Linux Anybody?

why do you want to add your user to the root group?

ayaw mo add nalang sa sudoers yung user?

security-wise, adding a regular user to root is not recommended.

you turn things over to the administrator, along with the root password. it's handy if you have your own account with root privileges, with or without the admins knowledge :D

hmm.. should have seen this question before.

you are using Ubuntu, right? there is no root group in Ubuntu. I believe they disabled this. I may be wrong, correction from the community would be nice.

If I remember correctly, I was also trying to add my user to the root group until I realized that I can only give root privileges to myself via sudo/su command

there's no defined group for root, altho the passwd gid zero works

Tried Ubuntu, SLAX, and Suse but didnt want to muck around with the command line anymore. Easiest distro I have ever used is PCLinuxOS. Worked out of the box, can view youtube, pdf files, play media files, etc. Its worked so well that the only reason I have WinXP on my system anymore is to play games. (Wine/Cedega dosent really work that well yet.)

Next on the my list is PC-BSD which is supposed to be more stable and easy to use than Linux...but we'll see.

su is for switching users. if used alone (without any argument) you can switch to root.

sudo is for giving a user administrative privileges with password authentication.

note: allowed privileges is configurable and can be limited to certain programs and files only.

in ubuntu feisty fawn, su - does not work anymore. just found out that they are using sudo bash now. not sure about other distros.

Guest Leviticus
Thanks, I hope future release of ubuntu or fedora have this feature.

hmm.. ubuntu has this feature (online repository) but with fedora it sometimes gets tricky because you have to download it and then install it; but both of them has their repositories.

I just switch to pclinux2007 a few weeks ago. It's like learning how to use a pc all over again at least in my case. One thing good about this OS is that my wireless signal is not dropping out. Hopefully I learn how to use it before I completely get frustrated with it.

have patience my friend. after all, its free. :D

Don't know if this is the right forum to ask, I'm handling all linux system in our company, but for some reason we have this project in HP-UX, just new to this system and would like to ask if anyone would like to recommend a good book for this?

I know solaris, but for some reason this HP-UX is a little different.

Any suggestion or recommendation would be appreciated =)

Nope, it's not obsolete, it's a proprietary system in HP, just like Sun they have this Solaris systems. We are planning to implement SAP and Oracle to this machine didn't know why they preferred using HP-UX since i'm just new to that company. Although this implementation still be in next year. It would be wise to know it in advance.

Search the e-book, could not find any HP-Unix, or probably miss it.

Nope, it's not obsolete, it's a proprietary system in HP, just like Sun they have this Solaris systems. We are planning to implement SAP and Oracle to this machine didn't know why they preferred using HP-UX since i'm just new to that company. Although this implementation still be in next year. It would be wise to know it in advance.

Search the e-book, could not find any HP-Unix, or probably miss it.

found it; here you go:

The 32-bit PA-RISC Run-time Architecture Document, HP-UX 10.20, Version 3

Don't know if this is the right forum to ask, I'm handling all linux system in our company, but for some reason we have this project in HP-UX, just new to this system and would like to ask if anyone would like to recommend a good book for this?

I know solaris, but for some reason this HP-UX is a little different.

Any suggestion or recommendation would be appreciated =)

~agh0st

here's another ebook for hp-ux: hp-ux system & network fundamentals

enjoy!