does it quite well and you don't need to worry about running it for quite a long time..

also would serve as your gaming machine, video server, dvd-player and all-around NAS drive so far works for me..

Guest Leviticus
Hello Linux gurus!

1. meron bang Photoshop and Flash equivalent and Linux distributions?

2. ano pinakafriendly na distribution (i.e. yung less worrisome for a newbie? internet problems, Ipod sync, phone sync)? Slackware, Ubuntu, etc?

in linux distros there is the program the gIMP that is the equivalent to photoshop, but flash (sorry hindi ako familiar with flash, this is an html graphics program right?) I think there is NVU as it's equivalent, not sure though.

kanya kanyang taste na ang type of distro that you get. go to www.distrowatch.com for a list of distros. for me ang pinakafriendly/comfortable ako ay Suse linux but problem lang ay malaki na rin ang requirement for it to run on computer.

I tried the ubuntu-server distro. at first takot ako sa console-type commands. hindi ako sanay sa walang gui. will take me a while to get used to it. will still forge on ahead with the ftp server though.. one diff that I realized was that ubuntu used a debian core or something similar to it.

Guest Leviticus
dude, ubuntu IS a debian-based distro. ;)

re:photoshop, flash, and linux distro

gimp still has a long way to go before it can be seriously considered as an alternative to photoshop.

if you want to create graphics and flash movies in linux, you have to do it through WINE or use a virtualization software to run windows.

ubuntu, by far, is the most user friendly distro i've tried to date.

hehe. though there are SOME similarities with redhat I still need to struggle with commands. the first hurdle was installing a tr.gz file. sanay ako sa .rpm :blush:

Hello Linux gurus!

1. meron bang Photoshop and Flash equivalent and Linux distributions?

2. ano pinakafriendly na distribution (i.e. yung less worrisome for a newbie? internet problems, Ipod sync, phone sync)? Slackware, Ubuntu, etc?

1. no, but you can try gimp, blender o blender3d (its close to PS), flash wala (dati may ffl[flash for linux] but nastop due to a legal ekek about flash being window$ only).but if you really want to run PS and flash, use VMWARE and if may prob with drivers use ndiswrapper...thats the most stable setup that i tried.

2. ubuntu or yung dating lindows(forgot the new name, google mo na lang)

------------------------------------

question of my own: anyone know any great opensource and preferably free virtualization software?

newbie rin po ako ng linux :) yung isang boss sa office namin sobrang linux os collector kaya nung humingi ako ng cd binigyan nya ako ng Mandriva, tapos nakakuha rin ako ng free cd ng ubuntu nung nagtry ako mag request sa website nila ng free cds, tapos nakapagdownload ako ng musix, grabe ano gagamitin ko ngayon dito hehehe :D

pero kakatuwa, sobrang promoted ang ubuntu ha, nung nagrequest ako sa website 2 wks pa lang piniapa pick up na sa post office sa min :)

have you tried installing apps through apt-get?

basta nasa repository ng ubuntu, auto download and install na yun application.

ie. "apt-get install <application>"

we have. we're using ubuntu and we didn't even have to use the command line (sorry po, please don't hate the noob :lol:)

just point and click.

i like ubuntu, it helps a lot of people make the transition from windows easier