Linux Anybody?

Guest Leviticus

^^actually, same tayo na ubuntu for desktop and fedora for server. habit din siguro I guess. Ubuntu WAS designed for desktop application (except yung ubuntu server) while fedora (version 7 na right?) has been around longer than ubuntu and the thought of Fedora as a server just comes automatic.

ewan ko ha (experience rin siguro) but palpak na palpak para sa akin ang RHE as a server :thumbsdownsmiley: napagiwanan na ng fedora to think na beta-version ang fedora ng RH

Guest Leviticus
yeah, i know the feeling of getting used to it.

from your evaluations, is fedora stable enough like unix?

hhmm... fedora stable enough? :thumbsupsmiley: it depends on how you use it.

ganito na lang.. I once installed Fedora 4 in a CPU na kumukurap kurap na sa WinXP; meaning kahit ilang beses ko na install ay feeling ko masisira na ang hardware. I cleaned the CPU inside and outside first and installed Fedora as a means to learn linux hands-on. my intention at that time was to use the cpu as a testing unit for fedora, tutal masisira naman na eh.

eight months of continuous (24/7 naka-on) operation as a webserver, ftp, samba, and chatserver saka ko switch off for cleaning again. the only time na switched off.

wala na ako sa kumpanya kong yun but still operational ang fedora server na ginawa ko

i have not tried installing fedora myself so i cant comment on anything, from redhat i moved to debian. why? simple reason, debian is still free and looking for software dependencies is not difficult because of the apt utility. then this yum came which i heard its the same a apt ( gaya-gaya he he he). then i tried using ubuntu as workstation, parang mas cool sa aking yung ubuntu server edition nila ngayon compared to debian. though we still deploy debian for customer installation.

Guest Leviticus
i just want to add one user to "root" w/ su or sudo.

hmm.. should have seen this question before.

you are using Ubuntu, right? there is no root group in Ubuntu. I believe they disabled this. I may be wrong, correction from the community would be nice.

If I remember correctly, I was also trying to add my user to the root group until I realized that I can only give root privileges to myself via sudo/su command